The New Jmarc: Slimmer and Quicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Jmarc: Slimmer and Quicker

When QB JaMarcus Russell didn’t turn up at the first day of the Raiders’ voluntary offseason workouts Monday, it created a buzz. As it turns out, Russell had been excused to tend to personal business. Russell showed up , the team confirmed, although his “new” body couldn’t be seen because the Raiders aren’t making him available to the media.
    Raiders director of squad development Willie Brown told Comcast SportsNet Bay Area during an interview Monday that Russell was closing on a new home in Alabama and promised that when he did show up on Tuesday, a different quarterback would appear.
    “You’ll be surprised when you see him,” Brown told Raiders play-by-play announcer Greg Papa on Chronicle Live. “It’s quite a bit of weight that he’s lost. … I don’t want to pin it down and say how much he lost, but it will be a significant difference when you see him compared to last year. The most important thing is he’s getting in shape. Not only losing weight but getting in shape.”
    Brown also confirmed an earlier report that Russell has been working out at the Athletes’ Performance training facility in Tempe, Ariz., while also noting that the Raiders assigned a former player who has been with him to monitor his progress.
    “A lot of people don’t understand what JaMarcus has gone through in the last year,” Brown said. “JaMarcus has done all the right things. … I guarantee you this: He’s totally different from last year because of the things he went through.

--Per NFL.com blogs

Hmm, what does this mean. Could Jamarcus Russell be tired of being called a fat a** and decide that he wants to live up to his vast potential?

Re: The New Jmarc: Slimmer and Quicker

so since he is lighter does he now suck more, pound for pound?

Comment

Interested to see if his hard work will pay off... loads of potential, but has only shown a few flashes too far and few between as of now.

Comment

Apparently he weighed in at something like 270 lbs
        Still well above his listed playing weight of 260, but lower than the 300 lbs he reportedly ballooned to during the season
        @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by benton45™ View Post
          so since he is lighter does he now suck more, pound for pound?
          I laughed.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Curly Horns
            Rich Gannon says he's confident
            by Curly Horns
            JANIE McCAULEY
            AP Sports Writer
            ALAMEDA, Calif. — Rich Gannon is more than a year removed from his MVP award, turns 39 in December, and swears he is 100 percent healthy and not the least bit concerned about the addition of backup Kerry Collins to the Oakland Raiders' quarterback mix.

Gannon's still No. 1 in the minds of the Raiders and Collins, too.

"I'm as hard on myself as anybody," Gannon said Tuesday, when the Raiders began a three-day voluntary minicamp. "I set the bar very high — I think as anyone who's been around me would know. I don't really need anybody to come in to make me work harder to compete, to help me focus or challenge myself.

"In my opinion, I'm here to work with Kerry and help him and help our team win. That's what my focus is going to be."

Gannon had one of the most productive offseasons of his 17-year career as he recovered from surgery to repair a tear in his shoulder. He's been throwing almost every day this spring.

He was knocked out of the Raiders' 17-10 loss to Kansas City last Oct. 20 and had surgery in November.

"If I threw three days a week in the offseason that was a lot. Now I'm throwing every day," Gannon said. "I'm much further ahead than I would have been had I not had the surgery."

He has looked crisp and strong in both minicamps so far. He completed a few passes of more than 25 yards Tuesday, though the bulk of his tries were shorter than 15.

There had been speculation the Raiders might opt not to take on the $7 million salary Gannon is set to make in 2004 — and he has repeatedly said he won't take a pay cut. The franchise hasn't seemed to lose faith in the man who led them to the 2002 Super Bowl.

"I've seen Rich from the other side of the field numerous times," new coach Norv Turner said. "Seeing him on this side of the field, he's throwing the ball extremely well. He's one of the more accurate guys I've ever been around."

The Raiders contacted Gannon to inform him they planned to sign Collins, a big, strong-armed quarterback who led a team to the Super Bowl just over three years ago. He was released by the New York Giants on April 28, four days after they acquired Eli Manning, the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Gannon's reaction?

"I don't know what people think, but I do have some intelligence," Gannon said. "You know, I am 38 years old. I think that they looked at what happened a year ago when I did get hurt and they probably felt like they needed to continue to try and improve that position. And, so, it made a lot of sense to me. It didn't surprise me at all."

