• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamar Gordon...season over???

Lamar Gordon: Likely Out For Season

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
    Monday, September 27, 2004
    Update: Gordon is likely out for the season after suffering a dislocated left shoulder in Sunday's game, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports.

Recommendation: Gordon will reportedly receive a second medical opinion before undergoing surgery, but this doesn't look good at all. If Travis Minor and Sammy Morris remain out, as they were in Week 3, Leonard Henry would get the start against the Jets on Sunday.

Re: Lamar Gordon...season over???

That's a shame for Gordon.

Comment

Re: Lamar Gordon...season over???

Originally posted by NickSeiler
      That's a shame for Gordon.
      Agreed, Nick.

He appears to be snakebit.

I believe in his talent, but as we discussed briefly on Rampagers earlier, his injury history keeps rearing it's ugly head. I was happy that he finally appeared to have that long term ankle problem overcome, only to get sidelined with the shoulder dislocation.

Hopefully, he can bounce back and be productive, although he may be having second thoughts after lining up behind that O-Line down in Miami.

No wonder Ricky chose smoking blunts as opposed to butting heads this year

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
        Gordon on the Mend
        by RamWraith
        riday, August 27, 2004

By Nick Wagoner
        Staff Writer

There has been no shortage of injuries to Rams’ running backs in the past few years. From the knee problems of Marshall Faulk to Arlen Harris’ slight concussion, the injuries have ranged from serious to minor. Lamar Gordon is no different from his backfield mates.

The only difference between Gordon and the other running backs is Gordon knew he was injured, but nobody else seemed to understand. Gordon complained about sharp pain in his left ankle for the better part of the past few years. He estimates that he has felt the pain since his junior year of college and had the foot looked at countless times.

A few weeks ago, the doctors finally found what Gordon knew was there all along. Gordon had what coach Mike Martz described as “chips” in his ankle that were almost undetectable. On Aug. 10, Gordon had surgery on the ankle at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital in St. Louis.

Now that Gordon has had surgery on his left foot, he is back running and edging closer to being able to play in St. Louis’ season opener against Arizona on Sept. 12. His expected recovery time was about four weeks, but Gordon seems to be progressing slightly ahead of the curve. “It feels good to really feel no pain right now,” Gordon said. “I could always feel it, but sometimes it just swelled up too bad. I know the difference between that pain and a simple cut that has to heal and that pain was gone.”

Gordon ran for the first time on Wednesday and felt good enough after that session to run again Thursday afternoon. Gordon first had his foot looked at in college at North Dakota State, but had it checked numerous times, including at the combine. The injury did not show up in any of those checks and Gordon performed well enough for the Rams to draft him in the third round of the 2002 draft.

Gordon said it was exasperating to know he was injured, but none of the tests confirming his pain.

“It was so frustrating because I know my body,” Gordon said. “I have played football for a long time, I know when something’s sore, I know when’s something hurt, but I know from watching film if something is going to be bothering me.”

Martz had his doubts about the injury, but had no way of knowing that Gordon was hurt because he couldn’t see the injury on an X-Ray and couldn’t physically feel the pain. Martz publicly apologized to Gordon after he found out the injury was real.

Gordon said Martz didn’t owe him anything, but it was nice to hear the coach do it anyway.

“I guess it was cool,” Gordon said. “I never really thought about it like that. A lot of people asked me ‘We’re you like I told you so?’ I wasn’t really like that. I was just happy that they found it and I’m excited to get back.”

INJURY UPDATES: There was little change on the injury front at Thursday’s...
        -08-27-2004, 09:35 AM
      • RamWraith
        No pain is gain as Gordon recovers from ankle surgery
        by RamWraith
        By Bill Coats
        Of the Post-Dispatch
        Sunday, Aug. 29 2004

It's been a good-news month for Rams running back Lamar Gordon.

First, he was informed that after a multitude of tests on his chronically sore
        left ankle had failed to find the source of the problem, a bone chip had been
        detected. Gordon, who had surgery Aug. 10, was both stunned and thrilled.

"I was like, 'Are you sure?'" he said. "Then I was thinking, 'This is it, this
        is it.'"

Then, Gordon enjoyed another positive development when he woke up last
        Wednesday morning, the day after he ran for the first time since the operation.
        He was essentially pain-free. "That was the biggest challenge, to see how sore
        I was going to be. And I'm feeling pretty good," Gordon said.

Feeling good was a luxury that Gordon hadn't experienced since he injured the
        ankle while he was collecting virtually all of the major rushing records at
        North Dakota State. The discomfort persisted, but doctors could detect no
        damage.

Such was the case during his first two years with the Rams. He would complain,
        exams would be made, nothing would show up.

Although Gordon was productive, rushing 136 times for 525 yards and catching 38
        passes for 337 yards in those two seasons, coach Mike Martz acknowledged that
        at times he questioned whether Gordon was tough enough for the NFL. After the
        more recent diagnosis, Martz apologized profusely for doubting him.

