Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warner gets the nod

per Giants.com

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin has named Kurt Warner as the starting quarterback when the Giants face the Jets this Friday night. Both Warner and rookie Eli Manning will split time with the first team offense, which is expected to play into the third quarter

Re: Warner gets the nod

This shouldn't be surprising. Coughlin has said those two will be taking turns throughout the preseason. I assume Manning will probably start the 4th game.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

You have to wonder if this means Kurt is the frontrunner for the opening game starter, considering the thrid preseason game is usually considered a dress rehersal of the regular season and the fourth game is more of a "let's not get injured" game.

Comment

As sad as it may seem but my prediction is Warner will be the starter for opening day and opening day only.

It is my belief that the Giants organization knowing full well what it is like to go to the likes of Philly to play will have Warner be the sacrificial lamb with what will be an onslaught of the quarterback. The Giants are in a win, win situation with Warner starting. If the line doesn't hold it is only Warner going down, and it will give the opportunity for Manning to step in naturally. If the line does hold Warner will play well enough to ease the youngster in.

Its a win, win for the Giants and a lose, lose for Warner. One can only hope that he isn't killed by the rabidiness that can become of Philadelphia at home, during there opener.

Originally posted by NickSeiler
        You have to wonder if this means Kurt is the frontrunner for the opening game starter, considering the thrid preseason game is usually considered a dress rehersal of the regular season and the fourth game is more of a "let's not get injured" game.
        Last edited by RamWraith; -08-26-2004, 07:44 AM.

Comment

It sounds like Coughlin is sticking to his original plan, but I think everyone out there has Eli with the edge over Warner at this point, based on performance?

But I'm rooting for Kurt. I hope he plays well this Friday. I'd like to see him get a little respect back this year, even though Manning will be starting at some point this year, if not opening day.

Comment

The problem I see with this situation is that while Kurt signed a two-year deal with New York, he's certainly not going to be there after this season. According to an interview on ESPN, he said he'd like to play this season, go to another team and play 2-3 more years before retiring. I'm not convinced there are a lot of teams out there that are going to be interested in Warner after this season, at least not as a starter. And Warner doesn't seem to be backing away from the idea that he's starting material. So I'm curious to see how this develops in the next couple of seasons.

Comment

I believe Philly started 0-3 last year and has their own problems so maybe KW will not be the "sacrificial" lamb as it is football and who cares who you play as you have to go out there and try to play your best.

Starting Gate in NY 'ants land is a non issue. :tongue:
              Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Comment

Originally posted by fearlessone
                I believe Philly started 0-3 last year and has their own problems so maybe KW will not be the "sacrificial" lamb as it is football and who cares who you play as you have to go out there and try to play your best.

Well, I think the Eagles started 0-2 (not 0-3) more because of their offensive struggles than inability on defense. McNabb had a QB rating in the 40s from his first two games. Rest assured that Jim Johnson will have plenty of blitz packages ready and waiting on whoever starts for the Giants in Week One, and the addition of Jevon Kearse on the defensive line makes their pass rush even more dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
                  Well, I think the Eagles started 0-2 (not 0-3) more because of their offensive struggles than inability on defense. McNabb had a QB rating in the 40s from his first two games. Rest assured that Jim Johnson will have plenty of blitz packages ready and waiting on whoever starts for the Giants in Week One, and the addition of Jevon Kearse on the defensive line makes their pass rush even more dangerous.
                  You're right and with that offensive line, everybody is going to be sending the house at the Giants. I was thinking that Warner seemed to be a little more comfortable scrambling this preseason. Once his insurance company took a look at that O-line, I bet his health premiums went through the roof. I hope Warner & Manning are both light on their feet or NY will be ushering in the Jesse Palmer & Alex Van Dyke era. Maybe they should bring back Jared Lorenzen, it would take an entire defensive line to bring him down.
                  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by fearlessone
                    I agree. KW should start over an unproven rookie. One of KW's early strong suits was to make quick decisions and release the ball quickly. It won't take long to see if something has changed in that respect and then if it has the Kid can become the second coming of christe. That is until he mucks up a blitz read and it costs them a game ...

Comment

I agree with Wraith on this matter. The Giants clearly have more to lose if they start Eli, IMO. He's their franchise QB, the man of the future. If Warner struggles, they can bring Eli the hero in, banking on his camp, preseason, and early regular season observations. But if they put Eli in and he struggles right off the bat, people will immediately begin to question if he was the right boat to sail for today and tomorrow. Imagine if they put Eli in for the first two weeks (versus Philly and Washington) and they go 0-2 with Eli stinking up the joint. Talk about media pressure in the Big Apple!

