Any Given Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Given Sunday?

As of week 7, we have 11 teams at 2-4 or worse. What's worse is that collectively, these 11 teams have only managed to beat Buffalo (twice), NY Jets, and Philadelphia. The rest of their wins have come against each other. If bad teams hadn't gotten to play each other in match-ups like Carolina vs. Washington, we'd have 8 winless teams at this point.

I think it's fair to say that Tennessee, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, Cleveland, Seattle, and Carolina are all still in the running for the title of "Worst Team in the League". Miami is the only team on the 2-4 (or less) list that still looks like it might be able to turn the season around. These days, bad teams only beat other bad teams.

Is it just me or is there an unusually high number of really awful teams this year?

Related Topics

Collapse

• djccon
    In case you're worried...
    by djccon
    What do all of these #s mean?

Baltimore 2-3
    Miami 2-5
    New England 2-3
    New York 3-4
    Oakland 1-2
    Pittsburgh 3-1

Chicago 3-3
    Green Bay 4-1
    Philadelphia 1-3
    SF 3-3
    St. Louis 6-1
    Tampa 3-5

If you haven't figured it out yet, these are all the playoff teams' records against OTHER playoff teams this season.

To ME they mean everyone but Tampa, Miami, NYJ, and WE played relatively soft schedules, and of the Tampa, Miami, NYJ and US, only WE were dominant against playoff teams. I fear NONE of the remaining teams, but have concerns with SF (because we've beaten them twice this season and they may be extra pumped), GB (because they're fairly balanced on offense), and Pittsburgh because they're so schoolyard.

If we turn it over fewer than 3 times in ANY game against ANY of the remaining teams, we'll be celebrating in February. I would LOVE to get Chicago in the championship so they can be exposed for the phonies they are. Wimpy-a** schedule and only 3-3 against playoff teams - and needed a ton of luck to get THAT!

As long as KW stays patient, we don't get careless with the ball, and April's fools (a.k.a. special teams - or should I say NOT-so special teams?) give even a slightly-better-than average performance...

Regardless of what happens, there is no doubt in my mind we ARE the best team in football, and the only team capable of beating us, is us.
    -01-13-2002, 12:57 PM
  • Atlas
    Good Analysis, DJRamFan
    by Atlas
    Power Rankings - week 12

Here are my thoughts on the teams, thus far... :nerd:

Power Rankings - week 12

1.) St. Louis- The result of many years of human gene splicing from the DNA of Dick Butkus and Johnny Unitas.

2.) San Francisco- Crimson Elite returns to dynasty form with Garcia at helm.

3.) Pittsburgh- Playing better then they have since Bradshaw, Las Vegas odds increase each week on the likelihood of the return of Kordell Stewart after aliens kidnap him.

4.) Chicago- Good defense+average offense= fan let down during playoffs. The Law of Nature states that the Ravens can only happen every ten years or so. No flukes this year for the "big game."

5.) Oakland- This team would go to the Super bowl except for the defense allowing my grandmother to run on them. Expect the Bus to shut them down in the Championship.

6.) Miami- Good defense... Where's Marino just when he would have a team that could win it all with him??!!

7.) Green Bay- Favre returns to top form and basically carries his team to the playoffs. Green would not be doing as well as he has without the threat of "The Arm."

8.) Baltimore- Defense is only above average, this year. Can't stop the passing game. Grbac=good passing game until the "red zone." Increased pressure there and compact passing lanes expose him to mediocrity.

9.) New England- Brady will be great, but lack of real experience will hurt him in the playoffs as games get MEAN. Maybe next year, huh?

10.) Philadelphia- McNabb needs to run more in the pocket. They need another quality receiver to compliment Thrash. Because of that, they won't go far in the post season.

11.) NY Jets- Curtis Martin is THE MAN and can anyone honestly say they DON'T like Edwards??... Other then that, this team really does suck. I love Vinny, but they need a new quarterback.

12.) Tampa Bay- Green Bay getting in the way of the post season. I always knew Brad Johnson was overrated. Thanks, Brad, for proving me right. It's a real shame that Tony will get blamed for the underachieving of his players.

13.) Cleveland- I really feel that Baltimore can't run the table. Baltimore WILL lose to the Steelers. Tough games up ahead will knock the Ravens out, while a weak schedule pushes the Browns in.

