No announcement yet.

Steroids dealer found dead at North Texas home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steroids dealer found dead at North Texas home

    Steroids dealer found dead at North Texas home

    By SCHUYLER DIXON, Associated Press Writer

    PLANO, Texas (AP)—A convicted steroids dealer who recently met with NFL security officials and gave them names of players he said bought steroids from him was found shot to death in his home Thursday, police said.

    Early Thursday morning, Plano police made a welfare check and found 35-year-old David Jacobs and 30-year-old Amanda Jo Earhart-Savell dead. Police said both had been shot to death.

    Police spokesman Rick McDonald said the officers were making a welfare check after relatives of Earhart-Savell expressed concern about her whereabouts.

    Plano detectives aren’t releasing information about whether the deaths were a double homicide or a murder-suicide, whether a weapon was found near the bodies, or any other details, McDonald said.

    Jacobs was sentenced to three years probation and fined $25,000 on May 1 after pleading guilty last year in federal court in Dallas to conspiring to possess with intent to distribute anabolic steroids.

    Hank Hockeimer, Jacobs’ attorney, has told The Dallas Morning News that Jacobs then met with NFL security officials in the Dallas area on May 21 and gave them names of players he said bought steroids from him. Hockeimer didn’t immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press on Thursday.

    Hockeimer has declined to publicly say which players bought steroids from Jacobs. But Jacobs had publicly said he sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of performance-enhancing drugs to former Dallas Cowboys player Matt Lehr in 2006 and 2007. Lehr has also played for Tampa Bay and Atlanta.

    Lehr’s attorney, Paul Coggins, has said the player hasn’t used banned substances since he was suspended for four games during the 2006 season while playing for Atlanta, and has since passed NFL drug tests. The attorney has also said Jacobs’ allegations were retaliation because Lehr wouldn’t pay Jacobs’ legal fees.

    NFL spokesman Greg Aiello offered condolences to the families of Jacobs and Earhart-Savell and said the league was reviewing information provided by Jacobs in two interviews with security officials.

    “It is premature to comment on any specific player at this time,” Aiello said in a statement. “Anyone found to have violated our policies will be subject to discipline, including suspension.”

    Neighbors who were still gathered at the scene about 12 hours after officers arrived said they became aware of Jacobs through television news reports, but didn’t know him well. They said they didn’t see any suspicious activity or hear any gunshots.

    One neighbor who reached out to Jacobs after his guilty plea by asking him to warn children about the dangers of drugs said she didn’t believe police when they told her he was dead.

    “Knowing somebody died this way, it’s hard to take,” Yeharerwerk Gashaw said. “I was shocked.”

    Associated Press writers Jamie Stengle and Terry Wallace in Dallas contributed to this report.

Related Topics


  • San Diego Ram
    Police officer, who delayed Texans' Moats as relative died, placed on leave
    by San Diego Ram
    DALLAS -- A police officer was placed on administrative leave Thursday after pulling over an NFL player who was rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drawing his gun, threatening the player with jail and holding him in the hospital parking lot as the woman died.
    Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle apologized to the family of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats over the March 18 incident and announced that Officer Robert Powell would be on paid leave pending an internal investigation.
    When we at the command staff reviewed the tape, we were embarrassed, disappointed," Kunkle said. "It's hard to find the right word and still be professional in my role as the police chief. But the behavior was not appropriate."
    Police officials said Powell told his commanders he believed he was doing his job and that he drew his gun but didn't point it. Kunkle said Powell wasn't necessarily acting improperly when he pulled out his weapon, but that once he realized what was happening, he should have put the gun back, apologized and offered to help the family in any way.
    "His behavior, in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, the discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit," Kunkle said.
    Moats' wife, who was in the car along with other relatives, said Powell pointed his weapon at her.
    "He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News.
    The Moats family didn't immediately return messages left by The Associated Press. Powell didn't respond to requests for comment through the Dallas police union.
    Powell, a three-year member of the Dallas police force, stopped Moats outside Baylor Regional Medical Center after Moats rolled his sport-utility vehicle through a red light. Video from a dashboard camera inside the officer's vehicle, obtained by Dallas-Fort Worth station WFAA-TV, revealed an intense exchange in which Powell threatened to jail Moats.
    Powell ordered Tamishia Moats to get back in the SUV, but after pausing for a few seconds, she and another woman rushed into the hospital. Tamishia Moats was by the side of her mother, 45-year-old Jonetta Collinsworth, when she died a short time later from breast cancer.
    "Get in there," said Powell, yelling at 27-year-old Tamishia Moats, as she exited the vehicle. "Let me see your hands!"
    "Excuse me, my mom is dying," Tamishia Moats said. "Do you understand?"
    Ryan Moats explained that he waited until there was no traffic before proceeding through the red light. When Powell asked for proof of insurance, Moats grew more agitated and told the officer to go find it.
    "My mother-in-law is dying! Right now! You're wasting my time!" Moats yelled. "I don't understand why you can't understand that."
    As he argued with Moats, the officer grew irritated. "Shut your mouth,"...
    -03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
  • ramsanddodgers
    Man in jail after sex romp in kilt
    by ramsanddodgers
    My first thought was we might need to take up donations for BRM's bail....

    Man in jail after sex romp in kilt
    The Associated Press

    FARGO, N.D. --A man was arrested on sex charges after an early morning escapade while wearing a kilt.

    Police say Nathan Blair, 24, of Moorhead, Minn., was wearing a black kilt when he exposed himself to motorists near a busy street and had sex with a woman in the backyard of a house.

    "In 17 years in this job I've seen a lot of different things. This is a new one," Fargo Police Lt. Pat Claus said Friday.

