X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Westbrook to be released

Eagles to cut ties with Westbrook

ESPN.com news services

The Philadelphia Eagles announced Tuesday they will release running back Brian Westbrook.

A news conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET Tuesday to announce the move.

"Brian is one of the greatest Eagles of all time and he is an even a better person and leader," coach Andy Reid said. "In my mind, there has not been a more versatile running back that the NFL has seen. I had a conversation with Brian this morning to let him know. This is by far the most difficult part of this job. We wanted to make this move in order to maximize Brian's chances of landing with another NFL team."

Westbrook, who has been with the Eagles since 2002, is the franchise's all-time leader in yards (9,785) after being selected in the third round from Villanova.

"Brian Westbrook is one of the most electric players in the history of this franchise and is certainly also one of the most popular," Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement. "He was personally one of my favorite players to watch each and every Sunday and his playmaking abilities, leadership and values will be missed."

Said team president Joe Banner: "We all know how valuable Brian was as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles and he will certainly go down as one of the greatest Eagles of all time. But what really showed me how special a person Brian is, was watching the way he interacted with my children. That said more to me about Brian than anything else he could have done on the playing field. We will miss him both as a person and as a player."
    Given Shurmur's connection to Philly, we should keep an eye on this one. If Westbrook (who was rumored to be considering retirement at one point) is healthy and willing to take on a No. 2 role (for a No. 2 price), he could be a good option.

Re: Brian Westbrook to be released

I agree Av, talk about a perfect part-time back. Westbrook if healthy would be a great fit.
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

i guess Andy Reid was too busy eating hotdogs and taco bells to have seen Marshall in his day to make THAT comment about Westbrook..;)

Westbrook was a great player no doubt..and as a situational player he could still do a good job if he checks out fit and healthy...knowing his history of concussions would make me cringe whenever he got hit in the helmet tho..like it did when Trent came back to us.

Comment

Wow nice I was being dumb talking about LT coming to our team but I actually think this could come to frutation if the health and price checks out...

Comment

Why on Earth would Westbrook want to end his career in St. Louis? I see him going to a contender like the Super Bowl Champs to play a back-up role.

Comment

Originally posted by sb34rams View Post
            Why on Earth would Westbrook want to end his career in St. Louis? I see him going to a contender like the Super Bowl Champs to play a back-up role.
            Because free agents can pick the teams that are interested in them and set the price at whatever level they wish, right?

I suppose if the Rams and Saints offered the same contract, he'd probably go with New Orleans. However, that's not how free agency works.

Comment

If Jackson goes down for 4 games, could you imagine Westbrook holding the load full time or is he strictly a part time player?

Personally, I'd rather have Chester Taylor or (wait for it) Cadillac Williams if released.

Comment

Westbrook would be a great addition, no doubt about it. He is not durable enough to be an every down back, but he would compliment Jackson perfectly.

The trick now is convincing him to come to STL.

He can't have too many years left, but if we convince him we are in position to turn the ship around in the next two or three years, he might just hop on board.

Comment

Ya, cause we cant persuade players to come here. Who does Jason Brown play for again.

Comment

For Westbrook's sake I hope nobody signs him. With all of his concussions he probably shouldn't keep playing in the NFL. After watching the special on concussions in the NFL on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show it really scares me to see players who have had multiple concussions come back and play. I don't want Westbrook to be a vegetable by the time he's 40 like some NFL players who had multiple concussions.

Comment

Westbrook has informed his agent he is through. He's done.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
                        Westbrook has informed his agent he is through. He's done.
                        Stick the fork in!
                        sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Heck, I read earlier that he was through.....then I heard on the Herd that he wants to play.

Offseason spin......gotta love it

Comment

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
                            Ya, cause we cant persuade players to come here. Who does Jason Brown play for again.
                            His paycheck, as he proclaimed after he signed.

Comment

The Saints have enough trouble spreading the ball around to their backs as it is, let alone adding another one into the mix.

Chargers or Pats perhaps?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• LA Rammer
                                Westbrook expected to make decision by Monday
                                by LA Rammer
                                Posted by Ken Newhouse on August 12, 2010 2 Comments

Free agent RB Brian Westbrook is expected to make a decision on where he is going to play in 2010 by this coming Monday. The teams that are in contention for signing Westbrook are the St. Louis Rams, Denver Broncos, and the Washington Redskins. It is not said whether there is a fourth team in contention to sign Westbrook, but we’ll have to wait and see.

