Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomlinson confirms six-year, $60 million deal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tomlinson confirms six-year, $60 million deal

    Tomlinson confirms six-year, $60 million deal
    By Jim Trotter
    STAFF WRITER

    August 13, 2004

    CARSON – Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson confirmed yesterday that he has reached an agreement in principle on a six-year contract extension that could bring him $60 million, including $21 million in guarantees.

    The details of the pact, which will make Tomlinson the highest-paid running back in NFL history, still were being finalized yesterday, but team officials and Tomlinson said they hope to have everything done before tomorrow's exhibition opener against the Indianapolis Colts in Qualcomm Stadium.

    "I feel good," Tomlinson said. "Obviously it's very pleasing to me that we have come to an agreement. It means a lot to a lot of people around here, to myself and hopefully to the San Diego Chargers out in the public.

    "I think it sends (a message) that if you're the guy who has really done the right thing, has really played your heart out and given your all, the Chargers will take care of you. It's a proven fact, because they have taken care of me."

    Tomlinson's new deal, which will run through the 2011 season, will be the richest for an NFL running back in not only total dollars, but also guaranteed money. The previous high in total dollars belonged to former Denver Bronco Terrell Davis, who failed to see all of the money after sustaining a career-ending knee injury; and the previous high for guaranteed money was $17 million, set earlier this year when Clinton Portis signed a new contract with Washington.

    Tomlinson, who considers himself the best running back in the league, said it's only fitting that he would have the No. 1 contract among ball carriers. But he said the agreement is about more than money.

    "It's (about) the respect, the loyalty that's seldom (seen) in sports today," he said. "What more could I say about that?"

    The agreement could be the first step in changing the perception that some players and fans have of the organization. Negotiations with previous front-line players such as Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison and Natrone Means were acrimonious at best, but Tomlinson's talks went so smoothly that the deal was done in a matter of weeks – with two years remaining on his existing contract.

    That reality didn't go unnoticed in the locker room.

    "I think it's big for the organization to step up to the plate and reward a guy of that magnitude in that way," fullback Lorenzo Neal said. "LT is a guy who works hard and now he's not going to have to worry about the finances. He can exhale. I think it shows guys know that, hey, this organization is making changes, is headed in the right direction, is showing that we're committed financially. That means a lot to LT.

    "No doubt, a lot of guys were watching the situation. No slap against anybody, but this says that we've got our priorities straight. We know we have a rookie, Philip Rivers – first-round pick, what have you – who is the future. But the organization said, 'You know what? We're going to reward a guy who has proven that he can play in this league, who has proven that he can rewrite the record books, who has proven that he has earned his merits in this league.' "

    There had been speculation that Tomlinson might ask for a trade or try to leave as a free agent if the team failed to put the "franchise" tag on him after the 2005 season, but the fourth-year pro said he never considered it.

    "I never even thought about it," he said. "I want to be here to make the change. I want to be here when people say what the organization used to be like when they were down, and now these guys are up and they're winning. I want to be a part of that group."


    Probable lineup
    Coach Marty Schottenheimer said he hadn't finalized his rotation for tomorrow night but said the quarterbacks likely will play as follows: 1½ quarters each for Drew Brees and Cleo Lemon, with Joe Germaine finishing.
    In addition to Tomlinson, Schottenheimer said a number of players won't play, including: linebacker Donnie Edwards; defensive linemen Adrian Dingle and DeQuincy Scott; wideout Tim Dwight; quarterback Doug Flutie; and running back Leon Johnson.

    It's possible Scott could miss the entire exhibition season. Schottenheimer said Scott, the team's sacks leader last season with a career-high 6½, has a hernia and might require surgery.


    Practice schedule
    The team will practice once today, at 9 a.m., at The Home Depot Center.

  • #2
    Re: Tomlinson confirms six-year, $60 million deal

    'Atta boy, LaDainian. Too bad you're stuck with the Chargers.

    with Joe Germaine finishing
    Teehee.

    Comment

    Related Topics

    Collapse

    • Nick
      Chargers' offer to Rivers takes incentives to extreme
      by Nick
      Chargers' offer to Rivers takes incentives to extreme
      Andrew Bagnato
      The Arizona Republic
      Aug. 15, 2004 12:00 AM

      NFL contract incentives are like playoff contenders in August. Some are realistic. Some aren't.

      Talks between San Diego and quarterback Philip Rivers, the fourth overall pick in the draft, broke down in part because the Chargers insisted on incentives that could only be described as ludicrous. Under the reported terms of the team's proposal, Rivers would be paid a $5 million bonus if he appeared in four Pro Bowls and won four Super Bowls in his first six seasons.

      He would receive another $7.5 million if he appeared in five Pro Bowls and won five Super Bowls during that time. And he would get an additional $10 million if he appeared in six Pro Bowls and won six Super Bowls in his first six seasons. That's a total of $22.5 million for six Pro Bowl appearances and six Super Bowl wins in six seasons.

