Vick recipient of Block Courage Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vick recipient of Block Courage Award

Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick, who joined the Eagles this season after serving 18 months in federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring, has been named recipient of the team's Ed Block Courage Award.

Given annually, the award honors NFL players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. Recipients are selected in a vote by their teammates for team effort as well as individual performance.

Vick was signed to a $1.6 million contract by the Eagles during the preseason, with a team option for next year worth $5.2 million. He was granted full reinstatement to the league on Sept. 3 by commissioner Roger Goodell, who allowed him to return to the field in Week 3.

In 12 games, Vick has completed 6 of 13 passes for 86 yards and a touchdown this season and has also rushed 24 times for 95 yards and two scores. All three of Vick's touchdowns have come in the last three games.

Vick was given a prison sentence in December 2007 of up to 23 months, receiving a harsher sentence than his co-defendants in the federal conspiracy case because he gave "less than truthful" statements about killing pit bulls. He completed the sentence under house arrest.

The Eagles were criticized by animal rights activists for signing Vick less than a month after he was released from prison. Dozens of protesters voiced their outrage outside the team's practice facility the day after Vick was signed, and many fans threatened to give up their tickets.

But Vick got a warm reception in his first game with the Eagles and by most accounts has been a model citizen off the field.

The public will get an inside look at his life during an eight-part television series, described as part reality TV/part documentary, scheduled to debut on BET next year.

Vick, along with one player from each of the other 31 NFL teams, will be honored at the Ed Block Courage Award Banquet in March in Baltimore.
    Appears Vick has been a model teammate and citizen this season.

Re: Vick recipient of Block Courage Award

Originally posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Appears Vick has been a model teammate and citizen this season.
    It's not his role model citizenship in question.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Vick also finished second in the voting for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Comment

Given annually, the award honors NFL players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage.
        I'm still trying to figure out the courage part. Does it take courage to stay off the police blotter for a few months while earning 1.6 million dollars? Maybe it's his "future" courage they are looking at. I hear that's the way awards work these days.

Comment

They're dressin him up and gettin ready to move him.

Comment

Good for him!

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
              I'm still trying to figure out the courage part. Does it take courage to stay off the police blotter for a few months while earning 1.6 million dollars? Maybe it's his "future" courage they are looking at. I hear that's the way awards work these days.
              I've stayed off the police blotter = where's my money and award?

Comment

Look at that! He's courageously thrown for less than 50 percent!

Comment

Shouldn't we get a "courage" award for still being Rams fans?

Comment

What a humble man.

"I've had to overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can bear," Vick said. "Take a look at what I've been through. You ask certain people to walk in my shoes, they probably couldn't do it — probably 95 percent of the people in this world."

Comment

I haven't seen this quote. Where is it from? I'd like to read the whole article.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
                        I haven't seen this quote. Where is it from? I'd like to read the whole article.
                        I sent you the link in a pm, anyone who wants the article can find it on espn.com

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                          For Marcus Vick, when it rains it pours
                          by Nick
                          I would be shocked if VA Tech accepts him back....
                          -01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
                        • Tony Soprano
                          - - - Rams to Pursue Michael Vick! - - -
                          by Tony Soprano
                          Rams to Pursue Michael Vick!

"Several people in the NFL told me not to rule out St. Louis as a possible destination for Vick. The Rams might have some ownership issues to deal with before actually signing him, but they have genuine interest. They’ve been doing their due diligence on Vick, and if the Commissioner does reinstate him, look for them to actively pursue him. It makes sense — a new coach with an older quarterback who hasn’t played well. Playing in a dome on carpet would highlight Vick’s speed and athleticism. "

The Redzone - Best NFL News and Links
                          -05-31-2009, 01:35 PM
                        • MauiRam
                          Vick would bring buzz to Rams
                          by MauiRam
                          Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
                          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                          01/17/2010

Michael Vick served 19 months in federal prison for his role in running an extremely cruel and heinous dogfighting ring. If you believe Vick deserves additional penalties, then imagine the punishment he'd receive by playing quarterback for the Rams.

It could happen, if the Philadelphia Eagles decide to release or trade Vick after deciding not to pick up his option for 2010. Vick was a part-time quarterback and designated wildcat-formation runner for the Eagles this season. Considering his long layoff and two years out of the game, Vick played pretty well. Moreover, Eagles coaches praised Vick's dedication and the positive changes he made in his life. But it would be costly to keep Vick as a backup, and Vick would prefer being a No. 1 quarterback elsewhere.

The Rams need a starting quarterback. The Rams need a lot of things, as evidenced by their 6-42 record and last-place NFL ranking in points scored over the last three seasons.

So yes, there is a fit. And there are some obvious connections in play here. Rams GM Billy Devaney was part of the Atlanta organization during Vick's career there and visited Vick in prison. Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur are former assistants to Eagles coach Andy Reid and they trust his judgment. If Reid recommends Vick, Spagnuolo will listen.

Vick may have other, more appealing, options. Several NFL teams are on the lookout for starting quarterbacks and Vick's stock is up after his positive experience in Philadelphia.

