• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals: Green compares McCown to Favre

Cardinals: Green compares McCown to Favre

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
    Monday, July 19, 2004

News
    Cardinals' head coach Dennis Green named third-year quarterback Josh McCown as his starter this spring. Green has taken his faith in McCown one step further by comparing his young signal caller to a future Hall of Fame quarterback. "McCown can be like Brett Favre," Green told the San Diego Union-Tribune on July 17. "He reminds me a lot of Favre. He is a tremendous athlete, 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds, with 4.6 speed and a vertical leap of 39 inches." Green also explained why he didn't use the No. 3 pick in the draft to select a quarterback. "I did not want to waste the period between January and the April draft and then find out that none of those college quarterbacks are ready to play, and none of them are." Green also predicted that McCown will "set the NFL on fire."

This is sort of a follow-up to a discussion about Martz comparing Bulger to qb legends. I think this article falls into the same category as the Martz one. Both Green and Martz should have just kept their mouth shut. They both seem to be trying to convince people of their choice at qb. Both make ridiculous comparisons as some type of justification.

I just thought to be fair I should rip Green for the same thing I ripped Martz for. I think both are ridiculous statements.

Re: Cardinals: Green compares McCown to Favre

I do too hate it when everyone tries to tout their QB to be the next Brett Farve. Why not be the best Marc Bulger or Josh McCown?

In a certain way, coaches do this and unknowingly make it difficult for the QB to perform up to that level.

Comment

Vegas has Arizona with the worst odds to win the SB @125 to 1. Now, I don't think they are going to win it all, but I can think of about 6 or 7 teams that are worse than last years Cardinals. They played well at home and have plenty of talent. They may be a few years away, but I was still surprised to see them at the bottom. I'm not sure any of the odds makers actually watched any of the games last year, or are taking into account that they have a new coach who's been to the playoffs.

Comment

They'll win a few more, maybe even 8-8. I'd go so far as 9-7, maybe. They will score a few points, but they are not going to stop other teams. They may score 30, but they're going to give up 35.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by moklerman
          Both make ridiculous comparisons as some type of justification.
          What about the scouting report that made similar comparisons? I'm not sure what kind of justification a scout would be seeking by saying those same things about Bulger.

Comment

I hate comparisons. There will never be another Favre, Payton, Unitas, etc. Let these guys do their thing.

Comment

This is just more of the same hype Dennis Green has been heaping on his new team since he was hired. It's probably good for season ticket sales but certainly won't make things any easier on McCown. I agree with Mok and Tx that statements like these are not a good idea.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

We Own Green Bay
                by Guest
                The media is going to have their lips planted all over the Packers because of one of the most over-rated QBs in the league. Favre throws more balls up for grabs then any QB I have ever seen. Sometimes he gets lucky and the ball magically lands in the hands of his receivers. (See Packers at Oakland on the day of Favre dad passing.) Other times, especially when challenged he throws up to six interceptions per contest. We own the Packers and that will continue.
                Who was the first team to beat the Packers after they won the Superbowl? Who whipped the Packers last year?
                Who spanked the Packers in the Playoffs when Favre threw 6 pics?
                What team did Ron Brown run Back two kickoffs against in an important game?
                Whos ripe for an upset? Whos hungry for a victory?
                Some things just do not change and the Rams deed over Green Bay is one of them.
                Martz is going to figure out what happened against buffalo both tactical and psychological. Martz has been on the edge of the coaching breakthrough we have been waiting for since 2000. It looks like the team will be eating their Turkey dinner on the practice field. (More evidence that Martz is getting it)The Seahawk losses will come and when they do, we have to be standing there with a win not wallowing in our own pity or our own shame. Remember all we have to do is tie with them to win the division. I think Martz is learning more with each loss. Hes learning more and hes learning faster then in previous years. Maybe because in previous years the losses were not as critical as they are now. He hears the alarm, he sees the flashing lights. He will turn this thing around Monday night. He is what we have and he is the only route the Rams have to the playoffs so we have to believe, we have to fight. The Rams are going to dig deep and so am I.
                -11-24-2004, 02:28 AM
              • Nick
                Green guarantees Cardinals playoff birth
                by Nick
                Cards coach to CofC: Expect 10-6 year
                Josh Kelley
                The Arizona Republic
                Jun. 24, 2004 12:00 AM

Dennis Green sounded more like a motivational speaker than a head football coach during a speech to the Tempe Chamber of Commerce at a luncheon Tuesday.

The first-year Arizona Cardinals coach told the crowd of about 300 that his mission is to inject an attitude of winning into a franchise with a legacy of losing.

"The Arizona Cardinals have never won before," Green said. "That has nothing to do with winning now."

Green, who lives in Ahwatukee Foothills, guaranteed a playoff berth and predicted a record of 10-6, a far cry from the Cardinals' record of 4-12 one year ago.

"I believe in fair play," Green said. "Every team should get a big, juicy bite of the apple."

Green described a team with plenty of young talent on offense, which figures to be the team's backbone, he said. Wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, last year's Heisman Trophy runner-up from the University of Pittsburgh,have impressed Green with their talent, along with tight end Freddie Jones and quarterback Josh McCown.

