NFL's Blackeye turning into cancerous tumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL's Blackeye turning into cancerous tumor

At the turn of the century a storm began to brew over the use of steroids in baseball. Homerun records shattered, players bulking up, the MLB finally getting back alot of the fans they lost after the strike. A shady world unraveled as some of the games best were called into question by congress. We watched a corporation protect it's own interst as they let players cheat and deceive the public as to their "natural" ability to play the game. It seems to me the league knew since the 80's that this was a growing issue. Bud Selig in my mind should have stepped down after his long tenure as an apology to the fans for not taking on this issue early.

Baseball will now forever be tarnished with the fact that people cheated and the league said keep it quiet the fans are filling the arenas to watch. As I watch Lance Berkman tear up the league I cant help but wonder if he's clean. When a-rod went on a tear last year I wondered if he was juicing. It is unfair to the players that are doing it clean to have that stigma attached to them. Unfortuantly they have no one to blame for this other then their peers and Commisioner Selig. A nasty secret always seems to surface sooner or later.

Is the NFL heading down the same path as baseball with all this internalizing of information? Are the fans owed something more then a push under the rug?
    It's a treacherous path the NFL is walking down.

2001 Belichick turned the Patriots around with a great coaching system. Tom brady had become unstoppable and was the golden boy of the NFL. This team came out of no where to capture the nfl title not once but 3 times in 4 years. We were all impressed with this team's offence and defence and their ability to always have enough to pull games out. I started to wonder myself if Tom Brady was the greatest clutch QB in the history of the NFL. Then STOP everything we have hit a wall. The leagues most hated team now had a real reason to be hated other then sour grapes. It seems they may have cheated.

The league says it feels Walsh did not provide any new information. He did provide video of how it was done though. A small sample of cheating. Lets really think about this. The Patriots said were sorry we wont do it again. The league said Punishment served???? It seems to me the league is afraid to take the proper steps here. Belichick should be banned for life end of story. He may have used video tapes of the other teams signals in every game until he got caught last season. How many of those last second field goals would have never happened had he not known what the Defense was doing as he drove for the lead? The Raiders might have been victim to more then just a bad call in foxbourough. The Steelers might have been the legtimate AFC champions in 2001. There is so many what If's now that are gonna haunt teams that lost to the Pats in big games. Teams that may have missed the playoffs by one game with a pats loss on their schedules. Teams that lost to last second field goals in the biggest game of the year. Yes I'm talking about the Rams and the Panthers. How about Mcnabb who was once again a bridesmaid after a great season where he lead his Eagles to the Super Bowl.

Belichick is saying now he did not know he was breaking a rule. If you were unaware you were beaking a rule then why try to cover it for so long? If you did nothing wrong why did you apologize a couple months back? He knows he cheated the league knows he cheated so suspension should be the only reasonable punishment. What he did was unexcusable. The league needs to take a hard stance on this. I find it to be quite hypocritical of the league to suspend players indefinatly for off field issues then smack the big dogs lightly on the hand for on field issues. Ricky Williams was suspended for smoking a little pott and hurting no one but himself. Belichick loses a 30th draft pick yet still has number seven from a trade? Belichick, a multi Millionaire, lost 250 grand alot of money for me and you but nothing to him but a minor annoyance. The league is in danger of coming across the same way baseball did with their big issue. They look soft. They look like they are protecting their own interest. The NFL has a commisioner who has taken a hard line on the rules and expectations of NFL employees. He has shown that he will not tolerate the nonsence that tarnishes the fine reputation of proffesional football. Well he did do these things until it was a Coach and prominent team owner that he would have to punish. Stope being a hypocrite Goodell!! Whats good for the players is good for the owners and coaches.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -05-16-2008, 10:30 AM.

Related Topics

Collapse

• RebelYell
    Spygate II
    by RebelYell
    Does Goodell want to know what Walsh has on tape?

By Ron Borges
    Feb. 26, 2008

Sounding not at all like Franklin D. Roosevelt, they all say they have nothing to fear but fear itself. If that’s the case, then why is it so difficult to agree not to sue a former low-level employee of the Patriots in exchange for taking a peek at his video collection and possibly listening to his audio collection?
    NFL commissioner Roger Goodell

Commissioner Roger Goodell kept saying for weeks that “no one wants to talk with Matt Walsh more than we do,” after which he sent a guy from NFL security — former FBI agent Dick Farley — to investigate him at his former places of employment. Way to open a guy up to a chat.

Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter has become more than an interested spectator in what has become the embarrassing mess called Spygate II, which might morph into Audiogate I, as well, if Walsh has any of the tape recordings of conversations between himself and Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli that Walsh has been accused of making. Specter was so interested in the matter that he forced Goodell to come to his office in Washington. The senator was told the commissioner knew Farley worked for him but claimed he didn’t know Farley was investigating anybody.

That admission came after Goodell had insisted that destroying the evidence in Spygate I before he’d even seen it wasn’t all that unusual. He sounded like he could move right into management with the LAPD.

Goodell has unwisely treated this as the NFL treats most things — as a public-relations problem. He says he acted swiftly when the first charges were leveled at Bill Belichick for cheating, although we now have learned he acted so swiftly he fined Belichick four days before the Patriots produced the notes and tapes he sought. How do you punish someone before you know what he did?

Then, it turns out, Goodell had his minions, including an attorney named Jeff Pash, who should have known better, destroy the evidence while they were in Foxborough, a move Goodell defends as “the right thing to do.” How is destroying evidence the right thing to do?

That action now calls into question the alleged “leaking” of a portion of one of those tapes to Fox-TV news maven Jay Glazer. At the time, Goodell was supposedly outraged, yet now we have learned that the tapes were destroyed by Pash and NFL vice president Ray Anderson while they were in Foxborough at the instruction of Goodell. What that means, if Goodell is to be believed, is that either the Patriots leaked it to make themselves look bad or Goodell’s office did it because if they destroyed the tapes in Foxborough, no one else would have ever had access to them.

No wonder Sen. Specter said of Goodell’s explanations, “The words ‘absurd’...
    -03-05-2008, 08:39 AM
  • Goldenfleece
    NFL Destroys All Evidence
    by Goldenfleece
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I saw this on ESPN's website:...
    -09-28-2007, 08:26 AM
  • moklerman
    Musings on the Patriots...
    by moklerman
    With the constant barrage of Patriots news on ESPN and NFL Network, I think I've identified why I don't have the same respect for them that so many others consider to be unquestionable.

Rams fans have all had to witness first-hand the "greatness", but even with cameragate, I never really bought into the Patriots' success being predominantly due to cheating.

This leads me to the importance of character. For me, character is one of the more important aspects of a team's overall make-up. The 1999 Rams exemplified that in almost every facet of the organization. Their onfield dominance was coupled with class, humility and an overall sense of reward for perseverance.

As important as character is, it has to be tempered with results. This is a big boy's game and it's naive to think that a team can have success, especially at the highest level, while being completely altruistic. Someone, somewhere, is doing the dirty work. But, does that justify winning at any cost? The Raiders and Forty-Niners were always examples of what I considered winning without honor. The Raiders were just dirty(IMO) but the 'Niners introduced someting new to the equation--exploitation.

I suppose it could be considered just another form of cheating but they essentially stacked the deck. They manipulated the system and went beyond the spirit and letter of the rules to load their rosters with the best talent. Some would site the addage of "if you're not cheating, you're not trying" but there is a very distinct fork in the road here for me. I equate it to playing Madden football. Some guys like to load their roster with all the best players or just enter a cheat code and increase the skill levels of all their players to 99 so they can "win".

This is where Bill Bellichick comes in. I think I've finally identified the crux of how they win and why I don't like it. I really couldn't care less about the Patriots in particular. I have no personal, long standing angst against them but I've never bought into their success. Something about it has always poked at the back of my brain, questioning how they do things. What dawned on me was exploitation. It's one of the reasons I could never fully get into the NBA. The hack-a-Shaq being a perfect example. Is it legal? Yes, completely. Is it what was intended when the rules were written? No. It's just exploiting the rulebook.

This is what, and who, the Patriots are to me. In 2001, they exploited the defensive aspects of the rulebook. So much so that the rules had to be re-written because they were exploiting what was written. Now, they've just done the same thing on the offensive side of the ball. I'm sure BB is pissed at the league for restricting or eliminating his ability to exploit the rulebook so he just finds new ways to do it. He designs a team that can take full advantage of the check rule(touching...
    -11-21-2007, 07:45 AM
  • MauiRam
    Rams fans are owed an explanation from NFL
    by MauiRam
    Rams fans are owed an explanation from NFL
    By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    02/18/2008

At the Red-Eye Grill in New Orleans a few nights before Super Bowl XXXVI, an animated football fan cornered your cyber-correspondent with a startling claim.

The fix was in. The Patriots, massive underdogs to the Rams, were going to win the big game. His presentation went on for a LONG time; he believed, passionately, that a high percentage of American sporting events are scripted.

