PFT: Holt unhappy in Jacksonville?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: Holt unhappy in Jacksonville?

Torry Holt unhappy with playcalling in Jacksonville?
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 21, 2009 1:43 PM ET

In last dark days of the Scott Linehan era in St. Louis, wide receiver Torry Holt often voiced his displeasure about the team's play-calling; sometimes right to Linehan's face.

Holt has a new team this year in Jacksonville, but he's reportedly still not happy.

Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union tweeted Sunday night that Holt was "screaming about some [play] calls" Sunday as if he was talking to himself, but clearly loud enough for everyone to hear.

Wright credits multiple sources that Holt was on the "verge of going off" about the Jaguars struggles. Wright told PFT Monday that his sources believe Holt is too savvy to complain about the issues publicly. (Good for Holt. And the Jaguars. It does not appear that they are worried about him being a malcontent.)

With that said, it's clear there is already some frustration bubbling underneath the surface of Jacksonville's 0-2 start. The passing game has been inept, due to poor pass protection, some inaccurate David Garrard throws, drops, and a lack of quality receivers.

Holt was a franchise legend in St. Louis, but it's questionable whether he is in the position to gripe in Jacksonville. The 11-year pro has nine catches for 112 yards in two games -- not bad -- but he doesn't scare defenses any more. Holt didn't create a lot of separation on his routes in his Week One performance. (Haven't watched the Cardinals game yet.)

Two of Jacksonville's top four receivers Sunday won't play again with the team this season, so Holt is going to be relied upon heavily the rest of the way.

Re: PFT: Holt unhappy in Jacksonville?

Not surprising at all to me. Tory overvalued himself in free agency. The contending teams that needed receiver help (ie jets and giants) didnt want him. He has slowed quite a bit because of the knee and while still capable of being a solid possession receiver, is no longer an all pro caliber guy. There is no shame in that, he has had an amazing career, but i believe that he thought he was going to get a lot more money and attention than he did when he left the rams. We would have been better off letting go of Holt sooner (when he had some trade value) and holding onto Bruce an extra couple of years. Bruce is as good as holt at this point (and has been for a couple of years) and costs an awful less money.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Man although Holt is not the best WR out there anymore, I wish we still had him. He could further mentor Avery and Burton, and we all know how thin we are at the WR position.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
        Man although Holt is not the best WR out there anymore, I wish we still had him. He could further mentor Avery and Burton, and we all know how thin we are at the WR position.

I respectfully disagree.

Torry's play making on the field may be missed but his mouth would have been more detrimental to our young receiving core. They need to step up and execute the system... not question it.

I don't think this was a big consideration for Spags but with hindsight 20/20 I think we are better in the long haul for severing ties.

Comment

Whatever happens with Holt for the rest of his Career..he will always be remembered as one of the great wideouts...just like when Rice left the Niners..he probably wont ever get great numbers again..but that shouldnt take away from the fact that he`s had a great career and should be inshrined in Canton not long after he becomes eligible.

Probably in the top 6 Rams wideouts of all time..(tho i didnt get to see them all due to my age..)

Comment

Rambunctious is correct. There is no evidence to suggest that Holt did any mentoring of any of the young Ram wide receivers last year and criticism of the coach is not a good example for anyone. An all time great ram receiver for sure, but the time had come, absent a decision to take a big big pay cut, which obviously wasnt going to happen.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I wish the Rams still had Holt. More to that end turn Holt into a clutch-3rd down reciever. With that kinda reciever on 3rd down because of his hands, other option open up, like slipping a TE in the void on 3rd and short, or a sling pass to Sjackson on 3rd & 5 and dare I say it a screen pass on 3rd and long???

An opponent just can't ignore or place an average CB on a T. Holt on 3rd down

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MikeB1603
                Giving Up on Holt?
                by MikeB1603
                There seem to be a growing number of people that sound displeased with Torry Holt this year. But has he really lost anything? He may be a step slower than years before but I never saw him as a burner anyway. His route running is what got him hall of fame credentials and he is still fine in that department. Holt is a smart receiver and he can adjust to his abilities to become a better player than before. I expect big things from "Big Game" on Sunday against the Cardinals.
                -10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
              • RamWraith
                Holt Handling Frustration
                by RamWraith
                Friday, October 31, 2008

By Nick Wagoner
                Senior Writer

For the better part of his career, Torry Holt has been one of, if not the, lynchpins of the Rams offense.

In terms of statistics, Holt has been one of the most prolific and productive receivers of all time. Even when plagued by an ailing knee in 2007, Holt still found a way to catch 93 passes for 1,189 yards and seven touchdowns.

This season, Holtís production has dropped dramatically. Through seven games, Holt has 26 catches for 289 yards. Thatís good enough to lead the team in receptions and Holt has been targeted more than any other receiver with 48 targets.

But itís also his lowest output in terms of touches since his rookie season when he had 19 catches in the first seven games.

Admittedly and for the first time in his career, Holt is frustrated by the lack of opportunities.

ďAbsolutely,Ē Holt said. ďYou go from getting as many touches and opportunities that Iíve had in the past to not nearly as many, yeah, itís a sense of frustration.Ē

In his previous nine seasons in the league, Holt has averaged 37.4 catches through the first seven games of the season.

So, with those numbers in mind, whatís the reason for the drop off in production?

Depending on who you ask there are a variety of reasons Holt hasnít been as active in the passing game.

