X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders not sure when CB Woodson will arrive in camp

July 28, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders are prepared to deal with what could be a lengthy holdout by star cornerback Charles Woodson.

Advertisement

The Raiders placed the franchise tag on Woodson, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, in February. With the franchise designation, he would make about $8.8 million this season, but Woodson hasn't signed the Raiders' tender.

By not signing, he's technically not on the roster and can't be fined for missing practice once the team starts training camp Friday in Napa.

Meanwhile, Oakland was close to signing top draft pick Robert Gallery, a 6-foot-7, 323-pound offensive tackle who is expected to compete for a starting job right away. He is considered the best offensive line prospect since Orlando Pace went No. 1 overall to St. Louis in 1997.

Woodson, who's entering his seventh pro season, has said he wants a big-money long-term contract.

Several other stars have annually stayed out of camp as franchise players.

"I've not talked to him in a while," coach Norv Turner said Wednesday. "Charles is doing the things he has to do physically to get ready. ... I don't know how you judge to say it's going to be a long time or it's going to be soon. I'd like to have him soon, and hopefully we will.

Turner added that he doesn't expect Woodson to hold out all year. A call to Woodson's agent, Carl Poston, was not immediately returned Wednesday.

All-Pro linebacker Julian Peterson of San Francisco also is expected to hold out as a franchise player. Peterson is represented by Poston's brother, Kevin. Pace, the Rams' franchise player, is another holdout whose agent is Carl Poston.

"I can't really give you an update," Turner said. "We're in the same situation four or five teams are with the franchise tag. I'm not sure that any of them will get resolved real fast. I'm anxious and optimistic something will get done and we'll get him in camp as soon as we can.

"We've had 24 practices. We've had great practices. I don't see it affecting what we're trying to get done. We want to get Charles in here. He's a heck of a player. We're better with him than without him."

Woodson, selected by the Raiders in the first round of the 1998 NFL Draft, was the most outspoken critic of fired coach Bill Callahan. Woodson said after last season he would not play for Callahan, who was eventually fired by owner Al Davis after the team's 4-12 season -- the worst collapse by a team that reached the Super Bowl the previous season.

Phillip Buchanon and Nnamdi Asomugha will play in Woodson's place for now.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Related Topics

Collapse

• Curly Horns
    Rich Gannon says he's confident
    by Curly Horns
    JANIE McCAULEY
    AP Sports Writer
    ALAMEDA, Calif. Rich Gannon is more than a year removed from his MVP award, turns 39 in December, and swears he is 100 percent healthy and not the least bit concerned about the addition of backup Kerry Collins to the Oakland Raiders' quarterback mix.

Gannon's still No. 1 in the minds of the Raiders and Collins, too.

"I'm as hard on myself as anybody," Gannon said Tuesday, when the Raiders began a three-day voluntary minicamp. "I set the bar very high I think as anyone who's been around me would know. I don't really need anybody to come in to make me work harder to compete, to help me focus or challenge myself.

"In my opinion, I'm here to work with Kerry and help him and help our team win. That's what my focus is going to be."

Gannon had one of the most productive offseasons of his 17-year career as he recovered from surgery to repair a tear in his shoulder. He's been throwing almost every day this spring.

He was knocked out of the Raiders' 17-10 loss to Kansas City last Oct. 20 and had surgery in November.

"If I threw three days a week in the offseason that was a lot. Now I'm throwing every day," Gannon said. "I'm much further ahead than I would have been had I not had the surgery."

He has looked crisp and strong in both minicamps so far. He completed a few passes of more than 25 yards Tuesday, though the bulk of his tries were shorter than 15.

There had been speculation the Raiders might opt not to take on the $7 million salary Gannon is set to make in 2004 and he has repeatedly said he won't take a pay cut. The franchise hasn't seemed to lose faith in the man who led them to the 2002 Super Bowl.

"I've seen Rich from the other side of the field numerous times," new coach Norv Turner said. "Seeing him on this side of the field, he's throwing the ball extremely well. He's one of the more accurate guys I've ever been around."

The Raiders contacted Gannon to inform him they planned to sign Collins, a big, strong-armed quarterback who led a team to the Super Bowl just over three years ago. He was released by the New York Giants on April 28, four days after they acquired Eli Manning, the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Gannon's reaction?

"I don't know what people think, but I do have some intelligence," Gannon said. "You know, I am 38 years old. I think that they looked at what happened a year ago when I did get hurt and they probably felt like they needed to continue to try and improve that position. And, so, it made a lot of sense to me. It didn't surprise me at all."

