X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch! Winslow may have broken leg

Ouch! Winslow may have broken leg
    Monday, September 20, 2004

Irving, Texas- Rookie tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. hobbled out of Texas Stadium on crutches and a walking boot on his right foot.

The injury could be significant, but the Browns were not saying Sunday night. Winslow underwent X-rays, but the team did not say whether they were positive or negative.

He most likely will undergo further exams today, but he may have suffered a broken bone in his leg. The team's Web site reported that several team sources said Winslow had broken his fibula. ESPN.com reported in a best-case scenario, Winslow will be out six to eight weeks.

What hurts most is that Winslow was injured on an onside kick with eight seconds left in the game when he got sandwiched between two teammates.

He was carted off the field and grimacing on his way out.

"We don't know what the situation is with Kellen yet, but it's an unfortunate thing, because he's definitely a great player for this team and is going to be somebody that we rely on heavily," quarterback Jeff Garcia said.

"If we have to move forward without him, then that's something that we'll have to do and find a way to do it. It adds insult to injury."

Garcia lamented the way it happened.

"This was a struggle of a game and then right at the end, one of your top players is potentially down, so that's going to be a difficult situation," he said.

Before Winslow was injured, the buzz was that he had been open several times and that Garcia did not look his way. Garcia acknowledged missing him several times, including once on the second drive when he went deep on his first two plays. The second time, he threw deep to Dennis Northcutt while Winslow was wide open in the right flat.

Winslow finished with one catch for 11 yards. In the third quarter, Terence Newman drilled Winslow helmet to helmet on the sidelines, but no flag was thrown. Winslow almost got into fisticuffs with the Cowboys, but it was broken up before he lost his cool.

"It's unfortunate we haven't been able to get him the opportunities during games like we want to," Garcia said. "Depending on the outcome of this, we'll just have to wait and see."

Brown hurt, too:

Left end Courtney Brown suffered a left foot injury in the first quarter and did not return. He was also carted off and seen in a boot after the game. Brown underwent X-rays, but no results were provided. Brown has been plagued by injuries throughout his career. His condition will be updated today.

"I don't know anything yet," coach Butch Davis said. "All I know is that it's his foot or ankle, and they told me he wasn't coming back in the second half."

Ekuban shines:

Ebenezer Ekuban, who replaced Brown in the starting lineup, was superb against his former team. He forced and recovered the Julius Jones fumble that changed the momentum in the first quarter, and then sacked Vinny Testaverde for a 7-yard loss in the second quarter. The sack came after a 33-yard run by Dexter Coakley on the fake punt and deflated the Cowboys some. They settled for a field goal on the drive.

Despite struggling with a pulled groin muscle, Ekuban played the entire game. He had no choice. With Brown out, the Browns were down to two healthy ends in Ekuban and Kenard Lang. So much for rotating linemen in the 90-degree heat.

"[Ekuban] played real well, but I'm sure he'd much rather have a win, just like the rest of us," Lang said.

Oh Henry:

Anthony Henry had his second interception in as many games when he stepped in front of a Testaverde pass intended for Terry Glenn and returned it 51 yards. Henry already has exceeded his interception total of one last season and is one shy of the three he has had the past two seasons. The two dry spells followed his stellar rookie year in which he tied for first in the NFL with 10 pickoffs.

Warren, Tucker hurt:

Gerard Warren started the game but left after the first quarter when he reaggravated his strained pectoral muscle. He was limited even when he played. He was replaced by former Cowboy Michael Myers, who had four tackles and an assist. . . . Right tackle Ryan Tucker left in the fourth quarter with an undisclosed injury and was replaced by Joaquin Gonzalez. He would not say what his injury was but will undergo an MRI today.

Suggs inactive:

Running back Lee Suggs made the trip but was inactive because of his neck stinger. William Green started but was held to 2.7 yards per carry (19 runs for 52 yards).

Coordination:

Cowboys running back Eddie George racked up 760 yards and 14 TDs in seven games against the Browns while with Tennessee. George said his previous success against Cleveland did not matter Sunday, when he rushed for 62 yards and a score on 18 carries. "Their defensive personality has changed since [defensive coordinator Dave] Campo got there," George said.

Hello, Newman:

The Cowboys' cornerback Newman said his fourth-quarter interception was the result of anticipating a slant based on the Browns' formation.

Newman jumped in front of Quincy Morgan for Dallas' third interception of Garcia.

