Sports bar owner buys Onterrio Smith's Whizzinator for $750 at auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports bar owner buys Onterrio Smith's Whizzinator for $750 at auction

And the buyer of the 'Whizzinator' is ...
    Pioneer Press
    Updated: 08/31/2009 12:07:32 AM CDT

A sports bar owner in Mankato revealed himself Sunday as the purchaser of "The Original Whizzinator," and he said he intends to use the device that made Onterrio Smith infamous to raise the profile of his own establishment.

"I want to be the new training camp headquarters for the Vikings," said Matt Little, the owner of Buster's Sports Bar & Grill in Mankato.

The Whizzinator will be encased in glass at his bar's memorabilia section next to jerseys of two Twin Cities sports superstars, Adrian Peterson and Justin Morneau.

Little recalled his reaction when he heard the Shakopee Auction Center was going to sell the device, which Smith was caught possessing at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport in May 2005.

"I thought, 'You got to be kidding me,' " Little said.

But Little, who had a prior engagement, was determined to take ownership of the device, recruiting a purchaser and giving him a $1,000 budget.

Little had someone place the winning bid of $750 for him Friday night at the Shakopee Auction Center.

Now Little wants to reunite the Whizzinator with its original owner.

"I got a guy who knows Onterrio, so we want to do a reunion," he said. "How classic would that be?"

— Sean Jensen

Re: Sports bar owner buys Onterrio Smith's Whizzinator for $750 at auction

A sports bar owner in Mankato revealed himself Sunday as the purchaser of "The Original Whizzinator," and he said he intends to use the device that made Onterrio Smith infamous to raise the profile of his own establishment.

"I want to be the new training camp headquarters for the Vikings," said Matt Little, the owner of Buster's Sports Bar & Grill in Mankato.
    I'm not sure about raising the profile of his establishment, lowering it is more likely. And somehow I don't think his whizzinator will be any type of enticement for the Vikings.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Comment

Re: Sports bar owner buys Onterrio Smith's Whizzinator for $750 at auction

"Hey man, where you wanna go eat?"

"I don't know man."

"Hey! How about that place with the Original Whizzinator?"

"Heck yeah! Let's go!"

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MACD
        Our beloved owner....
        by MACD
        http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/08/sports-moguls-estate-forcing-out-north-texas-lake-residents/88425076/

Sports mogul's estate forcing out North Texas lake residents

USA TODAY NETWORKPatrick Johnston, The (Wichita Falls, Texas) Times Record7:06 p.m. EDT August 8, 2016
        (Photo: Patrick Johnston, The (Wichita Falls, Texas) Times Record News)
        DUNDEE, Texas — It wasn’t the mail Billy Butlerexpected to open on Friday for his birthday, even if he had a suspicion after seeing a notice on the Cara Blanca Park community board.

The letter, mailed from a law office he couldn’t remember, put the nail in the coffin:

“W.T. Waggoner Estate, Inc., ... has decided to change the use of the land in Cara Blanca Park on February 1, 2017 and return the lake shoreline to its natural, uninhabited landscape to support and improve the microecosystem in and around Lake Diversion.”

It meant that people who had homes on Lake Diversion in North Texas would lose them. The new owner of the historic Waggoner Ranch wants them gone.

“I heard about it the night before, so I kind of knew it was coming,” Butler, a 17-year resident of the lake, said. “People keep asking me where I’m going to go and I haven’t had a chance to think about it. I just don’t know.”

He’d watched his daughter, now 20, grow up on this lake and couldn’t wait to raise his son, who was born a year-and-a-half ago.

Now, with a one-page letter, those dreams and the life he planned for his family were gone in an instant.

USA TODAY

Great Lakes group backs Waukesha lake water diversion

“We do have pictures — thank God for that,” Butler said. “ ... I’m so devastated and still in shock. It’ll probably set in next week. Right now, I just don’t know. I mean, I’m losing my home.”

He and a couple of hundred other residents are left to sort through what to do next — residents like Paul Appel, a Vietnam War veteran with several medical issues and a fixed income.

“I’m in poor health and will be 73 in three months,” said Appel, who retired to the lake 16 years ago. “I can’t do very much and will have to get some help somewhere to move everything.”