The former pro bowler had many stellar seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles. Due to injuries, he was limited to playing time last season. Then in February of this Westbrook was released by the Eagles. He had reportedly been offered a contract by the Redskins a couple of months ago but turned it down, trying to wait and see if anything better on the market popped up.

Westbrook’s best option would probably be in St. Louis, because he would have more playing time behind Steven Jackson. Even though the Rams don’t have a great chance of contending in 2010, Westbrook would likely recieve the biggest contract offer from the Rams.

Washington doesn’t seem like a good fit for Westbrook due to a crowded backfield already. While Denver has just signed another duo of running backs, he doesn’t seem like a fit there either.

The only issue with the Rams signing Westbrook, is that he has had knee troubles in the past. Since the Rams have turf on their fields then it is more of a possibility of him suffering an injury. Either way, the Rams need a proven backup for Steven Jackson, and Brian Westbrook might just be the best fit.
                                -08-12-2010, 05:14 PM
                              • RealRam
                                Brian Westbrook still a possibility for Rams?
                                by RealRam
                                :helmet:

Brian Westbrook may still be on St. Louis Rams with list
                                BY JIM THOMAS • Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 12:10 am...
                                -08-15-2010, 01:38 AM
                              • rammer74
                                westbrook?
                                by rammer74
                                Hi Guys
                                any truth in this rumour found on the nfluk forum ?
                                Word is Westbrook has passed his physical and is talking to the rams now about a contract .
                                -04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
                              • BarronWade
                                Keep your eye on Brian Westbrook!
                                by BarronWade
                                I know there was a thread about getting B-West wen he got released but this is sorta different.

iight so many mock drafts have us taking Jahvid Best in the 2nd or a 3rd round running back mainly because they are BPA.

But what if we do trade out of #33 or we just dont take a RB in both rounds. So far there hasnt been much for Westbrook.

If he is still available after the draft and we dont draft a RB should we get Westbrook?

Pat shurmur has first hand knowledge on how Westbrook helps the QB and he is not the main back so Westbrook will rest alot more.

This is how i see it. Bulger is on the roster until we get Bradford. So after the draft we cut Bulger and sign Westbrook to that roster spot for the money that we save on the Bulger release.
                                -03-13-2010, 12:10 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Westbrook has Rams' attention
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                Friday, Sep. 05 2008
                                After a big game, it's not unusual for NFL running backs to take their
                                offensive line out to dinner.

After a big 2007 season, Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook went one better — one
                                giant step better. He sent his offensive line and their families on vacation.

"Because they've done such a great job for me, and helped me be the type of
                                player that I want to be, I wanted to reward them as well as their wives to
                                take a trip and enjoy themselves and get away from football a little bit,"
                                Westbrook said.

"They had the option to go wherever they wanted to. And some guys took
                                advantage of that. ... They went all over the place."

On Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field, it's up to the Rams' defense to make sure
                                Westbrook doesn't get his line started on another "vacation" season. Easier
                                said then done, of course. Westbrook doesn't get the notoriety and acclaim of
                                some of the other elite backs around the league, but make no mistake, he has
                                the Rams' full attention this week.

"I personally think he's one of the top three backs in the league," defensive
                                back Ron Bartell said.

"The whole focal point, I think, will be Westbrook," defensive end Leonard
                                Little said.

More than Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb?

"I think moreso, Little replied. "For us to win this game, we're going to have
                                to slow Westbrook down."

Westbrook certainly has the numbers to merit such praise. He set a franchise
                                record for receptions last season (90), as well as a franchise mark for yards
                                from scrimmage (2,104). With 1,333 rushing yards and 771 receiving yards,
                                Westbrook became just the third player in NFL history with 1,300 yards rushing
                                and 750 receiving in the same season.

The other two? Former Ram Marshall Faulk and current Ram Steven Jackson. Faulk
                                did it twice with St. Louis and once with Indianapolis. Jackson did it once, in

So what does Westbrook do for an encore after a career year that resulted in a
                                lucrative contract extension?

"That's the challenge for Brian," said Eagles coach Andy Reid. "He's done so
                                well over the last few years and continued to get better. So his challenge is
                                to do even a better job and even surpass the numbers that he put up last
                                (year). That's the way he approached the offseason. He's worked very hard, even
                                through the contract situation that he was rewarded with for his great play."

In part because he is similar in size — at 5 feet 10 and 203 pounds — Westbrook
                                has drawn comparisons to Faulk. But the similarities extend beyond physical...
                                -09-05-2008, 05:25 AM
                              Working...
                              X