Comment

Well, I think Coughlin made up his mind a long time ago and is just doing the respectful thing to both. My prediction is Manning starts on Day 1, but won't take every snap this season.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• LaRamsFanLongTime
                          Kurt Warner has been benched
                          by LaRamsFanLongTime
                          After another hard loss for the New Yourk Giants, Tom Coughlin announced that Eli Manning will start for the Giants. After the loss Coughlin said Warner would start but Monday the story changed and so did the starting QB for the Giants.

"Eli has been involved in the game plan, he knows the system and he will come in and play the game."

"Kurt will be very supportive of Eli."
                          This sucks for Kurt, man I was pulling for him.
                          -11-15-2004, 12:37 PM
                        • Nick
                          Footballguys.com Analysis of Warner Situation
                          by Nick
                          Fantasy Notebook: Fool Me Once, Shame On You. ...
                          By Bob Harris - Senior NFL Analyst - Footballguys.com

Well, the latest reports filtering out of the Big Apple say Kurt Warner
                          looked sharp during his initial mini-camp workouts this week. His passes
                          were crisp and mostly on target. But as New York Daily News staffer Ralph
                          Vacchiano noted, the surprise was that Eli Manning's passes looked even
                          better.

After struggling through his first mini-camp as a pro early last month,
                          Manning put all that behind him Monday with a much-improved performance
                          that caught the eyes of his coaches and teammates.

According to Vacchiano, "his command in the huddle was better and he had a
                          much greater knowledge of the offense. And as a result, he was able to
                          show off the right arm that the Giants worked so hard to acquire in their
                          blockbuster draft-day trade."

Wow. Sounds pretty darned good. ...

Unfortunately, Manning didn't fare as well Tuesday. Which should come as
                          no surprise. Once again, we're talking about a rookie trying to get up to
                          speed at the league's most difficult position to master.

Which is why, I suspect, we'll see a growing media drumbeat surrounding
                          the Warner/Manning competition with Warner putting increasing pressure on
                          his younger teammate as he becomes familiar with the Giants' system and
                          his NFL MVP experience begins to factor into the equation.

But that doesn't mean I believe Warner is the best man for this job. Nor
                          am I sure he's not. And I'm not alone in my confusion.

In fact, after reviewing some of the opinions being floated by those "in
                          the know," I've come to the conclusion that Warner is as mysterious to the
                          rest of the world as he is to me.

A sampling follows. ...

In an article published Monday, Sports Illustrated insider Peter King
                          advised readers: "I think Kurt Warner, whatever happens, will be a team
                          player and will help Eli Manning as much as he can with the Giants. Warner
                          is one of the few people I know in football who truly would help the guy
                          behind him even if it meant it might hurt his situation."

But former Giants quarterback Phil Simms disagreed.

"The perfect guy (for the Giants) was Neil O'Donnell," Simms told the
                          Newark Star-Ledger. "It's not a knock against Kurt, but the agendas are
                          different. Kurt Warner still wants to be a franchise quarterback. He wants
                          to be the guy. ... Kurt Warner will give information to Eli, but he's
                          going to be more concerned about his performance, his knowledge and what
                          he's doing."

Another Sports Illustrated writer, NFL guru Paul Zimmerman, took things a
                          step further,...
                          -06-13-2004, 09:36 PM
                        • Shadesofgrey
                          Warner named starting Qb for 04
                          by Shadesofgrey
                          http://www.giants.com/

This morning Giants head coach Tom Coughlin named Kurt Warner his starting quarterback. Warner beat out the Giants #1 draft choice Eli Manning for the job during an intense quarterback competition this summer.
                          -08-29-2004, 09:59 AM
                        • WisRamsFan
                          Warner in the correct forum
                          by WisRamsFan
                          Warner becomes caretaker QB until Manning ready

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
                          June 3, 2004
                          EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New York Giants are taking some of the pressure off Eli Manning , signing Kurt Warner to be their caretaker quarterback until the top pick in the draft is ready to take over.

While the two-time MVP got a two-year contract late Wednesday that will pay him a minimum of $3.5 million this year, there is no guarantee the two-time NFL MVP will play for the Giants for more than a year.

