• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals' Shipp may be out entire season

Injuries may sideline Shipp for season
    Kent Somers
    The Arizona Republic
    Aug. 8, 2004 12:00 AM

FLAGSTAFF - Marcel Shipp's ankle injury is more serious than first thought, and there's a strong chance the backup running back is out for the season.

Additional tests revealed a fractured left fibula that will require surgery. Shipp also suffered a dislocated ankle when he was tackled during Friday night's scrimmage.

Doctors probably will have to insert pins to repair the fracture, coach Dennis Green said Saturday. Shipp won't be able to do much for two to three months at least, which would put his return into October, at the earliest.

It's unlikely the Cardinals would keep a roster spot open for him that long. If he's placed on injured reserve, it would mean he's out for the season.

"I think we'll just take our time and make sure he's on the mend," Green said, "and then we'll look at the rest of it later."

The Cardinals have no plans to add a running back, Green said. Josh Scobey and Damien Anderson, both of whom joined the team in 2002, will compete for the No. 2 job behind Emmitt Smith. Rookie free agent Larry Croom has been impressive early in camp.

"I'm just really sick to my stomach," Scobey said of Shipp's injury. "It's going to be pretty tough to fill those shoes."

Anderson has the most experience, having played in 26 games since making the team as an undrafted rookie two years ago. He was involved in a serious car accident in January but has fully recovered.

Scobey, a former sixth-round pick, returned kicks last year but has never carried the ball from scrimmage.

"Josh and I have competed since we got here," Anderson said. "It's nothing new. Just being in this game, you are going to have to compete every year."

Green wouldn't say if Scobey or Anderson had an edge for the job.

"We don't have to worry about that right now," he said. "We've got guys who want to be good players. Right now we're just going to worry more about Marcel."

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    CARDINALS - Boldin breaks nose in scrimmage
    by Nick
    Boldin's nose broken in live scrimmage
    No timetable on receiver's return
    Odeen Domingo and Kent Somers
    The Arizona Republic
    Aug. 5, 2005 12:00 AM

PRESCOTT - Wide receiver Anquan Boldin suffered a broken nose when rookie free agent safety Aaron Francisco tackled him Thursday at Pioneer Field.

After catching the ball during a live scrimmage, Boldin might have thought it was the end of the play and began to slow down. That's when Francisco came up for the tackle, wrapping his arms around Boldin.

One of Francisco's hands went in between the space of Boldin's helmet and face mask and hit his nose. Boldin was bleeding and was taken back to the team's training room at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, just a short drive from the field.

Boldin will stay in Prescott. Cardinals coach Dennis Green said the team doesn't know how long he will be out.

"We'll set it (Boldin's nose) back in place and determine how to protect it," Green said.

Boldin, who signed a lucrative four-year contract extension Sunday, is no stranger to injuries in training camp. He injured his knee during last season's training camp and missed the first six games of the season. His broken nose isn't expected to keep him out too long.

"I know guys who come back and play with it," Green said. "As soon as it happens, you get it fixed then determine the time frame and the certain protection. Guys like Rip (Detroit Pistons guard Richard Hamilton) in the NBA, it's (face mask) like his good-luck charm. He started wearing that two years ago. And he can still throw down those jumpers. It doesn't bother him at all. It (protection for Boldin's nose) might just be a different face-mask bar. It might be some other kind of protection."

Charles Lee and Lawrence Hamilton split time with the first-team offense in place of Boldin for the rest of the morning practice.

A big sigh

Tight end Eric Edwards is expected to miss two to three weeks after a magnetic resonance imaging exam revealed a tear in his right pectoral muscle.

Edwards, however, was relieved because there was some concern that the injury was worse and might cause him to miss significant time, perhaps the whole season.

"That was the best thing that could have happened," he said. "It could have been a lot worse. They thought it was a lot worse until they got the MRI."

Edwards has had a rough camp. He suffered cramps as a result of dehydration on the first two days of camp. He lost 12 pounds the first day and received fluids intravenously. He suffered the pectoral injury Wednesday.

Rookie Adam Bergen replaced Edwards in the starting lineup.

Taking precaution

Green said the initial reports on defensive tackle Kenny...
    -08-05-2005, 01:41 PM
  • Bruce=GOAT
    Arizona Cardinals lose player
    by Bruce=GOAT
    Cardinals lose tackle Oliver Ross to knee injury
    Cardinals lose tackle Oliver Ross to knee injury

August 2, 2006

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona Cardinals right tackle Oliver Ross will miss at least three weeks, and possibly as many as 10, because of a right knee injury.

Coach Dennis Green said Ross may have torn his meniscus. The club was awaiting test results.

"We'll just have to see what's going to take place," Green said. "They can get a little more examination of the information and make a decision on him."

Ross, an eight-year veteran, said he hurt his knee during a blocking drill Wednesday morning during practice at Northern Arizona University. "My foot slipped, and then I felt something," he said. "I was just like, 'Football.' I kind of tried to work through it. It started getting tighter and tighter as practice went on."

Ross, who signed a five-year free agent contract last year, missed four games a year ago because of a broken hand.

Green said Fred Wakefield could replace Ross in the lineup.
    -08-02-2006, 04:20 PM
  • Nick
    Boldin likely out until October
    by Nick
    Doctors find more significant tear in surgery
    Wednesday, August 11, 2004
    Associated Press

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin, last season's offensive rookie of the year, underwent arthroscopic surgery Wednesday and could be sidelined at least eight weeks.

Coach Dennis Green initially said an MRI found "a slight tear" in the cartilage and thought Boldin would be able to return within two weeks. But during the procedure, doctors found and repaired a more significant tear, Green said.

"We are looking at what is typically an eight- to 12-week injury," Green said about the length of Boldin's rehabilitation.

