• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Leaves Practice Early With Ice On Right Knee

Young leaves practice early with ice on right knee
    By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer
    1 hour, 7 minutes ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Vince Young aggravated his right knee Thursdsay and left practice early in what Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher called a “setback.

Young had just stepped back and thrown a pass when he started walking to the sideline and laid down on the ground. A trainer and a doctor checked out his knee. They wrapped ice around his knee, then he left practice early, walking out of the indoor practice field gingerly.

The quarterback originally hurt his knee in last week’s 27-17 loss at Indianapolis and had been trying to push through practice. He was tended inside the building and not seen in the locker room while reporters were in the room. Fisher said he expects Young to play Sunday against St. Louis (1-11).

“At this point, I’m no more concerned about Vince than I am the other guys trying to work themselves back into health,” Fisher said.

Young is 4-1 as a starter since taking over the job from veteran Kerry Collins at the end of October. The Titans (5-7) need to win out to keep their faint playoff hopes alive. Collins finished practice, and Fisher joked that Collins had been busy deer-hunting rather than attending meetings and practices.

Collins had warmed up in Indianapolis in case he was needed, but Young finished the game.

“If I’m needed to play, I’ll be ready to go. It hasn’t been that long since I played really. As far as my preparation and stuff, I haven’t done anything different since we made the switch,” Collins said.

Chris Johnson, the NFL’s leading rusher, was also limited Thursday. Fisher says Johnson has a sore ankle but will be fine.

Fisher said defensive tackle Jason Jones’ surgery Wednesday to repair a torn rotator cuff went well. The Titans have not made a decision yet on whether to end his season by placing him on injured reserve or replace him on the roster yet.

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
    Practice Report: Rams Getting Healthier
    by r8rh8rmike
    Practice Report: Rams getting healhier

14 hours ago • By Jim Thomas [email protected]

A slightly healthier Rams team took part in a full practice Thursday after what was a one-hour walk-through a day earlier.

"It was a great practice today," coach Jeff Fisher said. "I think they really benefited from (Wednesday's) schedule. "We got a lot of players back. Many more participated today."

For openers, DE William Hayes (foot) and C Scott Wells (elbow) were full participation Thursday after not practicing at all during Wednesday's walk-through.

S Rodney McLeod (knee) and LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar (toe) were upgraded to limited participation after sitting out Wednesday.

CB Trumaine Johnson (knee), C Tim Barnes (shoulder), WR Kenny Britt (hip), CB Marcus Roberson (ankle), and DB Lamarcus Joyner (hip) were all upgraded to full participation Thursday after being limited Wednesday.

But for the second day in a row, LG Rodger Saffold (shoulder), CB Janoris Jenkins (knee), DT Aaron Donald (shoulder), and S Cody Davis (concussion) did not practice.

Both at center and in the secondary, the Rams went with several combinations of personnel in practice Thursday.

"I can't say with precision who could play right now and who can't," Fisher said. "We may even have some pre-game warm-up decisions to make early Sunday."

IN SAN FRAN. . . .

CB Tramaine Brock (toe) and Patrick Willis (toe) remained listed as limited Thursday by the *****. S Jimmie Ward (quad) was upgraded to full participation after being limited Wednesday.

In contrast to the Rams, who have 13 players listed on their injury report, San Francisco _ which is coming off a bye week _ has only four.

The fourth 49er, CB Chris Culliver (hamstring), has been full participation all week.

"Everybody's dealing with injuries," Fisher said. "We've probably got a little more than most. But you can't consume yourself with that. We're not going to be thinking about who's hurt and who's not at 1 o'clock (Pacific time) on Sunday."

CHRIS LONG'S STATUS

According to league rules on injured reserve/designated for return status, DE Chris Long is eligible to be on the practice field right now following early September foot surgery. But he's not ready to hit the field yet.

"He's a little ways away, but we're very encouraged where he's at," Fisher said. "As he is too. We just want to make sure. There's two issues right now. The surgical procedure is not an issue for him right now."

But because Long was in a cast and couldn't put any weight on the foot for a while, there was some atrophy to the muscles in that leg. "So he has to get all his strength back," Fisher said....
    -10-31-2014, 09:25 AM
  • Nick
    Rams' defensive backfield getting healthier
    by Nick
    Rams' defensive backfield getting healthier
    4 hours ago • BY JIM THOMAS

The Rams were getting so low on cornerbacks for a while during training camp that coach Jeff Fisher cut out a period in practice.

"We were a little nervous last week towards the end," Fisher said.

But as expected, three cornerbacks and four defensive backs total returned to the field Monday as the Rams got back to work following a day off Sunday.