After Oakland ended last season 4-12 only a year after winning the AFC title the worst collapse by a previous year's Super Bowl team Gannon criticized the Raiders. He believes he unfairly...
    -06-24-2004, 11:29 PM
  • Varg6
    Shell out as Raiders
    by Varg6
    BREAKING NEWS
    Shell out as Raiders head coach
    The Oakland Raiders have announced that Art Shell will no longer be their head coach. He might remain a part of the organization.

nfl.com
    -01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
  • Goldenfleece
    Union complaints prompt cancellation of Raiders workouts
    by Goldenfleece
    ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- The Oakland Raiders canceled the final week of their offseason training program Friday after complaints from the NFL players' union about the intensity of the practices.

In a brief statement, coach Lane Kiffin said the players' union believes the Raiders' offseason program violated league rules on practice standards.

"The union has complained about the high level of intensity, player aggressiveness and fast pace of our practices and, as a result, has taken away the final week of our offseason program," said Kiffin, the NFL's youngest and least experienced head coach.

The Raiders won't hold next week's scheduled offseason activities, which were expected to be mostly weightlifting sessions.

Oakland wrapped up a voluntary minicamp on Wednesday under Kiffin, a former assistant coach at Southern California. He had just one season of NFL training camp experience as an assistant in Jacksonville in 2000.

The Raiders' training camp opens July 27 in Napa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it funny how it's always the bad teams that complain that their practices are too hard?
    -06-15-2007, 07:54 PM
  • HUbison
    Robbins released by Raiders
    by HUbison
    Raiders release center Robbins after he fails physical

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
    July 23, 2004
    ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Former Pro Bowl center Barret Robbins was released by the Oakland Raiders on Friday, a week after he and two other players were fined three game checks for testing positive for the steroid THG.

Robbins confirmed that he had failed the exam and added: ``I'm OK. I just don't want to talk about this right now.''

Robbins, who began training camp last year on the physically unable to perform list, missed two meetings and a walkthrough practice before the 2003 Super Bowl and didn't play in the game. Bill Callahan, then the Raiders coach, said Robbins was incoherent and didn't know where he was when he showed up Saturday night before the game.

Callahan deactivated him and Adam Treu started in his place.

Last season, Robbins showed a new dedication to the Raiders and his teammates following several months of difficulty following that game. He is a recovering alcoholic and was subsequently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He spent 31 days at the Betty Ford Center and was determined to repair his image -- and to return to the Raiders alongside a few teammates who initially didn't want him back.

Robbins, teammate Chris Cooper and free agent Dana Stubblefield were fined three game checks last week for the THG violation. The case had been pending since last fall and the checks were for 2003 rather than 2004.

They also were placed on ``reasonable-cause testing'' for the rest of their careers, and will be suspended for eight games if they test positive for any steroid again.

Robbins, who has played all nine of his pro seasons with Oakland, said he would like to stay in football, but wasn't sure what's next for him.

Robbins made the Pro Bowl for the first time after the 2002 season, but did not play in the game. A year after missing the final 14 games of 2001 with an injured right knee, he was a pivotal part of an offensive line that helped the Raiders produce the league's top offense.

``Barret has been a valuable member of the Raider organization and has been an integral part of the success of the Silver and Black,'' new coach Norv Turner said. ``He has kept the Raiders tradition of great centers alive and we wish him well in his future endeavors.''

Robbins said he has appreciated all the support from Raiders fans.

``Keep coming to the games,'' he said. ``It's been an honor to be a Raider.''

The team opens training camp July 29 in Napa, Calif.
    -07-23-2004, 01:43 PM
  • ZiaRam
    Asomugha's Raiders deal voided because of missed incentives
    by ZiaRam
    By Jason La Canfora

Nnamdi Asomugha isn't under contract with the Oakland Raiders.

Asomugha didn't reach certain incentives, voiding the last year of a three-year, $45.3 million contract and making the three-time Pro Bowl cornerback an unrestricted free agent, a source with knowledge of the deal confirmed Sunday.
    Entering this season, Asomugha had to play more snaps or boost his interception, fumble recovery or sack total from their 2009 levels to keep the last year of the contract. But Asomugha played in just 14 games -- two less than 2009 -- because of an ankle injury, and he didn't post an interception, a fumble recovery or a sack. He also had 19 tackles, 15 fewer than last season.
    The Raiders can't use their franchise tag on Asomugha, 30, because of another clause in the contract, which the cornerback signed in February of 2009.
    Asomugha, a first-round pick (31st overall) by the Raiders in the 2003 NFL Draft, had a breakout season in 2006, posting eight interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. He has just three interceptions since then, but that can be attributed to opposing teams choosing to throw away from Asomugha.

On a personal note I'd love to have a shut down corner picked up from free agency and contribute with our core of CB's. Let's do it!
    If for no other reason he is a hell of a beast to throw at in Madden and always picks me off or bats ball down lol Let's pick em up!
    -01-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Working...
X