• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burwell: Bill Belichick's Blunder Shows He Doesn't Trust Defense

Bill Belichick's blunder shows he doesn't trust defense

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/17/2009

From Pawtuckett to Worcester, from Hyannis Port to Falmouth and all points in between where he is looked upon as an exalted football patron saint, the good folks of New England do not know what to make of Bill Belichick's Sunday Night Gaffe. How in the world did Coach Hoodie he of the numerous Super Bowl rings, cerebral coaching reputation and the reigning title holder of Greatest Living Coach the NFL Ever Did See suddenly lose his mind and allow his wonderfully wonderful Geniusness to go all haywire on him?

Of course, those of us in St. Louis and New York and so many other places where Belichick is looked upon as a shadowy football dark lord, are practically giddy. We're not really sure how in the world bleepin' Coach Belicheat he of the clandestine scouting operations, film study habits of an NSA operative and reigning title holder of Most Shameless Cheater-Covert Ops Manipulator the NFL Ever Did See suddenly lost his mind, but we are here to revel in the momentous occasion.

People are still talking about how one of the greatest coaches in NFL history lost his mind (or his defensive nerve?) on Sunday night prime-time television in a stunning 35-34 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. With the Patriots leading 34-28 and 2:08 remaining, Belichick inexplicably decided to go for a first down rather than punt when he faced fourth and 2 from his own 28-yard line!!!!

At the moment it even appeared that he was thinking about doing this, most of the folks inside Indy's Lucas Oil Stadium and nearly everyone watching the game on NBC figured The Hooded One was going to have Tom Brady line up under center and see if he could draw the Colts defense offsides.

No one expected that he was actually going to go for it.

And why did no one expect it?

Well, because it was a horrible decision.

Of course it failed.

Brady threw a 3-yard pass to running back Kevin Faulk, who bobbled the ball and was pushed backward, losing 2 yards before he regained possession of the football.

That gave the ball to Peyton Manning, one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play the game, only 29 yards away from the end zone, and it didn't take long for him to throw the game-winning touchdown. And now everyone is wondering what the heck Belichick was thinking. Why didn't he tell his punter to get out there and kick the ball as far as he could? Why not trust that your defense could make life difficult for Manning, and at the very least force him to drive 65 or 70 yards with roughly 2 minutes left, to get six points the hard way?

On Monday, Belichick revisited the play before reporters in New England and said he would do it the same way if he had a chance. He also said that he hoped most of his players understood that any decision he made was with the best interest of the team at heart.

The trouble with the move is that through his own hubris, Belichick exposed something rather shocking about himself. He coached out of fear. That's what he was telling his team when he decided that the best possible option to win the game was to keep his defense off the field because he didn't think his young defenders could stop Manning from marching 70 yards to score the game-winning touchdown.

He told his defense in no uncertain terms that it couldn't do the job. But don't listen to me. All you have to do is listen to the words of his former players to understand how his coaching decision was perceived inside the locker room.

Former Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi told ESPN on Monday that if he was still a member of the New England defense, "I'd be surprised and bothered, actually. Surprised that a chance like that (to help win a game) was taken and bothered as a former defensive player that the defense wasn't put out there to win the game. ... You have to look at it how the defensive players look at it. Bill Belichick said that we have a better chance of going for it on fourth down rather than you trying to stop Peyton Manning from going 70 yards."

Ouch.

And he's right. The biggest job Belichick has to cope with now is convincing his inexperienced defense that he believes in them the same way he used to believe in those Super Bowl defenses led by Bruschi and former Pro Bowl safety Rodney Harrison. If you think Bruschi was upset about the play, you probably didn't see Harrison after the game on NBC, where he now makes his living as an outspoken studio analyst for Football Night in America. After the game, Harrison was asked by Bob Costas what he thought about the move.

"It was a really bad coaching decision by Coach Belichick," said Harrison. "I have all the respect in the world for him, but he has to punt the ball. The message that he's sending into that locker room is I have no confidence in my young guys on my defense. ... As great as Peyton Manning is, you have to force him ... to drive 65-70 yards to beat you."

No matter what he says now in hindsight, the best coach in football made a gigantic mistake, and its impact may have cost the Patriots a lot more than an important football game.

Re: Burwell: Bill Belichick's Blunder Shows He Doesn't Trust Defense

Here, my enlightened opinion...

HAHA!
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

I thought it was really funny when they failed, but im sure all rams, eagles, and panthers fans think it is hilarious.