Cornerbacks Josh Gordy, Jerome Murphy and Kendric Burney returned, as did safety Darian Stewart. They all took part in 11-on-11 work during Monday afternoon's practice at Rams Park after being sidelined a few days last week mainly because of general leg soreness and tight hamstrings.

Stewart, in fact, was back working with the starting defense, meaning the rotation at free safety apparently continues between him and Craig Dahl.

At cornerback, it was important for Murphy, Gordy and Burney to return as soon as possible because of the competition for backup jobs there. Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins and Bradley Fletcher appear to have a tight grip on the top three jobs. But most teams keep about six cornerbacks on their 53-man roster, and third-round pick Trumaine Johnson also is in the mix.

"Just like every year, you've got to go out there and prove yourself," said Gordy, who was impressive during the spring practice period. "They keep the guys they want to keep, and the best guys are going to play."

Elsewhere on the roster, wide receiver Danario Alexander got his first 11-on-11 work of camp Monday after missing time because of a hamstring issue. Also back after missing a day or two last week were tight ends Lance Kendricks and DeAngelo Peterson plus fullback Todd Anderson.

Left tackle Rodger Saffold took part in individual position drills after being held out of Saturday's practice at the Edward Jones Dome. Rookie running back Daryl Richardson, who suffered a fairly significant hamstring injury during summer training, continues to be limited to individual drills.

With all those players returning in some fashion, only defensive tackle Trevor Laws and center Scott Wells were held out of practice completely Monday out of the 89 players on the roster. That's a remarkably low total considering the Rams are 10 days into camp and it has been nearly two weeks since the rookies reported.

Wells, the free-agent pickup from Green Bay, is progressing in his rehab from spring knee surgery.

"He's doing well inside — doing very well with the knee," Fisher said. "He is taking every walk-through rep with us, so from a football standpoint he's not behind whatsoever. He's actually doing very well. So he's on pace and he'll be able to participate at some point in a preseason game."

Laws, a free-agent addition from Philadelphia,...
    -08-07-2012, 11:44 AM
  • RamWraith
    Rams cornerback trying to recapture form after injury
    by RamWraith
    R.B. FALLSTROM

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - The first hit was the worst part of Travis Fisher's comeback. After being out since the preseason with a broken right forearm, the St. Louis Rams' cornerback thought he had broken it again.

"It was aching real bad," Fisher said Wednesday. "You can't help but notice it when it's hurting."

It ended up being just a scare for the third-year player, who made it through the entire game against the Dolphins two weeks ago. That game ended up helping him shake off some rust and he'll be trying to shake off more on Sunday against the Patriots.

"I think anytime you take a blow and break a bone, it's a setback," Fisher said. "It's going to be hard. But I'm getting there."

Fisher, a second-round pick in 2002, was out more than two months after being injured Aug. 23 against the Chiefs in the next-to-last preseason game. So any struggles were understandable, especially considering that he only had a few practice days to prepare.

"I felt like I could go out there and make some plays," he said. "I made a couple and I missed a couple. Those are gone and I'm working hard in practice on the things I messed up on."

Coach Mike Martz said he probably rushed Fisher back to action, considering how long he'd been sidelined. He was anxious to get him on the field and solidify a secondary that's been banged-up much of the season.

Fisher started 29 games the last two seasons, and last year he tied for the team lead with four interceptions. But his arm, which still is held together with a plate and screws, is not yet 100 percent.

"I was remiss in not spelling him in that game in Miami," Martz said. "That's a coaching error on my part. He is absolutely, I think, a top-flight cornerback."

Fisher ran and lifted weights for three days with the rest of the team last week, and on Monday he looked like a different player to Martz.

"He had conditioned really well but still it's different than playing the game," Martz said. "He's there now, I believe."

Fisher said the most difficult part of coming back is executing the fundamentals that become rote over time. He's a former high school sprint champion in Florida, so reacting to the pace of the game has been less of a factor.

While Fisher was out, DeJuan Groce started four games at his right cornerback spot. Jerametrius Butler, the regular at left cornerback, started one game there when Aeneas Williams was moved to cornerback, and Kevin Garrett also started one game.

Now, the shuffling is over.

"I bring a lot to the game," Fisher said. "I go out and try to make something happen and I just love playing the game."

Notes:@...
    -11-04-2004, 04:07 PM
  • RamWraith
    Vicious Hit Can't Keep Fisher Down
    by RamWraith
    Wednesday, January 5, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Staff Writer

Entering the season, defensive end Bryce Fisher was just another guy attempting to make a name for himself.
    Easily lost in the shadow of star end Leonard Little, Fisher didn’t have to be a Pro Bowler, just a solid complement to Little, who was sure to start drawing double and triple teams. Now, Fisher has become one of the NFC’s top pass rushers in the past month.

