Bernard Scott - New Chief In Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Scott - New Chief In Town

After everyone thought that Bengals theoretically can't get any more 'issue' players, they showed how wrong we were. Here comes the Bernard Scott, running back from Abilene-Christian! Probabation officers must be their best scouts. Here's something about this guy (NY Times).

He did not play his senior season after being involved in an off-field fight. He has been arrested at least five times and is finishing 18 months of probation for giving false information to a police officer during a traffic stop. He is attending his fourth college since 2003.
    But his explosive ability as a running back has provided ample opportunities for redemption, the latest one at Abilene Christian University. During a 93-68 victory last Saturday against West Texas A&M, Scott accounted for 353 all-purpose yards and 7 touchdowns.
    A 5-foot-11, 200-pound senior, Scott leads N.C.A.A. Division II in scoring (17.5 points a game) and all-purpose yards (248.8). And he is one of eight finalists for the Harlon Hill Trophy, which is given to the top player in Division II.
    Although Scott’s talent has never been questioned, his off-field behavior could pose concerns for N.F.L. teams.
    “Some people might hold it against me or whatever,” he said. “But it made me a better person, because I’ve learned from my mistakes.”
    Candid when interviewed about some of his past legal troubles, Scott, 24, failed to mention that he was arrested June 28 on a misdemeanor charge of fleeing a police officer in his hometown, Vernon, Tex. He posted $750 bond, and the case is pending.
    Abilene Christian Coach Chris Thomsen said he was unaware of the incident.
    “I wouldn’t have him on my team or wouldn’t have him on our campus if I didn’t trust the kid,” Thomsen said. “I’ve seen him grow immensely as a football player and a person.”
    After abruptly leaving Southeastern Oklahoma State University following a redshirt season, Scott transferred to the University of Central Arkansas in 2004. He rushed for 1,026 yards and 11 touchdowns and was named the Gulf South Conference freshman of the year before being dismissed.
    Central Arkansas Coach Clint Conque said he removed Scott for striking a coach who tried to break up a fight on the field in the spring of 2005. Scott denied that he hit a coach.
    “He’s a tremendous, tremendous football player,” Conque said by telephone. “He hates school, doesn’t trust a lot of people and obviously has some anger issues. I’m hoping that he’s matured some, but he maybe is one of the best pure running backs as far as balance, skills sets, vision and elusiveness.”
    After a stint trimming trees in Florida, Scott returned home in 2005. While there, he said, he did not work and hung out with a rough crowd. “I was just running around doing foolish stuff,” he said.
    Scott resurfaced in 2006 at Blinn College in Texas, where he rushed for 1,892 yards and 27 touchdowns. He was named the most valuable player in his team’s national junior college championship victory. He was also charged that year with stealing an iPod, a misdemeanor offense that was dismissed with his participation in a pretrial diversion program.
    Yet Scott still attracted attention from Arkansas, Fresno State, Miami and Texas Tech. Academically ineligible to play in Division I, he transferred to Abilene Christian because of his relationship with its coach. Thomsen knew Scott in high school and was an assistant coach at Central Arkansas during his lone season there in 2004.
    Last season, Scott rushed for 2,165 yards and had 39 touchdowns, breaking the team’s single-season scoring record held by Wilbert Montgomery, who went on to become the Philadelphia Eagles’ leading rusher. His touchdown production was also a Division II record.
    “When he gets out in the open, it’s over,” Southeastern Oklahoma State Coach Ray Richards said in a telephone interview. “He’s like Barry Sanders. You can contain him, contain him, contain him, and then all of a sudden, it’s over.”
    On talent alone, Scott could be a late first-day pick in April’s N.F.L. draft, said Gil Brandt, a pro football analyst.
    “Everybody likes him,” Brandt said. “But they all keep their mouths shut.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
    Former UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden Dies
    by r8rh8rmike
    Former UCLA basketball coach John Wooden dies
    By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
    Jun 5, 3:27 am EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP)—John Wooden, college basketball’s gentlemanly Wizard of Westwood who built one of the greatest dynasties in all of sports at UCLA and became one of the most revered coaches ever, has died. He was 99.

