X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Colts QB sentenced

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Former Indianapolis Colts quarterback Art Schlichter, whose NFL career was ruined by his addiction to gambling, was sentenced Friday to eight years in prison.

The latest conviction resulted from a scam to sell tickets to high-profile sporting events. Marion County (Ind.) Superior Court Judge Tanya Walton Pratt accepted the terms of a plea agreement in the case and ordered Schlichter's sentence to run concurrent to a 60-month stretch in federal prison for money laundering.

The judge ordered Schlichter to pay restitution of $500,000 to 22 victims. Prosecutors acknowledged, however, that his victims are unlikely to ever receive restitution, given the state of Schichter's finances and pending prison time.

"It's very unlikely that Art Schichter will ever pay back all of the people that he's ripped off in his life," conceded deputy prosecutor Larry Brodeur.

A former first-round draft choice, and onetime Ohio State star, Schlichter pleaded guilty last month to corrupt business influence and to being a habitual offender. Schlichter has now been convicted at least 10 times since 1995 of crimes including or related to forgery, fraud and theft.

Schlichter, 44, was the Colts' first-round choice in the 1982 draft, when the franchise was still located in Baltimore. Following a rookie year in which he appeared in three games, he was suspended by the league in 1983 for gambling on NFL games. Schlichter that year actually turned to NFL security officials, essentially turning himself in, as he sought to gain protection from bookies to whom he owed large debts.

He remains one of few players ever suspended by the league for gambling.

In 1984, Schlichter returned to the Colts, but was then released in 1985. In all, Schlichter appeared in just 13 regular-season games, completing 91 of 202 passes for 1,006 yards, with three touchdown passes and 11 interceptions. At one point, he attempted to revive his career by playing in the Arena Football League.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested on DUI and drug possession charges
    by Nick
    Authorities say Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay jailed after drunken driving arrest
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    March 17, 2014 - 7:59 am EDT

CARMEL, Indiana Authorities say Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay is in jail after being stopped for suspected drunken driving.

Hamilton County Sheriff's Department Deputy Bryant Orem says Irsay was arrested Sunday night in the northern Indianapolis suburb of Carmel.

Irsay is being held on preliminary charges of driving while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance.

Details on the circumstances of the arrest weren't immediately available.
    -03-17-2014, 07:00 AM
  • RamsFan16
    Colts linebacker June arrested
    by RamsFan16
    Colts linebacker June arrested
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    Associated Press
    Posted: 27 minutes ago

LEBANON, Ind. (AP) - Indianapolis Colts linebacker Cato June was arrested Tuesday for failing to appear in court on a driving while suspended charge.

June, who was selected as a Pro Bowl starter last season, was released from the Boone County Jail on $500 bond, said a jail staffer who declined to give her name. Boone County is just northwest of Indianapolis.

Additional details about the charges against June were not immediately available.

June was a backup in 11 games as a rookie in 2003. He started every game in 2004 and blossomed last season in his second year as a starter. He had 109 tackles, third-most on the team, returned two interceptions for touchdowns and was voted to the Pro Bowl.

He signed a new contract in April for one year at $1.57 million.

I tell you what, these players these days think they can do whatever they want. Its horrible.
    -06-13-2006, 09:47 PM
    The amazing transformation of Carmen Policy, defender of mobsters,....
    by Guest
    Charmed
    The amazing transformation of Carmen Policy, defender of mobsters, babysitter to flashy kid moguls, and now savior of the Cleveland Browns
    BY MIKE TOBIN

The parade ended with thousands of revelers amassed at Public Square for an afternoon pep rally, cheering for Browns old and new. They saw Mayor Michael White bark. Alongside White, team owner Al Lerner, President and CEO Carmen Policy, and Coach Chris Palmer sat on a stage 10 feet above a wall of police fencing and concrete barriers, as safely ensconced from the masses as the Ku Klux Klan would be some 22 hours later.

Policy looked relaxed as he stepped to the podium and called Cleveland the "Rocky Balboa of the great American sports cities." And why not? Policy is used to throngs of adoring football fans. The undersized Youngstown native has been gridiron royalty since the early '90s, when the San Francisco ***** he helped build continued as one of the elite franchises of professional sports.

But Public Square holds other, darker memories for Policy. The stage was only a few hundred feet from the federal and county courthouses where, in his previous life as a slick and gifted criminal defense attorney, Policy spent months at a time defending some of the most notorious mobsters between New York and Chicago.

Before the speeches and pep talks, fans and VIPs alike watched a brief video about the team's namesake, Paul Brown, on a temporary Jumbotron screen. WEWS-TV sportscaster Dyrol Joyner introduced the clip by asking the frenzied crowd, "Can you really understand where you came from?... Let's take a look back and see where it all started years ago."

Joyner's directive could be usefully applied to Policy as well.

