X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice vents, deals with streak's end

Rice vents, deals with streak's end

OAKLAND

SUNDAY'S GAME against the Buffalo Bills had been over for nearly 30 minutes, and Jerry Rice's white-hot anger had subsided.

Rice laughed about how he had slammed his helmet to the ground, one-hopping the Raiders' bench late in the fourth quarter of their 13-10 victory.

He joked about how he had kicked a plastic yard-line marker, accidentally bouncing it off a cop's leg on the sidelines.

Nearly a half hour had passed since Rice's NFL record streak of 274 games with at least one catch had ended.

His anger had subsided, but his pride was still clearly hurting.

Rice hadn't been blanked since Dec. 1, 1985, against the Washington Redskins during his rookie season with the *****.

Eight days later that year in a Monday night game against the Rams, Rice started a catch streak that lasted over 18 seasons and through four U.S. presidents, from Ronald Reagan to George W. Bush.

Rice went on to became arguably the NFL's greatest receiver, smashing records left and right. Now, at 41, he's an afterthought. That reality, more than the streak's death, is what hurt most.

"It's something that's hard to deal with because you pride yourself on catching the football," Rice said. "Even without the streak, you pride yourself on catching the football during the game. And it's been a long time. I can't recall. It's been a long time.

"I never thought it would come to an end like this, but you know, it's OK. It's all right. It happens. Life goes on. I'll just start another one."

It's been a long time since Rice was all but ignored in a football game. But that's what happened Sunday. Quarterback Rich Gannon threw Rice's way one time. That second-quarter sideline pass sailed well over Rice's head.

Rice spent most of the game running deep clear-out patterns, opening up space for other receivers.

"Well, I'm in great shape," Rice said, laughing. "It reminds me of the movie, what's his name, run Forrest run? Forrest Gump? Well, run Forrest run. I was running. I was running hard, too."

When Rice was in his prime, his coaches and quarterback basically made sure he kept his streak alive. They were aware when Rice's streak was in jeopardy.

And now?

Well, new Raiders coach Norv Turner said he didn't realize Rice's streak was on life support until offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye told him with only 2:20 remaining. By then, it was too late. The Raiders got the ball back with 1:17 left and ran out the clock.

"There's no way in that situation you're going to throw a pass," Turner said.

"I would like to (have seen) Jerry continue his streak. It disappoints me that he didn't."

Gannon said he didn't know Rice's streak had ended until after the game in the locker room.

"I was not aware of the situation," Gannon said. "I kind of wish that I had been. ... It's unfortunate."

To his credit, Rice said he doesn't want any charity passes. He wants passes thrown his way because he gets open in the Raiders' regular offense, not some let's-help-Rice scheme.

Rice's frustration boiled over late in the game after the Raiders drove to the Bills' 20 then ran the ball three straight times, setting up a field goal.

That's when Rice slammed his helmet to the turf, kicked the yard marker and paced the sidelines, having an animated conversation with himself.

"I was working on kicking a little bit, just in case (Sebastian Janikowski) had a little trouble," Rice joked. "You know guys, come on. I'm a competitor. You get a little frustrated. I apologize for that. I enjoy the game, and I love being a part of it. I want to contribute to the team. It didn't happen today."

Rice made a few long-distance gestures toward Turner but never confronted him, on the field or in the locker room.

"I'm not going to get up and have any type of confrontation with the coach," Rice said. "I might stand off from a distance and I might talk to myself and you might see me gesture. But it's never directly at the coach. It's just my frustration."

Rice might not have another catch-free game this season, but he's probably in for more frustration. Rice had to know that when he agreed to return to the Raiders for his 20th NFL season.

Jerry Porter is now the Raiders' No. 1 option. Third receiver Ronald Curry, who caught a game-high five passes for 89 yards and one touchdown, is gaining on Rice. So are young backups Doug Gabriel and Alvis Whitted.

Of course time is gaining on Rice too. That's one race not even the NFL's greatest receiver can win forever.