After Oakland ended last season 4-12 only a year after winning the AFC title — the worst collapse by a previous year's Super Bowl team — Gannon criticized the Raiders. He believes he unfairly...
            -06-24-2004, 10:29 PM
          • Nick
            Steelers deal Antonio Brown to Raiders for 3rd & 5th round picks
            by Nick
            Source: Steelers agree to deal AB to Raiders
            ESPN
            Saturday, March 9, 2019
            Updated: March 10, 8:53 AM ET

Antonio Brown finally has a new home.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to trade their prolific but disgruntled wide receiver to the Oakland Raiders in exchange for a third- and fifth-round pick, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Brown will receive a new three-year deal worth up to $54.125 million from the Raiders, with $30.125 million guaranteed, the source said. He previously had three years and $38.9 million left on his contract with the Steelers, with none of the money guaranteed.

In the end, Brown converted the Steelers' four-year extension at $17 million per year into what amounts to $19.8 million per year in new money.

Brown first indicated on his Instagram account late Saturday night that he was heading to Oakland.

Trades are not official until the new league year begins Wednesday.

This will be the first NFL trade for new Raiders general manager Mike Mayock.

For the Raiders, the addition of Brown provides an explosive deep threat for quarterback Derek Carr that coach Jon Gruden and the rebuilding team desperately need.

In 2018, Brown had eight touchdown receptions on passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield, most in the NFL. The Raiders as a team had four such touchdowns last season.

In 2018, Brown dropped only one pass in 170 targets. The Raiders as a team had 22 drops, tied for ninth most in the league.

In 2018, Brown's average target was thrown 11.2 yards downfield. The Raiders averaged 6.87 air yards per target, the second-lowest mark in the league behind the Detroit Lions (6.85).

The Raiders, who have had one winning season and one playoff appearance since the 2002 campaign, had the 18th-ranked passing game in the NFL last season, averaging 234.4 yards, and their 19 receiving touchdowns were tied for 24th. Jordy Nelson led Oakland receivers with 63 receptions for 739 yards and three TDs.

Gruden raved about Brown before the Steelers visited Oakland in December. Brown was limited to a season-low 35 receiving yards on five catches by cornerback Gareon Conley in the Raiders' 24-21 victory.

"He can run every route you dream up," Gruden said of Brown at the time. "I say that about other receivers, but he can run double moves, he can run by you, he can run crossing routes, he's very good after the catch. What's the greatest thing about this man? I've told all our receivers, if you get a chance to watch him practice, you'll see what unlocks the greatness in him.

"He's the hardest-working man, I think, in football. Hardest-working player I've ever seen practice. I've seen Jerry Rice, I've seen a lot of good ones, but I put Antonio Brown at the top. If there are any young wideouts out there, I'd go watch him...
            -03-10-2019, 06:26 AM
          • HUbison
            Robbins released by Raiders
            by HUbison
            Raiders release center Robbins after he fails physical

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
            July 23, 2004
            ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Former Pro Bowl center Barret Robbins was released by the Oakland Raiders on Friday, a week after he and two other players were fined three game checks for testing positive for the steroid THG.

Robbins confirmed that he had failed the exam and added: ``I'm OK. I just don't want to talk about this right now.''

Robbins, who began training camp last year on the physically unable to perform list, missed two meetings and a walkthrough practice before the 2003 Super Bowl and didn't play in the game. Bill Callahan, then the Raiders coach, said Robbins was incoherent and didn't know where he was when he showed up Saturday night before the game.

Callahan deactivated him and Adam Treu started in his place.

Last season, Robbins showed a new dedication to the Raiders and his teammates following several months of difficulty following that game. He is a recovering alcoholic and was subsequently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He spent 31 days at the Betty Ford Center and was determined to repair his image -- and to return to the Raiders alongside a few teammates who initially didn't want him back.

Robbins, teammate Chris Cooper and free agent Dana Stubblefield were fined three game checks last week for the THG violation. The case had been pending since last fall and the checks were for 2003 rather than 2004.

They also were placed on ``reasonable-cause testing'' for the rest of their careers, and will be suspended for eight games if they test positive for any steroid again.

Robbins, who has played all nine of his pro seasons with Oakland, said he would like to stay in football, but wasn't sure what's next for him.

Robbins made the Pro Bowl for the first time after the 2002 season, but did not play in the game. A year after missing the final 14 games of 2001 with an injured right knee, he was a pivotal part of an offensive line that helped the Raiders produce the league's top offense.

``Barret has been a valuable member of the Raider organization and has been an integral part of the success of the Silver and Black,'' new coach Norv Turner said. ``He has kept the Raiders tradition of great centers alive and we wish him well in his future endeavors.''

Robbins said he has appreciated all the support from Raiders fans.

``Keep coming to the games,'' he said. ``It's been an honor to be a Raider.''

