• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants bench DE Osi Umenyiora

Shakeup looming for Giants D
    By Ralph Vacchiano
    December 4, 2009 11:53 AM

Six weeks of bad defensive play has finally caused defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan to make some changes — or so it seems.

It appears that defensive end Osi Umenyiora and defensive tackle Fred Robbins have been sent to the bench in favor of end Mathias Kiwanuka and tackle Chris Canty. Kiwanuka and Canty were working with the first team this morning during the brief portion of practice open to the media, and Umenyiora and Robbins were working with the second team.

I should also note that there was reportedly a report on the NFL Network this week (I didn’t see it, nor have I confirmed it, which is why I’m saying “reportedly a report”) that Umenyiora will only be used on passing downs. And after the way the Denver Broncos appeared to target him (and, at times, Canty) with their runs last Thursday, that probably shouldn’t be a surprise.

That shakeup is probably long overdue since the Giants’ defensive line has been shockingly ineffective lately. Robbins has had one sack this season and Umenyiora has only five. Neither of them have had a sack since the bye week. Of course Canty, who got a six-year, $42 million deal from the Giants in March and has only been back from injury for the last three games, is still looking for his first sack of the season. And Kiwanuka has just three sacks on the year, including none in the last four games.

Meanwhile, defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, he of the four-year, $16 million free agent contract, might be even farther down in the rotation. The Giants practiced a goal-line defense drill during the portion of practice we were allowed to watch and Bernard - - one sack this season, none in the last seven games - - wasn’t included.

Maybe we’ll get some more information on this shakeup when Tom Coughlin addresses the media in about an hour … though I wouldn’t count on it.

As for the rest of the defense, it appears to be as expected, but without safety Michael Johnson, who is missing his third straight day of practice with a strained groin. It appears that C.C. Brown will be reinserted into the starting lineup in Johnson’s place, with Aaron Ross picking up third safety duties in the dime defense.

Interestingly, when the Giants ran their second-team defense in practice while the media was present, they ran it with only 10 players. Nobody was filling the second safety spot.

I have no explanation for that. It’s hard to imagine they’re trying to hide something. It’s not as if the thought that they might promote Sha-reff Rashad or Vince Anderson off the practice squad to play on the second team would force the Cowboys to alter their game plan. And they’re not going to sign an impact safety this late in the week. In fact, at this point it seems unlikely they’re going to fill the vacant 53rd spot on their active roster at all before Sunday’s game.

Re: Giants bench DE Osi Umenyiora

Wonder if he'll be brought in...Is he worth being brought in? There's obviously a reason for him being benched and I'd have to assume it's because of poor play and not something silly like a comment he made. But who knows.
    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

You learn from being benched, just ask Donovan McNabb and he nearly took the Eagles to the Super Bowl!
      Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

If the Giants' defensive line struggles without Spagnuolo, that could be really good news for us. It would mean that (a) Spags was getting the most out of his players, and (b) those players might well conclude that they would be more successful if they were reunited with their old Defensive Coordinator.

Comment

I want nothing more than osi to struggle in NY, get traded to us, and get back to his old dominating ways with his old DC.

If only dreams would become reality....

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
            5 Things the Rams can learn from the Champion Giants
            by AvengerRam_old
            1. Be Patient With Your Franchise QB. Here are Eli Manning's passer ratings for his first four seasons: 55.4, 75.9, 77.0, 73.9. Sam Bradford needs time and weapons. Give him both.

2. Front 4 Pressure Provides a Huge Advantage. If the Rams can one day generate the kind of pressure the Giants do with their front four by adding some DTs to Chris Long and Robert Quinn, that could become the core of the defense.

3. Don't Underestimate the Value of BPA Picks. When the Giants drafted Jason Pierre-Paul, they already had Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Matthias Kiwanuka on their roster. However, this pick has paid HUGE dividends, not only in terms of JPP's play, but in the way he's helped them maintain their pass rush while Tuck and Osi were injured. Also, with JPP there, a guy like Osi failed in his effort to extort a new contract. You know... maybe I need to consider adding Quinton Coples to my next draft board...

4. Schemes Should Adjust to Players, Not the Other Way Around. When the Giants won the Super Bowl in 2006, it was thunder (Jacobs) and lightning (Bradshaw) leading the way. This time, it was Eli throwing to Nicks, Manningham and Cruz that got them to the big game. Same head coach, different players, different approach.

5. Just Make the Playoffs. The Giants (like last year's Packers) demonstrated that the playoffs are really a "second season" where seeding and home field advantage are important, but not necessarily determinative factors.
            -02-06-2012, 08:54 AM
          • RamsSB99
            THIS WOULD BE GREAT: Giants might be releasing Robins DT
            by RamsSB99
            NY DAILY NEWS
            Ralph Vacchiano
            March 1, 2009

Will Canty push Robbins out?