Extra points:

James Jackson had the longest run of his career, a 38-yarder in the second quarter that led to a field goal. . . . Garcia's first interception in the third quarter was his first in 131 pass attempts. . . . Cornerback Lew Sanders made a big stop on the Cowboys first punt return for a 1-yard loss.

Tim McMahon of the Dallas Morning News contributed to this report.

Re: Ouch! Winslow may have broken leg

That's too bad, he's an uprising star and to get hurt on an onside kick.

Maybe this will give him a chance to work his mouth some more ;)

Comment

Re: Ouch! Winslow may have broken leg

Look for his agents, the infamous, money grabin Postons, to sue somebody over this.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        Maddox mum about extent of injury
        by Nick
        Maddox mum about extent of injury
        Starter's injury puts rookie Roethlisberger in difficult spot, but sympathetic teammates offer their unconditional support
        Monday, September 20, 2004
        By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BALTIMORE -- Tommy Maddox was able to use his right arm after the game yesterday, but it was for a much different reason: To wave off a question about his injury.

As he left M&T Bank Stadium, his throwing arm cradled to his chest in a black sling, Maddox said he was told not to discuss his condition until he and the Steelers are certain of the damage in his right elbow.

This much is certain: Maddox's injury is serious enough that he will miss what coach Bill Cowher called "an extended period of time" with a strained or torn muscle in his elbow.

The injury occurred near the start of the third quarter of the Steelers' 30-13 loss to the Baltimore Ravens and moved Ben Roethlisberger, the team's No. 1 draft choice, into the role of starting quarterback.

Maddox likely will have a magnetic resonance imaging test today to determine the severity of the injury. But, listening to Maddox's teammates, the prognosis doesn't appear good.

"You could see it on replay. It did not look good," said wide receiver Antwaan Randle El. "I pray for him. That's a tough injury right there. And not just football, that's a Tommy John [injury] or whatever. That ain't what you want."

"It's frustrating," said Hines Ward, who had six catches for 151 yards and a touchdown. "Tommy is such a competitor. But I'm sure he'll be our coach on the sideline. He's a true team player. He'll do everything he can to get Ben right."

The Steelers have not been having much luck with quarterbacks this season. They lost backup Charlie Batch for the season when his knee was injured the first week of training camp, requiring surgery.

That injury allowed Roethlisberger, the 11th overall pick in the draft, to become the No. 2 quarterback.

Now Maddox could be out for a lengthy period, perhaps the season, after a play in which his arm was hit by Ravens cornerback Gary Baxter as Maddox attempted to throw a pass. Maddox immediately grabbed his right arm as he fell to the ground.

The hit knocked the ball from Maddox's grasp, and Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs returned the fumble 24 yards to the Steelers' 1. One play later, Jamal Lewis scored on a 1-yard run and the Ravens had a 20-0 lead.

"He tried to get it off real quick, and the guy kind of hit the ball while it was still in his hands," Randle El said. "Anytime you lose your No. 1 guys, it's tough. And it's tough when the next guy is a rookie.

"But Ben's not sitting out there like a deer in the headlights. He's confident. And that's what we need. As...
        -09-20-2004, 09:51 AM
      • RamWraith
        Rams cave in 3rd quarter
        by RamWraith
        By Bill Coats
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        10/01/2007

IRVING, TEXAS — Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett apparently sensed trouble brewing. Although his unit was seventh in the NFL in total defense heading into Week 4, he expressed concern about its lack of consistency.

"We've got to do it for four quarters," he said. "We can't do it for 3 or 3 1/2 quarters; we need to play the whole game."

Haslett's fears materialized Sunday in a 35-7 spanking at Texas Stadium. The Dallas Cowboys, whose 38.7-point average was the league's best, led only 14-7 at the half. Then they got serious.

The Cowboys (4-0) found the end zone on each of their three possessions in the third quarter. And they got there with shocking ease: drives of 59 yards on three plays, 52 yards on three plays and 80 yards on five plays. Advertisement

"They're a great, great offense," linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa said. "You've got to stay with it for four quarters. We did good for two of them, but in the third, they really opened up. They showed why they're the No. 1 offense."

The Cowboys piled up 502 total yards, the most by any team against the Rams in two seasons under Haslett and coach Scott Linehan.

