X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cogs becomes a Flipper.

Incognito gets one year deal from Dolphins

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 17, 2010 10:14 AM ET

Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano like their offensive lines nasty and they are about to sign a player once voted the "dirtiest" in the NFL by his peers.

Edgar Thompson of the Palm Beach Post says the Dolphins and Richie Incognito are finalizing a one-year contract. Miami was looking to upgrade the guard position and Incognito provides versatility to play both spots.

The Bengals had Incognito in for a visit and the Colts spoke to him by phone.

UPDATE: Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald writes that it's a one-year deal worth just over $1 million. He could make just over $1.25 million with incentives. It's a "prove it" deal.

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Incognito finally signs with Rams
    by RamWraith
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Sep. 29 2005

Richie no longer is incognito.

Third-round draft pick Richie Incognito signed a four-year, $1.934 million
    contract Thursday, ending a negotiating stalemate that had kept him away from
    Rams Park since the start of training camp nine weeks ago.

The deal includes a signing bonus of $549,000, plus base salaries of $230,000
    this year; $310,000 in '06; $385,000 in '07; and $460,000 in '08. The normal
    signing bonus on a four-year deal for someone taken at Incognito's spot in the
    draft - 81st overall - is around $700,000.

But Incognito's bargaining power was hindered by the fact that he was the
    team's last draft pick to sign - meaning there was only so much money left in
    the Rams' rookie salary cap. In addition, he is still recovering from offseason
    kneecap surgery and is a few weeks from being able to practice.

Incognito's agent hoped that the Rams would include an incentive in the
    contract that would help Incognito recoup that money later in the contract.
    There is no such incentive in the contract, but the Rams did make at least one
    compromise of sorts by guaranteeing this season's base salary.

Incognito, an offensive guard, played most recently at Nebraska.

"It took longer than it should have, but the Rams got a heck of a ballplayer in
    Richie Incognito," said Jack Scharf, Incognito's agent.

Incognito arrived in St. Louis early Thursday evening to sign the contract.

"I don't know where he is in terms of being ready to get on the field," coach
    Mike Martz said. "He has a lot to pick up on."
    -09-30-2005, 05:16 AM
  • chucknbob
    Richie Incognito Suspended Indefinately
    by chucknbob
    I thought about posting this in the Rams forum, but I don't like admitting he was once part of our team...

Here is the long story from ESPN.

The Miami Dolphins have suspended starting guard Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team.
    Incognito was being reviewed by the Dolphins, the NFL and the NFL Players Association for harassment of teammate Jonathan Martin, who left the team last week after a lunchroom incident.
    The Dolphins announced in a statement late Sunday that Incognito had been suspended, adding "we believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time. As we noted earlier, we reached out to the NFL to conduct an objective and thorough review. We will continue to work with the league on this matter."

More From ESPN.com

Based on the allegations that have been reported, the Dolphins had no choice but to suspend Richie Incognito, James Walker writes. Analysis Wagoner: Revisiting Incognito, Rams
    SportsNation: Hazing problem in NFL?
    Radio: Mike & Mike | Ron Jaworski
    Radio: Cris Carter weighs in

Sources told ESPN that one of the significant allegations being reviewed is that Incognito got Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas by some teammates last summer, even though Martin preferred not to travel with the group.
    Rather than go, Martin simply gave Incognito the $15,000, sources told ESPN, fearing the consequences if he did not hand over the money.
    One source said there are other instances of intimidation captured in text messages and at least one demeaning voice mail. In addition, some of the messages were racially charged in nature, according to ESPN and media reports. The alleged racial aspect of the communication was first reported by Fox Sports. Also, Martin's recent reported text communications with Incognito that indicated he did not hold the guard responsible for his absence were sent out of fear of retribution, sources told ESPN.
    Incognito, who has been a part of the Dolphins' six-player leadership council, started all eight games for the Dolphins (4-4). He will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. Backup guard Nate Garner will start in his place.
    Representatives for Martin contacted the team Sunday regarding allegations of harassment and player misconduct, with the Dolphins saying in a statement they have asked the NFL to review the matter.
    Incognito took to Twitter earlier Sunday, saying that he wants his "name cleared." He called the reports "false speculation" and "slander" and said ESPN was hiding behind sources "who are not man enough to put their name behind the BS you report."
    This is not the first time Incognito has been in trouble. In 2009 he got into a verbal altercation with...
    -11-04-2013, 11:34 AM
  • RamDez
    Incognito is still talking to Rams about a contract
    by RamDez
    Incognito is still talking to Rams about a contract
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Wednesday, Aug. 17 2005

Signing offensive tackle Alex Barron to a five-year contract last week didn't
    complete the negotiating "season" for the Rams. They remain one draft pick
    short of having their full complement of players in training camp. Namely,
    third-round draft pick Richie Incognito.

Incognito still is recovering from offseason kneecap surgery, and at minimum
    remains several weeks away from being able to practice. The priority for the
    Rams was signing their healthy draft picks.