"I tried to be the best ambassador that I could be in the community," Vick told Philadelphia reporters. "And that won't stop. I'll continue to do that, and I'll continue to work hard."

If the Rams get the chance to land Vick, would the relationship work?

There's Vick, the quarterback. Would he be effective? And then there's Vick as a high-profile figure. Would Rams fans accept his arrival or be offended by his presence? Recently I set up an unscientific poll on my "Five Minutes" blog at STLtoday.com. I posed a simple question: Yes or no on Vick as the Rams' QB?

Of the 10,551 respondents, 62 percent were in favor of Vick becoming a Ram.

I've heard from Rams fans who insist they'll cancel their season tickets if Vick is signed. And there's little doubt the Rams would face some passionate, vociferous anti-Vick protests. But I've also heard from fans who say the addition of Vick would motivate them to keep their tickets. They're tired of the dull football and believe Vick would bring excitement to games.

Those opposing Vick probably would be more visible and louder than those who support him. Some of the initial anti-Vick sentiment would fade, just as it did in Philadelphia.

OK, now...
                          -01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
                        • ramsanddodgers
                          Vick Pleads Stupidity. World Agrees.
                          by ramsanddodgers
                          Vick Pleads Stupidity. World Agrees.
                          Written by Hugh G. Rection
                          Tuesday, 29 May 2007
                          ATLANTA (AP) -- Michael Vick blamed his woefully low IQ for taking advantage of him after a police raid found evidence of dog fighting at property he owns in Virginia.

An animal rights group scoffed at that explanation, saying they long suspected the Atlanta Falcons quarterback was involved in the fight-to-the-death activity. Vick responded to the group's accusations asking "Are they kidding? That kind of thing takes organization, planning, and the ability to make change"

Embroiled in another embarrassing -- and perhaps criminal -- situation, Vick traveled to New York on Friday to take part in a Memorial Day parade, but got lost inside the airport and missed the entire event.
                          Appearing at a news conference to ask directions on how to tie his shoes and get home he described himself as an unwitting victim of relatives living on his property in Smithfield, VA who realize how bereft of basic intelligence he is.

"I'm never at the house as I can't find it on a map. I left the house with my family members and my cousin who said they were running a business providing day care to attack dogs. It's unfortunate I am not smarter," Vick said. "Even if I'm there, I don't know what's going on. Mixing metaphors he added "When it all boils down to brass tacks, two in the hand is a penny saved"

John Goodwin, who handles dog-fighting issues for The Humane Society of America and clearly has never spoken with Vick, was skeptical that Vick was unaware of such a large operation -- especially when police were led to the property as part of a drug investigation after arresting the quarterback's 26-year-old cousin. In addition he doubts Vick's sincerity in his claim that he has no idea how his football cleats became caked with dog ****.

Falcon's spokesman Reggie Roberts said the team would not have a comment until it got more details and a copy of Vick's high school transcripts. Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, did not return a telephone message seeking comment. However, his law partner attorney Ron Mexico did add he was sure Vick would be "exhenerated of all such falaciating acumazations"

The NFL said it is looking into the matter. Commissioner Roger Goodell has made it clear he intends to crack down on players involved in off-the-field misconduct and who are unable to come up with better excuses than Vick.

A recent string of embarrassing incidents have involved Vick including a lawsuit that accused him of knowingly infecting a woman with a sexually transmitted disease, and flashing an obscene hand gesture to heckling Atlanta fans as he walked off the field following a loss In January. Security officers at Miami International Airport seized a water bottle from Vick that they said smelled...
                          -07-12-2007, 07:01 PM
                        • AvengerRam_old
                          As Vick falls, the media begins cycle of shame anew.
                          by AvengerRam_old
                          Have I mentioned how much I hate the media?

Here's the latest. On radio talk shows... on the internet... in the newspapers... the latest trend with respect to the Michael Vick fiasco is to ask "why are we giving this so much attention?" or "aren't we overreacting?" or (my favorite) "why don't we pay this much attention to crimes against humans?"

Let's be perfectly clear here. The media is responsible for this whole thing. The cycle goes like this:

1. Build up a young exciting player by over-hyping him as "the next ______" even before he plays a down in the league.

2. Continue to build him up even as his actual peformance shows serious limitations, to the point where endorsement deals bring him to near iconic status.

3. Break the big story of his fall from grace, then splash it on the front page for weeks.

4. When people start getting bored, take the other side and accuse the public of making too much of the story.

5. Make Michael Vick the victim.

6. Hope he comes back so you can really sell a "from the ashes" story.

We've seen it before. Mike Tyson went through the whole cycle. The media is itching for guys like A-Rod to fall. Even outside the sports world, we see the same pattern with actors and musicians.

The reality is that Vick is almost certainly guilty of crimes that deserve punishment. Others have done worse things, but that does not excuse Vick or reduce the necessity to deal with his actions harshly. But all that said, if Vick were merely an average NFL QB (let's say Chad Pennington or Aaron Brooks or Jeff Garcia) who wasn't built up like Vick was, it wouldn't be such a big story.

Mark Twain said it best. "If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do, you're misinformed."
                          -08-18-2007, 09:37 AM
                        Working...
                        X