Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billick: 'It's a mild sprain'

Billick: 'It's a mild sprain'

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- For a while Thursday night, Brian Billick experienced every coach's nightmare: an injury to a star in the meaningless last exhibition game.

In this case, it was All-Pro left tackle Jonathan Ogden, who sprained his left knee late in the first period of the Baltimore Ravens' 27-17 win over the New York Giants. He was able to get to his feet, but had to be helped from the field with his arms around two trainers.

It turned out to be what Billick described as "a mild sprain."

"I think J.O. is fine," he said, adding later that he didn't know if the 6-foot-9, 345-pounder would even have to undergo further examinations.

"The doctors who worked it around said there didn't seem to be any real damage," Billick added.

But for a while, Billick conceded, he feared the worst, until coaches who watched the replay of the injury in the press box said they were optimistic. They could see that Ogden's leg wasn't planted in the turf and turned, the way most serious knee injuries occur.

"It's very scary," Billick said. "Your heart just sinks. You pray it will come out all right. The object of this final game is to fine-tune and not to get anybody seriously hurt. As it turned out, we played well, and we came out all right on the injury side, too. But even with what the guys upstairs said, I was still worried until I heard from the doctors."

Ogden was hurt on a sweep to the left side by Chester Taylor. He was lying on the ground when players from both teams fell over him as his leg was in the air.

His importance to the Ravens was never more evident than last season, when Ogden was the leader of an offensive line that cleared the way for Jamal Lewis to rush for 2,066 yards, second-best total in NFL history. A majority of the runs were to the left side behind Ogden, who has made the Pro Bowl in seven of his eight seasons and is perhaps the best lineman in the league.

"It was very scary," echoed quarterback Kyle Boller, one of several Ravens who hurried to Ogden's side when he was hurt. "I got over there right away to see if he was all right. He's a great offensive lineman and we need to have him out there."

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Maddox mum about extent of injury
    by Nick
    Maddox mum about extent of injury
    Starter's injury puts rookie Roethlisberger in difficult spot, but sympathetic teammates offer their unconditional support
    Monday, September 20, 2004
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BALTIMORE -- Tommy Maddox was able to use his right arm after the game yesterday, but it was for a much different reason: To wave off a question about his injury.

As he left M&T Bank Stadium, his throwing arm cradled to his chest in a black sling, Maddox said he was told not to discuss his condition until he and the Steelers are certain of the damage in his right elbow.

This much is certain: Maddox's injury is serious enough that he will miss what coach Bill Cowher called "an extended period of time" with a strained or torn muscle in his elbow.

The injury occurred near the start of the third quarter of the Steelers' 30-13 loss to the Baltimore Ravens and moved Ben Roethlisberger, the team's No. 1 draft choice, into the role of starting quarterback.

Maddox likely will have a magnetic resonance imaging test today to determine the severity of the injury. But, listening to Maddox's teammates, the prognosis doesn't appear good.

"You could see it on replay. It did not look good," said wide receiver Antwaan Randle El. "I pray for him. That's a tough injury right there. And not just football, that's a Tommy John [injury] or whatever. That ain't what you want."

"It's frustrating," said Hines Ward, who had six catches for 151 yards and a touchdown. "Tommy is such a competitor. But I'm sure he'll be our coach on the sideline. He's a true team player. He'll do everything he can to get Ben right."

The Steelers have not been having much luck with quarterbacks this season. They lost backup Charlie Batch for the season when his knee was injured the first week of training camp, requiring surgery.

That injury allowed Roethlisberger, the 11th overall pick in the draft, to become the No. 2 quarterback.

Now Maddox could be out for a lengthy period, perhaps the season, after a play in which his arm was hit by Ravens cornerback Gary Baxter as Maddox attempted to throw a pass. Maddox immediately grabbed his right arm as he fell to the ground.

The hit knocked the ball from Maddox's grasp, and Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs returned the fumble 24 yards to the Steelers' 1. One play later, Jamal Lewis scored on a 1-yard run and the Ravens had a 20-0 lead.