The team opens training camp July 29 in Napa, Calif.
            -07-23-2004, 12:43 PM
          • viper
            A Look at the Oakland Raiders
            by viper
            Wednesday, August 22, 2007
            By Brett Grassmuck
            Stlouisrams.com

After finishing at the bottom of the barrel in 2006, The Oakland Raiders enter 2007 looking to turn things around on all fronts and began by firing coach Art Shell in January after just two seasons. The team turned to University of Southern California offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin to take his shot at turning the Raiders around.

The Raiders were first on the clock in April with the first overall pick in the NFL Draft and selected quarterback JaMarcus Russell out of Louisiana State. Russell turned heads with his play in college, but it may be a while before anyone sees him in the NFL. He has yet to sign a contract and has missed the whole of the Raiders 2007 camp. When a deal gets done, Russell will be way behind the learning curve and will be playing catch-up to their newest addition at quarterback, Daunte Culpepper.

Culpepper takes the reigns of his third team in three seasons after a dismal 2006 with the Miami Dolphins, playing in only four games and passing for less than 1,000 yards. Prior to the signing of Culpepper, the Raiders traded for Detroit Lions quarterback Josh McCown to add depth at the position. Rams fans will remember McCown from his days with the Arizona Cardinals, when he was splitting time with former Ram Kurt Warner.
            The Raiders offense received a boost in their run game with the addition of Dominic Rhodes from Indianapolis. Rhodes, coming of a championship run with the Colts, will give the Raiders a second option at running back as he will share time with LaMont Jordan.

Wide receiver Jerry Porter looks for a fresh start in 2007 after various off-the-field troubles kept him off the field until late October of last year. Combined with fellow wide receiver Ron Curry, who was the team’s leading receiver and one of few bright spots in 2006, the pair could make some noise in 2007 if they are catching passes from a healthy Culpepper or a signed Russell.

The Raiders offensive line was less than stellar last season as they allowed an NFL-high 72 sacks on quarterback Aaron Brooks. Pro-Bowl center Jeremy Newberry will add experience to the line as he comes to the Raiders from their “battle of the bay” rival, the San Francisco *****.

On the opposite side of the ball, the Raiders showed some promise on defense. Anchored by outspoken tackle Warren Sapp, the Raiders defensive line has the ability to clog running lanes and make life tough for opposing running backs.

The Oakland secondary is solid despite the loss of free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson to Green Bay in the offseason. Nnamdi Asomugha is a shutdown corner who will be able to account for the loss of Woodson and become a defensive leader on the team. 2006 first-rounder Michael Huff will step into the starting strong safety role opposite four-year veteran free safety Stuart Schweigert.
            -08-23-2007, 02:18 PM
          • Nick
            JaMarcus Russell struggling with weight, knee issues
            by Nick
            Russell hopeful despite balky knee
            Mike Garafolo
            Updated Aug 25, 2013 9:32 PM ET

Several NFL teams are scrambling for quarterback help right now, thus bringing Trent Edwards, Matt Leinart, John Beck and some other veterans who were unemployed back into the workout carousel.

So why can't JaMarcus Russell get a sniff?

The former No. 1 overall pick of the Oakland Raiders made a highly publicized return to football action this spring via several television and print reports announcing that the biggest bust in recent NFL Draft history was trying to resurrect his career. Russell was working on his mechanics with former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia while trying to shed 50 pounds to get down to 265. He even had a workout with the Chicago Bears in the spring.

And now, his name hasn't been mentioned as being in the mix for the Buffalo Bills, New York Jets or any other quarterback-needy team.

Why? Because his comeback has hit a few bumps, multiple sources told FOX Sports.

Russell hit his target weight after months of training and eating right, but he has had trouble keeping it down since dropping a total of 51 pounds. Russell has always been a big body and often eclipsed 300 pounds, so this will be a constant battle for him.

In addition, Russell has also had issues with one of his knees. Russell has experienced swelling in the joint, and that has limited his ability to work out at full strength. It's surely also a factor in the aforementioned weight gain.

That said, Russell is back in Alabama, telling friends he's working hard and that he hasn’t given up hope of resurrecting his career.

Perhaps Russell’s optimism was stoked this summer when the Bears circled back to speak to him and told him they were interested in signing him. But after speaking to Russell, the Bears decided not to offer him a contract. They instead signed Edwards and Jordan Palmer this month. Edwards and Palmer were the other quarterbacks who worked out for Chicago alongside Russell.

Russell recently worked with former NFL quarterback Steve DeBerg to further hone his mechanics. He has no workouts scheduled with NFL teams. That could change during the season once the quarterback ranks get thinned out even more by injury.

As of now, though, it appears Russell’s chances of returning to the NFL aren’t much better than they were when the Raiders released him after the 2009 season.
            -08-25-2013, 07:24 PM
          Working...
          X