X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins' Porter claims officials apply different rules to Pats' Brady

Dolphins' Porter claims officials apply different rules to Pats' Brady
    NFL.com

Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis complained earlier this year about what he perceived to be a different set of rules for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. Lewis' comments came after Baltimore was called for two roughing-the-passer penalties against Brady during a narrow Week 4 loss at New England.

Now Joey Porter is joining Lewis in protest.

In his weekly "Porter's House" segment Thursday on NFL Network, the outspoken Miami Dolphins linebacker was unequivocal in his belief that officials treat Brady differently than other quarterbacks.

"When a guy can tell a ref when to throw a flag and he gets it and stuff like that, I mean he got his own rules," said Porter, whose Dolphins face the Patriots in a crucial AFC East showdown Sunday. "They made the whole 'don't go at the legs (rule)' because of Tom. So whenever he feels that somebody is coming at his legs, he just points at the ref and he gets the flag. So you got to honestly say that he has his own set of rules."

That wasn't all Porter had to say about the Patriots. He revealed that he has long hated the team and said the Dolphins felt disrespected by New England's "players and the coaching staff" because they chose to kick the ball into Miami's stretching area before last season's game in Foxborough, Mass.

"Certain stuff like that, they know that you can't do, but they did it when we were in New England, and somehow they got away with it" Porter said. "They won't be able to try that again this week."

Never one to mince words, Porter also revealed the root of his dislike for the Patriots.

"The hate has been there for awhile, especially after the cheating they did back in the day," Porter said, referring to the Patriots' 2007 videotaping scandal that cost them their 2008 first-round draft pick.

Porter then continued, "They can sweep it under the rug if they want to, but just like anybody else that do something (wrong), that's caught by cheating, you put an asterisk by it."

Last week, Porter talked tough about the Jets, and his team backed him up with a 30-25 victory at New York. Will the Dolphins do so again at Gillette Stadium on Sunday?
    He could certainly add Peyton Manning to the list of QBs with "special protection" from the refs in my opinion. The league needs to scale back the QB protection rules or at the very least start applying the same rules to everybody (when was the last time Bulger got several 'roughing the passer' calls in a game based on dubious situations with minimal contact to the helmet/legs (often unavoidable based on the defenders momentum)?).

I see he's also a supporter of the 18-1* campaign, he's got my support on that point as well ;)

Re: Dolphins' Porter claims officials apply different rules to Pats' Brady

I agree the calls for roughing the QB do seem to greatly influenced by who the QB is. That call is very inconsistent and can be game changing when they penalize the defense for getting to the QB.

Bulger has gotten a few roughing the QB calls this year that have helped us out. One was in the redskins game and it eliminated a turnover.

QBs like Brady and Peyton are smart enough to work the officials and they can influence the calls that are made. All part of the game in a way. Officials are human and they can be played. Good players are going to use everything in their power to win.
    sigpic

Comment

I wonder if Porter gets a lifetime ban or just a one season suspension for speaking ill of the Messia....er, I mean Brady.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
        I wonder if Porter gets a lifetime ban or just a one season suspension for speaking ill of the Messia....er, I mean Brady.
        Since we haven't heard anything yet, I'm assuming Brady hasn't told the league how he wants them to handle it.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
          Tom Brady: I Don't Think I've Ever Been So Pissed Off After A Loss
          by r8rh8rmike
          Tom Brady: I don't think I've ever been so pissed off after a loss

FOX Sports
          James Parziale 8 hrs ago

Tom Brady and the Patriots' quest for an undefeated season came crashing down on Sunday after a loss to the Broncos, and New England's quarterback is not pleased.

Despite the injury to all-world tight end Rob Gronkowski, Brady was more annoyed about the officiating.

"I don't think I've ever been so pissed off after a loss," Brady told WEEI in Boston. "And I think everyone else felt the same way."

Why did Brady have such harsh words? Before his injury, Gronkowski had two offensive pass interference calls go against him.

"... there were two of them like that, there was not just the one," Brady said. "There was another one where there were offsetting penalties. I don't know either. I know coach Belichick has spoken to the league about it and they're making a concerted effort to officiate the game."

Brady was asked what the refs told him about the calls against Gronkowski.

"They just feel like there's a push off. It's obviously different than what I saw, because I'm looking at it too, but they're the ones with the flags and they throw it. You hate to see it come down to stuff like that, but there were a lot of plays last night that just didn't necessarily end up the way we would have hoped and there were a lot of things that we could have done better.