"He tried to get it off real quick, and the guy kind of hit the ball while it was still in his hands," Randle El said. "Anytime you lose your No. 1 guys, it's tough. And it's tough when the next guy is a rookie.

"But Ben's not sitting out there like a deer in the headlights. He's confident. And that's what we need. As...
    -09-20-2004, 10:51 AM
  • Nick
    Ravens angered over Porter's 'cheap shot'
    by Nick
    BALTIMORE - The Baltimore Ravens won't soon forget the hit Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter leveled on an injured tight end Todd Heap during the second quarter of Sunday's 30-13 rout of the Steelers.

Heap twisted his right ankle on the previous play when he gingerly took his place on the line as Ravens quarterback Kyle Boller prepared to spike the ball. As Boller thrust the ball downward, Porter shoved Heap backward with a show of brute force.

Heap could barely lift himself off the turf and was removed for the remainder of the game.

Afterward, the Ravens were livid over Porter's seemingly unnecessary hit.

``It just shows what type of character that guy has,'' linebacker Ray Lewis said. ``When you take a cheap shot like that and just try to hurt somebody, it goes way outside of your character and shows what type of spirit he really has. You just pray for him.''

Ravens cornerback Chris McAlister called Porter an unprintable name and said, ``There's no reason for anyone to take a cheap shot like that.''

Baltimore coach Brian Billick wondered aloud why the rules would permit such an unsportsmanlike act.

``We are awful concerned about receivers turning their shoulders, going forward on the line of scrimmage, and we talk endlessly about pass interference down the field, but something like that is evidently legal,'' Billick said. ``How about that?''

Porter contended Heap might have been bluffling.

``It looked like he was hobbling, but at the same time, I don't know if he was fake hobbling,'' Porter said. ``I've seen a lot of guys that looked hurt and kept playing. They fall on the ground and get up and run a play.

``I didn't hit him, I pushed him. It's not like I took a cheap shot at him and ran in there and hit him. I pushed him with my hands. This is football.''

Porter figured the Ravens expressed their displeasure on the field as a way of getting the fans riled up.

``It's just a thing to get the crowd into it, to boo me and make me out to be the bad guy,'' he said. ``So I'm fine with that.''
    -09-20-2004, 10:50 AM
  • Bruce=GOAT
    Ogden doesn't announce retirement, but it seems like he's done
    by Bruce=GOAT
    Ogden doesn't announce retirement, but it seems like he's done
    December 30, 2007

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Jonathan Ogden didn't say Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers was the final one of his career. He merely acted that way.

After the victory over Pittsburgh, the 11-time Pro Bowler brought his family out on the field to share one enduring memory in the event he never suits up again.

"I just made sure that if this was my last game I got a chance to bring my son down on the field, get a picture on the field with him just in case, so he'll have something to remember," Ogden said. "I was glad I was able to do that."

Ogden, 33, was the very first draft pick of the Ravens after they moved from Cleveland before the 1996 season. He became a starter as a rookie and except for injury, has been a fixture at left tackle.

When asked what he was thinking during the game, Ogden replied that he couldn't help but gaze around the stadium during a stoppage in play.

