X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Bowl ring found in mall bathroom

By BROOKE DONALD
    The Associated Press
    PROVIDENCE, R.I. - It could be called a rookie mistake.

First-year New England Patriots linebacker Tully Banta-Cain left his diamond-studded Super Bowl ring in a bathroom at Providence Place Mall on Saturday, when he removed it to wash his hands. He returned minutes later, but the 14-karat white gold ring was gone. He alerted mall security and filed a report with police.

On Monday, Banta-Cain was reunited with the championship ring, thanks to Lou Schorr, a fan who found the ring on the edge of a sink in the mall, Schorr and a team spokesman said yesterday.

"I saw this clunker of a ring, just sitting there," Schorr said. "I carefully picked it up, placed it in a paper towel and put it in my pocket. Then I quickly went home."

Schorr, of Waltham, Mass., wasn't sure if the ring was the real thing, so he checked it against pictures on the team's Web site.

The Super Bowl XXXVIII rings were given to the players by Patriots owner Robert Kraft on June 13. The ring Schorr found had Banta-Cain's name on it, his No. 48, and the phrase "15 straight, undefeated at home."
    Schorr said he was a "nervous wreck" when he realized the ring belonged to a Super Bowl champ.

"This was serious stuff. There were so many diamonds it was like getting a bolt of lightning in your eyes when you looked at it," he said.

Schorr held onto the ring, showing it to friends and sleeping with it under his pillow.

He contacted the Patriots Monday morning. He said he never thought about keeping the ring, said to be worth more than $20,000.

Banta-Cain picked up the ring from Schorr's office in Canton, Mass., on Monday afternoon, after Schorr's co-workers posed for pictures with it.

"He was so thankful and such a gentleman. This poor guy had probably been devastated," Schorr said.
    Team spokesman Stacey James said Banta-Cain was relieved and thankful.

For his honesty, Schorr received autographed pictures of Banta-Cain and has been invited to the Patriots home opener against Indianapolis.

Re: Super Bowl ring found in mall bathroom

Originally posted by Ferter
    "I saw this clunker of a ring, just sitting there," Schorr said. "I carefully picked it up, placed it in a paper towel and put it in my pocket. Then I quickly went home."
    What an upstanding citizen.

Frankly, he doesn't impress me.

Comment

Leaving a Super Bowl ring in the bathroom ... lol....some players may not be all that bright.
      sigpic

Comment

That is exactly what I was thinking Utter, how in the world do you forget you have the Super Bowl ring on? And another thing, why wear that type of bling bling to the freakin mall?

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
          That is exactly what I was thinking Utter, how in the world do you forget you have the Super Bowl ring on? And another thing, why wear that type of bling bling to the freakin mall?
          It's all about getting attention. Very bling bling. :redface:
          sigpic

Comment

An autographed picture of who and an invitation to the home opener? For a Super Bowl ring worth $20,000? Mighty generous of the Pats.

Comment

If the Pats shelled out any actual money though, I bet Poston would have been on their ass about Law's new contract. I can see it now. "You gave that fool a reward, but Ty Law doesn't get a better contract!?"

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                Brady holds up Super Bowl Trophy
                by RamWraith
                Thought you all might find this interesting, taken 2001.

-02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
              • steviej
                Super Bowl?
                by steviej
                When will we get into the Super Bowl?
                Steven Jackson gets atleast 1,300 yards in one season
                16.67%
                we get atleast 11 wins
                27.78%
                Marc Bulger has 35 td's in a season
                27.78%
                Torry Holt and Mard Bulger hook-up atleast 10 times
                5.56%
                When hell freezes over
                22.22%
                -12-29-2005, 05:10 PM
              • psycho9985
                Pats lose a Ring
                by psycho9985
                story behind the story...

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:46 a.m. EDT

Putin Keeps Pats Owner's Super Bowl Ring

Was it a big misunderstanding, or just a generous gift when President Vladimir Putin of Russia made off with New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft's Super Bowl ring?

Following a meeting of American business executives and Putin at Konstantinovsky Palace near St. Petersburg last Saturday, according to Russian news reports, Kraft showed his 4.94-carat, diamond-encrusted 2005 Super Bowl ring to the Russian president, who tried it on, then put it in his pocket and left.

Story Continues Below

It was not immediately clear whether Kraft, whose business interests also include paper and packaging companies and venture capital investments, intended for Putin to keep the ring.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James said the owner is still traveling in Europe and wasn't available for comment.

"I've seen the story, and I've gotten other calls," James said Tuesday. "I wish I could confirm it, but I just don't have any way to."

Yevgeniy Khorishko, a spokesman at the Russian embassy in Washington, said he had no information about the matter.

A Kremlin spokeman on Wednesday refused to comment on the matter.

Tokens given to the Russian president normally are kept in the state treasury, but in this case, the Super Bowl ring was deposited in the Kremlin library, according to a report in Kommersant, a leading Russian business newspaper. Kraft handed out Super Bowl rings to players and coaches during a gathering at his Brookline home two weeks ago. The team wouldn't say how much each ring is worth, other than it cost more than $15,000. The Pats have won three of the last four Super Bowls. 2005 The Associated Press

-06-29-2005, 06:50 AM
              • GreatestShow99
                Jim Thomas: Super Bowl loss still stings
                by GreatestShow99
                Feb. 3, 2002--New England Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri kicks a 48-yard field goal as time runs out to give the Patriots a 20-17 win over the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans. (Chris Lee/P-D)

To this day, defensive end Leonard Little has never watched the entire game.

"Never will," Little said. "Because I felt that the best team didn't win that day. We didn't win; they won the game. It goes to show that anything can happen on any given day."

What happened on that day, Feb. 3, 2002, was one of the greatest upsets in Super Bowl history. The heavily favored Rams, at the apex of their brief but brilliant run as the Greatest Show on Turf, were toppled by the upstart New England Patriots 20-17 in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Now, as the Rams wind down preparations for Sunday's game at New England their first trip to Foxborough since that 2001 season Little is one of only four players left from that squad.

Although he wasn't a starter that season, Little had a breakout year with 14 sacks, a total that remains his career high. He had another sack in that Super Bowl. Orlando Pace started at left tackle and Torry Holt started at wide receiver in the game, played at the Superdome in New Orleans. The team's obscure No. 3 quarterback that day was a fellow named Marc Bulger.

Seven years later, it's still hard for those Super Bowl vets to get away from the game.

"Funny, Leonard was just talking about it today during stretch," Pace said Thursday.

"I think about it occasionally, when I'm just sitting around or going through some old tapes or something," Holt said. "I just think about how it would've been for the players and the organization if we would have won that Super Bowl.

"I think about the one we won that's always great."

Holt, Little and Pace were members of the Super Bowl XXXIV squad two years earlier that defeated Tennessee for the Lombardi Trophy. (Bulger was still in college for that one, at West Virginia.)

"But that one you lost is just always there," Holt continued. "You can't get rid of it. I think about it quite a bit."

That Patriots game changed careers, reputations and maybe even dynasties.

"For us to win two out of three Super Bowls, I guess we could've started our dynasty," Little said. "But it didn't happen."

"Who knows?" Bulger said. "If we get that second one, I may not be playing right now. There might have been three or four (titles), because when you lose a Super Bowl for whatever reason, it's another issue. Kind of the next year, it demoralizes you a little bit."

It demoralized coach Mike Martz and the Rams' front office. The team stumbled through a 7-9 season in...
                -10-23-2008, 11:21 PM
              • Ducksauce
                The Super Bowl
                by Ducksauce
                Does anyone know where the Super Bowl is being played.:r :l :seasux:
                -03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
              Working...
              X