X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RamWraith
    • Mar 2001

Williams Wants to Return

Unreal! This guy should not be allowed back! In other words he is broke and needs some cash.

Dolphins | Williams Wants to Return - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:11:39 -0700

Updating ongoing reports, ESPN's John Clayton reports retired Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams is looking to find out what his status is with the league in terms of where he stands in his retirement and the league's substance abuse program. According to Clayton, it appears Williams has had a "reality check" now that he's toured the world. He is looking to clarify everything to find out whether or not – and possibly when – he could return to the NFL with the Dolphins.
  • Nick
    Rams Nation MVP
    • May 2004

Re: Williams Wants to Return

Hard to pay for the stash when you're not earning that weekly paycheck.

Comment

• AvengerRam_old
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2004

But, will the Dolphins welcome him back, or will they be concerned about his stability? You know what they say, here today, ganga tommorow!

Comment

• Nick
        Rams Nation MVP
        • May 2004

Originally posted by AvengerRam
        You know what they say, here today, ganga tommorow!
        OOOOOOOH SNAP!!!

Won't Williams have to sit out a year anyways because of his third substance abuse violation though?

Comment

I think the Hippie lettuce has really taken over! :redface:

Comment

• txramsfan
            • May 2001

As we as Rams fans know all to well......fans are forgiving if you produce. Ricky produces. He will catch some heck early, but just wait till he busts one of his long runs on someone.

Comment

• adarian_too
              • May 2004

Before Williams tries to reenter the NFL, I suggest he has his supplier's manufacturing facilities tested for contamination. No respectable weed produces such confusion ... his batch should be recalled like Vioxx ...

Comment

• Shadesofgrey

Originally posted by txramsfan
                As we as Rams fans know all to well......fans are forgiving if you produce. Ricky produces. He will catch some heck early, but just wait till he busts one of his long runs on someone.
                That's what I hate about the NFL...Who cares if the guy is a worthless piece of crap...as long as he makes big plays then it is OK...ahem L Little...It sets a bad precedent for young athletes all over the country

Comment

• rampower
                  • Apr 2001

dont hate the NFL for it, hate us, the fans, if we didn't put such a high price on winning (people calling for coaches heads if they lose 2 or 3 games in a row) and started booing players who are criminals/immoral then teams wont play them. Its the fans that have made it what it is.
                  The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

• Nick
                    Rams Nation MVP
                    • May 2004

The Dolphins reportedly want to trade Ricky if he does come back. I can only imagine what they'll get.

Comment

• UtterBlitz
                      • May 2004

I am not impressed. To make a decision to leave is a statement. To come crawling back after taking a good look thru the ol checkbook is just plain silly. Apparently Ricky does not know much about planning for the future.
                      sigpic

Comment

• evil disco man
                        • Nov 2001

I believe Ricky will have to serve a four-month suspension if he comes back, unless he works something out with the league. Of course the Dolphins want to trade him - they're not about to let him F them over again, especially since that seems to be recurring (New Orleans). I'd love to see him play for the Raiders. It just sounds so perfect.

Comment

I would not want him anywhere NEAR my team, period, I don't care how good he is.

Pay $8 million or GET PAID $8 million, seems like an easy decision.

Comment

• RealRam
                            • Jun 2001

RW ... two words: "stay away". :tough:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                              Williams turns down offer to serve suspension, return in '05
                              by Nick
                              Williams turns down offer to serve suspension, return in '05

MIAMI - Ricky Williams rejected a deal that would have allowed him to serve a four-game drug suspension this season and return to the NFL next year.

"Ricky indicated to me that he is no longer interested in resuming his career at this time," Williams' lawyer, David Cornwell, said in a statement e-mailed to the Associated Press on Thursday.

The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner needed to let the league know by Thursday so he could be moved from the retired list to the suspended list by the deadline. He would have served the suspension for the Miami Dolphins' final four games, starting Dec. 12 at Denver.

"David Cornwell informed our office that Ricky Williams has declined to accept the terms of his reinstatement," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene wouldn't comment, saying the matter is between Williams and the NFL.