While he has two adult children who live in Dallas, Appel is struggling to figure out what to do with a “lifetime worth of stuff” packed inside three storage sheds and a sun room.

His home — two mobile homes in an L-shape — could be relocated to new land, but he doesn’t have the money for the transportation or the new property.

“I have no idea where I’m going to go,” Appel said. “I have no money and I’m on Social Security and disability. I live month-to-month and can’t afford rent anywhere.”

Although Lake Diversion is owned by Wichita County Water Improvement District No. 2 and the City of Wichita Falls, it sits on ranchland recently purchased...
        -08-09-2016, 05:39 AM
      • RamWraith
        If Rams ever call, Checketts will listen
        by RamWraith
        By Bernie Miklasz
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        Thursday, Oct. 09 2008
        Dave Checketts, owner of the St. Louis Rams?

When Checketts, the Blues' CEO, made a guest appearance on my KSLG (1380 AM)
        radio show Wednesday, I asked him if he'd be interested in purchasing the Rams.

Rams Chairman Chip Rosenbloom has said he's in no hurry to sell and would like
        to keep the team. But if Rosenbloom had to sell, he told me he would try to
        place the franchise in good hands and wants the new owner to be committed to
        keeping the team in St. Louis.

Could Checketts be that candidate?

If given an opportunity, would Checketts step up and attempt to make a deal
        with Rosenbloom?

"The answer is absolutely," Checketts said. "We love St. Louis. It's a great
        NFL franchise. There are some real hurdles ahead with it. I'm more interested
        in doing the right thing for St. Louis than I am necessarily being the owner of
        the Rams.

"I think Chip's having discussions with a lot of different people. I don't
        think he's decided exactly what he wants to do, but if and when he decides to
        sell I hope I get a call."

As Checketts indicated, there would be obstacles.

The Rams' sale price would probably fall between $800 million and $1 billion.
        If Stan Kroenke retained his 40 percent ownership share, the new majority
        partner would have to fund 60 percent of the purchase price. Yes, a new owner
        could recruit partners, but under NFL rules the lead owner must control at
        least 30 percent of the franchise.

Though Checketts' personal worth is unclear, it's doubtful that he has the kind
        of financial clout required to own an NFL franchise. In theory, Checketts could
        put together a group headed by a "silent" majority partner — a big-money
        investor who has little interest in being the front man for the franchise.

And in that setup, Checketts would fit as the chief executive. He's operated
        successful sports businesses, including the NBA Utah Jazz and New York Knicks.
        Under Checketts' leadership, the Blues are quickly rebuilding their fan base
        and popularity. When Checketts ran Madison Square Garden in New York, the arena
        prospered. Checketts also started up the profitable MSG sports network.

NFL rules barring cross ownership wouldn't apply to Checketts. He owns a pro
        soccer franchise, in Utah, Real Salt Lake. But since there is no NFL team in
        Salt Lake City, Checketts is cleared to be an NFL owner in St. Louis. It's the
        same reason Paul Allen can own the NFL Seattle Seahawks and the NBA Portland
        Trailblazers; the Blazers do not compete with an NFL team in Portland.

Kroenke, however, has a problem. The NFL won't...
        -10-09-2008, 04:27 AM
      • RamsFan16
        **NEWS** Possible new OWNER candidate
        by RamsFan16
        On Team 1380 Dave Checketts, owner of the Blues was on and the team asked if he would be interested in buying the Rams.

Checketts responded by saying ABSOLUTELY.

Saying how not only would he want to own and help the Rams out but do whats best for St. Louis and keep the Rams.

Said that Chips been having a lot of conversations and that when Chip decides to actually sell the team. Dave Checketts said he really hopes Chip calls him.

I'm listening to him right now on 1380 (Checketts) and he says a lot of the right things. Like this guy.
        Dave Checketts

Thoughts?...
        -10-08-2008, 03:25 PM
      • Varg6
        Diversity, money are key issues with Khan's Rams bid
        by Varg6
        Per stltoday.com

By Bernie...

Now that Shahid Khan has signed off on a deal to purchase majority ownership of the Rams, it will be fascinating to watch how the NFL receives him.

If approved by NFL owners, Khan would become the first minority owner in control of a franchise in league history.

