• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins to lower offer to Ogunleye

Dolphins to lower offer to Ogunleye
    By ARMANDO SALGUERO
    [email protected]

The Dolphins today are expected to lower Adewale Ogunleye's one-year contract tender from $1.8 million to about $412,000 in a move to protect their interests in case the team's 2003 MVP sits out training camp and most of the regular season.

Miami will exercise the option in Article 19 of the league's collective bargaining agreement, which stipulates that a club can withdraw its original qualifying offer to an unsigned restricted free agent and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting an offer equal to 110 percent of the player's salary from the previous season.

The Dolphins originally tendered Ogunleye at $1.8 million, the highest possible level, so teams interested in signing the defensive end would have to compensate Miami with a first- and third-round draft pick for the privilege.

Although Ogunleye led the AFC with 15 sacks in 2003, no team made him an offer and none called the Dolphins about negotiating a lower compensation level.

NO COMMENT

Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman was tight-lipped about the team's intentions to lower the tender but promised to explain the action once it takes place.

''There's really nothing to discuss, and if there's stuff we need to talk about and address, we will at the appropriate time,'' Spielman said.

Unless Ogunleye signs the $1.8 million tender today, the Dolphins will lower the offer and save nearly $1.4 million in cap space.

Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Ogunleye, also declined to comment.

''It's really something I'd rather wait to talk about,'' he said. ``But [today] may be a good day for commentary on the matter.''

Rosenhaus and Ogunleye have made it clear that unless they can come to a long-term agreement with the Dolphins, the player will not report to training camp and likely will sit out all but the final six regular-season games.

Ogunleye already has skipped the team's offseason conditioning program and four offseason camps and was not at the training facility Monday for the start of a fifth camp.

FAR APART

The team and the player have admitted they are not close on the terms of a multiyear contract.

Ogunleye must play the final six regular-season games to earn an accrued season and qualify as an unrestricted free agent next offseason.

CUTTING BACK

That threat and the promise Rosenhaus made earlier that Ogunleye would not sign the $1.8 million tender have pointed the team toward reducing the tender. The Dolphins don't want to be put in a position where they are rewarding Ogunleye for sitting out much of the season.

Ogunleye would get six seventeenths of $412,000 (about $146,000) in that case. The club also is aware that it would have to find suitable replacements for Ogunleye should he sit out, and having the extra cap space can help the team bring in players if necessary.

The move today is not necessarily permanent. Although the team would not be able to lower its one-year offer if it missed today's deadline, it can still sign Ogunleye to a higher multiyear offer if the sides agree to that.

Re: Dolphins to lower offer to Ogunleye

Good, that's an old defense just getting older now.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
      Dolphin talks with Ogunleye reaching impasse? - ESPN
      by Nick
      2003 team MVP, club far apart on terms
      By Len Pasquarelli
      ESPN.com

Roller coaster contract negotiations between the Miami Dolphins and restricted free agent defensive end Adewale Ogunleye have dipped to the point where agent Drew Rosenhaus on Friday expressed doubt another whether a deal will ever be consummated.

"At this juncture, it's a shame to put it in these terms, but I'd have to say that we're really at an impasse," Rosenhaus said. "There's a pretty big gap. Realistically, I just don't know how, or even if, we can get it done."

The remarks came only a few weeks after both sides expressed guarded optimism a deal could be struck, and only a week after Ogunleye used a team banquet at which he was named the Dolphins' most valuable player for 2003 to lobby Miami officials in attendance to get negotiations moving in a positive direction.

Almost as significant, Rosenhaus' assessment of the stalled negotiations came only four days before the critical date of June 15, when the Dolphins can reduce their qualifying offer to Ogunleye if he remains unsigned.

In early March, the Dolphins tendered Ogunleye a one-year proposal of $1.824 million, the highest qualifying offer for a restricted free agent, to retain a right of first refusal in the event another team signed the AFC sack leader for 2003 to an offer sheet. But the collective bargaining agreement permits the team to reduce that offer to 110 percent of Oguneleye's base salary of $375,000 for 2003 if he isn't signed by June 15.

Should the Dolphins exercise that prerogative, a possibility that Rosenhaus declined to address, it would drop the qualifying offer to just $412,500. Then again, given the tenor of talks, it wasn't as if Ogunleye was going to sign the $1.824 million offer either. The goal of Ogunleye and Rosenhaus has always been to secure a long-term deal and, if the Dolphins declined to offer one, to seek a trade.

Dropping the qualifying offer to the lower number could inject a degree of acrimony, one that has been absent to this point, into the negotiations.