Re: Rice vents, deals with streak's end

What a wussy crybaby. Maybe a trip to the massage parlor might calm him down.

Comment

Re: Rice vents, deals with streak's end

there goes the theory of his being a class act. once a whiner, always a whiner.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

Rice can't hack real offense, runs home crying to Mommy Holmgren
        by Guest
        October 23, 2004 (NHS) -- Jerry Rice was traded to Seattle for, well, nothing (his true market value) after a typical episode of Jerry being Jerry (being an egomaniacal a-hole). But the most overrated individual in sports history got his way in the end -- which is all that matters, right? -- notwithstanding the stench of how it went down.

End of West Coast offense, end of Jerry
        It started with Rice's meltdown in Oakland. After Al Davis toyed with the cheesy West Coast offense in Oakland for the last couple years -- perhaps just to show how easy it is to dink your way to the Super Bowl -- this year he brought in Norv Turner and real offense back to the Silver & Black.

And Jerry couldn't hack it.

It's no coincidence that it took just two games in a legitimate offensive scheme to spell the end of one of the most perverted pieces of meaningless NFL trivia -- Rice's little "consecutive games with a catch" streak.

There are complete idiots that use this among "proof" that Rice is, laughably, "the greatest player ever", but perhaps now they'll connect the dots that the entire "streak" was based on nothing more than throwing him an avalanche of cheesy 2-yard dink attempts in the Wuss Coast offense, and not anything of value.

But alas, this concept continues to boggle the braintrust in the media. The San Jose Mercury wrote, "Raiders Coach Norv Turner had no explanation Monday for Rice's diminishing role, other than to say: 'It's a different offense, a different style of offense, and we have a lot of people playing.'"

Hey, geniuses -- how exactly is this "no explanation"??

The fact that it's a different offense is the exact explanation.

Truth is, Rice's skills only translate to the gimmick Wuss Coast offense. When he ended up in the Raiders' traditional offense by mistake, his skills became garbage. Other smaller, faster receivers that can actually get open down the field are more valuable to Norv Turner's scheme.

The explanation that eludes the faculties of our lovable media is simply put: end of WCO, end of Jerry. It's just that simple. It's the same reason Steve Young was worthless in Tampa Bay. It's a shame it took 20 years until Rice ended up by chance in a real offense to finally see the truth we've known all along come to fruition. Too bad we never got to see Joe Montana leave the shelter of the cozy dink pass offense.

Same old class
        As the clock ran down and it was clear his little streak was going to end, Rice started throwing his helmet and kicking things and muttering to himself on the sideline -- while his team was winning.

When the apocalypse actually happened and the game ended without the Divine Catch being bestowed upon the Almighty, the media spin started kicking the helmet of truth. Even though all reputable...
        -10-25-2004, 09:32 PM
      • AvengerRam_old
        Can we stop praying at the alter of Jerry Rice now?
        by AvengerRam_old
        The media loves Jerry Rice. He is, without question, the most productive WR of all time, and one of the most productive players of all time. His work ethic and ability to play into his 40s is admirable.

But... all that does not change the fact that the guy's a jerk.

I won't mention the massage parlor incident (Oops! I just did!). Instead, I'll focus on two recent events.

First, a few weeks ago, his record streak of consecutive games with a reception ended IN A GAME THAT HIS TEAM WON. You would think that he would react by simply commenting after the game that "its been a good run," while confirming that the important thing was that his team won. Instead, he threw a tantrum on the sideline.

Now, he's traded to Seattle and he takes Steve Largent's #80 jersey. Apparently, this was approved by Largent and the team... but that's not the point. Steve Largent is a Seattle football icon. Perhaps... the only Seattle football icon. In that city, #80 should always represent Largent, not some washed-up carpetbagger who lacks the class to SIMPLY WEAR ANOTHER NUMBER!!!

I'm sure Chris Berman and other Rice apologists will find some way to excuse this act of hubris. Me... I've had about enough of Rice's act.
        -10-20-2004, 09:08 AM
      • Nick
        PFT: Hawks cooking up some Rice?
        by Nick
        HAWKS COOKING UP SOME RICE?