Just my opinion but i would trust my tom brady and randy moss offense to gain two yards in any type of situation, I don't care if it is the fourth play of the game i would trust those guys to get me two yards.

Comment

I don't think is a offense or defense trust thing, I think there was more into it. My gut tells me that he thought that because HE is belichick, and HE has tom brady and HE has randy moss and THEY are the patriots he was going to get a 1st down, no matter what, either by catching the ball, penalty or whatever. If he had the extra time out, I have no doubt in my mind that he would challenge the spot and win....

Comment

Yeah, unsure how anyone thinks this was a terrible decision. That defense was getting gashed by Manning and Wayne. You have more offensive star power than just about anyone else in the NFL, of course you go for it and put the game away. I'd be appauled if they punted it away and let Manning drive it down the field for the third consecutive TD drive.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
            [Patriots] Rookie QB makes them pay
            by DJRamFan
            Roethlisberger had the answers
            By Aaron Harlan, Globe Correspondent | November 1, 2004

PITTSBURGH -- Just wait, the conventional thinking went.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sure, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had sewn a dandy storyline in his first four NFL starts, but skeptics figured that hype would unravel against the New England defense -- a unit that's made the practice of unraveling quarterbacks more routine than a daily lunch break. But something unlikely happened yesterday when Roethlisberger braved the Patriots' blitz-and-confuse defense in a 34-20 Steelers win at Heinz Field. He didn't quiver. He didn't collapse. Instead, Roethlisberger looked poised and unflappable, completing 18 of 24 passes for 196 yards in a performance that may have helped the virtuoso rookie become the NFL's phenomenon du jour.

If nothing else, the outing validated Roethlisberger among any remaining doubters. After throwing two incompletions to start the game, he completed 14 of his next 15 passes, as the Steelers built a quick three-touchdown lead.

With help from running back Duce Staley, who bulled his way for 125 yards on 25 carries, the Steelers' passing game looked as sharp as the black ensemble Roethlisberger wore to his postgame media session.

"He did a good job, no question," Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher said.

And after the game, it was the Patriots -- not Roethlisberger --who were hit with a sudden trace of doubt. As New England's winning streak ended at 21, Roethlisberger, a No. 1 draft pick from Miami of Ohio, extended a streak of his own: He has won 18 starts in a row, dating to August of last season, when he was a college junior.

Against the Patriots' defense, which constantly blitzed the rookie but never sacked him, Roethlisberger showed the whole spectrum of skills. He threw under pressure. He showed both zip and touch. He even ducked tackles, once shaking Mike Vrabel from his backside while scrambling. Roethlisberger entered the game second in the AFC in quarterback rating. His rating yesterday: 126.4.

"It was definitely difficult," Roethlisberger said, though his actions screamed otherwise. "Their defense is very difficult. They're bringing people from all over the field."

Roethlisberger, though, always resisted the pressure. On a play that led to Pittsburgh's first touchdown, New England ran an all-out blitz. Steelers wideout Plaxico Burress was matched opposite cornerback Randall Gay, playing for injured Ty Law.

"He was just a lame duck out there," Burress said, smiling. "And we just kind of went after him."

The Patriots went after Roethlisberger, too. As the pocket collapsed, he glanced downfield at a tight end, then rainbowed a pass to Burress, who beat Gay by several steps. The pass hit Burress in stride, and lifted...
            -11-01-2004, 10:52 AM
          • DJRamFan
            [Patriots] The breakdown? A system failure
            by DJRamFan
            By Ron Borges | November 1, 2004

PITTSBURGH -- Whatever the Patriots practiced last Friday isn't likely to be the topic of Bill Belichick's news conference today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Belichick went to some lengths to offer up unsolicited last Monday how the Patriots had practiced two days earlier "exactly the situation" his team faced the previous day against the Jets just before halftime, when it marched downfield for what proved to be the winning touchdown. This was not the first time Belichick had talked after a victory of some prescient moment he'd had during one of the team's closed practices a day or two before a game. Always, it seemed, whatever they'd practiced miraculously came to fruition when it counted.

Well, unless they practiced picking their quarterback up off the ground last Friday, there couldn't have been much they worked on last week that had anything to do with what occurred yesterday at Heinz Field, where the Steelers manhandled the previously undefeated Patriots, 34-20.