"We're still looking for a contract somewhere between the one Jevon Kearse signed as an unrestricted free agent this year and the one that 'KGB' got as a restricted guy last year," Rosenhaus said. "That's where we feel the market for 'Wale' should be."

In a deal negotiated by Rosenhaus, Kearse two months ago left the Tennessee Titans and signed an eight-year contract for $66 million with the Philadelphia Eagles, including $16 million in upfront money. Last spring, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila received a signing bonus of $11 million as part of a seven-year, $37.1 million contract to re-sign with the Green Bay Packers as a restricted free agent.

Ogunleye, 26, led the AFC in sacks in 2003, with 15. A year earlier, in his first season as a starter...
      -06-13-2004, 11:58 AM
    • DJRamFan
      Ogunleye could be on the trading block
      by DJRamFan
      By Len Pasquarelli
      ESPN.com

Troubled teams often make reckless moves and, with the Miami Dolphins desperate to fill their yawning hole at tailback, general manager Rick Spielman might now be forced to consider using defensive end Adewale Ogunleye as trade bait in his effort to replace the abruptly retired Ricky Williams.

Insider's Randy Mueller, who as GM of the Saints traded Ricky Williams to the Dolphins, isn't shocked by Ricky's decision to walk away from the game, citing a history of "off-the-wall decisions."

Mueller: Ricky predictably unpredictable

Become an Insider
      The unsigned Ogunleye, coming off a breakthrough 2003 season in which he led the AFC in sacks, is an attractive bargaining chip who was quietly courted by several teams before the draft. Spielman could conceivably approach some of those teams, notably Minnesota and Chicago, about a deal. Both the Bears and Vikings, with solid tailback depth, could offer a solution to the Dolphins' need for a proven runner.

But in a twist nearly as mind-numbing as Williams' retirement, the agent for Ogunleye said Sunday that he now is more confident than at any time in recent months that his client will strike a deal that keeps him with the Dolphins.

"I don't have any [contract] proposals to back it up and, from a numbers standpoint, we haven't moved much from where we were [weeks ago]," agent Drew Rosenhaus said. "But I sense more urgency from both sides to get something done. You're right, in that the Ricky Williams development improves Adewale's situation, but it doesn't necessarily mean a trade."

Indeed, the Dolphins organization could react to Williams' retirement by deciding to fill from within or sign a veteran free agent, and simply try to compensate in part for his exit by getting better on the defensive side of the ball. But the Dolphins statistically rated No. 10 in overall defense in 2003 and, even by retaining Ogunleye, might not get significantly better than that this season.

Adewale Ogunleye
      Defensive End
      Miami Dolphins

2003 SEASON STATISTICS
      Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
      64 45 19 2 15 0

A restricted free agent, Ogunleye was granted the "high level" qualifying offer of $1.824 million by the Dolphins in February, a move that provided the team the right to match any offer he receives from another team. From the outset, however, Ogunleye has been seeking a long-term deal commensurate to those signed by other high-profile ends. When he did not sign the Miami qualifying offer by mid-April, the Dolphins, per their rights in the collective bargaining agreement, reduced their offer to $455,000.

That's where things have remained and,...
      -07-26-2004, 05:45 PM
    • bruce4life
      fins to release a few players...
      by bruce4life
      No deal for Dolphins' McIntosh
      BY JEFF DARLINGTON
      [email protected]

JARED LAZARUS
      NO DEAL: Dolphins offensive lineman Damion McIntosh and the team have come to a standstill on contract talks and it appears more likely that McIntosh will not return to Miami next season.MiamiHerald.com

After initial conversations about a potential new contract failed to materialize, Dolphins left tackle Damion McIntosh now appears likely to join a growing list of significant players not expected to return to Miami's roster next season.

McIntosh's agent said Monday it is more likely that his client will be available to other teams when free agency begins next week. The Dolphins have decided to explore other options for a tackle to compete with L.J. Shelton next season.

''After further discussions with the Dolphins, it appears unlikely that anything will happen prior to the start of free agency,'' said Brett Tessler, McIntosh's agent. ``When you consider the weak tackle market combined with the great season Damion had, I expect there to be solid interest elsewhere.''

Last week, it became clear the Dolphins also had made preliminary plans to part ways with quarterback Joey Harrington and guard Seth McKinney, and defensive end Kevin Carter's fate remains in discussions.

Those moves, which are likely by the week's end, have yet to be made. Unlike McIntosh, each of the other three players is still under contract.