And he was sure this game was on the list.

After the Patriots won that game, the fan was back at the Red-Eye for late-night cocktails. He shrugged off praise for his bold prediction.

To Conspiracy Guy, it was cut and dried: The NFL decided the Patriots should win the game, so they did.

So now we fast-forward to 2008 and new questions about the integrity of league competition. A former Patriots video assistant, Matt Walsh, has told folks he has information that could damage the Patriots. Allegedly, he taped the Rams’ “walk-through” practice before the game.

Hmmmmm . . .

I still maintain the Rams can only blame themselves for losing to the Patriots. Coach Mike Martz should have adjusted his game plan sooner than he did, since New England dropped six and seven defensive backs into coverage. Why not let Marshall Faulk run the ball again and again and again?

Dropped passes hurt the Rams, as did Kurt Warner’s disastrous interception for a TD and Ricky Proehl’s untimely fumble. At some point, the Rams could have stopped New England’s final drive with the game tied 17-17.

And if this game was fixed, as Conspiracy Guy claimed, then I’d point to the game officials. They allowed the Patriots to manhandle Rams receivers while they attempted to run routes. These muggings prompted changes in how officials implement the rules.

“Again, they had a great game plan,” Warner told ESPN.com. “Coach (Bill) Belichick has been known for that. They executed it very well. And I think you look back from our side and say, 'Well, we had played them once [that] year. They had a good feel for what we were doing and how to stop us. I go back and look at that game and say, 'The approach they took with us is that we're going to beat them up and beat them up and beat them up until the officials make a call.' And I think they went in with a premise that in a Super Bowl, the officials don't want to dictate the course of action. So they're going to be slow to throw flags, especially a bunch of flags.”

Fair enough, I suppose. But did the Patriots cheat? Were they sitting on Rams plays because they knew what was coming?

I doubt it, but this isn’t an outrageous concept. Another Patriots staffer got caught videotaping the New York Jets defensive signals from the sideline during New England's...
    -02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
  • BEER
    Walsh and the truth!
    by BEER
    Posted: 5 hours 26 minutes ago Walsh talks about videotaping scandal, Belichick

Associated Press
    NEW YORK -- Former New England video assistant Matt Walsh dismissed Patriots coach Bill Belichick's attempts to minimize the impact of the team's illegal taping of opponents' coaching signals.
    " ... it was something that they continued to have me do throughout the two years I worked in video, under Coach Belichick," Walsh told HBO's Andrea Kremer in an interview scheduled to air Friday night on "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel."
    Commissioner meets with Walsh

» Carucci: Probe would be overkill
    » George: Anticlimactic end to scandal
    » Specter wants further investigation into Pats
    » Meeting uncovers no new violations
    » Newspaper apologizes for 'walkthrough' story
    » Transcript of Goodell's press conference
    » Timeline of videotaping scandal
    » Video: Faulk reacts to Specter
    » Video: Goodell's news conference
    » Video: Goodell on Walsh tapes
    » Video: 'No further sanctions'
    » Video: Analyzing the Walsh tapes
    » Video: Recap of Goodell's visit with Walsh

"If it was of little or no importance, I imagine they wouldn't have continued to do it, and probably not taken the chances of going down onto the field in Pittsburgh or shooting from other teams' stadiums the way we did."
    The videotape investigation began after the NFL confiscated tapes from a team employee who recorded the New York Jets' defensive signals during the 2007 opener. Belichick was fined $500,000, while the team was fined $250,000 and forced to forfeit its 2008 first-round draft choice.
    NFL commissioner Roger Goodell essentially declared an end to the case after a 3 1/2-hour meeting Tuesday with Walsh, who supplied the league with tapes of coaches' signals made by the Patriots. After meeting with Walsh later Tuesday, Sen. Arlen Specter called Wednesday for an independent investigation. The senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Specter criticized Goodell, saying he has made "ridiculous" assertions that wouldn't fly "in kindergarten."
    Walsh told HBO that his superiors coached him on how to evade NFL rules limiting the number of camera operators per team to two, and that team officials instructed him on ways to avoid detection.
    "The line of reasoning that we would give to other teams for why we need a third camera setup was, `Well, our coaches want to have a tight shot of the kicker and the holder ... exchange just to go over with the guys in meetings. You know, they want a tight shot, you know, of the quarterback, you know, just to go over the quarterback's footwork and mechanics in meetings,"' said Walsh, who mentioned Patriots video coordinator Jimmy Dee as one of the superiors who coached him.
    "If I...
    -05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Working...
X