"We're certainly not going to sit here and blame the officiating."
          -11-30-2015, 06:24 PM
        • RamWraith
          Brady reportedly in walking cast
          by RamWraith
          Patriots | Brady reportedly in walking cast
          Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:16:08 -0800

ESPN.com reports New England Patriots QB Tom Brady (leg) was reportedly seen in a walking cast Monday, Jan. 21, according to multiple media reports in Boston. During his weekly radio show on WEEI, Brady did not deny suffering an injury during the AFC Championship Game Sunday, Jan. 20. According to the Boston Herald, Brady said, "Ah, you know, there's always bumps and bruises. I'll be ready for the Super Bowl. I'm not worried about that. I'm not missing this one. I'd have to be on a stretcher to miss this one. There will be treatment this week. In games like this, you get a little nicked up. It's nothing serious."
          -01-22-2008, 07:00 AM
        • Nick
          Brady Quinn's reaction on being passed over by Miami
          by Nick
          Thought those who didn't see the draft might want to watch Quinn's reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dawGJDtHlcs
          -04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
        • Nick
          For Kraft, Brady and Belichick, is this the beginning of the end?
          by Nick
          For Kraft, Brady and Belichick, is this the beginning of the end?
          1:00 AM ET
          Seth Wickersham
          ESPN Senior Writer

THE PROBLEM WITH living your life under the spotlight is that the camera captures only the public eruption, not the months of silent anger. On Dec. 3, when the New England Patriots played the Buffalo Bills, Tom Brady walked to the sideline after throwing late and behind receiver Brandin Cooks on third down, ending a first-quarter drive. Brady was angrier and more irritable than usual, as has often been the case this season in the eyes of some Patriots players and staff. As he unsnapped his chinstrap, Brady passed offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on the sideline.

"He was wide open," McDaniels said to Brady, referring to Cooks.

Brady kept walking, and glaring at McDaniels, so the coach repeated: "We had him open."

Brady snapped, pivoting to McDaniels and yelling at him, "I got it!" Everyone within earshot, including head coach Bill Belichick, turned to watch as Brady screamed. He removed his helmet, and as a Patriots staffer held him back -- and with McDaniels' father and legendary high school coach in Ohio, Thom, in the stands behind the bench -- capped off the exchange by yelling, "F--- you!"

Video of the scene went viral, with many rationalizing it as a symptom of Brady's legendary competitiveness. Brady would later apologize to McDaniels, who dismissed the incident to reporters as "part of what makes him great." After all, many in the Patriots' building knew that Brady's explosion wasn't really about McDaniels. It wasn't about Cooks. And it wasn't about the Bills game. It was about the culmination of months of significant behind-the-scenes frustrations. For almost two decades, Belichick has managed to subvert the egos of his best player, his boss and himself for the good of the team, yielding historic results. This year, though, the dynamics have been different.

THE PATRIOTS ARE in uncharted territory. They haven't just won games and titles. They've won at an unprecedented rate and over an unprecedented span, which makes the feelings of entitlement creeping inside Gillette Stadium unprecedented as well. The Patriots, in the only statement anyone associated with the team would make on the record for this story, responded to specific questions by saying that there are "several inaccuracies and multiple examples given that absolutely did not occur," though they declined to go into detail. But according to interviews with more than a dozen New England staffers, executives, players and league sources with knowledge of the team's inner workings, the three most powerful people in the franchise -- Belichick, Brady and owner Robert Kraft -- have had serious disagreements. They differ on Brady's trainer, body coach and business partner Alex Guerrero; over the team's long-term plans at quarterback;...
          -01-05-2018, 09:24 AM
        • r8rh8rmike
          Roger Goodell Upholds Tom Brady Suspension
          by r8rh8rmike
          Roger Goodell upholds Tom Brady suspension

By Gregg Rosenthal
          Around The NFL Editor
          Published: July 28, 2015 at 02:35 p.m.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has upheld Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on integrity of the game, the league announced Tuesday.

Brady was suspended four games in May after footballs used by the Patriots during the AFC Championship Game against the Colts were found to be inflated under the minimum level prescribed by the league. Along with the NFL Players Association, Brady challenged his penalty and testified before Goodell at an appeal hearing last month.

The four-time Super Bowl winner is eligible to play Week 6 in Indianapolis against the Colts. Jimmy Garoppolo, who played sparingly as Brady's backup last year, is expected to start the team's first four games of the season. Brady remains eligible for training camp and the preseason.

Brady was suspended on May 11 after a report by Ted Wells, an investigator contracted by the league, asserted Brady's connection to the deflation of footballs used in the AFC Championship Game, which the Patriots won, 45-7. Wells did not allege that Brady himself improperly handled the footballs, but the investigator wrote that he believed Brady was "at least generally aware" of the alleged involvement of Patriots staff in deflating the footballs. Wells also noted that Brady did not fully cooperate with his requests during the investigation.

The Patriots franchise was also handed down discipline stemming from the incident, but owner Robert Kraft ultimately chose not to fight those sanctions, which included a $1 million fine and the loss of a 2016 first-round pick and 2017 fourth-round selection.

Around The NFL will have more on this developing story. Check out our Tom Brady suspension timeline here.
          -07-28-2015, 12:55 PM
        Working...
        X