Hargrove suspened one year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hargrove suspened one year

Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2008, 9:14 a.m.
    Our friend Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange and Sirius NFL Radio reports (via WKBW-TV in Buffalo) that Bills defensive end Anthony Hargrove has recently failed a drug test.

Because Hargrove has been suspended four games for violation of the substance-abuse policy within the last two years, the failed test most likely will trigger a one-year suspension.

Hargrove was traded to the Bills in 2006 from the Rams, after Hargrove went AWOL for several days during the regular season.

He’ll be an unrestricted free agent in March. And if he’s suspended for a year, it’s pretty safe to assume he won’t draw many offers.

Hargrove appeared in 12 games in 2007, starting in none of them. He had 18 tackles, 10 assists, and 1.5 sacks

Re: Hargrove Faces One-year Suspension

I guess I will never understand how and why these guys continue to screw up there lives and careers.

Comment

I agree, JK, they just don't get it. They are on top of the world and they risk throwing it all away for what, a short term indugence for instant gratification. Besides any laws that they've broken, they are guilty of immaturity in the first degree.

"Just say no to drugs" :| Drink beer!!! :beer:
      Last edited by viper; -01-19-2008, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Like many before him, great talent, no functional brain. One year of college, very short pro career, it wont be long before mr hargrove is either saying "Sir, would you like to supersize that" or returning to work as a baggage handler at delta. Frankly, i have no problem at all and respect hard working people that work as baggage handlers, my issue is just the waste of talent and opportunity.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Hargrove is a waste:

Hargrove to be Suspended? | WKBW - TV Buffalo, New York | Sports

Comment

Yeah, I too wonder what the hell they're thinking.

What's wrong with the guys playing (American) football? I've watched quite a lot of other sports including a lot of (European) football (which have several orders of magnitude more players than NFL), and many other sports. And I have NEVER seen such a bunch of jerks as the players in the NFL. Shootings, using drugs, murders, dealing drugs, domestic abuse, drunk driving. What is wrong with the NFL compared to other sports?

Something is wrong, and you don't see it in any other sports that I'm aware of. Sure you may see one or two cases, but in the NFL it's several guys on every team every year getting into this ****, it's a significant percentage.

I don't get it.
            Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -01-20-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Re: Hargrove suspened one year

NFL suspends Bills' DE Hargrove for season after he violated substance abuse policy third time

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
              January 21, 2008

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Buffalo Bills defensive end Anthony Hargrove was suspended without pay for all next season Monday by the NFL after violating the league's substance abuse policy a third time.

The violation was Hargrove's second since August, when he was suspended without pay for the first four games of the regular season.

A third violation triggers an automatic one-year suspension, and Hargrove must apply to commissioner Roger Goodell for reinstatement.

The NFL did not disclose how Hargrove violated the policy. Violations can result from positive tests, failure to cooperate in the testing program or failing to comply with a treatment plan.

Hargrove's agent, Philip Williams, was out of the country and not immediately available for comment.

The Bills declined comment beyond issuing an NFL release announcing the suspension, which came three weeks after Buffalo (7-9) completed its season.

Though Hargrove has said he hoped to re-sign with the Bills, his future in Buffalo was already uncertain. He has completed his one-year contract and was eligible to become a free agent this offseason.

In 12 games last season, Hargrove finished with 46 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks, and proved to be a capable backup behind starters Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay.

Outgoing and well-liked by his Bills teammates, Hargrove has been unable to stay out of trouble during a five-year NFL career, including the past two with Buffalo.

A week before he was suspended in August, Hargrove was involved in an altercation with police outside a Rochester nightclub during an off-day at Bills training camp in nearby Pittsford. That resulted in a $300 fine, and Hargrove was ordered to perform 200 hours of community service after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct.

Hargrove has said he regretted his actions.

The Bills acquired Hargrove, a 2004 third-round selection out of Georgia Tech, in a trade with St. Louis in October 2006, soon after he lost his starting job with the Rams for skipping two days of practice and meetings.

Comment

Re: Hargrove suspened one year

He's done, Linehan was right on that one.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                  Hargrove strikes police officer
                  by RamWraith
                  profootballtalk.com

OPENING OF CAMP DOESN'T MEAN CLOSING OF JAIL

Just as the "days without an arrest" counter made a rare return to the land of two digits, we can set it back to zero.

Thank you, Anthony Hargrove.

Hargrove, a Bills defensive end, is charged with striking a police officer early Sunday morning in Rochester.

Per R News, police responded to reports of fighting on St. Paul Street, and used pepper spray to disperse a crowd of 300 to 400 people. Hargrove was inadvertently struck with the strong gas cloud, and then intentionally (allegedly) struck a police officer in the face, busting his glasses.

Which, of course, eventually resulted in Hargrove getting sprayed again.

Hargrove is charged with harassment, criminal mischief, and resisting arrest. His brother, Terrence, also has been charged with obstructing governmental administration and resisting arrest.

Hargrove is a fourth-year player from Georgia Tech. He spent his first two seasons with the Rams, starting in four games as a rookie and 15 in his second year. He started the first four games of the 2006 season with the Rams before going AWOL. In October, he was traded to the Bills for a fifth-round pick in the 2007 draft.

He currently is listed as the second string right defensive end, behind Aaron Schobel.

