Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate to say this

But...

If you are looking to make a wager on a good thing, the Minnesota Vikings look for real this year. I would never say this to any of my local friends here, but they sure seem to have that "special swagger" about them that I so remember from the 1999 Rams team. If you pick up the local papers you will read a lot of things that one has never read in the past with this team. Things I remember reading about the Rams. It's almost the feeling of having fun. You can sense that this team is on the same page. The feeling that is so hard to describe but remembered so well. You can almost sense the troops feeding off each other.

I am not trying to be a cheerleader. Or give any props to one of my most hated teams in the NFL, but to be honest they are going to give any opponent everything they can handle and would not be shocked to see this as their year.

Re: I hate to say this

True, but they're playing in what looks to be a pretty competitive division. The Packers are always a contender, and the Lions offense has just enough weapons to make them dangerous. The Bears might even be able to put up a fight. But the swagger thing is interesting. As long as they don't collapse like they did last year, they could be a very deep playoff team.

Comment

The talent is not what I am impressed with its that intangible that seems to be lerking about them. You all know what it is and what it feels like. They have it. If this team does not start slow, it would surprise me not to see them represent the NFC in the Show.

Originally posted by NickSeiler
      True, but they're playing in what looks to be a pretty competitive division. The Packers are always a contender, and the Lions offense has just enough weapons to make them dangerous. The Bears might even be able to put up a fight. But the swagger thing is interesting. As long as they don't collapse like they did last year, they could be a very deep playoff team.

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith
        ... they sure seem to have that "special swagger" about them that I so remember ...
        And you judge that how? By my last count, approximately 110 people have travelled through the "Rams" training camp roster. Lot of people's swaggger to keep track of. Do you guage the "swagger" by the "pimp roll" of a handful or the "gin joint shuffle" of a few or does it take a collective "line dance" to mark the swagger?

Inquiring minds want to know. ... Because if you know how to characterize it, you probably will want to know how to bottle it.

Comment

I think they have a few problems.

First, their pass defense is still suspect.

Second, Mike Tice is not a very good coach.

Third, they don't have a real threat at the #2 WR spot.

That said, I do think they are a playoff team and will be in the mix.

Comment

Not sure how many times I have to say it for you to understand adarian
            so I will quote what I already said.

-"If you pick up the local papers you will read a lot of things that one has never read in the past with this team. Things I remember reading about the Rams. It's almost the feeling of having fun. You can sense that this team is on the same page. The feeling that is so hard to describe but remembered so well. You can almost sense the troops feeding off each other"

-"intangible that seems to be lerking about them"

-"You all know what it is and what it feels like. They have it."

This to me is that "swagger". Its somehthing that we all felt with the Rams in '99. It's hard to describe, but its there.

Originally posted by adarian_too
            And you judge that how? By my last count, approximately 110 people have travelled through the "Rams" training camp roster. Lot of people's swaggger to keep track of. Do you guage the "swagger" by the "pimp roll" of a handful or the "gin joint shuffle" of a few or does it take a collective "line dance" to mark the swagger?

Inquiring minds want to know. ... Because if you know how to characterize it, you probably will want to know how to bottle it.

Comment

Reminds me of team in 1999 that
              -didn't have a QB
              -Had an unproven WR to compliment Bruce
              -an underachiving o-line
              -and an undersized d-line

Only thing this team had was an over paid running back, a gaurd that knew how to win and a top caliber wide out that was injury prone.

Originally posted by AvengerRam
              I think they have a few problems.

First, their pass defense is still suspect.

Second, Mike Tice is not a very good coach.

Third, they don't have a real threat at the #2 WR spot.

That said, I do think they are a playoff team and will be in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith
                Not sure how many times I have to say it for you to understand adarian.
                I don't like to repeat myself either. Twice will be fine, thank you.

Comment

They could very well be playing January football. Young front 7, deep RB corp, they've got some good things going.

On a similar note...so Wraith, how's your boy Brock Lesnar doing in the Vikes camp?
                  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Sounds like he is getting some good hazing ;-)
                    Honestly, it sounds like he will make the practice team for sure. They like a lot of what they see in him. He has a lot of raw untapped talent and a nose for the game. But it is just that, RAW. Sounds like the kid might have been a force if he would have chosen football over wrestling in college. The one thing I guess he has really brought to the team though is toughness and a hell of a work ethic. The kid goes 110% all the time, and has shown some of the vets what it means to work hard and play hard.

Originally posted by HUbison
                    They could very well be playing January football. Young front 7, deep RB corp, they've got some good things going.

On a similar note...so Wraith, how's your boy Brock Lesnar doing in the Vikes camp?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
                      A + B does not necessarily = C
                      by AvengerRam_old
                      I've seen this mantra repeated over and over by sportswriters:

(A) The Rams are rebuilding; and

(B) They are relying on a lot of young, untested, players; therefore

(C) The Rams will continue to struggle for the next year or two.

This analysis proves to me (not that it is a surprise) that sportswriters are not very knowledgeable in the fields of history or probability.

Premise (A) is true. Premise (B) is likewise true. But that does not mean that conclusion (C) must necessarily follow. If it did, you would not have teams like last year's Dolphins or Falcons.

