X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owens, McNabb shine in Eagles win over Giants

Owens, McNabb shine in Eagles win over Giants
    NFL.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA (Sept. 12, 2004) -- Terrell Owens flexed his muscles, flapped his arms and took his bows.

Owens had three touchdown catches, Donovan McNabb threw for 330 yards and tied a career high with four TD passes and Brian Westbrook ran for 119 yards, leading the Philadelphia Eagles over the New York Giants 31-17 on Sunday.

The Eagles, runners-up in the NFC championship the last three years, won their season opener for just the second time in coach Andy Reid's six seasons.

Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner had a lackluster debut for the Giants, who lost their ninth straight game and first under new coach Tom Coughlin. Heralded rookie Eli Manning made his NFL debut in the final minutes, handing off to Tiki Barber for a 72-yard TD run on his first play.

Owens, playing his first game with the Eagles after eight sometimes-controversial seasons in San Francisco, made an immediate impact, scoring on his first two receptions in the first quarter.

The four-time Pro Bowl receiver, known for his flamboyant TD celebrations, kept it low key. He stood in the end zone and flexed his right arm while cradling the ball in his left arm after his first score. He flapped his arms after the last one, then took a few bows on the sideline while fans chanted, "T.O."

Owens, acquired in a three-team trade with the ***** and Baltimore in March, finished with eight catches for 68 yards, including TDs of 20, 3 and 12 yards. McNabb completed 26 of 36 passes and had no interceptions.

After the Giants took a 7-0 lead on Ron Dayne's 3-yard run early in the first quarter, the Eagles came right back.

Westbrook ran 50 yards to New York's 21. Two plays later, McNabb dropped back, pump-faked and lofted a pass into the right corner over cornerback Will Allen and safety Shaun Williams into Owens' hands.

McNabb's 3-yard TD pass to Owens made it 14-7. The play was vintage McNabb.

He was chased out of the pocket by Michael Strahan, scrambled toward the right sideline, stutter-stepped near the 10, kept rolling and threw across his body just before stepping out of bounds.

A 53-yard pass from McNabb to Todd Pinkston on a third-and-10 put the Eagles at New York's 3, setting up the score.

L.J. Smith made a tumbling catch in the right corner of the end zone on a 14-yard pass from McNabb to give the Eagles a 21-7 lead in the second quarter.

McNabb and Owens connected on a 12-yarder, giving Philadelphia a 31-10 lead in the third quarter.

Warner, who led St. Louis to a Super Bowl victory in 1999, has lost his last nine starts, including to the New England Patriots in the 2001 Super Bowl.

Released by the Rams in June after losing his job to Marc Bulger, Warner is keeping the position warm for Manning. Warner finished 16-of-28 for 203 yards and was sacked four times. Barber had 125 yards rushing on nine carries. Manning was 3-of-9 for 66 yards, and fumbled after being hit hard on the final play.

The victory was costly for the Eagles. Rookie offensive guard Shawn Andrews, the 16th overall pick in the draft, broke his leg. Philadelphia already lost defensive end N.D. Kalu and running back Correll Buckhalter to season-ending injuries in the preseason.

The Giants were 4-4 at the midpoint last year, before losing their last eight games, costing coach Jim Fassel his job.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Owens skips minicamp and McNabb has something to say
    by Nick
    Owens skips minicamp; McNabb responds to criticism
    By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
    April 29, 2005

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- With Terrell Owens absent, Donovan McNabb didn't miss his target.

While Owens skipped Philadelphia's first mandatory minicamp practice on Friday, McNabb responded sternly to the All-Pro wide receiver's stinging comments about the quarterback's performance in the Eagles' 24-21 loss to New England in the Super Bowl.

``I don't play games in the media,'' McNabb said. ``I'm not going to sit here and try to have a war of words. I'm a man at what I do. If there's a problem with anyone, and they feel the need to lash out, they know how to get in touch with me and we can handle it like men.''

Owens -- who is holding out, presumably because he wants a new contract -- took a verbal shot at McNabb in an interview earlier this month. Some Eagles said McNabb was so ill in the fourth quarter against the Patriots that he couldn't call one play in the huddle.

``I played every snap they allowed me to play,'' Owens told ESPN.com. ``I wasn't even running until, like, two weeks before the game. But I made sure I was in the best shape possible. I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl.''

McNabb, who made a recruiting pitch to get Owens to Philadelphia before last season, insisted he wasn't tired or sick in the final minutes against New England, though it appeared at one point he was either coughing or struggling to catch his breath.

``If you say I was winded, if you say the (offensive) line was winded, if you say the defense was winded, that's fine,'' McNabb said. ``But to be tired and dropping to a knee, that didn't happen.''

Without mentioning Owens, McNabb had strong advice for his most loquacious teammate.