"It was so frustrating," said Gordon, 24. "I know my body. I've been
        playing football a long time, and I know when I'm sore or when something's
        hurting and I can get through it. But this ... I couldn't really take it
        anymore."

Gordon said that whenever he took a step, "it felt like there was something
        sharp in my foot, and I wanted to get off that foot as quick as possible."

The original prognosis was that Gordon would be out a month, and he appears to
        be on schedule. Martz said Gordon might be ready for the regular-season opener
        Sept. 12 vs. Arizona at the Edward Jones Dome.

Whether it's that Sunday or the next, Gordon simply is enjoying being able to
        move without the nagging sting in his ankle. "I was just happy that they found
        it, and I'm excited to get back," he said.

Dishman may start
        at left guard

When the Rams lured veteran Chris Dishman out of retirement last month, they
        probably figured they merely were adding depth to the offensive line. Now it
        looks as if they may have found a starter.

Dishman, 30, appears to have a solid hold on the left guard job. He played the
        -08-30-2004, 06:44 AM
      • AvengerRam_old
        Showcase of Gordon Paid Off
        by AvengerRam_old
        I'll admit... I'm surprised.

I would not have guessed that the Rams would have been able to acquire a 3rd Round pick for Gordon.

Not that Gordon doesn't have potential. He could prove to be a 1,000 yard back for the Dolphins.

But with the Rams, he was a third string back with only moderate production in the past and a recent surgery.

So how did the Rams get such a high price for him?

Obviously, part of the reason is the Dolphins' deperate need for a back after Ricky Williams decided that the grass at Pro Player Stadium does not compare to the kind you buy in Amsterdam.

But the Rams also played this one very well.

First, Martz publicly chastised himself for suggesting that Gordon was soft after it was revealed that Lamar needed surgery to remove a bone chip. While I believe that was a sincere expression of regret by Martz, he also made sure that other teams heard his confession.

Then, in the final preseason game, Gordon was deliberately showcased, as he was given the ball 24 times (22 carries, 2 receptions). He showed productivity and the ability to be a workhorse - and the Dolphins paid a higher than market value price because of this.

While the Rams could regret the trade this year if the injury bug hits, in the long run, this should be a good trade for the Rams (and, for Lamar's sake, hopefully for the Dolphins as well).
        -09-08-2004, 07:41 PM
        Lamar Gordon to Miami
        by Guest
        posibility ?
        -07-26-2004, 02:51 AM
      • RamDez
        Gordon's output bodes well for Rams' depth
        by RamDez
        Gordon's output bodes well for Rams' depth
        By Jim Thomas
        Of the Post-Dispatch
        Friday, Sep. 03 2004

The plan Thursday was to put on the uniform, see how he felt in pregame
        warmups and take it from there. Little did Lamar Gordon know he would end up
        carrying the football 22 times against Oakland.

"No, I didn't expect it, but I was kind of ready for it," Gordon said.
        "Mentally, I was ready."

Ready, because he knew the Rams wanted to emphasize the running game in their
        preseason finale.

"So I was just trying to go for it, and trying to be at my best," Gordon said.

Gordon gained 77 yards on those 22 carries, including a two-yard touchdown run
        in the fourth quarter of the Rams' 28-24 loss to the Raiders.

Gordon's career high for rushing attempts is 21, which came last Sept. 28
        against Arizona - one week after Marshall Faulk suffered a fractured hand in
        Seattle. Gordon had not carried more than 12 times in any exhibition game.
        Until Thursday, that is.

It was an amazing performance considering Gordon was just 23 days removed from
        surgery to remove bone chips from his left ankle. The original timetable called
        for Gordon to be sidelined for a month.

"I pushed myself," Gordon said. "The second day after the surgery, I felt that
        (the pain) was gone. It was still sore from the surgery, but I was in my house
        doing stuff I shouldn't have been doing. Just walking around. I was supposed to
        have a crutch. I was like: 'The surgery's a success. I can't wait to get
        back.'"

In case they'd forgotten, Gordon returned just in time to remind the coaching
        staff and front office that he can be a viable backfield option.

Faulk looked sharp on the opening drive against the Raiders, carrying three
        times and catching two passes, one a 7-yard TD reception.

"I liked what I saw from Marshall," coach Mike Martz said. "I was tempted to
        leave him in a little bit longer, because I knew we were going to try to pound
        the ball a little bit. But from what I saw, he was going fast."

Rookie Steven Jackson logged 72 yards on 12 carries against Oakland to finish
        the preseason with 323 rushing yards.

"I think it just proves to my coaching staff, and the people that were
        intrigued by Steven Jackson, it lets them know what level I'm capable of
        playing at," Jackson said.

And now comes Gordon, who ran powerfully and decisively Thursday, showing an
        occasional burst in the process.

Martz said he wanted Gordon to get a substantial workload "if he could take it.
        But the more we played him, I guess, the better he played.

-09-04-2004, 12:58 AM
      Working...
      X