In the offseason, the Bills offered to Hargrove the low-level restricted free agent tender of $850,000. Since the payment is not guaranteed, the arrest could be enough to get Hargrove released.
                  -08-05-2007, 09:56 AM
                • RamWraith
                  Hargrove Hopes Success Carries Over
                  by RamWraith
                  Monday, August 7, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
                  Senior Writer

On any given day, during any normal training camp practice, there will be plenty of chatter on the field. For the most part, that talk is relatively reserved, but every once in a while the monotony of the day to grind will be broken up by loud, shrill screams.

Those screeches can be heard all over the field and almost always originate from the guy wearing No. 95, defensive end Anthony Hargrove.

“He keeps us amused because he has a lot of energy,” defensive end Leonard Little said. “I have always known Tony as a high energy guy, always laughing, joking around, jumping around. It keeps us laughing, but it also keeps us loosened up out there during practice.”

Entering his third season in the NFL, Hargrove has never lacked energy or enthusiasm for football. On a consistent basis, Hargrove has been one of the team leaders in smiles and laughs.

What he hasn’t been consistent about is sacking the quarterback or stuffing the run at his spot opposite Little. That’s one mission that Hargrove is taking steps to correct and he believes this is the year to do it.

“That’s how I am treating it right now for myself as a make it or break it year,” Hargrove said. “It’s my third year; I finally should hopefully be the starter and trying to do the best I can to see where it goes from there. We’ll see what happens.”

When the Rams drafted Hargrove with their third-round choice in 2004, he had been a year removed from football because of academic issues at Georgia Tech. When he was on the field, Hargrove had been a quarterback with little experience as a defensive end.

But his size (6-3, 269 pounds) and athleticism made him an intriguing option for any team willing to take a chance on a bit of a project for the position. The Rams took that chance and Hargrove instantly became one of the team’s most impressive athletes.

Hargrove was dominant on the practice field with his speed and agility, but it never quite translated to game days. Sure, there were flashes of the talent, but Hargrove lacked consistency from game to game.

Finally, at the end of last season, something started to work for Hargrove. Never a fan of film study, Hargrove became a student of the game. He finished the year on a tear, recording 4.5 sacks in the final three games including a two-sack, fumble recovery, four tackle game in the finale against Dallas.

“I started watching more film and watching pass rushers to see what they are doing that I wasn’t doing and that’s what I tried to do,” Hargrove said. “I just tried to do what they were doing.”

What the likes of Dwight Freeney and Michael Strahan were doing was getting to the quarterback. Hargrove made it his mission to carry the confidence gained from his finish to the season into the offseason.
                  -08-07-2006, 08:28 PM
                • HUbison
                  Hargrove missing?
                  by HUbison
                  What is this all about?...
                  -09-21-2006, 12:48 PM
                • RamWraith
                  Hargrove
                  by RamWraith
                  Hargrove seemed to get more playing time last week. I must say, he looked pretty good. I saw several pressures and being around the ball on the other side of the field.
                  I wonder why the increased time? Fischer has been a non-factor the last couple of weeks. Maybe we will see more of the youngster.
                  -10-05-2004, 07:15 AM
                • RamWraith
                  Hargrove Lands in Starting Role
                  by RamWraith
                  Thursday, August 18, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
                  Senior Writer

Watching Anthony Hargrove go through a practice or play in a game can lead to any number of questions, but none might be more prominent than the simple wonderment of where he gets that endless energy supply.

Some might say it’s his love of football and others might indicate that it comes down to the pursuit of a big contract. In reality, though, Hargrove’s engine is revved by jet fuel.

You know, the kind of fuel used on airplanes, the kind of airplanes that could be found at Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta. The exact airport that only two years ago employed Hargrove as a plane pusher.

So, if you ever catch Hargrove taking a play or two off in a practice, it won’t last long, at least no so long as a 757 or any other plane continues to cruise of the Rams Park practice field.

“Every time I hear those planes flying overhead it reminds me of where I was at,” Hargrove said. “So, any time I am on the field and I am tired and I hear a plane I get to work. I don’t want to go back to where I was at. I was getting a little tired in a nine-on-seven today and I saw a plane take off and I looked at Leonard and went to coach and asked to get back in and get back to work.”

That was the first day of training camp when Hargrove saw that 757 flying in to Lambert Airport, but the relentless effort and attitude has never been a problem for the young defensive end.

Hargrove’s energy was so abundant last season that no matter what the drill, if the ball hit the ground, he was the first one to get it. He would even chase down incompletions that were 30 yards down field and 15 yards out of bounds. His logic was a little fuzzy, but he reasoned that any time the ball hits the ground; the defense needs to come away with it.

Hargrove impressed the coaching staff and his teammates with his boundless enthusiasm, but he was still a little rough around the edges. The raw power and speed was there, but the technique still needed work.

There was early speculation that Hargrove would win the starting job opposite Leonard Little, but the Rams played it safe with Bryce Fisher. Hargrove didn’t let up, though, and claimed the starting spot by the Dec. 27 game against Philadelphia. Heading into this season, Hargrove has yet to relinquish that position.

“I set goals for myself,” Hargrove said. “I told myself that by my second year I wanted to be a starter on this team. Last year I ended the season as a starter and this year, hopefully I can hang on to it. It makes me work harder to try to be No. 1.”

The thought of Hargrove working harder isn’t exactly music to the ears of the teammates who must face him in one-on-one pass rush drills ever day. Alex Barron found out the hard about Hargrove’s excitable nature the hard way on...
                  -08-19-2005, 06:34 AM
                Working...
                X