Poor Tom Brady was pummeled all afternoon and so was New England's run defense. So, too, was the prevailing theory that rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would be so mentally taxed by Belichick's schemes and mind-numbing defensive game plan that he would be reduced to a rubber room by halftime. That latter idea went up in smoke when by that point his quarterback rating was 141.7 and his team was leading, 24-10.

One loss does not a season break, however, and it should be noted this one came with Belichick's troops depleted with running back Corey Dillon, tackle Tom Ashworth, wide receiver Deion Branch, and cornerback Tyrone Poole out before the game began, and cornerback Ty Law and tackle Matt Light joining them on the sideline by halftime. What this may lead to, though, is a shocking lesson for some of the Patriots' more rabid followers.

Simply put, systems without their best players executing them are considerably less baffling to their opponents than systems with their best players executing them. Asking Law to demonstrate your genius is one thing. Ask Randall Gay to do it and you better have something around to put out the flames.

Gay, an undrafted rookie free agent, had played well in limited roles the past few weeks but when Law went down with Poole already out Gay was forced to play cornerback for real, which is to say actually on the corner. Just two plays after Gay entered the game, Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress entered the end zone with a 47-yard touchdown catch that made it 7-3. Pittsburgh never trailed again.

"We know when a player like Ty Law goes out of a game," Roethlisberger said. "It's one of those things where we have to keep an eye on who's over there. I said `Let's get the ball to Plaxico.'

Remarkable though it may seem to some, although not to Brady, he could...
            -11-01-2004, 10:50 AM
          • DJRamFan
            [Patriots] Porter really carried them
            by DJRamFan
            Linebacker kept up the pressure
            By Aaron Harlan, Globe Correspondent | November 1, 2004

PITTSBURGH -- He tried to play it off as if it was no big deal, as if these three-sack, two forced-fumble days come around just about every Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Steelers linebacker Joey Porter didn't keep the act up for long.

"We kept hitting [Tom Brady]," Porter said, still serious. "Even when we didn't get sacks, we still got pressure.

The more Porter talked, though, the more excited he got. He couldn't help it. A wide smile spread across Porter's face as he added one more thought about a day when he -- and the entire Pittsburgh defense -- kept Brady running and scrambling and falling.

"We kept hitting him. And he didn't like that at all."

For good reason, too. In yesterday's 34-20 win against New England at Heinz Field, Porter turned into a pass-rushing demon. He led the Steelers in nearly every defensive category. He had eight tackles. The three sacks and two forced fumbles. Heck, he even broke up a pass.

It seemed almost merciful, then, that New England possessed the ball for just 17 minutes yesterday. After all, the only time Porter slowed down, he was on the sideline watching the Steelers' offense.

"The game he had today, that's one of the best performances I've ever seen since I've been here," fellow linebacker James Farrior said. "He had a great day. You guys have been on him a lot, calling him a bad guy and stuff. But it just shows, he's still going out there playing his best."

Indeed, Porter's been alternately inconsistent and controversial in the last 1 1/2 years. Before the 2003 season, Porter was struck in the buttocks by a stray bullet while at a Colorado bar. Based on his performance last year -- a season in which he lacked his traditional big-play tendencies -- he recovered slowly from the accident.

Earlier this season, Porter drew criticism for a hit on Baltimore tight end Todd Heap. As Baltimore attempted to spike the ball in a game Sept. 19, Heap, injured seconds earlier, hobbled into place so the Ravens could run the play. Porter shoved Heap to the ground, and Heap writhed in pain.

"People are giving him a hard time and writing things about him, but we watch him on film, we see what he can do," cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "And once a great pass rusher gets on a roll, it's hard to stop."

With New England's Corey Dillon injured, the Patriots turned into a team with only one option -- throw. Every play. In all, New England called just six running plays, which produced just 5 yards.

That allowed Porter to get going. He knew the Patriots' strategy. He also knew his job: Get to the quarterback.

"When they pass the ball," Porter said,...
            -11-01-2004, 10:53 AM
          • jjsram
            Just one of the guys
            by jjsram
            http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...nnsi&type=lgns

Just one of the guys

Don Banks, SI.com

FOXBORO, Mass. -- The latest long, sweaty training camp practice has wrapped for the afternoon, and Tom Brady plunges in. Working a rope line with the skill that another less famous Massachusetts celebrity named John Kerry would be envious of, Brady smiles and scribbles his way through the throng of admirers, which as usual, on this day seems comprised largely of screaming teenage girls wearing replica No. 12 Patriots jerseys.

