• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Smith retired

Jaguars' WR Jimmy Smith to retire

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 3 minutes ago

Jimmy Smith, one of the most prolific receivers over the course of the past 10 seasons has abruptly decided to retire from professional football.

FOXSports.com has learned that Smith, has informed Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach Jack Del Rio of his intention to call it quits after 12 seasons.
    The team is expected to hold a press a press conference Thursday to announce the decision unless Smith has an 11th-hour change of heart.

Re: Jimmy Smith retired

Wow, that was kind of... out of the blue.

Comment

He might have said something BEFORE the draft! :phone:

Comment

This is good news. Jimmy Smith is a great WR, but this will allow the GOAT to move up the list one more notch in the all time receiving yds list. Now on to Marvin Harrisons retirement...
        http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/ca...?cat=Receiving

Comment

wow...im shocked, he still had tons left in the tank

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianRam!
            I totally agree and was a very underrated Wr. Very fun to watch!

Comment

I hope Smith returns cuz hes a great reciever and He needs to help the jaguars beat Colts next season

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianRam!

He is 37 I don't know if you meant he looks healthy but 37 isn't really football age.

Comment

Jerry Rice played until 40 or something around that #

Comment

Originally posted by rams_fan81
                    He is 37 I don't know if you meant he looks healthy but 37 isn't really football age.
                    He had a 1,000+ yard receiving season last year. The guy can still play regardless of age, which I think is what CanadianRam! was getting at.

Comment

With a 1,000 yd receiving year hopefully coming, Isaac Bruce will be 6th all time in Receiving yds. Hall of Fame? I say yes. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
                        He had a 1,000+ yard receiving season last year. The guy can still play regardless of age, which I think is what CanadianRam! was getting at.

Ya I didn't know what he meant that is why I said "I don't know if you meant health." Look at Jerry Rice from 2002 to 2003 he went from 1211 yards and 7 TDs to 869 yards and 2 TDs.

Comment

Ah, lest you forget...no more drug testing. Perhaps there was a drug testing issue that popped up again. He was in the league's substance abuse program and previously served a 4 game suspension.

Comment

Great vid of his Career
                            http:// jaguars.bassinhound.net/videos/jimmymont.html

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                              Smith is out this wekend
                              by RamWraith
                              Looks like Dilfer...

From Rotoworld:

Alex Smith-QB-***** Nov. 15 - 3:54 pm et

Alex Smith (forearm, shoulder) expects to hear from Dr. James Andrews about the results of an MRI by this weekend.
                              Smith has been ruled out for Week 11 while the ***** wait on Andrews' prognosis. "I think so," Smith answered when asked whether he'll be able to play again this year. "A lot of it has to do with what Dr. Andrews thinks and what our doctors think...how long it's going to take for this to go away."

Trent Dilfer-QB-***** Nov. 15 - 3:38 pm et

The ***** will start Trent Dilfer over Alex Smith in Week 11.
                              Smith has been dealing with severe soreness in his shoulder and right forearm for several weeks. Dilfer will make his third start of the season versus St. Louis. In his first two, the 35-year-old threw three picks and three touchdowns. He'd be a desperate pickup in shallow leagues. It's uncertain when or whether Smith will return to the starting lineup this season.
                              -11-15-2007, 02:11 PM
                            • bruce4life
                              What is Jason Smith???
                              by bruce4life
                              Is he a bust, stud, work in progress, solid player?

In your opinion what is he?
                              -03-16-2010, 06:54 PM
                            • RamWraith
                              Smith gets a chance to start with Rams
                              by RamWraith
                              By Jim Thomas
                              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                              Sunday, Aug. 06 2006

Paul Smith came into the NFL as an unheralded fifth-round pick out of Texas-El
                              Paso.

In six NFL seasons with San Francisco and Detroit, he has only one touchdown on
                              his resume.

A fullback-halfback 'tweener, his very modest career totals are 210 yards
                              rushing and 182 yards receiving. To put that in perspective, Marshall Faulk has
                              topped those rushing and receiving totals in a single game.

Fittingly, Smith joined the Rams with no fanfare May 6, signing a one-year deal
                              paying him $585,000 in base salary.

And at Saturday's scrimmage, when the Rams' offensive unit broke the huddle for
                              its first play - there was Smith, again minus the fanfare, with the starters.

"I guess they like what I've done at practice," Smith, 28, said. "I'm happy for
                              the opportunity to do that. Hopefully, I'll run with it and do well."

Smith learned Friday that he would work with the starting unit - ahead of last
                              year's Rams starter, Madison Hedgecock.

Kind of made your day, right?

"Oh yeah," Smith said. "It made my whole year."

Whether Smith holds on to the job remains to be seen. But he has clearly made
                              an impression with coach Scott Linehan and his staff.

"A fullback's role is a thankless job," Linehan said. "Paul comes out every
                              day, and he tries to put it right on the numbers and put a guy on his back. And
                              that's what you're looking for. Plus, he has the ability to catch the ball."

Previously, Smith had carved out a niche for himself in the NFL as a hard-nosed
                              special teams player.

"I've always been the wedge-buster, things like that," Smith said. "Setting the
                              tempo for games. Sticking my nose in there on lead blocks and things like that."

Over the years, Smith has gotten a few chances at halfback and fullback, for
                              three seasons with Steve Mariucci in San Francisco, and then following Mariucci
                              to Detroit in 2003.

Smith has been slowed by injuries at times. He missed five weeks in 2002 in San
                              Francisco with a hamstring injury. He missed the entire 2004 season in Detroit
                              with a shoulder injury.

On the field, whether it was at halfback or fullback, Smith rarely touched the
                              football. In 55 NFL games, he has only 46 carries and 18 receptions. His career
                              high in receptions - five - came in '03, when Smith's Lions upset the Rams
                              30-20 in a regular-season finale that cost St. Louis home-field advantage in
                              the playoffs.

But playing fullback, Smith says, "is not about stats. What your running back
                              does,...
                              -08-07-2006, 05:00 AM
                            • swatter555
                              Steve Smith
                              by swatter555
                              During yesturdays game I found myself wishing we had someone like Steve Smith, maybe 2 dozen times. If Bradford had a target like Smith, he could put up pro-bowl numbers the second half of the season. Watching Smith consistently come free almost every play was painful, but made me hopeful for next year that the front office might actually pursue a true #1 in the off-season.

Our poor recievers were blanketed most of the game, but did make a few good plays despite that. Oh well, heres hoping for next year.
                              -11-01-2010, 06:58 AM
                            • RamsInfiniti
                              Jason Smith rushed to hospital in ambulance after game
                              by RamsInfiniti
                              No details, posted on twitter, and on the radio ...

More to come.
                              -11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
                            Working...
                            X