``Just keep my name out of your mouth,'' McNabb said. ``Don't try to throw names or guys under the bus to better yourself. You never heard me say any names in any situation. You never heard me talk about any given players. I'm the guy to be professional and be a man about things.''

McNabb said he hasn't spoken to Owens since hearing the inflammatory comments.

``If a comment was made about me, it would take that person to call me,'' he said. ``I don't have to reach out to anyone.''

The soap opera atmosphere surrounding the NFC champions is a stunning turnaround from the calm environment the Eagles are used to. Contract disputes also kept Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook and defensive tackle Corey Simon at home, and wideout Freddie Mitchell wasn't welcome at camp.

``I told him I did not want him here,'' Eagles coach Andy Reid said of Mitchell, the former first-round pick who has talked himself out of town by constantly griping about his role in the offense.

Owens' holdout could extend deep into training...
    -04-29-2005, 03:48 PM
  • txramsfan
    Philadelphia no shoo in
    by txramsfan
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...olds061404.htm

An ominous omen for a season with all the potential to fulfill promises, or an excuse for frantic Eagles fans to fret?

Whether or not the sore right shoulder of Donovan McNabb proves to be a serious injury, the Eagles are hopeful McNabb can carry their offense in 2004. And after three consecutive failed attempts to journey beyond the NFC title game, the Eagles know any trip to Jacksonville is contingent on McNabb’s health.

Andy Reid says he’s not worried. Even after a pair of organized team activities in which Jeff Blake was the team’s No. 1 quarterback (No. 2 QB Koy Detmer recently underwent knee surgery), Reid believes nothing that happens in June can hinder the team in January. Always spinning positives, Reid told the media the injuries to the top two quarterbacks allowed them to get Blake the prescribed number of reps.

Sure, there is a lot of white space on the calendar between today and July 30, when veterans report to Eagles training camp, and we’re a full three months clear of the Eagles-Giants season opener. But the pressure of three failed bids to win the NFC title continues to build. If the Eagles’ window of opportunity is to remain open, Philadelphia has to show its fans the promised land.

The Eagles have broken from their usual financial strategy of spending only on their own emerging, under-30 stars in the offseason. The additions of impact free-agent talent that includes DE Jevon Kearse and WR Terrell Owens cost the Eagles $26.3 million up front, two players who haven’t played a full season in either of their last two. But their impact could be profound, and it must be for the Eagles to realize their Super Bowl dreams in Jacksonville. Owens’ presence should benefit the offense twofold. Obviously, he gives the Eagles a much-needed No. 1 target. With Todd Pinkston and James Thrash serving as McNabb’s top options in years past, Owens is a major upgrade. With Champ Bailey out of the division, McNabb should never enter a Tuesday film session fretting over a divisional matchup with Bailey. The best corner in the division is probably second-year Cowboys LCB Terence Newman unless Will Peterson comes back at 100 percent for the Giants.

Without the aid of an elite cornerback, every division foe should be expected to provide help in the form of a free safety or extra defensive back. Banking on steady double-teams on Owens is a major reason the Eagles are so amped about their running game. With a tremendous line of run blockers, expect breakout seasons from Correll Buckhalter and Brian Westbrook. Buckhalter has the build of an every-down back without being considered an upper-echelon runner. Reid and offensive coordinator Brad Childress plan to continue a rotation at the position, using scatback Westbrook as a change-of-pace back and do-it-all type. Reno Mahe...
    -06-18-2004, 08:52 AM
  • Nick
    Reid gives Owens a reprieve
    by Nick
    Reid gives Owens a reprieve
    Tuesday, October 26, 2004
    Coach takes lighter view of celebration
    By CHUCK GORMLEY
    Courier-Post Staff
    PHILADELPHIA

Terrell Owens has been given a reprieve, for now.

Following the Eagles' 34-31 overtime victory against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, Eagles coach Andy Reid said he was not particularly thrilled with his most demonstrative wide receiver following his second touchdown catch of the afternoon.

After that catch, his eighth touchdown reception of the season, Owens tore down an end zone banner that pictured Owens and a rat with the message: "It Takes One To Know One."

The Eagles were assessed a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct on the play and Reid had a few words with Owens on the sideline.

Reid admitted Monday he did not see Owens tear down the sign, then softened his stance on the outspoken wideout.

"He's an emotional guy and he loves to play the game," Reid said. "I love that part of him. I think players feed off that. He's just got to be careful on what he does. I didn't see him rip down the sign. I've seen it since (on TV) but, heck, that wasn't a very good sign anyway."

Owens celebrated his first touchdown catch of the day by throwing the football at another sign directed at him by the Cleveland fans: "T.O. has B.O."

"Those are nothing compared to the ones hung here at the Vet when I first started," Reid said. "That was a mild one."

Mild was no way to describe Sunday's finish.