Though management still could decide to offer McIntosh a contract if other options fall through, it is clear they have other plans.

That could mean giving the starting role to Shelton and feeling comfortable with Anthony Alabi as a backup. Or it could mean the Dolphins plan to scour the free agent market, which could result in overspending.

The draft is another option, but Wisconsin's Joe Thomas -- who is expected to be a top-three pick -- might be the only option with top-10 potential.
      -02-27-2007, 06:04 PM
    • Nick
      Is team gauging interest in unsigned Ogunleye?
      by Nick
      Is team gauging interest in unsigned Ogunleye?
      By ARMANDO SALGUERO
      [email protected]

The Dolphins have gauged trade interest for unsigned defensive end Adewale Ogunleye ''in passing'' during recent weeks, an NFL front office source said.

While the Dolphins' stated public stance is they wish to sign Ogunleye, the club has asked teams if they have interest in Ogunleye while conducting talks concerning other available players, the source said.

General manager Rick Spielman declined to comment on any trade talks the Dolphins might or might not have had.

''No one has called, and we haven't talked to anyone directly about it,'' coach Dave Wannstedt said Monday about the prospect of trading Ogunleye.

It would be difficult for the Dolphins to work a trade for Ogunleye because of the salary cap consequences for the parties. The interested team would have to sign Ogunleye to a large contract, then trade a player or draft picks -- or both -- to Miami.

And that would not be a cheap proposition because the Dolphins likely would demand equal value in return for trading Ogunleye, who earned a Pro Bowl berth last season after recording an AFC-leading 15 sacks.

Any Pro Bowl-caliber player the Dolphins would get likely would come with a sizable contract.

Miami has nonetheless made no secret it has contacted several NFL teams in the past 10 days to discuss adding offensive help -- presumably a running back or wide receiver.

BANKS: `I'M ALL RIGHT'

Cornerback Korey Banks will be in a neck brace until later this week and won't play in Saturday night's preseason game against Washington. But the injury that kept him lying on the field for nearly 10 minutes Saturday night is no more serious than a stinger.

''I'm all right,'' Banks said Monday, dispelling fears he might have suffered a serious spinal injury. ``I was just kind of dazed. I could have gotten up, but they told me to stay down.''

THIS AND THAT

The Dolphins waived injured receiver Kendall Newson and cornerback Alphonso Roundtree on Monday. Newson underwent surgery Monday at Doctors Hospital in Coral Gables to repair a torn left Achilles' tendon.

Antuan Edwards took first-team repetitions ahead of Arturo Freeman on Monday. Freeman, slated as the starter at free safety before training camp, took second-team snaps. Edwards is expected to start Saturday against Washington.
      -08-17-2004, 08:01 AM
    • Nick
      Justin Smiley (G, *****) signs five-year deal with Dolphins
      by Nick
      Smiley agrees to five-year deal with Dolphins

The free-agent signing period has barely started and the ***** have already lost a player.

Guard Justin Smiley has agreed to terms with the Dolphins on a five-year, $25 million contract than includes a $9 million signing bonus, he said. He is scheduled to fly to Miami early Friday morning to sign the contract and make it official.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity," Smiley said on the phone just moments ago. "Miami called as soon as they were able to call me and told me they'd like to have me down there. They called me right after it (free agency) started. They offered me that (contract). I feel very blessed. It feels good to have security. I want to go down there and give them every penny's worth and play hard for them."

Smiley said he is slated to play right guard for the Dolphins. Smiley resides in Ellabel, Ga., and attended Alabama.

"To me, it seems like a good fit, me being from the South," Smiley said. "There are a lot of other factors you have to weigh when you're considering a situation like this. I talked to them just a little while ago, and this is flattering that they came after me like this."

Smiley was a second-round pick of the ***** in 2004. He and the ***** were far apart in contract talks, dating back the past two seasons. He said he has not yet spoken to the *****.

"It's a bummer because those guys mean a lot to me," Smiley said. "Being around those other offensive linemen and the organization, it made a positive impact in my life. The fans of San Francisco, they're faithful. I always hoped I could be a 49er, but it didn't work out."

Smiley started all 32 games in 2005 and '06. He played most of the '06 season with a torn left labrum. He sustained a dislocated right shoulder in the eighth game last season and had season-ending surgery Nov. 13. He probably will not take part in any contact until training camp, as a precaution.

Smiley will undoubtedly have to pass a physical with the Dolphins. He said that should be no problem, as his rehabilitation is ahead of schedue.
      -02-29-2008, 12:27 AM
    Working...
    X