"We haven't been able to put a game together yet," cornerback Ron Bartell said. "Guys are working hard, the coaches are coaching hard. We just haven't been able to get it done."

Veteran cornerback Lenny Walls, who started on the left side for the third week in a row in place of injured Tye Hill (back), was a glaring victim of the Dallas eruption. He was burned by wide receiver Patrick Crayton on back-to-back series for TDs of 59 and 37 yards.

On the first, Walls unwisely went for the ball with the Rams blitzing on third and 10. He arrived late, and Crayton broke free and sprinted unimpeded the rest of the way.

"I got a pretty good break, actually," Walls said. "I felt like he would've got a first down catching it anyway. I went for the ball, didn't really secure the tackle, and when you're in an all-out like blitz like that, there's nothing else behind you. If you don't make that tackle, he's gone."

Crayton got past Walls on the next possession, hauled in Romo's toss and was off again. Walls said his calves locked up as he tried to stay with Crayton.

"I was dehydrated a little bit, cramping up, before the first half was over," Walls explained. "I came in at the half, tried to get an IV and get myself back together. But obviously I didn't really recover."

Walls then pulled himself from the game. Rookie Jonathan Wade finished for him.

"I had to shut it down," Walls said. "I'm one guy that never, ever wants to come out of a game. But at that point, knowing I couldn't...
        -10-01-2007, 05:52 AM
      • Nick
        Rams Get Win in Cleveland
        by Nick
        Rams Get Win in Cleveland
        Sunday, August 22, 2010
        By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

CLEVELAND – Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo made it clear what he wanted to see from in his team’s second preseason game.

Asked Thursday afternoon what he hoped to get out of the game against the Browns, Spagnuolo immediately mentioned that he wanted his team to get off to a fast start in Cleveland.

And the Rams gave him exactly what he wanted in putting together a strong first quarter and finishing with a flourish on the way to a 19-17 win at Cleveland Browns Stadium on Saturday night.

“It was good to see the team come out strong early like we talked about,” Spagnuolo said. “It doesn’t matter if it’s a preseason game or not when they keep score and you win, that’s a good thing so I think the team feels good about that.”

The Rams improved to 1-1 on the exhibition slate while the Browns fell to the same mark.

One week after the Rams offense failed to put any points on the board in the opener against Minnesota, they wasted no time in marching down the field and punching it in with a little help from a familiar face.

After the Browns won the toss and elected to receive, the Rams top defense picked up where it left off against the Vikings.

In the wet and rainy conditions in Cleveland, the Browns had trouble handling the ball and the defense came up with a quick three and out to get the ball into the hands of quarterback A.J. Feeley and the offense.

Against Minnesota, the offense struggled with pass protection, allowing six sacks and failed to find a rhythm.

Feeley wasted no time finding his, hitting tight end Billy Bajema for a gain of 16 on the first play from scrimmage. Running back Steven Jackson, in his first work of the preseason, burst up the middle for 11 yards on the next play.

With Jackson in the backfield and an offensive line with the five projected starters in place for the first time, the Rams confidence soared before they even stepped on the field.

“That’s the kind of boost…that’s what he is,” Spagnuolo said. “He’s one of the best players on our football team and to have him out there, I think the offensive line feels better about it, I think the quarterback does, I mean everybody does. We certainly look forward to having him.”

Suddenly, the Rams had some rhythm and Feeley continued to spread the ball around, finishing the drive with a 9-yard touchdown pass to tight end Daniel Fells on third down.

The score gave the Rams a 7-0 lead on a drive that covered 65 yards on 10 plays in a little more than five minutes.

It was the type of drive that clearly increased the confidence of the offense across the board. Feeley was five-of-six for 45 yards with the touchdown and Jackson racked up 20 yards on four carries.

-08-22-2010, 08:09 AM
      • eldfan
        Rams Team Report
        by eldfan
        USA TODAY

Special teams giveth and special teams taketh away. That was the story of the Rams' previous two games, and now they can only wonder what might be ahead with Seattle and Arizona visiting over the next two weeks.
        One week after having a potential game-winning field goal blocked at the end of regulation and then losing the game to the Cardinals on a 99-yard punt return in overtime, the Rams forced a fumble on a Browns punt return that led to the go-ahead field goal and then watched a bad snap result in a missed 22-yard field goal with 2:10 remaining and provide them with a 13-12 victory.

