Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seahawks sweating the Wistrom deal?

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2465382

The Seahawks have to be sweating a little after paying big bucks to free-agent DE Grant Wistrom. Why? QB Matt Hasselbeck and RB Shaun Alexander, probably the team's two best players, are in the final years of their contracts. The Seahawks would like to get something done with each before the season begins. Odds are the team will be able to sign Hasselbeck to an extension, but Alexander might be more difficult to sign. . . .

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Seahawks DE Wistrom out at least six weeks
    by Nick
    Seahawks DE Wistrom out at least six weeks

KIRKLAND, Washington - The Seattle Seahawks will have to make their playoff push without defensive end Grant Wistrom.

Coach Mike Holmegren announced Monday that Wistrom will miss up to six weeks with ligament damage in his left knee.

Holmgren did indicate that Wistrom may be able to return for the playoffs.

Wistrom was injured in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 27-23 victory at Minnesota. Earlier this season, Wistrom missed four games with a broken bone in his knee.

The Seahawks (7-6) moved into first place in the NFC West with Sunday's win, one game ahead his former team - the St. Louis Rams.

Wistrom spent his first six seasons with the Rams before signing a six-year, $33 million deal with the Seahawks. He has 3 1/2 sacks in nine games this season.
    -12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
  • RamDez
    Seahawks DE downplays matchup with former team
    by RamDez
    Seahawks DE downplays matchup with former team

By TIM KORTE
    AP SPORTS WRITER

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Grant Wistrom remembers the animosity on the field between NFC West rivals Seattle and St. Louis.

Now, it's not so clear.

Any free agent who switches teams within the same division knows what's coming twice a year: showdowns against former teammates and endless questions about how it's going to feel.

That's the case this week for Wistrom, who spent his first six NFL seasons with the St. Louis Rams (2-2).

"I think everybody is making a bigger deal about this than I am," said Wistrom, who ranks second on the Seahawks (3-0) with 2 1/2 sacks. "When the opening kickoff happens, you forget about all that stuff. It's just another football team."

Oh, but there's a little extra invested for Wistrom this week.

Not only is he facing his former teammates, but for the first time he'll line up against the potent Rams offense directed by his old coach, Mike Martz, a man he grew to know very well.

Martz said Wistrom's departure had "a deep, deep emotional impact. He's like one of my family, like one of my kids."

Wistrom's reasons for leaving were sound, Martz said. Wistrom received a $33 million contract that included a $14 million signing bonus, and Martz said he believes the star defender deserves that kind of money.

"I don't look forward to playing him," Martz said. "I've watched him on tape and I think he's really playing very well."

Wistrom went out of his way in recent years to stand up for Martz when he felt the coach was being unfairly maligned.

"We were pretty tight," Wistrom said. "I really appreciate coach Martz. When he was catching a lot of heat, I always stood behind him. I told him that I believed in him as a coach, and I think he receives a lot of undue criticism."

Another unusual experience for Wistrom will be matching up against five-time Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Pace. They routinely faced off in blocking drills, but Wistrom expects this to be different.

"It's going to be a 60-minute battle," Wistrom said. "I practiced against him for six years, but Orlando's practice speed and his game speed are two different things. I'm going to have to work."

There's one more twist.

Wistrom was fined $5,000 by the NFL last season for flattening Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck during the Rams' 27-22 win in St. Louis. The next day, Hasselbeck called it "a great block."

That's ancient history, though, because Hasselbeck understands Wistrom's full-throttle approach on the field. They're buddies now, and it's not unusual to see them trading good-natured barbs in the locker room.

"He's just a good guy," Hasselbeck...
    -10-06-2004, 10:29 PM
  • DJRamFan
    [Seahawks] Notebook: Seahawks hold breath on Lucas
    by DJRamFan
    By José Miguel Romero
    Seattle Times staff reporter

E-mail this article
    Print this article
    Search archive
    Most read articles
    Most e-mailed articles

KIRKLAND — The news on Seahawks cornerback Ken Lucas was positive yesterday, but the question of when he will play again remains.

The answer hinges on his ability to do the most basic of things: Breathe.

He was diagnosed with a bruised lung.

The starter at right cornerback all season, Lucas left Sunday's game in the second quarter when he fell hard to the ground after breaking up a pass down the sideline for San Francisco's Brandon Lloyd. Lucas leapt to knock down the ball, and his chest was the first part of his body to hit the ground.

To make matters worse, Lloyd landed on top of Lucas.

Lucas was transported to San Francisco General Hospital after having trouble breathing. He was kept overnight for observation, then released yesterday. He returned to Seattle last night.

"Typically, with this kind of injury, there's a 24-hour period where they have to watch the patient and make sure there's no more problems," coach Mike Holmgren said. "And Ken was doing fine. He (the doctor) equated it with someone in a car accident with the steering wheel hitting your chest and causing that sort of problem."

Sunday

Seattle at St. Louis, 10 a.m., Ch. 13

Lucas was administered oxygen as he was wheeled off the field in a cart. Lucas was replaced by Kris Richard, and after the game Holmgren told reporters that Lucas had suffered a bruised chest.

"No question about it, I was worried about him," said Richard, who spoke to Lucas yesterday morning via cell phone. "He tried to get up a couple times and fell back down. You see a guy trying to get back on his feet and falling down, and it's like, 'Ooh, wait a minute. That can't be that good.' "

Holmgren expected Lucas to be at team headquarters tomorrow for treatment and meetings.

"In Ken coming back to play, (the problem) won't be any sort of contact or blows here, it's his ability to breathe and get his lungs back so he can do cardiovascular type of activities," Holmgren said. "We were worried for him, prayed for him last night.

"We have to just see how quickly he recovers and can breathe normally. That's my understanding, but we won't know for a couple of days."

Engram, Wistrom hope to play

Wide receiver Bobby Engram and defensive end Grant Wistrom, who have both missed the past three games with leg injuries, could be back Sunday against St. Louis.

Both will try to practice this week. Wistrom is doubtful, Holmgren said, but Engram has a much better chance. ...
    -11-11-2004, 11:25 AM
  • RamWraith
    Wistrom looks to be out
    by RamWraith
    Seahawks | Wistrom Misses Practice, Not Expected to Play in Wild Card Game - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:31:43 -0800

Seattle Seahawks DE Grant Wistrom (knee) missed practice Tuesday, Jan. 4, and is not expected to play in the NFC Wild Card game versus the St. Louis Rams Saturday, Jan. 8. Wistrom is officially listed as doubtful this week.
    -01-05-2005, 06:15 AM
  • RamWraith
    Was/Is Wistrom hurt???
    by RamWraith
    What do you make of this??

Seahawks | Wistrom Not Practicing - from www.KFFL.com
    Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:23:34 -0700

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks DE Grant Wistrom has not practiced in the team's final offseason minicamp workouts.
    -06-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Working...
X