But with all the other 2005 draft picks signed and practicing, Incognito
    remains in a contract stalemate with the Rams. In fact, things have reached the
    point that Incognito's agent said his client might never show up.

"I would say it's a viable option for him to sit out the season and re-enter
    the draft in 2006," the agent, Jack Scharf, said.

Incognito was chosen in the middle of the third round, but according to Scharf,
    the Rams are offering fourth-round money.

"I'm not bashing the Rams," Scharf said. "All I've wanted to do this whole time
    is get Richie a contract that's commensurate with his draft position."

The current market value for a player selected in Incognito's draft position is
    a signing bonus of around $525,000. Scharf wouldn't reveal the exact amount of
    signing bonus that the Rams are offering, but it's believed to be at least
    $100,000 lower than $525,000.

Two factors are working against Incognito:

For one, after signing all their other draft picks, the
    Rams don't have enough money in their rookie cap to pay Incognito market value.

For another, the Rams don't know for sure when Incognito will be
    able to play because of the injury.

"We didn't ask the Rams to draft him," Scharf said. "There were plenty of other
    teams calling the morning of the draft that were interested in drafting Richie
    Incognito.

"My whole argument is you knew what you were getting. You knew he was hurt. ...
    He did nothing to prompt this. He didn't hurt himself jumping out of an
    airplane. He didn't hurt himself riding a motorcycle.

"He's been working out and rehabbing eight hours a day, six days a week. Richie
    wants to be there. This isn't a holdout situation."

Jay Zygmunt, the Rams' president of football operations, rarely talks about
    negotiations in the media. And when asked about Scharf's threat to have
    Incognito re-enter the draft, Zygmunt declined to comment on Tuesday.

"We have offered him the remaining cap (money) in our rookie pool, and offered...
    -08-17-2005, 12:15 AM
  • RamWraith
    Incognito wonders when he'll get to play
    by RamWraith
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Sep. 20 2005

The Rams' game Sunday against Arizona was supposed to be a homecoming for
    rookie offensive lineman Richie Incognito. His family has lived in Glendale, a
    northwest suburb of Phoenix, since Richie was in sixth grade.

But the only weekend game involving the Incognito family was younger brother
    Derek's Pop Warner football debut Saturday for the Deer Valley Barracudas.
    Incognito, a third-round draft pick in April, remains unsigned. He attended
    Sunday's 17-12 Rams victory at Sun Devil Stadium, but as a spectator.

"It's a rare situation," Incognito said. "But I've been in a lot of odd
    situations in my life. So it's one of many for me."

Several on-the-field and off-the-field incidents - including fights and
    suspensions - derailed Incognito's college football career. He last played at
    the University of Nebraska in 2003. Incognito, now 22, says he's changing.

"Stuff happens," Incognito said. "Everyone goes through young, wild days.
    Definitely, I've had my days. But days like that are numbered. You can't go on
    like that forever. I want to live a long life. And you've got to just put those
    days behind you."

Maybe those experiences prepared Incognito for his current situation. Maybe
    not. In any event, he remains the only player unsigned in the entire 2005
    draft.

The Rams and Incognito remain apart on contract terms, and the basic dynamics
    of the dispute have remained the same for weeks:

The Rams are offering Incognito a signing bonus that's $117,000 less than the
    market value on a three-year deal for a player taken in his slot (81st
    overall).

Incognito and his agent (Jack Scharf) want a market deal. The Rams say that's
    impossible because they don't have enough money left in their rookie cap to do
    so.

Incognito and Scharf say the Rams could make up the difference with a one-time
    incentive tied to playing time later in the contract.

As a matter of team policy, the Rams say they don't include such features in
    contracts for non-first-rounders.

So Incognito remains in Phoenix, working out, rehabbing from kneecap surgery
    and waiting. He met with the Post-Dispatch Saturday at the Rams' team hotel in
    Phoenix.

"It's given me a good insight into this business," Incognito said. "This isn't
    college, where it's, 'OK, we want you to come play. Here's your room and
    board.' This is just business. They want something from me. Obviously, I want
    something in return. That's kind of where we're at."

Incognito attended the Rams' minicamps...
    -09-21-2005, 05:44 AM
  • RamsFan16
    Rams | Incognito, Team Far Apart on Contract Talks
    by RamsFan16
    Rams | Incognito, Team Far Apart on Contract Talks
    Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:44:21 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams and rookie OL Richie Incognito remain far apart on contract terms. Incognito, the team's third-round pick, is seeking a market deal, but the Rams are offering a signing bonus about $117,000 less that the market on a three-year deal for a player taken in the same slot. St. Louis says they cannot afford a market deal that Incognito is seeking, because they do not have enough money available in their rookie cap to do so. Incognito remains the only player from the 2005 NFL Draft unsigned.

----------------------

Maybe we took this guy to high up.
    -09-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Working...
X