Khan, born in Pakistan, came to the U.S. in 1967 at age 16. He became a U.S. citizen, was educated at the University of Illinois, built a hugely successful auto-parts manufacturing company, raised a family and has lived in central Illinois for 40 years.

But we're reminded that the NFL is a private club, with only 32 lead owners/members. That point was underlined in a story that appeared in Saturday's Post-Dispatch.

This passage caught my attention: "As one observer familiar with the process emphasized, it's more than just a matter of money. Using the analogy of an exclusive tennis club, the observer said, 'Do you like him enough to invite him to join your club? And if so, can he afford to pay the dues?'''

I think it's ridiculous that we're even having this discussion. But Khan's application certainly will be a matter of keen interest for those who want to see if the NFL is truly inclusive at the highest level.

I believe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is a man of integrity. I would be absolutely shocked if Khan is treated less than fairly by the NFL or the owners. And if Khan's finances check out, he should be fine. (More on that later.) I would think the NFL would be proud to open the doors to its inner sanctum to Khan — an ambitious, self-made man who represents the American dream.

After all, Goodell spoke out against popular radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh when Limbaugh briefly partnered with Dave Checketts in a bid to buy the Rams.

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay also denounced Limbaugh; Irsay happens to be a member of the NFL Finance Committee, which will review Khan.

After taking Limbaugh to task for making "divisive" comments, Goodell was challenged by a member of Congress during an appearance on Capitol Hill.

Goodell responded, in part, with this: "The NFL is about bringing people together, it's about unity and that we do not — we do not move toward divisive actions. And, in fact, our teams, I think, have demonstrated that both on and off the field. Nothing brings a team and a community together better than the NFL."

The NFL received a "B" — its best grade ever — in the 2009 Race and Gender Report Card issued by the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport (TIDES). The NFL had five minority general managers and six minority head coaches in 2009. But in its report, TIDES also pointed out that "no person of color has ever held majority ownership of an NFL team." And according to TIDES, no minority...
        -02-14-2010, 01:18 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Not-So-Odd Couple: Checketts & Limbaugh
        by r8rh8rmike
        Not-so-odd couple: Checketts & Limbaugh

Columnist Jeff Gordon
        By Jeff Gordon
        STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
        10/06/2009

Dave Checketts and Rush Limbaugh form an interesting tag team in their mutual quest to gain ownership of the St. Louis Rams.

Checketts is an established deal-maker. He knows how to raise capital and create successful business partnerships.

He earns high marks for his stewardship of the Blues franchise. His work with that team gained him great credibility in this market.

He and his people took over a woeful hockey team and painstakingly built a successful organization, brick by brick. They hired the right people and turned them loose. They revived fan support for the franchise by working tirelessly on the marketing and public relations front.

He and his people developed a plan, stuck with it and delivered on their promise to build a Stanley Cup contender. The Blues got back into the playoffs last season and appear positioned to take a deeper run this postseason.

Limbaugh has a lot of money, good business sense and useful experience in the sports industry. Back before he became a huge talk-radio star, he worked the front lines for a successful Kansas City Royals franchise.

In those days, the Royals ran a model operation. The franchise regularly drew 2 million fans (a good number in those days) with a grass roots season-ticket initiative and a successful group sales program.

Ewing Kauffman was a remarkable owner, even visionary in some respects. His baseball and business staffs were first rate. He hired good people and let them do their jobs.

Limbaugh had a hand in those glory days. Anybody working in such a successful franchise learns a great deal about succeeding in a tough business.

As the frontman for an NFL ownership group, though, Limbaugh would face challenges. His aggressive political views could become an issue with segments of the fan base.

Limbaugh once made comments about Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb that caused a PR firestorm. He proved too controversial to fill a role on NFL telecasts.

Can you imagine how much fuss he could cause by speaking his mind as an NFL owner?

Remaining politically incorrect has served Limbaugh well. Love him or hate him, Limbaugh creates compelling radio.

He has built an enormous following. His fans expect him to speak his mind and hurt some feelings. Limbaugh plays the provocateur role to the hilt.

This is why Checketts -- or another commanding individual that Checketts would help recruit -- would serve this group well as the frontman.

With somebody else out front dealing with the media, the general public and the league, Limbaugh could enjoy the many benefits of NFL ownership without having to tone down his act....
        -10-06-2009, 03:30 PM
      Working...
      X