• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers' offer to Rivers takes incentives to extreme

Chargers' offer to Rivers takes incentives to extreme
    Andrew Bagnato
    The Arizona Republic
    Aug. 15, 2004 12:00 AM

NFL contract incentives are like playoff contenders in August. Some are realistic. Some aren't.

Talks between San Diego and quarterback Philip Rivers, the fourth overall pick in the draft, broke down in part because the Chargers insisted on incentives that could only be described as ludicrous. Under the reported terms of the team's proposal, Rivers would be paid a $5 million bonus if he appeared in four Pro Bowls and won four Super Bowls in his first six seasons.

He would receive another $7.5 million if he appeared in five Pro Bowls and won five Super Bowls during that time. And he would get an additional $10 million if he appeared in six Pro Bowls and won six Super Bowls in his first six seasons. That's a total of $22.5 million for six Pro Bowl appearances and six Super Bowl wins in six seasons.

Needless to say, no one has ever approached these feats in the long and storied history of the NFL. Still, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith called it a "great offer" when he announced early in the week that the club had rescinded the offer and broken off talks.

Rivers' agent, Jimmy Sexton, replied in a statement, "We are confused by the Chargers calling it 'a great offer' when such a large amount is impossible to ever achieve."

So the talks broke down, although reports out of San Diego indicate the two sides are really only about $4.25 million apart in base salary over a six-year deal and that club insiders expect an agreement to be worked out within days.

Re: Chargers' offer to Rivers takes incentives to extreme

I'm no expert on salary negotiations (I'm not even a novice), but this sounds pretty silly to me.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

I heard about those incentives the other day and it changed my mind about Rivers and (Eli) Manning. It's like the Postons are running San Diego's front office. I thought something was up when I saw that Jimmy Sexton was his agent, knowing that Sexton was usually pretty good about getting players signed (as far as I can remember). Quentin Jammer held out last year; LaDainian Tomlinson the year before. And now this.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Disco Man
        I heard about those incentives the other day and it changed my mind about Rivers and (Eli) Manning. It's like the Postons are running San Diego's front office. I thought something was up when I saw that Jimmy Sexton was his agent, knowing that Sexton was usually pretty good about getting players signed (as far as I can remember). Quentin Jammer held out last year; LaDainian Tomlinson the year before. And now this.
        EDM, I felt the same way when I heard about the negotiations. On draft day, I was not an Eli fan. I just didn't think a rookie should be making the demands he was making. But after hearing this, he did the right thing.

I wonder if San Diego has any Poston clients. Could you just imagine the nuclear meltdown that would happen if the Postons were dealing with the Chargers FO? Wow, worth the price of admission.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I swear the Poston brothers should start their own reality T.V. show.

The Po$ton$

Comment

OK, he was offered $10 million if he won 6 Super Bowls AND played in 6 Pro Bowls....within SIX YEARS!! PUH-LEASE!

Comment

Glad to hear how perceptions of Eli Manning are starting to change. The Chargers are worse than the Cardinals as far as organizations go.

Jimmy Sexton is one of the most reputable agents in the game, and if he can't get Rivers signed, what do you think Eli would have went through with this group?

As it looks now, Eli will be starting on opening day and Rivers probably won't even be in uniform. Way to go Eli.

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm ready to applaud Eli for his behavior, but it does seem as if he got a good read on the Chargers organization and did what was going to be best for his career. I'm just not sold on draftees saying who they will or won't play for in general though.

Comment

I just read in a discussion on another forum that those incentives are on top of a $40 million dollar six year deal, thus making the total of the contract over $60 million if Rivers were to meet those incentives. So, if that's true, then even if he doesn't reach those incentives, he's still getting $40 million over six years, which sounds pretty good.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                    PFT: Bosa, Chargers haven’t talked since Thursday
                    by Nick
                    Bosa, Chargers haven’t talked since Thursday
                    Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2016, 8:00 AM EDT

On Friday, Chargers G.M. Tom Telesco said that the team and the agents representing unsigned defensive end Joey Bosa are “actively talking.”

Define “actively.” Also, define “talking.”