The university said Wooden died Friday night of natural causes at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where he had been since May 26.

Wooden remained beloved by many of his former players, several of whom visited him in recent days to say their goodbyes.

Related Video Wooden's legacy Wooden's legacy

More NCAAB Videos ADVERTISEMENT

Among them was Bill Walton, whose voice caught as he spoke of the man he hailed as a teacher first and a coach second.

“He’s the greatest,” Walton said the night before Wooden’s death. “We love him.”

Jamaal Wilkes said he recognized what he called “that little glint” in Wooden’s pale blue eyes.

During his second visit Wednesday night, Wilkes asked Wooden if he recognized him.

“His glasses fogged up, and he had to clean his glasses,” Wilkes said. “He looked at me and said, ‘I remember you, now go sit down.”’

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Joe Torre and current UCLA coach Ben Howland were among Wooden’s final visitors.

“I just enjoyed him and the twinkle in his eye,” Howland said, noting Wooden told a few jokes from his hospital bed. “I’m just the steward of this program. It’s always going to be his program.”

Jim Harrick is the only coach in the post-Wooden era at UCLA to win a national championship. When the Bruins reached the 1995 Final Four in Seattle, Harrick repeatedly urged Wooden to attend. He had stopped going after his wife died 10 years earlier.

“You don’t know how stubborn he was,” Harrick said by phone from Orange County, Calif. “Finally, he did come, and it was a tremendous thrill.”

With his signature rolled-up game program in hand, Wooden led the Bruins to 10 NCAA championships, including an unmatched streak of seven in a row from 1967 to 1973.

Over 27 years, he won 620 games, including 88 straight during one historic stretch, and coached many of the game’s greatest players such as Walton and Lew Alcindor—later known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

“It’s kind of hard to talk about Coach Wooden simply, because he was a complex man. But he taught in a very simple way. He just used sports as a means to teach us how to apply ourselves to any situation,” Abdul-Jabbar said in a statement released through UCLA.

“He set quite an example. He was more like a parent than a coach. He really was a very selfless and giving human being, but he was a disciplinarian. We learned all about those aspects of life that most kids want to skip over. He...
    -06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Hawaii's Chang may become most prolific QB in college history
    by DJRamFan
    HONOLULU (AP) -- Hawaii coach June Jones knew special things were in store for his football program when a lanky, baby-faced teenager first stepped onto the Manoa practice field in 2000 and completed eight straight passes.

Since then, quarterback Timmy Chang has thrown for 12,814 yards and 79 touchdowns and is closing in on becoming the most prolific passer in college history.

The senior needs 2,218 yards to break the 13-year-old NCAA career passing mark of 15,031 set by Brigham Young's Ty Detmer, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1990.

Chang, who is 1,030-of-1,834, is also on pace to break the NCAA marks in career completions (1,231) and pass attempts (1,883), held by Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury. With 67 interceptions thrown, Chang is the verge of breaking Purdue quarterback Mark Herrmann's record of 73.

Barring injury or any mental lapses that led to his benching last year, Chang -- who averages 320.4 passing yards per game -- could surpass Detmer's record by midseason.

"I had envisioned this happening if he had stayed healthy," Jones said. "The first time I saw him in our training camp, I knew he would play as a freshman. And anybody that lines up and plays 12 games a year in this offense is going to have a shot at that record."

If he does break Detmer's record, Chang said it is a reflection of all his coaches and teammates -- past and present.

"Football is the biggest team game," he said. "You got 11 guys on the field that need to work together to accomplish one goal. It would be selfish to award myself, so I would never do that."

Hawaii is also touting Chang as a Heisman hopeful. He could have a big season, given that 10 offensive starters are returning from last year's 9-5 squad, which was second in the nation in passing.

He has already set or tied 36 school records and eight Western Athletic Conference marks. Not bad considering he didn't play the sport until junior high school.

"Football wasn't a part of my childhood experience other than on the streets," Chang said. "I love basketball more than football, even now. But football was a tool for me to get ahead."