After winning their first five games of the season by double digits, the Eagles needed a 50-yarder by kicker David Akers to pull out Sunday's win, their first overtime victory since they beat the Steelers 26-23 on Nov. 12, 2000. Prior to Sunday, they had lost their last three overtime games.

"You're going to have highs and you're going to have lows," Reid said. "We can all be excited during the highs, but those lows, they test you. They make you stronger. I was glad we hung together and did some good thing. I haven't seen that side of this team. I liked what I saw."

Unbeaten and unwavered: It's been 23 years since the Eagles last started a season 6-0. But just because they and the New England Patriots are the only teams unbeaten in the NFL, you won't find Reid strutting around like Mick Jagger.

"As a coach, you've got to set that tempo," Reid said. "If you change during winning periods and walk around with your chest out, I think players will follow you. If you're matter-of-fact and keep it business as usual the players are going to follow that, too."

This and that: En route to completing 28 of 43 passes for 376 yards and four touchdowns Sunday, Eagles quarterback...
    -10-27-2004, 03:13 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Too Little, Too Late For T.O.
    by r8rh8rmike
    Updated: Nov. 8, 2005, 4:47 PM ET
    T.O. apologizes, but Eagles won't take him back

ESPN.com news services

Terrell Owens wants to return to the Eagles, but the team won't have him.

A contrite Owens, hoping to overturn his dismissal from the Philadelphia Eagles, on Tuesday apologized to coach Andy Reid, quarterback Donovan McNabb, the team's owner and president, and fans.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio spoke to a top Eagles official, who told Paolantonio that Owens will not be rejoining the team. The official added that even if Owens' suspension is not upheld by an arbitrator, Owens will still not play for the Eagles this season.

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Owens was making a public apology in hopes of returning to the Eagles immediately.

"We hope he plays again for the Philadelphia Eagles," Rosenhaus said.

"I fight for what I think is right. In doing so, I alienated a lot of my fans and my teammates," Owens said, reading a statement outside his house in Moorestown, N.J., outside Philadelphia.

"It really hurts me not to be a part of this team anymore," Owens said.

Rosenhaus said Owens wants to return to the Eagles "ASAP."

Owens on Monday was told by the team not to return this season. The decision resulted from "a large number of situations that accumulated over a long period of time, during which Terrell had been warned repeatedly about the consequences of his actions," Reid said.

The All-Pro wide receiver didn't play in Sunday night's 17-10 loss at Washington, and will remain suspended for three more games without pay. After that, the Eagles plan to deactivate him for the rest of the season.

He was suspended Saturday, two days after he said the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch in a game on Oct. 23. In the same interview with ESPN.com on Thursday, Owens said the Eagles would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback instead of McNabb.

Owens apologized specifically to Reid, McNabb, Eagles president Joe Banner, owner Jeffrey Lurie and to fans.

To McNabb, Owens said, "I apologize to him for any comments that may have been negative."
    -11-08-2005, 03:38 PM
  • AvengerRam_old
    TO Suspension Upheld
    by AvengerRam_old
    Eagles' suspension of Owens upheld
    NFL.com wire reports PHILADELPHIA (Nov. 23, 2005) -- Terrell Owens ' season is effectively over after an arbitrator ruled that the Philadelphia Eagles were justified in suspending him for four games.
    Arbitrator Richard Bloch wrote that the Eagles clearly proved the suspension was justified, and were within their right to pay their All-Pro receiver but not allow him to return "due to the nature of his conduct and its destructive and continuing threat to the team."
    The Eagles did not immediately comment after the decision was announced.
    "We are pleased that the arbitrator has upheld the right of a club to suspend a player for conduct detrimental to the club," said Harold Henderson, the NFL's head of labor relations. "The ruling makes clear that Terrell Owens and his agent engaged in conduct that was disruptive to the Eagles and that Coach Reid's decision to suspend the player was appropriate."
    Bloch heard more than 13 hours of testimony last week. Owens' side argued the penalty is excessive and the Eagles' decision to deactivate him is too severe. Owens wanted to be reinstated to the Eagles or released so he can sign with another team.
    Owens was suspended Nov. 5 after he again criticized quarterback Donovan McNabb, called the organization "classless" and fought with former teammate Hugh Douglas, who serves as team "ambassador."
    Two days later, the Eagles extended the suspension to four games and told Owens not to return. The reigning conference champions are 0-3 without Owens and 4-6 overall, last in the NFC East.
    Owens has five years remaining on a seven-year contract that he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004. His problems started when he demanded a new contract after an outstanding season in which he caught 77 passes for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns, helping the Eagles reach the Super Bowl.
    With Owens, the Eagles are 17-5 over two seasons. Without him, they're 2-5, including two meaningless losses at the end of last season and two playoff victories....
    -11-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Working...
X