Despite all the accolades, the overwhelming praise, the regal bearing and undeniable charm, there are some interesting and even unsettling questions about the man the Sporting News hailed as the NFL Executive of the Year in 1994.

Some of the events in Policy's past are simply overlooked-but-interesting nuggets, like the starring role he played in one of the most sensational trials in Cleveland history, that of the killers of Danny Greene. Or how Policy whined that a known killer and mobster he represented was being victimized by the Justice Department.

Other questions are tougher. Like why his name was mentioned repeatedly, and often cryptically, in secretly recorded 1980 conversations after mobsters laundered money through Policy's law partner. Or what Policy might have known about alleged links between the gangsters he represented and one of his biggest business clients. Or why so many of his business partners wind up in trouble with the law.

Policy will not answer these or any other questions about his past. A Browns spokesman turned down a request for an interview, saying Policy does not have the time.
    -09-24-2004, 02:51 PM
  • Rambos
    Robert Mathis suspended 4 games
    by Rambos
    Please send Quinn his Deacon Jones Award

ESPN.com news services

Linebacker Robert Mathis has been suspended without pay for the Indianapolis Colts' first four games of the 2014 regular season for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Mathis will be eligible to return to the Colts' active roster on Monday, Sept. 29, following the team's Sept. 28 game against the Tennessee Titans.

[+] EnlargeRobert Mathis
    Andy Lyons/Getty ImagesIndianapolis linebacker Robert Mathis has been suspended for the Colts' first four games of the 2014 regular season for violating the NFL policy on PEDs.

He released a statement detailing his explanation for the positive test:

"It is difficult for me to address the circumstances surrounding this suspension because they involve very personal medical information, but it is very important to me that my fans, particularly young people, understand what did and did not occur. Like many families, my wife and I faced fertility challenges, and I sought medical assistance. I specifically asked the doctor if the medication he prescribed for me would present a problem for NFL drug testing, and unfortunately, he incorrectly told me that it would not. I made the mistake of not calling the NFL or NFLPA to double-check before I took the medication at the end of last season.

"The union has worked very closely with me to present all of the facts and medical records for consideration of discipline that does not include a suspension because of the unique facts of my case, but the commissioner refused the request. I am deeply saddened that this situation will prevent me from contributing to my team for four games, and I regret that I didn't cross check what my doctor told me before I took the medication. I hope that my fans will understand the unique circumstances involved here and continue to know that I am a man of integrity who would never intentionally circumvent the performance enhancing substance policy agreed to by the NFL and my union.

"The incredible blessing of this very upsetting situation is that, after I took the medication very briefly at the end of last season, we learned that my wife is expecting a baby. We are thrilled that we will be welcoming a new member in several months, but I apologize to my teammates, coaches and Colts fans that I will not be able to contribute to my team for the first four weeks of the 2014 season. I will work extremely hard during that time to stay in top football shape and will be prepared to contribute immediately upon my return."

Hard to Replace

Robert Mathis led the NFL in sacks and forced fumbles last season. In fact, he nearly outproduced the rest of the Colts in those areas.
    Category Mathis Colts
    Sacks 19.5 22.5
    Forced Fumbles 8 8
    ESPN Stats & Information...
    -05-16-2014, 03:52 PM
  • AvengerRam_old
    The "Due Process" Argument is a Copout
    by AvengerRam_old
    I'm tired of players being indicted for felonies involving domestic violence and then suiting up on the following Sunday.

But, Av... what about "due process"?

Isn't everyone innocent until proven guilty?

In the criminal legal system, in which the government is charged with the task of determining whether an individual's liberty may be suspended or taken away entirely as punishment for criminal actions, there is, of course, a constitutional right to due process.

The NFL, however, is not the government.

The NFL is a private entity, consisting of a collection of companies that employ the players. From a purely legal standpoint, the concept of "due process" is not applicable.

But what about fairness, Av? Shouldn't due process be afforded as a matter of fairness?

My answer to that is... only to a certain extent.

In my mind, it comes down to striking an appropriate balance of competing interests.

For example, I don't think it would be appropriate to suspend a player without pay on the basis of a mere accusation. If the NFL did so, it would give every disgruntled spouse or girlfriend of an NFL player the power to impose a severe sanction on their husband/boyfriend by fabricating charges.

On the other end of the spectrum, though, I think it is absurd that Adrian Peterson, who has been investigated and indicted on charges involving injuries to a four year old child, is set to play this Sunday.

Here is the balance I would propose:

Accusation: NFL/team monitors the situation.
    Indictment: Player suspended (length depending on nature and severity of the charge). Player's pay held in escrow.
    Conviction/Plea Indicating Guilt: Length of suspension subject to review based upon outcome. Player forfeits salary/subjected to fine (depending on severity). Money taken from funds held in escrow.

For the private employees of the NFL and its franchises, that is all the process that is due.
    -09-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Working...
X