The youngest of three children, Chang said he focused on football to lessen his parents' financial burden of paying for a college education. He expects to graduate next spring with a liberal arts degree.

Despite his lofty numbers, Chang has struggled with injuries and inconsistency.

Last year, he was booed by the home crowd and benched late in the season for ineffectiveness. However, he came off the bench and threw for 475 yards and five touchdowns in a 54-48 triple-overtime victory over Houston in the Hawaii Bowl.

Chang said his most difficult time was when he suffered a season-ending wrist injury just three games into...
    -08-30-2004, 09:15 AM
  • MauiRam
    Possible sleeper in the late rds??
    by MauiRam
    School of hard knocks
    Injuries, adversity have made Ducks' Colvin stronger
    Posted: Friday March 14, 2008 9:35AM; Updated: Friday March 14, 2008 3:00PM

Speedy receiver Cameron Colvin showed flashes of brilliance in his career at Oregon and hopes to impress NFL types at the Ducks' Pro Day next week.
    Icon SMI

By Stewart Mandel, SI.com

Like a lot of college seniors, Oregon's Cameron Colvin has a job interview next Thursday. In fact, he'll be auditioning for multiple employers on the same day. Like most of those peers, Colvin would really like to ace his interview. In fact, he's spent the past several months preparing for it. Unlike the typical college senior, however, Colvin has to ace this interview. It may be his one and only chance to enter the profession of his choosing.

If things had worked out as planned for the former Ducks receiver, there would not be so much riding on this singular performance at his school's 2008 Pro Day, where he will run, lift, catch passes and perform other assorted drills in front of the watchful eyes of NFL personnel men. Like a Chris Long or Darren McFadden the audition would barely affect his draft status.

Colvin, however, was not even among the 330-plus players invited to last month's NFL Scouting Combine. The Web site NFLDraftCountdown.com lists him 61st among receiver prospects. TFY Draft analyst (and SI.com contributor) Tony Pauline puts it bluntly: "He's not going to get drafted."

Oh, and did we mention Colvin is still recovering from a broken ankle suffered last October?

If any of this has dissuaded the cheery, soft-spoken 22-year-old Pittsburg, Calif., native from pursuing his NFL dreams, he hasn't shown it. If so, he would not have spent the past two months shuttling back and forth between Eugene, where he is in the midst of completing a degree in political science, and Florida, where he trains with a former Olympic gold-medalist.

"I'm one of the most motivated people on the planet," said Colvin. "A lot of people go through their whole lives not knowing what they want to do. I've always known I was born to be an NFL receiver."

When you've endured as many personal tragedies and setbacks as Colvin, the thought of disproving an entire league full of skeptics probably seems like a walk in the park.

Over the past decade, football fans have become increasingly obsessed with two rituals that take place away from the gridiron: National Signing Day and the NFL Draft. Colvin's once-certain rise to stardom dovetailed somewhere between the former and the latter.

Four years ago, the De La Salle (Calif.) receiver was such a hot commodity that his Signing-Day press conference was broadcast live on SportsCenter. With his godfather and mentor, Jay Lightner, by his side, Colvin...
    -03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
  • MauiRam
    Clemson draft: NFL dreams the end of a long road for Scott
    by MauiRam
    Clemson draft: NFL dreams the end of a long road for Scott
    By PAUL STRELOW

DORELL SCOTT
    NG, 6-3/312
    3-4 defenses stock up on run-stuffers who plug the middle
    PROJECTION: 3rd-4th rounds

There is no place like home for Dorell Scott, which is why the former Clemson defensive lineman regards his plans for next weekend’s NFL Draft as a fool’s paradise.

In Scott’s fantasy, he finds refuge in the cozy confines of his mother’s living room in Columbia, calming his anxieties in this low-key environment.

Fat chance, he suggests with a chuckle, predicting the crowd will spill out of the three-bedroom residence. “I’m pretty sure it’s going to end up way more than I expect,” Scott said.