When Manning is ready to go, he will be the Giants' quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Until then, the job seemingly belongs to Warner, the soon-to-be 33-year-old who led the St. Louis Rams to Super Bowl appearances after the 1999 and 2001 seasons. Injuries and the emergence of Marc Bulger earned him a pink slip on Tuesday.

``I am looking to come in and to play and to re-establish myself,'' Warner said at Thursday, hours after his first practice. ``I would love this to be where I finish my career.''

Warner has incentives that can push his salary to $8 million this season. However, the second year of his contract is voidable and his tenure may well be determined by Manning's progress in his rookie season.

``I don't want to keep moving and picking up my family,'' Warner added. ``I want to continue to have success. I would love it to be here in New York and I will do whatever in my time here to be successful. We'll just see what happens.''

``Obviously Manning is there, but this is New York and if Kurt wins, they are not going to want him to leave,'' said Mark Bartelstein, Warner's agent.

The signing takes a ton of pressure off Manning.

The son of Archie Manning and the brother of Colts quarterback Peyton Manning became the Giants' starting quarterback when Kerry Collins refused to take a pay cut and was released less than a week after New York got the No. 1 pick in a draft-day trade with San Diego.

Manning, who has known for weeks the Giants planned to sign a veteran, still plans on competing for the starting job.

``I don't know if this takes the pressure off,'' Manning said. ``I don't know if anything has changed in my view. I am still going to practice just as hard as ever. I want to be ready.''

Manning and Warner spoke for a few minutes on Thursday. Warner plans to tutor Manning, just as he did with Bulger in St. Louis.

``To teach a guy the little things and have him become a better quarterback was fun for me, as frustrating as it was not playing,'' Warner said. ``But I look forward to helping any way I can.''

Warner also is looking forward to playing again. He suffered a concussion in a season-opening loss to the Giants last season and did not start for the rest of the year. He...
                          -06-03-2004, 03:58 PM
                          QB Kurt Warner is set to leave the Giants and become a starter for another NFL team.
                          by Guest
                          December 29, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Kurt Warner believes he can and will be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

QB Kurt Warner is set to leave the Giants and become a starter for another NFL team.
                          Eli Manning is the Giants’ starter. Therefore, the Giants’ Sunday night season finale against the Dallas Cowboys could well be Warner’s final game in a Giants uniform.

“Very possibly,” Warner said today. “I think everybody would foresee that being the case. Who knows what’s going to happen? You never know what the future has in store and what could transpire. But I think that’s everybody’s thought process right now.

“I want to be somewhere starting next year. They know it’s not here with the New York Giants. And they understand my point of view 100 percent.”

Warner, who was signed as a free agent on June 2 after a record-breaking six-year run with the St. Louis Rams, started the first nine games of the season. The Giants were 5-4 in those games and Warner completed 62.8 percent of his passes (174 of 277) for 2,054 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. Warner’s quarterback rating of 86.5 still ranks seventh in the NFC.

After a 17-14 loss in Arizona on November 14, coach Tom Coughlin named Manning the new starting quarterback. The first pick in this year’s NFL Draft – and a player the Giants obtained in a trade of draft choices, including this year’s first round pick -- Manning was the quarterback of the future. The only question was when that future would arrive.

Since it did, Warner has played just once in relief, an appearance in a hopelessly lost cause in the fourth quarter of a 23-point defeat in Baltimore, where he led the Giants to their only offensive touchdown.

Throughout what could have been a difficult or uncomfortable position, Warner has carried himself with dignity and grace. He has helped Manning whenever possible. Warner has publicly advocated that Coughlin stick with Manning, even when the youngster struggled, and it seemed he might have a shot to play again. And Warner has never hidden from the media. Today he entered the locker room and said, “Does anybody need me?”

While Warner is an exceptional gentleman, he is also an intense competitor. It is that fire that helped him win two NFL Most Valuable Player awards and twice lead the Rams to the Super Bowl, including a victory five years ago. At 33, Warner insists he has plenty of good football left in him, a notion that was cemented in his own mind by his play early this season.

“I’m not going to be content, right now in my career, where I am and what I believe I can do, being a backup next year,” he said. “It’s just the bottom line. It’s nothing against the New York Giants, it’s nothing against the situation, the coaches, the organization. I love my year here. But I’m not content being a backup. I think...
                          -12-29-2004, 07:57 PM
                        Working...
                        X