Reduction of Preseason, Expansion of Regular Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduction of Preseason, Expansion of Regular Season

A guy on ESPN suggested eliminating two preseason games and, instead, add two regular season games. Your thoughts on the topic.
    YES, preseason doesn't matter, make the games count
    100.00%
    NO, leave it the way it is
    0.00%
    NO, drop the preseason games, but keep 16 as the magic #
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Related Topics

Collapse

• shower beers
    Preseason Takeaways
    by shower beers
    We had 12 this preseason, compared to just one last year. I don't care if it is the preseason, that's something to get excited about. You can't chalk up 11 additional takeaways to "it's just the preseason."

Thoughts?
    -09-04-2009, 07:27 AM
  • majorram
    Do you think that we need Pre-season??
    by majorram
    The more I think bout this issue the more I hate Pre-season, it just seems a waste of great players, aka RT Jansen of the Redskins..and I'm sure the body count we grow.....What about reducing the number of games to two instead of four... is it greedy owners looking for more revenue???????....I know you need to see what sort of squad you have and get these guys up to game speed, look at different players etc....

But to me I just PRAY that we get through these dam 4 games with NO injuries...

Does anybody feel the same!!!!!!

thoughts guys

steve :ramlogo:
    -08-11-2004, 10:28 AM
  • AvengerRam_old
    What the first 2 preseason games revealed about the 2014 Rams
    by AvengerRam_old

Yep, that's right.

Preseason tells us virtually nothing.

Oh, I could go through all the logical arguments about starters sitting with minor ailments or playing only for a quarter, or "vanilla" schemes utilized, or the fact that, for some, these were the first 2 games of a rookie season, but I don't really need to get that detailed, do I?

All you have to do is look at the past.

Let me ask you this...

Did the 1999 Rams do anything in the preason that hinted at their Championship run? Nope. They went 2-2 (dropping the first 2, by the way) and averaged under 20 points/game. How about the other GSOT years? Did the Rams light things up in preseason? Nope. In 2000, they went 2-2, including a 30-3 drubbing by the revenge-minded Titans. In 2001, they went 3-2, and averaged just over 16 points per game.

What about the bad Rams teams? Well, in 2008, the Rams went 2-2 in the preseason before going 2-14 in the regular season. In 2009, the Rams went 3-1 in the preseason before going 1-15 in the regular season. In 2011, the Rams went a perfect 4-0 in the preseason before going 2-14 in the regular season.

To add it up:

1999-2001: Preseason: 7-6/Regular Season: 37-11
    2008, 2009, 2011: Preseason: 9-3/Regular Season: 5-43

Whatever you think you are seeing this preseason - good or bad - trust me when I say it does not matter.

When the games count, we'll see what kind of team this is. While we are all anxious to know sooner and are looking for indicators and signs, the reality is, we just don't know how this team will perform until opening day (and beyond)....
    -08-18-2014, 03:13 PM
  • AvengerRam_old
    I hate preseason. How about you?
    by AvengerRam_old
    When I was younger, I used to love preseason. After months without football, I was just thrilled to have it back.

Now, no so much. I find preseason to be stressful, due to the fear of injuries. I also find myself constantly tempering my reaction to what the Rams do on the field. I know that strong performances don't guarantee regular season success, and many great teams have poor preseason showings.

So, how do you feel about the preseason?
    Its the delicious appetizer before the main course that is regular season football.
    42.42%
    It is a bigger tease than the plastic-wrapped copy of Maxim at the news stand.
    21.21%
    Glad to have football back, but this is not REALLY football.
    36.36%
    -08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
  • AvengerRam_old
    Stat of the Day for those worried about Preseason
    by AvengerRam_old
    Preseason is not entirely meaningless. There are certainly aspects of a team's performance in the preseason that can be indicative of how the team will do during the season.

That said, you can't put too much stock in the scores and outcomes of preseason games.

Don't believe me? Well, consider this.

From 1999-2001, the Rams had a combined regular season record of 37-11 (.771) and averaged 32.7 points per game.

In the preseasons of those three years, the Rams went 7-6(.538) and scored 19.2 points per game.
    -08-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Working...
X