Home is also the scar that reminds Scott that no matter where he is drafted — pro scouts estimate he will be selected between the third and fifth rounds — it will amount to more than he expected from football when the 6-foot-3, 312-pounder hit bottom less than four years ago.

The episode accounts for why Airport High football coach Kirk Burnett calls the embrace he gave Scott on Clemson’s senior day in November “the most satisfying hug I’ve probably ever given.”

“He had me worried,” Burnett said. “You look at somebody who weighed 315 pounds, lying on his bed not happy with life. I walked out of his bedroom, and I was scared. I didn’t know if I’d hear a gunshot or what, because he was that depressed with life.”

“But he’s really grown up to be a happy person and a superb individual. Just seeing him that (senior) day and talking with him since then, he seems to have developed such a positive outlook.”

‘A MOMENT OF DOUBT’

The signs first became evident when Scott reported to August camp in 2005. After a strong offseason in the team’s strength and conditioning program, Scott was expected to contribute as a second-string redshirt freshman.

But his teammates and coaches noticed he was being distant and eating little.

So Clemson offensive coach Brad Scott (no relation), who recruited Scott out of Ridge View High, called Burnett.

Burnett was more than Dorell Scott’s coach. While combing the school cafeteria for prospective talent, he met Scott his freshman year of high school and convinced him to give up ROTC for football.

Burnett quickly replace the father Scott said he never knew.

So Burnett knew something was wrong when Scott declined to answer his phone calls.

Approximately two weeks into fall practice, Burnett heard from then-coach Tommy Bowden, reporting that Scott had gone AWOL from the team and was presumed at home.

In fact, Scott remained in Clemson, bunkered in his bed, sapped of energy and will due to a number of factors.

His mother, Diane, had developed an unspecified sickness...
    -05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Gators' new general keeping tabs on, off field
    by DJRamFan
    July 29, 2005
    By Dennis Dodd
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Dennis your opinion!

HOOVER, Ala. -- In a league that seemingly has many knuckleheads as All-Americans, Urban Meyer has become the lord of discipline in the SEC.

Let's just say if the touchdowns scored by Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia this season can match the number of arrests, that would be a good thing. Meanwhile, Florida's new coach is walking the walk.

All eyes will be on Chris Leak to carry the Gators. (Getty Images)
    Unlike a portion of his SEC brethren, Florida's new coach is proactive when it comes to The Discipline Thing. It almost seems like he wants to catch wrongdoers.

Seniors are dispatched to local clubs on weekends, sort of like hall monitors, checking to see if their teammates are staying in line.

"It was after one workout, one Thursday night," said free safety Jarvis Herring who was rousted off the couch by one of Meyer's duty calls. "He'll call you in advance."

Herring has been transformed. He told the New York Times that last offseason (under former coach Ron Zook), he and teammates would start drinking in the morning and not stop until late at night -- or until the booze ran out.

Zook, a masterful recruiter, was largely criticized for the team's lack of discipline off the field.

Now Herring is a decorated hall monitor. Meyer chose him to come here as one of the Florida players to speak to the press during SEC preseason media days. While the surveillance might make some Gator upperclassmen uncomfortable about informing on their teammates, it does install a sense of responsibility.

"When I worked for Earle Bruce, he told me discipline is 90 percent anticipation," Meyer said before departing here for Gainesville. "I really believe that. (When we get home) I'm going to drive over and walk through some of the dorm rooms and see how they're doing. I want to meet their parents. I want to know if their mom and dad say they should be at church on Sunday."

Once-a-semester "champions dinners" have been established to honor those players who have achieved as citizens, students and athletes. Those who have get special Florida gear and eat gourmet food in a white-tablecloth setting. In the same room, though, the slackers get hot dogs on paper plates to be reminded of their underachieving status.

"We think that Coach Meyer is going to be the future," senior offensive lineman Mike Degory said. "We're ready to buy into it right now. What he demands from us is a lot of responsibility, a lot of time. What he's going to reward us with is a lot of wins. That's a fair trade in my book."

Meyer is not as hard as he looks. Last year's...
    -07-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Working...
X