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the two sides last communicated on Thursday, two days before the Chargers reported to camp. The Chargers made an offer on Thursday morning. Bosa’s camp responded within 90 minutes. The last communication came from the team, which essentially asked Bosa’s representatives if they were sure about their position. They were, and they are.

Telesco has called the differences “small” and “fundamental.” They are indeed fundamental, but not small.

The primary sticking points, according to the sources, continue to be: (1) whether the fully guaranteed contract will include offset language; and (2) whether Bosa’s signing bonus will be paid in full this year. The team wants offset language and deferral of a significant portion of the signing bonus into 2017. At a time when many believe Bosa wants the exact opposite on both points, the truth is that Bosa’s representatives would accept one or the other: Offset language or full payment of the signing bonus in 2016.

And that’s not a new development. Bosa has been willing to take one or the other since May.

The Chargers base their refusal on team precedent. Bosa’s position is bolstered by the fact that, among top five picks, the trend has been for the player to have offset language and no deferral of the bonus into the next year or no offset language and deferral.

For the top five picks drafted from 2012 through 2015, 16 of 20 received no offset language or no deferral of signing bonus into the next year. In 2016, three of the top-five picks who have signed received one or the other. The only exception this year was Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliot, who accepted offset language and deferral of his signing bonus. The Chargers are clinging to that point, even though 19 of the other 23 top-five picks since 2012 have gotten at least one or the other.

Beyond the top five, multiple draft picks will receive all of their signing bonus this year. Ravens tackle Ronnie Stanley, the sixth overall pick, gets his full $13.097 million before the end of the calendar year. ***** defensive lineman DeForest Buckner will receive his full $11.492 million before the end of the calendar year. For Bosa, however, the Chargers are proposing a deferral percentage bigger than any other top-five pick has agreed to since 2012.

Other issues, mainly regarding contract language, also exist between the Chargers and Bosa. But the main two points are offset language and deferral. The Chargers want both to go their way. Bosa wants only one.

With both sides dug in, there’s...
                    -08-01-2016, 08:45 AM
                  • Nick
                    CHARGERS - Unsigned players Gates and Merriman sit out camp
                    by Nick
                    Gates, Merriman remain unsigned
                    Thursday, July 28, 2005
                    Updated: July 29, 8:14 AM ET
                    Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates was a no-show when San Diego Chargers veterans reported for training camp Thursday, joining holdout rookie Shawne Merriman as the team's only unsigned players.

Gates, who went from being an undrafted rookie to All-Pro in just two seasons, has yet to sign a $380,000 contract the Chargers tendered him as an exclusive rights free agent during the offseason. Gates can't report until he signs either the tender or a long-term deal, which the team says it has been working on since last season.

Asked for a comment Thursday evening, coach Marty Schottenheimer said: "You know, it's all part of this business."

The Chargers, who reached the playoffs last year for the first time in nine seasons, have their first full-squad practice on Friday morning.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

But during an interview on Monday, he said talks with Gates' agent have been "ongoing since midseason" and that "communication's fantastic."

"Obviously we're trying to work out a contract with him," Smith said. "My philosophy -- pay our own people. I still believe that. There's a lot of other people I've got targeted right now we'll be talking with. It's something that's very important to me, I think, in building a football team. In saying that, both parties have to come together. We're working on it."

Gates couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

During a May minicamp, Gates said his agent has asked for "market value," which could mean something similar to the just more than $4 million a year Tony Gonzalez averages in his deal with Kansas City.

Gates had 13 touchdown catches last year to set the NFL single-season record for tight ends, breaking a mark shared by Mike Ditka, Wesley Walls, Todd Christensen and Jerry Smith. He was a big reason the Chargers went 12-4 and won the AFC West, as he led the team with 81 catches for 964 yards. He also came up big on third downs, with 358 yards and six touchdowns. He joined teammates Drew Brees and LaDainian Tomlinson as Pro Bowlers.

Gates didn't play football in college. He was a star power forward at Kent State, helping take the Golden Flashes within one win of the Final Four in 2002.