For most of the season, Fisher has been up and down, but in the past four games, he has been a force. He was rewarded for his stout work when he was named the NFC’s Defensive Player of the Month on Wednesday.

Fisher posted 31 tackles, five sacks and a pair of forced fumbles in the month to earn the honor. His performances in the past two weeks have probably been his best.

He earned the NFC Defensive Player of the Week award for his two-sack outing against Philadelphia on Dec. 27 and had 10 tackles and another pair of sacks against the Jets last week. Those performances helped Fisher become the team’s sack leader for the regular season with 8.5.

“I think I have played pretty well over the last couple of weeks,” Fisher said. “I had a couple of games early on in the year, but probably didn’t get noticed because we weren’t able to come out with a win. When we win, it’s easier to highlight guys who are playing well.”

Entering the season, Fisher was asked to replace fan favorite Grant Wistrom, who moved on to Seattle in the offseason. That was a tall order and one that Fisher might not have been ready to meet.

He played well early in the season, but he suffered a serious setback on Oct. 24 at Miami. Dolphins’ safety Tony Bua laid a devastating hit on Fisher on a punt that caused Fisher to lay grounded for awhile.

Coach Mike Martz called the hit one of the most vicious he has seen.

“I do know this. In my opinion, that hit that Fisher took down in Miami set him back quite some time,” Martz said. “That was a crushing blow. That’s the biggest hit that I’ve ever seen in football. It took him some time to get over that thing.”

The Rams went into the bye week after that, but Fisher had trouble recovering both mentally and physically.

“I don’t want to make excuses, but it shook me a little bit,” Fisher said. “It was definitely hard as far as I couldn’t breathe for a couple of weeks right and I was coughing up blood for another 10 days or so. I don’t think that was necessarily the reason for that four weeks or so when I didn’t play very well. It was more just not making plays when I had the opportunity.”

Now, Fisher is making the most of every opportunity he gets. His performance against the Eagles was even more impressive considering the fact that he was in on just 17 snaps.

His development has come at the right time for...
    -01-06-2005, 06:26 AM
  • MauiRam
    Haggan hopes for more playing time with the Rams
    by MauiRam
    BY JIM THOMAS
    Thursday, May 17, 2012

At 32, new Rams linebacker Mario Haggan isn't against mentoring the younger linebackers on the squad. But he didn't sign a free-agent contract just to provide veteran leadership.

"I'm always going to compete and try to earn a starting job," Haggan said Wednesday, following his first practice as a Ram. "That's first and foremost. But along the way, I'm going to help some of the guys that need help. Because the better they are, the better we are as a team, the better I am as a player."

Haggan, who spent his past four seasons with Denver, took his time finding a new team. He said the Broncos showed some interest in re-signing him, but given the dearth of veteran linebackers in St. Louis, he figured the Rams might provide a better opportunity for playing time.

"Fresh start for me," he said. "Fresh opportunity. This is a young team with an established quarterback. I've heard so many good things about Coach Fisher; you talk to guys across the league and they all wish they could play for him. And it's close to home. Maybe my family can come see me play more in St. Louis."

Haggan is from Clarksdale, Miss., near Memphis.

The Denver defensive scheme isn't that different from the Rams' defense, so that could ease his transition. It looks like he'll compete for the starting position at strongside linebacker.

"Mario's played very well in that system," coach Jeff Fisher said. "In addition to that, he's a very talented special teamer. A great guy for the locker room and gives us some experience at the position."

Missing in action

Rookie wide receivers Brian Quick and Chris Givens weren't at practice Wednesday and will miss the rest of the week because they're participating in NFL Players Association Rookie Premiere activities in Los Angeles.

"They're out in Southern California," Fisher said. "It's mandatory by the league that they go out there, so unfortunately they're missing some quality work."

Rookie Premiere activities include a photo shoot, signing rookie cards and other promotional activities. "Really great timing," Fisher joked, referring to the missed practice time.

Also missing Wednesday was rookie free agent Nick Schwieger, a running back from Dartmouth. Dartmouth is on the quarter system, meaning Schwieger can't return to practice with the Rams until the completion of final exams at Dartmouth. Running back Isaiah Pead, punter Johnny Hekker and tight end Cory Harkey also are missing because their colleges are also on quarter systems.

Hanging it up

Linebacker Derrick Choice, an undrafted rookie from Stephen F. Austin, has left the team and quit football.

"He decided that he had enough football,"...
    -05-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Working...
X