But Green's cheerleading turned sour when he expressed his displeasure over the Cardinals' first preseason game Aug. 14 in Minnesota against the Vikings, Green's former team.

"I think that's the National Football League's sense of humor and not mine," he said. "That was a terrible decision on their part . . . that game should be played here."

Because so many Vikings fans live in the Valley, the crowd turnout for a Vikings game would have been much larger than what's expected for the Cardinals' other scheduled preseason games, Green said.

He also called on residents to "defend your city" during the next NFL draft from the likes of Eli Manning, who wouldn't play for the San Diego Chargers despite the team using its No. 1 draft pick on him this year.

"Never allow a 23-year-old, snotty-nosed guy" to do that, Green said to a chorus of laughs.
                -06-24-2004, 11:16 PM
                Oh my Gawd Nightline is doing a piece on Green Gay
                by Guest
                It just started so we will see what propaganda they shovel at us.
                -11-30-2004, 12:29 AM
              • fearlessone
                Hopefully Favre will drop to 36-2 as Rams have history working against them!
                by fearlessone
                Packers relish Rams' visit

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
                November 28, 2004
                GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers finally have the St. Louis Rams right where they want them: at Lambeau Field, on grass, in freezing weather.

Forgive Brett Favre if he's not jumping for joy.

``Well, I would much rather play them here than at their place. We haven't had much success at their place, and there's no guarantee that we will here,'' Favre said. ``I think it's going to be a very difficult game. Either way. Here or there.''

That might be, but he tied an NFL playoff record by throwing six interceptions at St. Louis 22 months ago, then broke his right thumb there last year.

The desperate Rams (5-5), who have lost three of four games, face the surging Packers (6-4), winners of five straight, on Monday night in a crucial game for two teams hoping to display some playoff pedigree in the jumbled NFC.

The Packers are banged up in both backfields, which might very well negate any home-field advantage -- something that sure was missing the last time they played at home on a Monday night, a 48-27 loss to the Tennessee Titans on Oct. 11.

``We'd like to erase that memory with a special Monday night performance and get rid of some of those ghosts we have from earlier in the season,'' Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman said.

The problems with the Rams go back to Jan. 20, 2002, when Favre threw those half-dozen interceptions in a 28-point playoff loss.

In October 2003, Favre broke his right thumb in a loss at St. Louis. Because he decided to play the rest of the season with a splint instead of having season-ending surgery, he kept alive his consecutive starts streak, which will reach 200 in the regular season Monday night, 219 counting the playoffs.

Few teams have had Favre's number like the Rams, who capitalized on 12 Packers turnovers to outscore Green Bay 79-41 in their last two meetings.

So the Packers have been looking forward to this night ever since the schedule came out.

``They're a different team, as everyone knows, indoors,'' safety Darren Sharper said. ``The fact that we have them at home hopefully will play into our favor. But we're just happy to see them because they put a whooping on us last year and we'd like to get a little payback.''

Payback? Guard Mark Tauscher is thinking more along the lines of a setback.

``You can't do anything about what happened last year, or the year before,'' he said. ``But we can give them a big setback and knock them off here and really give ourselves a big boost because anytime you struggle against somebody and then you get over that hump, that's big emotionally.''

Just like back in the 1990s, when the Packers lost seven straight to the Dallas Cowboys, three times...
                -11-29-2004, 08:21 AM
              • Varg6
                Dennis Green Fired from Cards
                by Varg6
                TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals fired coach Dennis Green on Monday after he failed to turn the downtrodden franchise into a winner in three seasons on the job.

Green was dismissed one day after the Cardinals concluded a 5-11 season with a 27-20 loss at San Diego. He finished with a 16-32 record at Arizona. The Cardinals will pay $2.5 million to buy out the final year of his contract.

He was the seventh coach the Cardinals have had since the franchise moved to Arizona in 1988. Green's mission was to turn around the perpetually losing Cardinals, who have had one winning season since 1984, and put a winner into the new stadium when it opened this season.

The stadium, the signing of running back Edgerrin James and the drafting of quarterback Matt Leinart stirred up interest in the team, which sold out every home game this year.

But after a season-opening home victory over San Francisco, the Cardinals lost eight in a row and quickly fell out of the playoff hunt. The skid included close home losses to St. Louis, Kansas City and, most memorably on a Monday night, Chicago.

Green demoted offensive coordinator Keith Rowen after six games and replaced him with Mike Kruczek, one of many shakeups on his staff during his time with the Cardinals. Leinart replaced Kurt Warner after five games and showed great promise.

However, the team's fortunes didn't turn around until the coach finally settled on who should play on the offensive line. Arizona won four of its last seven but it was too little, too late.

Green was out of coaching after his decade with the Minnesota Vikings ended in 2001. He was lured back by a four-year, $10 million contract and the belief that Arizona was on the brink of becoming a successful team.

He made several moves that seemed to backfire, beginning with the abrupt release of offensive lineman Pete Kendall on the eve of his first training camp. In his first season, Green benched quarterback Josh McCown for Shaun King even though the team had won three of its last four. By the time McCown got the job back, the Cardinals had lost three straight.

Green's three teams in Arizona went 6-10, 5-11 and 5-11. He has a career NFL coaching record of 124-115.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Wow...truly shocking! :P
                -01-01-2007, 11:21 AM
              Working...
              X