"It's great that something like that just doesn't happen to us," running back Steven Jackson said. "I'm happy to see that kind of bad luck actually happens to other teams not just the St. Louis Rams."

Said defensive end Chris Long, "Nothing surprises me anymore. This is a wild league and we've seen some wild finishes. It was good to get a break. Some of it's luck, but some of it we took advantage of. We knew the elements were going to matter in this game, and if we just get them in the kicking game a ton, then they're apt to make a mistake. The wind was brutal out there. It was not a huge surprise."

With even more injuries hitting his team during the game, coach Steve Spagnuolo knows they will continue to battle with what they've got.

"They're all going to be like this," Spagnuolo said. "Every one of these wins, every one we're going to get the rest of the season, is going to be a scratch, crawl, grab, and try to survive just like we did here. Find a way to make a play at the end. Maybe a little luck, we'll take that too. It's going to be challenging, but I know we have a bunch of guys in that locker room that will meet that challenge. They're just going to keep playing."

"We continue to fight through," Jackson said. "Guys keep going down, and we have the young guys and new guys who weren't on the depth chart at the beginning of the season come to fill the holes. They have to come in and play right away. But we are making progress and are continuing to fight. I think the theme for the rest of the season is going to be to continue to fight."

NOTES, QUOTES

LINEUP WATCH: Left tackle Rodger Saffold suffered a head injury early in the third quarter and was replaced by Mark LeVoir, who was signed Oct. 26. Adam Goldberg has started the last three games at right tackle because of a concussion suffered by Jason Smith. Cornerback Al Harris (knee) is expected to become the ninth cornerback to have gone on injured reserve since training camp, while tight end Michael Hoomanawanui also suffered what was believed to be a season-ending knee injury. Linebacker David Nixon was signed Wednesday because of injuries to Bryan Kehl and Josh Hull, and stripped the ball from Josh...
        -11-14-2011, 12:57 PM
      • RamWraith
        Cincinnati plays keep-away, leaves Rams frustrated
        by RamWraith
        By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        Monday, Dec. 10 2007

CINCINNATI — On a day when passing yards were a precious commodity, and the
        "offense" basically consisted of cornerback Fahkir Brown, the Rams still had a
        chance.

Trailing 16-10 with 5 minutes 3 seconds to play at Paul Brown Stadium, the Rams
        needed only to stop Cincinnati deep in Bengals territory, try to get good field
        position on a punt return. And with all three timeouts remaining ... who knows?

But then came Rudi right. Rudi left. Rudi up the middle. Bengals running back
        Rudi Johnson punctured the Rams' run defense for 6 yards; then 10; then 9; then
        22. For 3˝ quarters, Johnson did little — with 17 carries for 44 yards. But on
        this victory-clinching drive he gained 48 yards on six attempts.

What happened?

"I don't know," defensive tackle La'Roi Glover said. "It's pretty frustrating.
        The game's on the line. We needed a stop. We don't make the play."

By the time the Rams got the ball back, they were out of timeouts, only 2:22
        remained in the contest, and it was a two-score game

following Shayne Graham's 46-yard field goal. After a month of noticeably
        improved play, Sunday's 19-10 loss looked very much like several road defeats
        en route to an 0-8 start.

To wit, the offense got nothing going, and the defense played just well enough
        to lose.

"I was proud that our guys fought and hung in there with it," coach Scott
        Linehan said. "Going into it, I'm sure it doesn't look very favorable. But we
        battled as a team, and rallied around the situation we had with Brock (Berlin)."

Nonetheless, the end result was another loss. At 3-10, the Rams have been
        officially eliminated from playoff contention.

With Marc Bulger out with a concussion, and Gus Frerotte restricted to
        emergency quarterback duty with a shoulder injury, Berlin made his NFL
        regular-season debut. He had some rough moments, but limited mainly to
        underneath throws, he completed 17 of 28 passes for 153 yards and had a late
        interception.

"I thought (Berlin) gave us a great effort and he gave us a chance," Linehan
        said. "He managed the game very well. He can sit back and learn from some
        things. But for the most part he busted his butt out there."

The Rams had only one completion longer than 13 yards. With eight catches for
        90 yards, Torry Holt topped 1,000 yards receiving for the eighth straight
        season.

But Isaac Bruce went without a catch for the first time since the Rams' 2003
        regular-season finale against Detroit. He entered the game needing only 34
        reception yards to pass Marvin...
        -12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
      Working...
      X