14.) Seattle- Another year of lost post season hopes for Holmgren. But, look out for them next year.

15.) New Orleans- Potential Kryptonite for the "Super Rams". The Rams don't have to worry though... With both San Francisco AND St. Louis both doing great, they don't have a prayer.

16.) Tennessee- At the beginning of the year, I predicted that the Titans' passing game would break out... A little too late, don't you think guys??

17.)...
    -12-06-2001, 05:48 PM
  • RamsSB99
    Here is what it takes to wrap up the #2 seed.
    by RamsSB99
    This was spurred on per General Counsels thread I just wanted to lay it out and attempt to clarify it after having done some homework.

Both KC and the Rams have the exact same strength of schedule going into week 17.

Opponents won - loss - ties
    KC 128-111-1
    Rams 128-111-1

Rams need teams they played to lose which says they had an easier schedule and giving them the tiebreaker and higher pick.

The teams that both KC and the Rams played the same amount of times can be thrown out. Because each will receive either a win or a loss based on that team outcome.

That leaves these not-common opponents for each:
    KC:
    Oakland (2 games)
    Denver (2 games)
    SD (2 games)
    Carolina
    Tennessee
    Tampa Bay
    New Orleans
    Cincinnati

Rams:
    Seattle (2 games)
    Arizona (2 games)
    San Francisco (2 games)
    Philadelphia
    New York Giants
    Washington
    Dallas
    Chicago

Since Denver plays SD both teams that KC played twice KC will receive two wins and two losses for the outcome of that game. Since Seattle plays AZ both teams that the Rams played twice the Rams will receive two wins and two losses for the outcome of that game. Therefore those games cancel each other and we don't care about those 4 teams.

Since Carolina plays NO both teams that KC played once KC will receive 1 win and 1 loss for the outcome of that game. Since Dallas plays Phily both teams that the Rams played once the Rams will receive 1 win and 1 loss for the outcome of that game. Therefore those games cancel each other and we don't care about those 4 teams.

That leaves us with these teams that make a difference in our pursuit of the 2nd Draft Pick:

KC:
    Oakland (2 games)
    Tennessee
    Tampa Bay
    Cincinnati

Rams:
    San Francisco (2 games)
    New York Giants
    Washington
    Chicago

The above games are the only game we care about and we want to see the teams under the Rams lose and the teams under KC win. Since KC played Oakland twice and the Rams played SF twice then each would either receive two wins or two losses depending on whether the team they played won or lost.

The following are record of the teams we are concerned with and who they play:

KC:
    Oakland (2 games) 4-11 @ Tampa Bay 9-6
    Tennessee 13-2 @ Indy 11-4
    Tampa Bay 9-6 vs. Oakland 4-11
    Cincinnati 3-11 vs. KC 2-13

Rams:
    San Francisco (2 games) 6-9 vs. Washington 8-7
    New York Giants 12-3 @ Minnesota 9-6
    Washington 8-7 @ San Francisco 6-9
    Chicago 9-6 @ Houston 7-8

If KC loses then that benefits the Rams strength of schedule because it gives their opponent an extra win. Since KC and Rams had identical strength of schedule going in that gives the Rams a slight...
    -12-26-2008, 11:03 AM
  • NJ Ramsfan1
    7 teams in worse shape than the Rams
    by NJ Ramsfan1
    While I am not convinced we've "turned the corner" (it will take several more performances like the past two weeks to convince me as such...) I am VERY hopeful we could be headed in the right direction- and whenever I'm feeling down or angry, I try to remember it could be even worse: we could be one of these teams:

WORSE THAN THE RAMS:

1. Oakland- They top the list. The Raiders are an unqualified disaster- from top to bottom. They have an owner once revered for his football acumen who is now regarded as a clueless meddler. They've run through coaches like people go thru socks. They've drafted poorly. They have a QB in whom they've invested a lot of time and money who completely stinks. Their coach is a guy many feel shouldn't have been handed the job and is now under scrutiny for his treatment of women and for decking an assistant coach. And it's been this way since their Super Bowl appearance vs. Tampa Bay. It won't get better anytime soon.