Williams, 27, stunned his team by retiring shortly before Miami opened training camp in July. The Dolphins filed a lawsuit in federal court against the running back, seeking the $8.6 million an arbitrator ruled he owes the team for breaching his contract. Williams is fighting the decision.

He is now enrolled in a 17-month course at the California College of Ayurveda in Grass Valley, Calif., studying holistic medicine.

The talks to allow Williams back into the league involved a promise to return to the field next season and to re-enter the NFL drug program immediately, including being tested on a regular basis.

"The NFL sought assurances that Ricky is indeed committed to playing," Cornwell said.

Williams gave up the $5 million he would have earned this season, which would have been his sixth in the NFL, amid reports he faced suspension for substance abuse.

He rushed for 3,225 yards in two seasons with the Dolphins, including a league-leading 1,853 yards in 2002. Miami acquired him from New Orleans after the 2001 season.

But without Williams, the Dolphins have gone into a tailspin. They're 2-9 and will finish with a losing record for the first time since 1988.

Williams has social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for an anti-depressant. He said marijuana helped him after he stopped using the anti-depressant....
                              -12-04-2004, 10:15 AM
                            • Nick
                              Ricky Williams loses appeal and will be suspended for one year
                              by Nick
                              Dolphins | Williams loses appeal
                              Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:10:31 -0700

Jason Cole, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams lost his appeal of a fourth violation of the NFL substance-abuse policy and will be suspended for one year, according to a source. Williams was informed by the NFL Tuesday, April 25. Williams will now miss the entire 2006 season. He can apply for reinstatement after that.
                              -04-25-2006, 04:21 PM
                            • Nick
                              Ricky Williams coming back already?
                              by Nick
                              Dolphins | R. Williams Already Considering Comeback? - from www.KFFL.com
                              Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:53:20 -0700

Ethan J. Skolnick and Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, report former Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams called head coach Dave Wannstedt earlier this week and is considering a comeback in the future. It's believed Williams broached the subject of returning to the Dolphins if they met certain conditions – including renegotiation of his contract. A return in 2004 would be unlikely unless Williams were to register a favorable appeal with NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.
                              -08-26-2004, 06:54 AM
                            • ZigZagRam
                              SHOCKING: Ricky Williams Retires!
                              by ZigZagRam
                              Pre-camp decision stuns Dolphins

ESPN.com news services
                              Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has told the team he plans to retire after just five NFL seasons, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site early Sunday morning.

"He wants to get on with his life, wants to move on to bigger and better things," Herald reporter and ESPN commentator Dan Le Betard told SportsCenter.

According to the Herald's report, Williams wants to travel the world and is tired of the demands and restraints of a professional football career.

"I just don't want to be in this business anymore," Williams told the paper. "I was never strong enough to not play football, but I'm strong enough now. I've considered everything about this. Everyone has thrown every possible scenario at me about why I shouldn't do this, but they're in denial. I'm happy with my decision.

"I'm finally free. I can't remember ever being this happy."

According to Le Batard, the Dolphins are stunned by the news and members of the organization are still trying to talk Williams out of his decision, one the Herald says should be finalized this week when Williams faxes his retirement papers to the league.

Williams was scheduled to make $3.7 million in each of the 2004 and '05 seasons, and $11.25 million in 2006, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported.

Last season, Williams rushed for 1,372 yards on 392 carries, averaging 3.5 yards. He has rushed for 1,000 or more yards in four of his five NFL seasons with the New Orleans Saints and the Dolphins, tallying 6,354 for his career. Williams also had 1,806 receiving yards on 229 catches.

Williams reportedly tested positive for marijuana on Dec. 10, 2003, and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for the second time.

The Saints traded virtually their 1999 entire draft to move up to No. 5 overall to take Williams, a Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Texas.
                              -07-24-2004, 11:30 PM
                            • RamsFan16
                              Dolphins | Williams being considered for unusual advertisements
                              by RamsFan16
                              Dolphins | Williams being considered for unusual advertisements
                              Sun, 12 Feb 2006 06:33:08 -0800

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams is mulling two unusual offers for advertisements: (1) People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants him to become a national spokesman after hearing him say he never eats anything ''with a face.'' (2) Las Vegas asked him to star in one of those ''what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas'' ads.
                              -02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
                            Working...
                            X