As receiver Jerry Rice continues to look for a pathway out of the Bay Area after more than 19 seasons with the ***** and the Raiders, we're hearing that talks have been occurring between the Seahawks and the Raiders, possibly regarding a trade for the man who holds every significant career receiving record.

Though we don't do what specifically was discussed, we do know that there have been communications, and we can think of no reason why the Raiders and the Seahawks would be talking about anything other than a trade for Rice, especially since the trade deadline is only five days away.

Reportedly, Rice was scheduled to meet with Raiders owner Al Davis on Wednesday night (daylight, after all, kills vampires) regarding the future Hall of Famer's discontent with his role in the Oakland offense. On Sunday, Rice was held without a reception for the second time this season.

When Rice left the ***** as a free agent, the Seahawks was one of the teams in the mix for his services, since coach Mike Holmgren is well acquainted with Rice given their days together in San Fran, when Holmgren was the offensive coordinator. With a receiving corps in Seattle that's having trouble holding onto the football, perhaps Holmgren thinks a guy like Rice will help Koren Robinson finally mature into the player that he can be.

But Holmgren also will be required to get Rice on the field, and the ball in his hands. If anyone can find a way to make that happen, it's Holmgren, who arguably knows Rice better than any other coach presently working in the NFL.
        -10-14-2004, 07:08 AM
      • RamWraith
        Free agent Rice was quick to make a mark
        by RamWraith
        Defensive end had three sacks against Colts
        BY STEVE KORTE
        News-Democrat
        ST. LOUIS - Getting three sacks in the St. Louis Rams' preseason opener was definitely an attention-grabber for rookie defensive end Matthew Rice.

"Anytime I turn a corner, I hear something about a sack or sackmaster," Rice said. "It's funny because I'm a humble guy. I'm constantly hearing it.

"They say when you get to the league, you get a big head. While everybody's pumping my head up. I'm trying to lay low, and everybody keeps saying things about the sacks."

As Rice was conducting his first interview of training camp, Rams running back Steven Jackson got in a quick jab as he walked into the team's lunch room.

"It was all luck," Jackson shouted before ducking through the doorway.

Rice got all three of his sacks in the second half of the Rams' 19-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday night. He was working with the team's third-string defense against the Colts' third-string offense.

"He had a good showing in his first game," Rams coach Scott Linehan said of Rice. "That's what is great about the preseason. It was primarily the (third-string) out there against their (third-string), and he certainly showed he belonged. He produced.

"This is a who-produces-and-who-doesn't-produce business."

Rice, 24, said his family in the Baltimore, Md., was excited after watching his big night on television.

"I spent more time talking on the phone than I did actually playing," Rice said. "Everybody was pretty pumped up."

Rice said he's had three sacks previously in a game, but he couldn't recall the specifics.

"I have a short-term memory, man," Rice said. "In high school and college, I had similar games."

The 6-foot-3, 256-pound Rice had 23 sacks, including 10 as a senior, in high school, and 17 sacks in 44 games while playing at Penn State.

Rice was expecting a call during the 2006 NFL draft, but it never came. He ended up signing as an undrafted free agent with the Buffalo Bills, but was cut, and subsequently signed by the Rams on the first day of training camp.

"It was a surprise," Rice said of going undrafted. "It was something I just dealt with. I've learned from life experiences. Not being drafted, it made me focus more on things off the field. It made me get my business going off the field."

Rice is an artist who recently started his own business, "Mateo Blu." The name is combination of his first name in spanish and his nickname of "Blue."

"What I love to do is oil paint more than anything," Rice said. "My style is not really defined because I keep changing up.
        -08-13-2006, 02:03 PM
      • RAMMAN68
        Rice a Sqwak
        by RAMMAN68
        Chris Mortenson just reported that Rice is close to being traded to the shesqwaks for a conditional draft pick.

Sounds like the sqwaks are in need of a receiver that can hold on to the ball.

:tongue:
        -10-18-2004, 04:56 PM
      Working...
      X