So how do you predict how a team like the Rams will do? It is certainly difficult. I, for one, am not ready to make my prediction for 2009.

For sportswriters, the easiest thing to do is to simply presume that the Rams will continue to struggle. However, to characterize that as a foregone conclusion is to ignore history and probability.
                      -05-12-2009, 09:39 AM
                    • RAMS81
                      Rams have big suprise in store...
                      by RAMS81
                      I think the rams have a couple of tricks up their sleeves that they havent shown anyone yet. I say that because look at the cardinals. How they stumbled into the playoffs. Granted the rams aint the cardinals, but I do see something similar happening with my rams. It just seems like its perfectly set up! New coach, already been playing well, no one outside our fanbase beilives we can even make the playoffs, and even some of them dont. I dont know exactly how far were gonna go, but I think the rams will be pulling a few rabbits out of their hats come seasons end and shock everyone.
                      -10-30-2006, 12:59 PM
                      lol must read this
                      by Guest
                      I got this from the cards M-board

Random thoughts from people 25-35 years old.

-I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

-More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can
                      think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell
                      my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

-Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
                      realize you're wrong.

-Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you're
                      going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to
                      be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction
                      from which you came, you have to first do something like check your
                      watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to
                      ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you're crazy by
                      randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.

-That's enough, Nickelback.

-I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

-Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the "people you may know"
                      feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose
                      not to be friends with?

-Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't
                      work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically
                      fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all
                      know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards
                      or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

-Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and
                      suddenly realize I had no idea what the f was going on when I first saw it.

-I think everyone has a movie that they love so much, it actually
                      becomes stressful to watch it with other people. I'll end up wasting
                      90 minutes shiftily glancing around to confirm that everyone's
                      laughing at the right parts, then making sure I laugh just a little bit
                      harder (and a millisecond earlier) to prove that I'm still the only one
                      who really, really gets it.

-How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

-I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than
                      take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.

- I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear
                      your computer history if you die.

-The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.

- A recent study has shown that playing beer pong contributes to the
                      spread of mono and the flu. Yeah, if you suck at it.

- LOL has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

-09-04-2009, 11:19 PM
                    • RamWraith
                      Hate burns deep
                      by RamWraith
                      I spent many days pondering the thoughts I wrote in my last thread about how much our team is hated and what we fans have come to expect out of team.

I have came up with onw conclusions and it took my Packer reletives to help me see it.

"HATE RUNS DEEP IN PEOPLE...AND PEOPLE FEAR WHAT THEY HATE"

This is the explanation I came up with on WHY we are the Rams...I LOVE IT

Good Luck next week team!!!
                      -01-21-2002, 08:27 AM
                    • ZiaRam
                      Great Article: What are the 2010 Rams?
                      by ZiaRam
                      by Cliff Saunders

I have been covering the NFL since 1990. I have dealt with dozens of head coaches in the last twenty years. Some of them had long and successful runs in the league (like Bill Parcells). A lot of them didnít (like Richie Kotite). But the one thing they all said was ďYou are what your record says you are.Ē So, letís take a look at the 3-3 St. Louis Rams, shall we.

What exactly do we have with this team?

There are some who believe that the Rams are a contender. There are some who still donít think much of this club. The truth of the matter is this team is probably somewhere right in the middle of the two extremes. They are what their record is Ė 3-3 is respectable. Compared to last year, though, this feels like a Super Bowl season.

I donít think Iím out of line when I say that the team that went 1-15 last year was a disaster. You might find some people over at Rams Park that would try to put some kind of spin on it, but thereís no dressing up what last year was. It was ugly. Thereís nothing you can do to make it look better. You just have to acknowledge what happened and move on. Thatís exactly what the Rams have done.

Before the season started I said that 2010 was about getting back to respectability. The season might only be six games old, but I believe the Rams have gotten to the point where they are no longer pushovers.

Teams can no longer take a look at their schedule, see the Rams, and think to themselves that itís going to be a walk in the park. That ship has sailed.

The Rams have been in five of the six games they have played this season (at this point I think you have to look at the Lions loss as a fluke more than anything else). They gave the defending NFC Champion Arizona Cardinals everything they could handle. They were in the Raiders game. They beat Seattle, Washington, and San Diego. What happened in Detroit doesnít look like anything more than a blip on the radar screen.

The first step on the road back to respectability was adding a franchise quarterback (Sam Bradford) to an offense that already had Steven Jackson. What people didnít talk about as far as Bradford was concerned before the draft were his intangibles. People underestimated his ability to lead. People made the mistake of not looking at his record at Oklahoma (the kid has always been a winner). His intangibles are a big reason why he has made the transition from the college game to the pro game so smoothly.

The next step was winning the kinds of games they lost last year. Sure, there were plenty of blowout losses in 2009, but there were also plenty of close calls. There were games that some considered moral victories but that counted as real losses.

Those emotionally draining losses havenít been as prevalent this season. Sure, there were the losses to the Cardinals and Raiders to start the season. But you havenít seen...
                      -10-19-2010, 09:15 PM
                    Working...
                    X