Update: 4:55 p.m.
            It’s starting to look like before the end of the day, Cowboys defensive lineman Chris Canty will be a Giant. “There’s a chance,” his agent, Brad Blank, told me a few minutes ago.
            And that just can’t be good news for veteran defensive tackle Fred Robbins.
            Something’s got to give, as several NFL sources have told me in the last few hours, if the Giants sign the 26-year-old Canty, and it appears the 31-year-old Robbins might be it. Nobody can imagine the Giants sticking with all four veteran defensive tackles in a rotation that would include Canty, Robbins, Barry Cofield and the newly signed Rocky Bernard.
            For one thing, it would be ridiculously expensive — about $12.5 million between the four of them, assuming Canty gets his $6 million per year and Bernard, as reported elsewhere, got about $4 million per year (Robbins is due $2 million in 2009 and Cofield is due $530,000). For another thing, while the depth is nice, playing time would become an issue. At most they’d average 20 snaps per player, per game (remember, DE Justin Tuck will figure into the DT rotation on passing downs), and they don’t need to spend that much money on what essentially would become a group of part-time players.
            That’s why it was so hard to believe, at first, that the Giants would go hard after Canty. But apparently they are. In the last two hours, Canty’s agent, Brad Blank, has confirmed that he and the Giants are well into their contract talks. He got an offer from the Giants, sent them a counter-propsal, and now he’s awaiting a response from them.
            According to one source familiar with the talks, the two sides are within striking distance of each other, though they still have a little bit of work to do on how much Canty will get up front. I haven’t yet nailed down any numbers, but sources around the league — away from the negotiations — keep throwing out that $6 million per year average.
            Update: Blank, in an interview with Scout.com (you need a subscription to access it), said the Giants’ offer was “very decent.” He also added that “even though the Giants have signed a defensive lineman (DT Rocky Bernard), they’ve offered Chris substantially more than what they signed the other guy for and they still lust after Chris.”
            If the Giants and Canty can’t work out a deal, Blank said his client will hope a flight to Green Bay, where the Packers have been getting more and more interested by the day. The Seattle Seahawks had a visit with Canty planned for Monday, but they canceled earlier today, Blank said, after they signed former Packers DT Colin Cole to a five-year, $21 million deal with $5 million guaranteed.
            That’s an average of $4.2 million for Cole, by the way, and he’s not in Canty’s class. So $6 million per year might end up being a low guess.
            The Giants don’t have to cut Robbins...
            -03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
          • Nick
            Giants not expected to "put up a big fight" to keep NT Cofield
            by Nick
            Reese facing Giant decisions
            Posted: 12:06 AM, July 3, 2011
            Paul Schwartz

Whenever the NFL gets its act together there will be no lurching back to business. It will be a whirlwind swim-or-be-eaten dive into the free agency waters and Giants general manager Jerry Reese has promised "We'll be ready to pounce."

The Giants will have to get their own house in order with five key players -- Steve Smith, Mathias Kiwanuka, Ahmad Bradshaw, Kevin Boss and Barry Cofield -- before they venture outside.

Two of them, Kiwanuka and Smith, would be in high demand elsewhere if not for serious injuries that undermine their value. Kiwanuka is one of the most versatile defensive linemen in the NFL. He was the Giants best defender after three games last season, recording a team-high four sacks. He missed the last 13 games with a herniated disk in his neck. Kiwanuka opted not to have surgery, was cleared back in February to return to football activity and should be all-systems-go for training camp.

This particular injury, though, gone for now, is never forgotten and Kiwanuka will need a season to prove his neck is fine and can withstand the violent impacts required in his job. That is why Reese has ruminated, "Do we offer him a one-year deal so that he can re-establish his value or do we go in a different direction?" Kiwanuka, 28, is a special athlete -- remember, he also can play linebacker if needed -- and Reese figures to retain the former first-round pick with a low-risk, short-term deal that makes sense.

Smith was on track for a huge payday, but that will have to wait. He shattered the franchise record with his 107-catch 2009 season and through eight games last season was only slightly behind that pace, with 47 receptions for 517 yards. A torn pectoral muscle cost him four games and upon his return he sustained cartilage damage in his knee, necessitating micro-fracture surgery. It takes more than a full year to recover from such a procedure and sometimes longer.

It is likely Smith will be limited whenever camp starts and it's unlikely any other team will ignore his knee and offer huge money, virtually assuring his return to the Giants.

Bradshaw, coming off his first year as a starting running back, picked a good time for a career-best 1,235 rushing yards, and he's wanted and needed back -- as his Brandon Jacobs. There's room and money for both, even with a $4.65 million salary for Jacobs that might have to be downsized now that he's a backup.