      Needless to say, no one has ever approached these feats in the long and storied history of the NFL. Still, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith called it a "great offer" when he announced early in the week that the club had rescinded the offer and broken off talks.

      Rivers' agent, Jimmy Sexton, replied in a statement, "We are confused by the Chargers calling it 'a great offer' when such a large amount is impossible to ever achieve."

      So the talks broke down, although reports out of San Diego indicate the two sides are really only about $4.25 million apart in base salary over a six-year deal and that club insiders expect an agreement to be worked out within days.
      -08-15-2004, 12:49 PM
    • DJRamFan
      Twins agree to four-year, $40M deal with Santana
      by DJRamFan
      Feb. 14, 2005
      By Scott Miller
      SportsLine.com Senior Writer
      Tell Scott your opinion!


      The Minnesota Twins not only avoided an arbitration hearing with Cy Young winner Johan Santana, they locked him into their rotation long-term by agreeing to a four-year deal worth in the neighborhood of $40 million, sources told SportsLine.com on Monday.

      Advertisement


      The agreement, contingent on Santana passing a physical examination, further solidifies a Minnesota pitching staff that led the American League in ERA last season. Santana, who emerged as the staff ace, went 20-6 with a 2.61 ERA. By signing Brad Radke to a two-year deal earlier this winter, the Twins now will have their top two starters, Santana and Radke, together for at least two more seasons.

      While Radke pitched as well in 2004 as he had in any of his previous seasons, manager Ron Gardenhire said, the veteran right-hander still pitched in Santana's shadow. That was difficult to avoid: Santana went 13-0 with a 1.21 ERA in 15 post-All-Star break starts. During one point in the run, Santana strung together 36 1/3 scoreless innings.


      Johan Santana went 13-0 after the All-Star break last year. (Getty Images)
      Consequently, Santana collected a unanimous 28 first-place votes in the Cy Young balloting.

      All this and Santana, 26, will enter only his second full season in a major-league rotation. If there is any downside to his game, it is that he has a tendency at times to nibble around the strike zone. He averaged about 6 2/3 innings per start in 2004 and threw only one complete game. Gardenhire would like to seem him pitch deeper in games in '05.

      "One thing I want to prove is that this is not just something that happened, this isn't lucky," Santana said in November on a conference call with reporters after becoming the first native Venezuelan to win a Cy Young award. "I have to be consistent from now on. We have to prove why we won the award.

      "Next season, we have to make sure to keep the Minnesota Twins winning the division title, and going to the World Series. In order for that to happen, we have to perform better than we did this year."

      Santana, who would have been eligible for free agency after the 2006 season, had asked for a raise from $1.6 million to $6.8 million and had been offered $5 million by the Twins.

      In agreeing to terms, Santana and the Twins avoided a salary arbitration hearing that was scheduled for Tuesday.
      -02-14-2005, 12:00 PM
    • Holt Your Horses
      Expect Chargers to franchise VJ
      by Holt Your Horses
      Taken from the San Diego Union Tribune.

      Thursday begins a two-week period in which NFL teams can place the franchise tag on a player, essentially assuring that player won’t become a free agent and will be part of their team in 2011.

      Maybe.

      The NFL Players Association says teams have no right to a franchise tag since the current Collective Bargaining Agreement will expire March 3. The NFL says the franchise tag is included in the CBA under which the league is operating.

      The Chargers, officially, have not made up their mind regarding whether to place the tag on wide receiver Vincent Jackson. The team’s personnel people have been meeting this week to decide the makeup of the team in 2011.

      However, it has been known for two months that General Manager A.J. Smith has been leaning toward keeping Jackson another year.

      Jackson, according to someone familiar with the player’s thinking, expects the tag and plans to play for the more than $10 million it would guarantee him.

      That is, if the franchise tag is part of a new CBA.

      “If there is no CBA (come March 3), the franchise tags will be meaningless,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said last week.

      It might all be semantics since most people expect the franchise tag to continue in the new CBA.

      Teams are allowed to designate one player scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent with the franchise tag. That guarantees the player the average salary of the top five players at his position but prevents him from hitting the more lucrative free agent market.

      If a team places the exclusive franchise tag on a player, that player cannot negotiate with other teams. The non-exclusive tag, however, allows the player to negotiate a long-term contract with other teams, the caveat being that a player’s original team is entitled to two first-round draft picks from any team that signs the player.

      The franchise tag is generally applied to a player a team wants but is either uncomfortable giving a long-term deal or cannot reach agreement with on a long-term deal.

      The Jackson situation features a little of both.

      The Chargers value Jackson’s game-changing ability but are unwilling to pay him what he is seeking, a price that was $50 million over five years with $30 million guaranteed last year and is certain to rise.


      Jackson’s 2,888 yards led the Chargers from 2007-09. But he has been arrested twice since 2006 for driving under the influence and on the morning of the team’s 2010 playoff loss to the New York Jets was detained and charged with driving on a suspended license.