Merriman missed the first four training camp practices, which were for rookies and selected veterans. He also skipped all offseason workouts, worried that he might get hurt before he signed a contract. An outside linebacker from Maryland, he was the 12th pick overall in April's draft.
                    -07-29-2005, 11:48 AM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    Tomlinson: Philip Rivers Has Lost Faith In Chargers
                    by r8rh8rmike
                    Tomlinson: Philip Rivers has lost faith in Chargers

By Gregg Rosenthal
                    Around The NFL Editor
                    Published: April 20, 2015 at 08:02 p.m.

Philip Rivers is at the center of the most fascinating storyline of the offseason. But the Chargers quarterback isn't leaving San Diego yet, and its business as usual around the Chargers for now.

Rivers was at the start of the offseason training program Monday, NFL Media's Alex Flanagan reported. New Chargers receiver Steve Johnson, for one, said he was looking forward to catching Rivers' passes on Tuesday. But will Johnson still be catching his passes in Week 1?

One of Rivers' most notable former teammates, NFL Media's LaDainian Tomlinson, doesn't think so.

"You never want to trade your franchise quarterback. You know that's never the case. However, in this situation, they might have no choice but to do so," Tomlinson said Monday on NFL Network's NFL Total Access. "Because I don't know if Philip (Rivers) wants to be there anymore. I think he has lost confidence in the organization. He's seen a lot of changes going on and the L.A. thing is valid. Him not wanting to go to L.A. is very valid."

Tomlinson points towards a larger divide between the quarterback and the organization than just a potential move up Interstate 5.

"The parts around him keep on moving. The receiver corps keeps on changing. Eddie Royal is now gone," Tomlinson noted. "We talked about this before with Vincent Jackson leaving years ago. There are so many parts that are leaving. When Philip is looking around in that locker room and he doesn't see anyone that he's familiar with other than Antonio Gates.

"Now to that point, Antonio Gates next year is a free agent, Eric Weddle is gonna be up. Next year the Chargers have a lot of decisions to make with a lot of key guys. So Philip could be looking at the situation and thinking 'we're not close to winning a championship anytime soon.' "

That can't be easy for Chargers fans to read. Kevin Acee of the U-T San Diego also wrote last week that it's time to trade Rivers, indicating that Rivers could retire before he played in Los Angeles. Tomlinson's words echo the notion that Rivers wants out.

Rivers declined to speak to the media on Monday, but the message coming from San Diego is unmistakable.
                    -04-20-2015, 08:17 PM
                  • Nick
                    Rivers and Chargers reportedly agree to terms
                    by Nick
                    The contract should be signed soon.
                    -08-23-2004, 09:06 PM
                  • Nick
                    Chargers/Rivers talks break down
                    by Nick
                    Statement from A.J. Smith

08.09.04 - On Monday, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith made the following statement to the media regarding contract negotiations with Philip Rivers:

"We have an update on the Philip Rivers negotiations. Negotiations have broken down. Prior to the training camp report date we made an effort to get Philip signed. Also, during the past week, we exchanged ideas and could not come to an agreement. On Friday, we offered a great deal to Philip. We also notified both Philip and his agent, Jimmy Sexton, that the offer will stand until 5 p.m. Sunday evening and if not accepted, the offer will be pulled off the table. Our offer was rejected. We also informed them that the package we talked about and offered will now only go down in value.

The offer we made to Philip is not a slot offer at No. 4, but in fact, an offer that exceeds No. 2 Robert Gallery and No. 3 Larry Fitzgerald. We believe it's a great offer. Jimmy Sexton has been informed several times that the Manning-Condon deal with the New York Giants was of no concern to us before, no concern now or will it be in the future. This is very unfortunate and disappointing, but it is what it is.

It's now time to concentrate on the players we have here and get ready for our preseason games and gear our efforts to get ready for the opener against Houston. From this time forward I will not talk about the Philip Rivers contract situation anymore. I hope I've made our position very clear. If he decides to sign a contract with the San Diego Chargers, then I'll be more than happy to talk about Philip Rivers.

Dean Spanos supports this decision 100 percent."
                    -08-10-2004, 01:22 AM
                  Working...
                  X