    Claus said Blair and a 20-year-old woman were arrested about 3:30 a.m. Friday after police found them having sex behind a home. The couple first ignored orders to "cease and desist," and then refused to cover up, Claus said.

    Both of them had been drinking, Claus said.

    "We've caught people engaging in amorous behavior before, but usually they stop when we ask them to," Claus said.

    Blair was still wearing a kilt and "FOR SALE" T-shirt when he appeared by video in court Friday morning. He pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of fornication in a public place and indecent exposure.

    Blair's lawyer, Tanya Johnson Martinez, said she was still gathering information on the case.

    "We haven't seen any of the police reports yet so it would be premature for me to comment," she said.

    The woman had not been formally charged.

    Police received two complaints about a man exposing himself near one of Fargo's main thoroughfares. One of the complaints involved a sex act, police said.

    While investigating the incident, a friend of the couple directed police to the backyard of the home, Claus said.
    -07-27-2007, 07:52 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Texas Tech safety to play despite alleged probation violation
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 24, 2005
    CBS wire reports

    LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech starting safety Vincent Meeks could face up to two years in jail and a $10,000 fine after he allegedly violated his probation on a forgery charge.


    Meeks' legal entanglement will not keep him from playing for the Red Raiders, Tech coach Mike Leach said.

    "Vincent made some bad decisions on his part and was also a victim of some bad circumstances created by other people," Leach said in Wednesday's editions of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "Team-wise, he's fine."

    Meeks, a senior, has made 27 career starts since he cracked the lineup in the ninth game of his freshman season.

    He is accused of violating terms of his three-year probation on a charge of forgery of a financial instrument, Rockwall County District Attorney Ray Sumrow said Wednesday. Meeks failed to report to a probation officer for several months, didn't pay court costs and failed to complete community service and other programs, Sumrow said.

    Meeks was accused of trying to cash a $475 illegal computer-generated check in 2003 that was made out to him, Sumrow said. He pleaded guilty but was not convicted because the court gave him deferred adjudication, Sumrow said. If he had completed his probation without any incidents, the charge would have been removed from his record.

    Meeks surrendered himself Tuesday on an arrest warrant issued Aug. 9 and was arraigned and arrested on the same forgery charge. He was released from the Rockwall County Jail late Tuesday after posting $10,000 bond.

    If the court revokes his probation at a hearing not yet scheduled, Meeks could be sentenced to two years in jail and fined $10,000, Sumrow said. The judge also could sentence him to probation.

    "I believe that Vincent will live his probation out if he's allowed to do that," said Meeks' attorney, Patrick Short. "If given the opportunity, I believe he will comply."

    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-24-2005, 07:04 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Texas suspends reserve RB after drug arrest
    by DJRamFan
    Dec. 21, 2004 wire reports

    AUSTIN -- Texas reserve running back Erik Hardeman, who had not played this season because of academic problems, has been suspended indefinitely from the team after a felony arrest on a drug charge.


    Police say they found about 20 grams of cocaine in a car Hardeman was riding in last week.

    According to Austin police, Hardeman was charged with felony possession of a controlled substance on Dec. 14 and a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge after the car was pulled over on a traffic stop.

    The second degree felony charge carries a penalty of two to 20 years in prison.

    Through a spokesman, coach Mack Brown said Hardeman was suspended indefinitely "pending the outcome of the legal process." Hardeman had not been scheduled to travel with the No. 6 Longhorns for their Rose Bowl matchup with No. 13 Michigan on Jan. 1.

    The arrest affidavit on the felony charge was not immediately available at the Travis County clerk's office. But according to the arrest affidavit filed on the misdemeanor, police smelled marijuana in the car and found less than an ounce on Hardeman. They also said they found "several baggies" full of white powder on the floorboard of the rear passenger seat where Hardeman was riding.

    Police said tests showed the powder was cocaine.

    Police also said Hardeman, 19, was carrying $3,774 in cash. He was arrested and released after posting bail of $15,000 on the felony charge and $500 on the misdemeanor.

    Court records on the misdemeanor charge showed Hardeman requested a court-appointed attorney but one had not been provided by Monday afternoon.

    Two other men in the car, passenger Christopher Felkner and driver David Manuel Childress, also were arrested and have since been released from jail.

    Hardeman is a redshirt freshman from Pflugerville who signed with Texas in 2003. He was allowed to practice this season but was not academically eligible to play. Hardeman had not worked out with the Longhorns for several weeks, said team spokesman John Bianco.

    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -12-21-2004, 10:21 AM
  • DJRamFan
    BYU players charged with aggravated sexual assault
    by DJRamFan
    Dec. 3, 2004 wire reports

    SALT LAKE CITY -- Four Brigham Young University football players were indicted Friday on charges of raping a 17-year-old girl at a party last summer.


    Two other players were suspended from the team -- one for lying to police and the other for dealing harmful material to a minor.

    The girl told police she and a cousin met the football players at a Provo mall and then rejoined them at an off-campus apartment, where they had drinks and watched a pornographic movie. She told police she passed out on a bed and awoke as the alleged assaults began.

    Utah County prosecutors identified the four charged with aggravated sexual assault as William Terrell Smitty Turner Jr., Karland Brushay Bennett, Ibrahim Amir Rashada and Bryson Anthony Jerrell "B.J." Mathis.

    They already had been expelled from the school, owned and run by the Mormon church, for violating its honor code.

    Antwaun Harris was charged with providing false statements to police, and Billy Skinner was charged with dealing harmful material to a minor. Both were suspended from the team until the charges against them are resolved.

    Utah County Attorney Kay Bryson said the four players were indicted by a grand jury to spare the girl from having to testify at a preliminary hearing, where a judge tests charges filed by prosecutors. Indictments would go straight to a trial judge.

    It was unclear whether any of the six had lawyers.

    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -12-04-2004, 02:00 PM