      Jackson was suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell the first three games of 2010 for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

      The 28-year-old receiver did not report to the Chargers...
      -02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
    • Nick
      Donnie Edwards wants out of San Diego
      by Nick
      Trade talks with Saints break off
      By Kevin Acee
      UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

      August 25, 2006

      Donnie Edwards, not for lack of trying to leave his hometown, appears stuck here for now.

      Sources said yesterday the Chargers and New Orleans Saints have broken off trade talks, the Saints refusing to come up from their offer of a fourth-round draft pick in exchange for the beleaguered linebacker.

      The Saints are the only suitor to have contacted the Chargers.

      Sources also said that Edwards and General Manager A.J. Smith spoke recently in a meeting requested by Edwards. In that conference, Edwards asked Smith to let him go to New Orleans.

      Following the meeting, the Chargers contacted the Saints and said they would take a third-rounder in exchange for Edwards, but New Orleans held firm.

      Smith yesterday stuck by his policy, adopted early in training camp, of not discussing Edwards.

      Edwards declined to speak to the Union-Tribune yesterday.

      Edwards pulled up lame in the Chargers' second practice on the first day of training camp and has not practiced since. He has in the past week appeared on the verge of returning to practice but has yet to do so.

      Matt Wilhelm, meanwhile, has acquitted himself as a viable replacement. Head coach Marty Schottenheimer has said Edwards will be the starter if he is healthy.

      The 10-year veteran, an alumnus of Chula Vista High, will miss the Chargers' exhibition game against Seattle tomorrow. Should he return to practice when the team resumes work Monday, which Schottenheimer said he expects, Edwards could play in the exhibition finale Sept. 1 at San Francisco and be ready for the regular-season opener 10 days later.

      “He needs to get to work,” Schottenheimer said. “It will take him some time. I don't care who you are, it's a different pace.”

      If Edwards is not dealt before the Oct. 18 trading deadline, he will play the season essentially as a lame duck. He is clearly ready to leave, and equally clear for some time now is that Smith has little use for him.

      The Chargers in April informed the rest of the NFL that Edwards was available for trade. Smith's asking price was a second-round pick. While the Chargers came down by saying they would accept a third-rounder, word out of New Orleans has always been the Saints aren't going to part with a first-day pick.

      The difficulty in obtaining a high pick for Edwards is that teams do not want to overpay for a 33-year-old linebacker in the final year of his contract. Edwards is due $3.55 million this season, the final installment of a five-year, $18.75 million deal.

      Edwards, who has missed just one start since 1997, has led the Chargers in tackles each of his four seasons in San Diego. He also led the Chiefs in tackles from 1998 through 2001. Only Miami's...
      -08-25-2006, 03:42 PM
    • Nick
      PFT: Bosa, Chargers haven’t talked since Thursday
      by Nick
      Bosa, Chargers haven’t talked since Thursday
      Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2016, 8:00 AM EDT

      On Friday, Chargers G.M. Tom Telesco said that the team and the agents representing unsigned defensive end Joey Bosa are “actively talking.”

      Define “actively.” Also, define “talking.”

      A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the two sides last communicated on Thursday, two days before the Chargers reported to camp. The Chargers made an offer on Thursday morning. Bosa’s camp responded within 90 minutes. The last communication came from the team, which essentially asked Bosa’s representatives if they were sure about their position. They were, and they are.

      Telesco has called the differences “small” and “fundamental.” They are indeed fundamental, but not small.

      The primary sticking points, according to the sources, continue to be: (1) whether the fully guaranteed contract will include offset language; and (2) whether Bosa’s signing bonus will be paid in full this year. The team wants offset language and deferral of a significant portion of the signing bonus into 2017. At a time when many believe Bosa wants the exact opposite on both points, the truth is that Bosa’s representatives would accept one or the other: Offset language or full payment of the signing bonus in 2016.

      And that’s not a new development. Bosa has been willing to take one or the other since May.

      The Chargers base their refusal on team precedent. Bosa’s position is bolstered by the fact that, among top five picks, the trend has been for the player to have offset language and no deferral of the bonus into the next year or no offset language and deferral.

      For the top five picks drafted from 2012 through 2015, 16 of 20 received no offset language or no deferral of signing bonus into the next year. In 2016, three of the top-five picks who have signed received one or the other. The only exception this year was Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliot, who accepted offset language and deferral of his signing bonus. The Chargers are clinging to that point, even though 19 of the other 23 top-five picks since 2012 have gotten at least one or the other.

      Beyond the top five, multiple draft picks will receive all of their signing bonus this year. Ravens tackle Ronnie Stanley, the sixth overall pick, gets his full $13.097 million before the end of the calendar year. ***** defensive lineman DeForest Buckner will receive his full $11.492 million before the end of the calendar year. For Bosa, however, the Chargers are proposing a deferral percentage bigger than any other top-five pick has agreed to since 2012.

      Other issues, mainly regarding contract language, also exist between the Chargers and Bosa. But the main two points are offset language and deferral. The Chargers want both to go their way. Bosa wants only one.

      With both sides dug in, there’s...
      -08-01-2016, 08:45 AM
    Working...
    X