"I was thinking this might be the last time looking around, kind of enjoy it. I might have been smiling a little more than normal on the field," he said. "It's been a pleasure playing for this city, this team, these fans. This city and me, we've grown together with this team. So I'm just grateful to have been a part of "
    -12-30-2007, 08:32 PM
  • TekeRam
    Billick fired by Ravens... OC?
    by TekeRam
    OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Brian Billick was fired as coach of the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, less than a day after his team concluded a disappointing 5-11 season.
    Players were told of the dismissal as they packed up their lockers at the team's practice facility.
    Billick won the 2001 Super Bowl in his second season with the Ravens, and led the team to a franchise-best 13-3 record in 2006. But Baltimore lost a team-record nine consecutive games this season before ending the skid Sunday with a 27-21 win over Pittsburgh.
    "This is the reality of our business," cornerback Samari Rolle said.
    Billick's nine seasons with Baltimore was tied for third with Philadelphia's Andy Reid as the third-longest current run with the same team. He took the Ravens to the playoffs in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2006, but Baltimore won only one postseason game since its Super Bowl run after the 2000 season.
    "Sometimes the message can get repetitive after a while," 12-year offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden said.
    Ogden said this month that Billick had informed the team he would be returning in 2008. But owner Steve Bisciotti evidently changed his mind.
    The Ravens expected to compete for a world championship this season after bringing back almost every starter from last year's AFC North champions. But injuries and a turnover-prone offense contributed to a complete collapse after a 4-2 start, and Baltimore finished last in the division.
    "This year the injury bug not only hit us, (it) hit our prime-time players," linebacker Bart Scott said.
    Billick, 53, was hired as Baltimore's second head coach in January 1999, succeeding Ted Marchibroda. In Billick's first season, the Ravens reached .500 (8-8) for the first time. Then he led Baltimore to a 12-4 record and a berth in the Super Bowl, where the Ravens beat the New York Giants 34-7.
    Billick was 80-64 as Baltimore's coach. He was the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings before being coming to the Ravens.
    "I'm not saying I agree with it," kicker Matt Stover said of Billick's dismissal, "but sometimes things have to change."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian Billick... well, he hasn't shown much of an offensive side in Baltimore, but that's not the team he's ever had there. He's always had a defensive powerhouse that would grind away clock in the run game. However, he was the Minnesota offensive coordinator before that, until 1998, which I believe was the NFL's highest scoring team previous to the Pats this season. At the very least, he comes with loads of experience and could quite probably help out our run game and hopefully return to us a bit of our passing game.
    -12-31-2007, 04:07 PM
  • Nick
    Carson Palmer's career in danger?
    by Nick
    Doctor calls Palmer's injury 'devastating'

NFL.com wire reports

CINCINNATI (Jan. 12, 2006) -- Carson Palmer 's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said.

The Cincinnati Bengals quarterback tore ligaments in his left knee when he was hit by Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen on his first pass during the Steelers' 31-17 playoff victory.

The team announced that he had torn the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. The damage was much more extensive and severe, but Dr. Lonnie Paulos said surgery went well and Palmer could be back for the start of the season.

Palmer had surgery Jan. 10 in Houston. Doctors used grafts from other parts of his body and donated tissue to fix the damage during an operation that lasted more than two hours. Palmer headed back to California on Jan. 12 to do his rehabilitation.

"It's not just like it was a torn ACL," Paulos said in a phone interview from Houston. "It's a magnitude more difficult to recover from and repair. It can and has ended careers, without a doubt.

"However, I feel very comfortable with Carson as an athlete and the heart that he's got. In the end, that's the bottom line. I can see the look in his eye already. He's ready to get going."

Paulos, an orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the U.S. Ski Team since 1983, replaced the anterior cruciate ligament, which runs through the middle of the knee and provides stability. He said the medial collateral ligament, which runs along the side of the knee, was damaged "real bad."

"On a scale of 1 to 3, it was a 4," he said. "It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged -- shredded is the better term."

The kneecap dislocated when Palmer was hit, damaging tissue around it. There also was some cartilage damage, he said.

Paulos was able to repair the knee without removing pieces of cartilage or soft tissue, a good sign.

"The things that were torn could be repaired," he said. "They were not torn beyond repair. So he's got all his parts in there, which is good. We're optimistic, actually."

If rehabilitation goes well, Palmer could be running in a couple of months and might be able to play in the first regular season game, Paulos said. The 2006 schedule hasn't been set.

Palmer has worn a protective brace on the left knee since he sprained it near the end of the 2004 season. The knee bowed inward on von Oelhoffen's hit even though Palmer was wearing the brace,

"The brace didn't function well in this environment and should have done better than it did, frankly," Paulos said.

The plan...
    -01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Working...
X