Coach Jim Haslett believes that opponents are rolling coverages up on Holt more than ever and that the extra man in coverage has made it hard to get him the ball but heís still been thrown to more than anyone on the team.

ďI would be disappointed in Torry if he felt that he couldnít contribute to this team,Ē Haslett said. ďWeíll continue to try to find ways to get Torry the ball.Ē

Holt says while that might be true, itís not the first time heís seen that type of coverage.

ďI think I am still getting open,Ē Holt said. ďI donít think you can go from what I did last year, the year before coming off knee surgery and come to this year and all of a sudden just be (crummy). I donít think it happens that way, not with the way I work and how passionate I am about the game of football. I think itís just a situation where obviously Iím getting doubled but Iíve beaten double teams plenty of times throughout the course of my career.Ē

Perhaps more than the amount of times the ball has been thrown his way, Holtís issues stem from being used in a different way than heís used to.

Holt has long been known for his precise route running ability, particularly the type of vertical routes and deep ins that have long been his hallmark.

This year, though, Holt hasnít been the target of many of those deep passes. Holt has been targeted beyond 20 yards just six times with his lone catch being the 45-yard touchdown catch against...
                -11-01-2008, 05:10 AM
              • RamsFan16
                Torry Holt - Big Game, Big Impact
                by RamsFan16
                nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=5209

Alisa Jacobs
                NFLPLAYERS.COM
                06/06/2006

Torry Holt is not your typical reserved middle child. Torry Holt isn't your typical diva wide receiver either. Frankly, Torry Holt is anything but typical. The outspoken, outgoing overachiever has carved a serious name for himself (and some less serious nicknames) on the field and in the community. He's confident, not conceited, and he's got plenty of reasons. Like 98 receptions for 1,291 receiving yards and nine touchdowns in 2005. And an average of ten touchdowns every season since he joined the St. Louis Rams as the number six draft pick in 1999. That same year, Holt began a foundation that has made big plays for cancer families in memory of his late mother.

The son of Odell Shoffner and Ojetta Holt-Shoffner, Torry Holt grew up in Gibsonville, North Carolina with older sister Tosha and younger brother Terrance. Born with his nose to the grindstone and his eyes on the prize, Holt pulled tobacco as a child to earn money with which he bought his first pair of cleats. At the age of 7, Holt took these values and discipline to the football field. There, he unleashed his winning attitude and personality.

From a young age, Holt was a ham - no pork pun intended, of course. "Hot Dog was the nickname I developed when I was young lil' shorty. When I would score my touchdowns in football and score my points in basketball, I had a habit of expressing myself by showing off or showing up the other team - good-natured gloating." Holt says an uncle came up with the name, and it stuck.

Holt stands by his shenanigans. He says he enjoys watching the other players celebrate - that is, when they're not scoring against him. Holt acknowledges players have to stay in the game, stay focused, and do what they have to do, but also have fun, express themselves. But even Holt draws the line at props. He says, "Some guys have brought the old school victory dance to a whole new level. I am all for celebrating with your team, but the excessiveness like planting props in the end zone is a little extreme."

These days, Hot Dog Holt goes by another hotshot pseudonym: Big Game. He's been "Big Game" since his senior year in college. A couple of his buddies claimed he had a knack for nabbing big plays in the big games. The new nickname was catchy and accurate, and followed the receiver into the league.

Holt has evolved behaviorally on the field. As a young buck, he admits he relied heavily on his speed and athletic talent. Now, he is older, wiser, and better. His experience and acquired maturity have slowed him down and smartened him up. He still has fun on the field, but he considers himself more patient, more pragmatic, and less erratic. As the seasoned Holt has described it,...
                -06-06-2006, 03:44 PM
              • RamWraith
                Holt not as healthy as we think??
                by RamWraith
                This is from Fanball.com

Rams: Holt might have a torn ligament

11/11/05 01:43 PM
                THE NEWS
                Rams wide receiver Torry Holt's knee injury might be more serious than he's been letting on. Team officials described the injury as a bruised knee, but Holt later told reporters that he had a sprained ligament. Now, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that sources confirmed that he has a torn ligament. Nevertheless, he has practiced all week and is still targeting Sunday for his return.
                Our View
                At this point, it appears Holt will play against the Seahawks. He plans to make an official decision on his playing status on Saturday, so we'll let you know what he decides once that information is released.
                -11-11-2005, 10:53 AM
                Holt not Elite anymore???
                by Guest
                Where does Torry Holt belong on draft boards? What do you expect from him this season? -- D. Gill, Pittsburgh, Pa.

Michael Fabiano: Holt has fallen from the elite wideouts in fantasy football, but he's still quite valuable. In fact, the veteran out of North Carolina State should still be seen as a borderline No. 1 or 2 fantasy wideout. He has posted at least 93 receptions and close to 10 touchdowns in each of his past five seasons, and the return of a healthy Marc Bulger should mean another solid season in 2008. Based on his past success, Holt should be guaranteed to produce 90-plus catches, 1,100-1,300 yards and seven to nine touchdowns. He should come off the board in the first half of the middle rounds of most drafts.

ok if holt was to post those numbers, wouldnt he be elite? I am tired of these ONE year wonders passing over torry holt. Like Braylon edwards.. It sickens me.. doesnt anybody know the true term for consistancy?
                -07-16-2008, 07:25 PM
              Working...
              X