Think of The Beatles deplaning in New York in 1964 and you start to get the picture of the rock-star treatment that New England's GQ QB inspires on almost a daily basis.

"I guess I get embarrassed a little bit,'' said Brady moments later, cringing a bit at the mention of his off-field fame. "I don't know why I get embarrassed, you know? But I do.

"The most fun I have is playing, or even when we're practicing. To tell you the truth, I don't think I enjoy a lot of the other stuff. I enjoy it. Well, I don't enjoy it. Because I don't think it's part of my personality. I just like playing ball.''

ADVERTISEMENT

It's the playing ball that begets all this other stuff, and the great thing about Brady as he enters his fifth NFL season is that he has never lost track of that. He knows the order of things. Yes, he's comfortable in the company of the president or the Pope, sitting beside the First Lady at the State of the Union address, or strolling up and down red carpets in Hollywood, a starlet on his arm.

But if you want to see Brady really happy, really engaged in the moment at hand, watch him in the pocket. Or even, as I did this week at Patriots camp, over on the sideline as he practices shovel pass after shovel pass to receiver Troy Brown. The guy simply loves his work. And he absolutely doesn't take short cuts, even thought half the known world is holding the door open for him, inviting him to.

That's why this spring, on the day the Super Bowl champion Patriots were scheduled to visit the White House for their obligatory Rose Garden photo op, Brady was spotted getting his weight lifting in at Gillette Stadium at 5:30 a.m., rather than taking an excused pass on the workout as so many of his teammates did. And why for four years running he has earned the preferred Gillette parking spot among Patriots quarterbacks, based on his position-best offseason workout record.

"I realize the reason why we've been really successful here,'' Brady said. "There's a lot that plays into winning Super Bowls and winning all the games we've won. It goes back to me knowing there are things that I struggle with, in terms of being a good football player, and there are certain things that I need to work at. And one...
            -08-18-2004, 04:10 PM
          • Nick
            For Kraft, Brady and Belichick, is this the beginning of the end?
            by Nick
            For Kraft, Brady and Belichick, is this the beginning of the end?
            1:00 AM ET
            Seth Wickersham
            ESPN Senior Writer

THE PROBLEM WITH living your life under the spotlight is that the camera captures only the public eruption, not the months of silent anger. On Dec. 3, when the New England Patriots played the Buffalo Bills, Tom Brady walked to the sideline after throwing late and behind receiver Brandin Cooks on third down, ending a first-quarter drive. Brady was angrier and more irritable than usual, as has often been the case this season in the eyes of some Patriots players and staff. As he unsnapped his chinstrap, Brady passed offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on the sideline.

"He was wide open," McDaniels said to Brady, referring to Cooks.

Brady kept walking, and glaring at McDaniels, so the coach repeated: "We had him open."

Brady snapped, pivoting to McDaniels and yelling at him, "I got it!" Everyone within earshot, including head coach Bill Belichick, turned to watch as Brady screamed. He removed his helmet, and as a Patriots staffer held him back -- and with McDaniels' father and legendary high school coach in Ohio, Thom, in the stands behind the bench -- capped off the exchange by yelling, "F--- you!"

Video of the scene went viral, with many rationalizing it as a symptom of Brady's legendary competitiveness. Brady would later apologize to McDaniels, who dismissed the incident to reporters as "part of what makes him great." After all, many in the Patriots' building knew that Brady's explosion wasn't really about McDaniels. It wasn't about Cooks. And it wasn't about the Bills game. It was about the culmination of months of significant behind-the-scenes frustrations. For almost two decades, Belichick has managed to subvert the egos of his best player, his boss and himself for the good of the team, yielding historic results. This year, though, the dynamics have been different.

THE PATRIOTS ARE in uncharted territory. They haven't just won games and titles. They've won at an unprecedented rate and over an unprecedented span, which makes the feelings of entitlement creeping inside Gillette Stadium unprecedented as well. The Patriots, in the only statement anyone associated with the team would make on the record for this story, responded to specific questions by saying that there are "several inaccuracies and multiple examples given that absolutely did not occur," though they declined to go into detail. But according to interviews with more than a dozen New England staffers, executives, players and league sources with knowledge of the team's inner workings, the three most powerful people in the franchise -- Belichick, Brady and owner Robert Kraft -- have had serious disagreements. They differ on Brady's trainer, body coach and business partner Alex Guerrero; over the team's long-term plans at quarterback;...
            -01-05-2018, 09:24 AM
          Working...
          X