Another starter set to be free, Kevin Boss, is a solid, dedicated tight end who fits neatly in the locker room, can block on the line and get off it to roam downfield for receptions. He doesn't want to leave and shouldn't be difficult to retain with a representative multi-year offer, with the only caveat his concussion history.

Of all the prospective free agents, defensive tackle...
            -07-03-2011, 01:54 PM
          • Nick
            Rams claim Giants players faked injuries
            by Nick
            Rams claim Giants players faked injuries
            Updated: September 20, 2011, 9:38 PM ET

The St. Louis Rams looked sloppy and disjointed in Monday night's 28-16 loss to the New York Giants.

Some of that, the Rams claimed Tuesday, was due to New York defenders apparently feigning injury to disrupt St. Louis' offensive tempo.

"They couldn't get subbed, they couldn't line up," Rams quarterback Sam Bradford said. "Someone said, 'Someone go down, someone go down,' so someone just went down and grabbed a cramp."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said the team has notified the league office.

"That'll go on the list of things we're going to send in," Spagnuolo said. "I think the league is looking into it. I'll let it run its course from that point of view."

Giants safety Antrel Rolle said he didn't know if his teammates had faked injury, but said it would have been smart if they did.

"This is the NFL, no one is dumb in this league," Rolle said on WFAN 660 in New York on Tuesday. "Many teams do it all the time. In my eyes as a veteran, it was an extremely smart play on their behalf if they were in fact faking."

In the first quarter, the Rams were marching toward the end zone with a no-huddle offense that was giving the Giants fits. Cadillac Williams had just gained eight yards and the Rams had a second-and-2 at the Giants' 7-yard line when Giants safety Deon Grant and linebacker Jacquian Williams dropped to the turf. Grant was writhing on the ground and play had to be stopped.

Grant would jog off the field on his own power and the Rams eventually settled for a field goal.

Grant returned to the game and played, leading some to speculate if the safety was actually injured.

Rolle said that Grant hurt his knee, but wasn't sure if it was on the play in question.

"Deon Grant actually did hurt his knee. I don't know if it was on that particular play or not," Rolle told WFAN. "He was complaining that his knee was bothering him."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said he thought Grant had a cramp.

"Well from my standpoint on the sideline, I thought he was cramped," Coughlin said. "They were in a no-huddle situation and it was a hurry-up deal. I just thought that he cramped at that time or definitely had something that was bothersome to him."
            -09-20-2011, 07:04 PM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Round Two: Can Battered Rams Go On The Road And Beat The Giants?
            by r8rh8rmike
            Can battered Rams go on road and beat the Giants?

BY ROGER HENSLEY
            Thursday, September 15, 2011

QUESTION: With so many injuries piling up already, how do you like the Rams chances in New York Monday night against the Giants?

JIM THOMAS

If the Rams can pass block, they should be able to throw the ball against a less-than-stellar Giants secondary. Washington tight end Fred Davis had a 105 yards receiving against New York in the opener. So it’s time to get Lance Kendricks and the tight ends going. On the other side of the ball, if the Rams’ pass rush and blitzes are as active as they were against Michael Vick and the Eagles, St. Louis might get eight sacks against Eli Manning. The Giants no doubt will try to get Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs and the running game going. So those are the three keys for the Rams: 1.) Get the passing game going; 2.) Get to Manning; 3.) Contain the Giants’ run game. If they do that, they should win.

JEFF GORDON

If the Rams had the Giants at home, I’d like their chances a lot. The Giants have suffered many serious injury hits themselves. But for the Rams to go on the road, against a team upset about their own Week 1 failure and looking to bounce back big . . . yeah, this is not a good scenario for the Rams. I can’t imagine a lot of experts will pick this team to win.

BILL COATS

The Rams are beat up, but the Giants are REALLY beat up. They lost six players, including two starters, in the preseason to season-ending injuries. I like the Rams’ chances because I think they’ll be able to run the ball, even if Steven Jackson doesn’t play, and the passing game should be better, even without Danny Amendola. I expect the Rams’ defense to be stiffer against the run, too, but it could be vulnerable against the pass with Ron Bartell and possibly Bradley Fletcher out.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)

I don’t like their chances very much. Running against the Giants won’t be as easy as running against the Eagles, which means the damage will have to be done with the passing game. The Rams have a chance to do something there because NY’s secondary has been ravaged by injuries but here’s where we get to the big difference between these two teams: the pass rush.

The Rams have a good pass rush, especially when they bring blitz pressure, but the Giants have elite defensive ends who will bring the heat all by themselves. Containing them won’t be easy, especially with an offensive line that looked shaky in pass blocking last week, and since they’re more stout against the run than the Eagles front seven was it’ll be even tougher to find room to work.

The Giants have many of the same injury problems as the Rams so there is a clear, realistic chance for the Rams to pull off the win. That said, the Giants are the more experienced...
            -09-15-2011, 11:04 AM
          Working...
          X