That means Boldin, Arizona's only Pro Bowl player last year after setting an NFL rookie record with 101 catches, may not be back until at least early October -- a severe blow to Green's plan to juice up the offense. Two of the three young receivers who figured to start in his preferred three-wideout set are injured.

One of them, Bryant Johnson, had a boot removed which he wore for more than a month to protect the stress fracture in his right foot. Johnson, last year's first-round draft pick, planned to begin full-speed running within two weeks and return to action soon.

Larry Fitzgerald, drafted No. 3 overall this year, has been practicing the routes of all three receiving positions, and quarterback Josh McCown said backups have been impressive in camp.

"Bryan Gilmore can step in there, Karl Williams can step in there, Nate Poole," McCown said. "We've got guys that can step up and play. Jason McAddley has started in the NFL before, so we've got guys that have played. It's not like in the past where we've been so young in depth."

Boldin missed his junior year at Florida State because of reconstructive surgery on a tendon in his left knee.

This time, his knee was sore Monday and he sat out the always intense morning practice. On Tuesday, he was warming up for practice when his knee locked up and he was carted from the field.
    -08-12-2004, 12:05 AM
  • DJRamFan
    [Cardinals] Cards feeling defeated
    by DJRamFan
    4-9 record takes its toll on Green

Tim Tyers
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 14, 2004 12:00 AM

The demeanor of Cardinals coach Dennis Green on Monday was that of a man ready to cut loose with a refrain from an old country song: "You ripped my heart out and stomped that sucker flat."

The man who predicted a winning season and possible playoff berth upon his arrival had nothing good to say about his four-win team, or the way the season has transpired during his first season with the Cardinals.

San Francisco, with only two wins, is considered the worst team in pro football. But both of its wins have come against the Cardinals, including Sunday's 31-28 win in overtime, so where does that leave the Cardinals? advertisement

Emmitt Smith, the NFL's career rushing leader, said after Sunday's loss that the team is making elementary mistakes and insinuated that some of the problem is coaching.

"You know," Green said, "everybody has their own opinion. I will reserve mine."

To his credit, Green didn't dodge the issue when asked if he was worried about losing the attention of his team.

"Absolutely," he said. "You worry about losing everybody. I don't think (owner) Mr. Bill Bidwill is very happy right now. I don't think he counted on hiring a new coach and having the new coach be 4-9. It's everybody. I don't think the fans counted on being 4-9. I know I didn't count on being 4-9 . . .

"There is a chance to lose everybody when you get into a situation where you are not winning . . . "

Green took on a huge task when he came to Arizona in January to rebuild the franchise. Yet, Sunday's loss guaranteed the Cardinals their 15th losing season in the past 17 years. The question now is, how much progress has been made?

"I would hope to say a lot of things are better, but you know . . . sometimes we are in a bottom line business. In fact, most of the time we are.

"We only had 35,000 people there (Sunday). That's not a very big crowd, not a lot of people for the fifth-largest city in America. That's not a lot of people who want to come and watch you play in your stadium."

In Sunday's game there were five major errors on special teams, the offense didn't report for duty until the second half and Arizona's gambling defense was once again porous against the run. Nondescript Maurice Hicks, an undrafted free agent, not only became the eighth rusher to top 100 yards against Arizona, but his 139 yards came within 5 yards of matching his season total entering the game.

Green said the Cardinals are not physical enough at the point of attack against the run. They've tried to offset that with blitzes, but sometimes the formation takes away the blitz and the lack of physicality...
    -12-14-2004, 10:30 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Cardinals receiver injures knee before practice
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 10, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin, the 2003 NFL offensive rookie of the year and the Cardinals only Pro Bowl player, injured his right knee Tuesday morning while loosening up for practice and was carted from the field.

Advertisement

Boldin experienced soreness in the same knee Monday and sat out a morning practice but participated in an afternoon walkthrough.

His tests results weren't immediately available.

"His knee locked up on him, and so we're running some extensive tests," coach Dennis Green said after the first practice. "It's not locked up now."

Green said the injury was freakish.

"He wasn't running or anything," the coach said. "He was just actually not even hardly jogging, so I'm sure that something's going on inside, but we won't know until all the tests are done. They're running a different type of tests, since it is unusual."

Anquan Boldin set a rookie record with 101 catches for 1,377 yards last year.(Getty Images)
    Last season, Boldin set an NFL rookie record with 101 receptions, had the most yards receiving (1,377) by a rookie since Houston's Bill Groman in 1960 and established a franchise rookie record with eight scoring grabs.

"When you lose a guy like 'Q,' lose a Pro Bowl player, you lose a big piece of the puzzle," running back Emmitt Smith said. "We don't know what the situation is. I don't know if we lost him and how long we lost him for. It could be a matter of days."

Boldin had reconstructive surgery on his left knee his junior season at Florida State. The injury reduced his draft value and allowed the Cardinals to pick him in the second round 37 places behind first-round selection Bryant Johnson of Penn State, another wide receiver and the 17th player taken last year.

Johnson, who had 35 catches as a rookie, got a stress fracture in his right foot during summer workouts, has been wearing a protective boot and is about three weeks away from going full speed.

Until Boldin and Johnson take the field, the featured wideout will be Bryan Gilmore, a backup who impressed Green in minicamps.

"I wanted to contribute with him," Gilmore said about Boldin. "I'm going to contribute regardless, but I'd much rather have him and BJ and Fitz (rookie Larry Fitzgerald) on my side."

Last weekend, the Cardinals lost running back Marcel Shipp with a dislocated ankle and broken leg, potentially a season-ending injury.

Green said Saturday it would take Shipp two to three months to recover from surgery to insert pins to support his fractured left fibula. The coach wanted to wait and see how Shipp progresses before deciding whether...
    -08-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Working...
X