Ravens angered over Porter's 'cheap shot'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ravens angered over Porter's 'cheap shot'

BALTIMORE - The Baltimore Ravens won't soon forget the hit Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter leveled on an injured tight end Todd Heap during the second quarter of Sunday's 30-13 rout of the Steelers.

Heap twisted his right ankle on the previous play when he gingerly took his place on the line as Ravens quarterback Kyle Boller prepared to spike the ball. As Boller thrust the ball downward, Porter shoved Heap backward with a show of brute force.

Heap could barely lift himself off the turf and was removed for the remainder of the game.

Afterward, the Ravens were livid over Porter's seemingly unnecessary hit.

``It just shows what type of character that guy has,'' linebacker Ray Lewis said. ``When you take a cheap shot like that and just try to hurt somebody, it goes way outside of your character and shows what type of spirit he really has. You just pray for him.''

Ravens cornerback Chris McAlister called Porter an unprintable name and said, ``There's no reason for anyone to take a cheap shot like that.''

Baltimore coach Brian Billick wondered aloud why the rules would permit such an unsportsmanlike act.

``We are awful concerned about receivers turning their shoulders, going forward on the line of scrimmage, and we talk endlessly about pass interference down the field, but something like that is evidently legal,'' Billick said. ``How about that?''

Porter contended Heap might have been bluffling.

``It looked like he was hobbling, but at the same time, I don't know if he was fake hobbling,'' Porter said. ``I've seen a lot of guys that looked hurt and kept playing. They fall on the ground and get up and run a play.

``I didn't hit him, I pushed him. It's not like I took a cheap shot at him and ran in there and hit him. I pushed him with my hands. This is football.''

Porter figured the Ravens expressed their displeasure on the field as a way of getting the fans riled up.

``It's just a thing to get the crowd into it, to boo me and make me out to be the bad guy,'' he said. ``So I'm fine with that.''

Re: Ravens angered over Porter's 'cheap shot'

Heap's a good guy. I've seen some reports on him and he's very religious (and not pushy about it) guy that works hard and seeing that all his teammates are supporting him.

On an aside.....aren't the Ravens the LAST team that should be complaining about cheap shots?

Comment

Originally posted by DJRamFan
      On an aside.....aren't the Ravens the LAST team that should be complaining about cheap shots?
      I saw, on another message board, a Ravens fan start a thread titled "Joey Porter is a thug."

One of the first responses was, "A Ravens fan complaining about a player being a thug, how ironic." I laughed for ten minutes.

Comment

dry your eyes everyone ;)

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
          Ravens QB Flacco not a fan of Wildcat formation
          by Nick
          Joe Flacco thinks ‘Wildcat’ package makes Ravens look like ‘a high-school offense’
          By Eric Edholm 3 hours ago Shutdown Corner

Don't expect to see Joe Flacco to be too happy if the Baltimore Ravens bust out the "Wildcat" offense again on Thanksgiving against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Why? He thinks they look like turkeys doing so.

Flacco was asked about the Ravens sprinkling in some "Wildcat" last week against the New York Jets, bringing in backup Tyrod Taylor to help spark a dormant offense, and Flacco's answers were brutally honest — and pretty hilarious:

So, Joe, tell us your real feelings, please.

The guy has a point: Flanking Flacco out wide offers no value if the defense is at all prepared for Taylor's skill set and the execution of whatever play the Ravens run. Flacco is literally an offensive player the defense doesn't have to worry about, making it 10-on-11 football. The Ravens need more offensive weaponry, not less.

It's understandable the Ravens would dip their toes in that water. But if Flacco has his druthers, they'll throw that baby out with the bathwater. Like, immediately....
          -11-26-2013, 02:40 PM
        • Bruce=GOAT
          Ravens McNair game time decision
          by Bruce=GOAT
          http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Kyle Boller would give us a good chance at our first win
          -10-12-2007, 06:02 PM
        • Bruce=GOAT
          Impact of Steve McNair on the Ravens
          by Bruce=GOAT
          What type of impact will McNair have now that he is a member of the Baltimore Ravens? The Ravens think he is the final piece of the SuperBowl puzzle, what do you guys think?
          -06-07-2006, 10:21 PM
        • evil disco man
          What Ravens' fans think about Kyle Boller...
          by evil disco man
          I liked the signing, but it was still surprising to me that most of the comments about him were positive and supportive.

And finally......
          -04-05-2009, 11:11 PM
        • dgr828
          Weak and weary Rams come tapping at the Ravens chamber door
          by dgr828
          And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
          On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door,
          and his eyes all the seeming of a demon that is dreaming,
          And the lamp-light over him streaming throws his shadow on the floor,
          And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
          Shall be lifted -- nevermore!
          - FROM THE RAVEN BY EDGAR ALLAN POE

Well, the Rams almost pulled it off against the Arizona Cardinals last weak, at home in the Ed, but questionable officiating and turnovers resulted in a 34-31 loss.
          The Rams (0-5) will try to get their 1st win, on the road, against the Baltimore Ravens (3-2). The Ravens have won their last 7 home games at M&T BANK STADIUM (M&T= Manufacturers & Traders Trust Co.), a win by the Rams will be a tall order.
          The Rams won the last meeting against the Ravens 33-22 (Nov. 9, 2003 ).
          Both teams are banged up. Ravens QB Steve McNair is a game time decision. McNair did not practice Friday (Bad back). Backup Kyle Boller may get the start.
          Other notible Ravens injuries: DT Trevor Pryce - wrist (out), TE Todd Heap - Thigh (Probable), T Jonathan Ogden - Toe (Questionable), CB Samari Rolle - Illness (Questionable), WR Derrick Mason - Illness (Questionable). Derrick Mason leads the league with 44 receptions, but only has 372 yards and 1 TD.
          The Rams are sure to see a heavy dosage of Baltimore's running game, lead by Ravens RB Willis McGahee. McGahee has rushed 102 att / 464 yds / 4.5 avg with 0 Touchdowns. Rams rookie RB Brian Leonard has a 4.8 avg with 38 carries for 138 yards, also with 0 touchdowns.
          The Rams are in danger of matching a franchaise record of starting the season 0-6, set by the the 1962 Los Angeles Rams, who finished the season with a 1-12-1 record.
          They will be facing an always tough defense, in the Baltimore Ravens, lead by Pro Bowl Linebacker Ray Lewis. Other notables on defense include Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs and Corey Ivy.
          Despite their record and injuries, the Rams have been competitive and have had good chances to win each game. Gus Frerotte & Co. will have to minimize the turnovers, while defensively the Rams must focus on stopping the run.
          Hopefully the Rams can come together and pull out a victory over the Ravens and this losing season becomes...NEVERMORE!
          -10-14-2007, 10:38 AM
        Working...
        X