2. Detroit- They've shown no capacity to make us believe they're making any real progress after a winless season. You could even make the argument that they're WORSE this year despite the 1 win; last year they had several near wins and were close. This year, Stafford has taken a beating and there's still a dearth of talent. Many hard times still lie ahead.

3. Cleveland- Horrendous. Hard to believe they were the trendy pick only a year ago to make the playoffs. They read their own press clippings, underachieved, and succeeded in getting their team broken up. Derek Anderson showed he's a fluke, but what's worse is this musical QB act by Eric Mangini, who is Bill Belichick minus the winning. Morale is at an all-time low, their offense is dreadful and if you have any doubts as to how bad this team is, hopefully you watched last night's snoozefest vs. Baltimore.

4. Kansas City- Boy, Matt Cassel certainly was the tonic this team needed, wasn't he? Fans are disenchanted following Tony Gonzalez' departure, the follies involving their idiot running back, Larry Johnson (since cut) and the lack of any real good football being played on either side of the ball. Todd Haley is yet another coordinator who benefitted from tremendous weapons that made him look good (Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, etc.), became a "hot commodity" and has subsequently done nothing to show the Chiefs will be good anytime soon. And for good measure, they just suspended a reciever for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

5. Tampa Bay- Despite two decent weeks in succession, I don't see Tampa as a team in good shape. Raheem Morris (God, I'm glad he didn't get the Rams job as a few on the forum hoped) hardly looks the part of a guy who's a leader of men. Stingy ownership, a revolving door at QB, and the loss of quality players like Warrick Dunn, Mike Alstott, John Lynch and Derrick Brooks make this a major rebuilding job.
    -11-17-2009, 06:49 PM
  • ramhard
    Rams Special Teams Worst in History! Article
    by ramhard
    Full Dalla article that shows how bad the Rams special teams are, and specific note of Bobby April and coach of the #1 team.

Post subject: Dallas Morning News: Rams At Bottom Of Special Teams Play
    Again, Rams Are Nothing Special
    St. Louis Finds Itself At The Bottom In Special Teams Play
    RICK GOSSELIN
    13 FEBRUARY 2005
    DALLAS MORNING NEWS

Every time Mike Martz fires a special teams coach, his St. Louis Rams take a step backward in the kicking game. There no longer are any backward steps to take.

Mike Martz fired Larry Pasquale after the Rams finished 20th in the NFL in special teams in 2000. Martz terminated Bobby April after the Rams finished 24th in special teams in 2003. This off-season, Martz booted Mike Stock after the Rams finished 32nd in special teams.

Martz seems to think special teams are a coaching problem in St. Louis. Except that April, who was snapped up by Buffalo after his dismissal from St. Louis, coached the Bills to a No. 1 finish on special teams in 2004 in the annual rankings compiled by The Dallas Morning News.

The league's 32 teams are ranked in 22 categories and assigned points according to their standing one for the best, 32 for the worst. The Bills won with a composite score of 232, 43 points better than runner-up New Orleans. The Cowboys finished 15th with 341.5 points.

The Bills scored a league-high 36 points on special teams and finished in the top 10 in 15 other categories. Buffalo ranked in the top 5 in three key categories: kickoff and punt returns, plus kickoff coverage.

Buffalo's Terrence McGee returned three kickoffs for touchdowns and was selected to the Pro Bowl. Nate Clements and Jonathan Smith also returned punts for touchdowns for Buffalo, and rookie Jason Peters returned a blocked punt for another score.

First-year head coach Mike Mularkey clearly made a commitment to April and special teams in 2004 , and the kicking game helped boost the Bills to a 9-7 record, their first winning season since 1999.

Martz has never made that commitment in St. Louis and the Rams endured the worst season on special teams by any club in NFL history with a composite score of 556.5. Their average finish was 25th for the 22 categories.

St. Louis became the first team in the 17-year history of the rankings to finish with a score in the 500s. The previous worst was the 499.5 points by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2003. The Rams also were 88.5 points worse than the Minnesota Vikings, who finished 31st.

The Rams finished 8-8 and still managed to qualify for the playoffs as a wild card. But they allowed a 68-yard punt return for a touchdown to Allen Rossum in their elimination game against Atlanta.

The New England Patriots slipped from fifth in 2003 to 21st in 2004 on the way to back-to-back NFL championships. That's the lowest...
    -02-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Working...
X