Chris Collinsworth: Seahawks Are Wanna-be's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Collinsworth: Seahawks Are Wanna-be's

Chris Collinsworth, as he usually does, called it as he saw it during the Seattle/New England game. In the last few minutes of the contest, he called the Seahawks “wanna-be’s”, because they couldn’t come through with a win against an elite team. I give credit to Seattle for hanging around with New England, but winning, as opposed to hanging around sets good teams apart from great teams. If the “wanna-be” comment wasn’t enough, Collinsworth also joked that Dan Klecko could start at wideout for the Seahawks after the defensive lineman made a first down catch while playing on offense. The sarcastic statement could be close to the truth after another game of multiple drops by Seattle receivers.

The once heralded #1 defense in the NFL gave up 30+ points for the second straight week, making that 4.3 PPG number after weeks 1-3 look like an aboration. Looks like Seattle is good, but not THAT good.

Re: Chris Collinsworth: Seahawks Are Wanna-be's

While Seattle probably isn't as good as they were thought to be yet, I can't see how you can call a team "wanna-be's" for losing to what many are saying is among the best teams ever, at their home field, no less.

Collinsworth is a fool.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Chris Collinsworth doesn't deserve to speak about the game. He's an idiot that makes his bias obvious.

I remember early last season when he said, "The St. Louis Rams just aren't a good football team." What a moron.

Comment

Collinsworth is an idiot. He may be right this time, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamDez
          Seahawks are happening in Seattle
          by RamDez
          Seahawks are happening in Seattle
          By Lori Shontz

Of the Post-Dispatch
          10/09/2004
          Coach Mike Holmgren (right) has had a steady rebuilding plan, which has ended up paying dividends for QB Matt Hasselbeck (8).
          (Otto Greule Jr./Getty Images)

It wasn't that long ago that on the entertaining Underground Seattle tours, which take tourists under the city to see the old city, now buried by a series of natural disasters, that guides used the city's professional football team as a punchline.

Oh, Seattle's had it's share of disasters Earthquakes, fires . . . Seahawks.

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who arrived in town for the 2001 season, had no idea such jokes were being told. "That would hurt my feelings," he said. He meant it. The one-liner didn't make him laugh.

The fact is, Seahawks jokes wouldn't get much of a laugh anymore.

The Seahawks, who went to the playoffs as a wild card team last season, are returning five Pro Bowl players: Hasselbeck, running back Shaun Alexander, offensive tackle Walter Jones, offensive guard Steve Hutchinson and special teams star Alex Bannister. Their defense, anchored by former Rams lineman Grant Wistrom, is ranked No. 1 in the NFL.

Although the Rams are the defending NFC West champions, the Seahawks are considered the team to beat, and they are also wearing the label "legitimate Super Bowl contender."

All this from a team whose road record over the years has been another surefire laugh line, a team that had never quite captured the heart or mind of its city. Rams defensive end Bryce Fisher, who grew up in Seattle, is typical. He and his friends grew up rooting for the Raiders because the Seahawks were so bad.

But for Sunday's game against the Rams at Quest Field, coach Mike Holmgren is expecting that the sold-out stadium full of screaming fans will be one of his team's advantages.

"It's kind of like when it first happened in St. Louis," Wistrom said. "How fired up everybody was, how new it was to everybody. And the energy that you can feel. It's very exciting to be a part of something like that again, where everyone's appreciated and fans are fired up about it. All everybody wants to talk about is the 'Hawks right now."

In this, his sixth season in Seattle after 13 successful seasons at Green Bay, Holmgren has finally put the Seahawks where he always believed they could be.

"If the organization is willing to stay with you - if they believe in you, first of all . . . and they give you enough time, you should be able to improve," Holmgren said. "And they have done that with us. Now we have pretty good depth, our money situation's in pretty good shape capwise. Hopefully we can keep this thing going and get into the playoffs again."
          -10-10-2004, 01:17 AM
        • Curly Horns
          The entire Seattle Seahawks team will protest the national anthem at opening game
          by Curly Horns
          The entire Seattle Seahawks team will protest the national anthem at opening game

Zach Cartwright | September 8, 2016

The Seattle Seahawks will become the first NFL team to join Colin Kaepernick’s silent protest during the national anthem this Sunday.

In their home opener against the Miami Dolphins, the Seattle Seahawks have planned a “big surprise” during the national anthem, according to starting linebacker Bobby Wagner. Wagner emphasized that the entire roster will take part in the protest, though he didn’t specify if the team would sit or kneel.

“Anything we want to do, it’s not going to be individual. It’s going to be a team thing. That’s what the world needs to see. The world needs to see people coming together versus being individuals,” Wagner told the Seattle Times.
          The team has the support of head coach Pete Carroll, who recently stood up for cornerback Jeremy Lane when he sat during the national anthem in solidarity with San Francisco ***** quarterback Colin Kaepernick last Thursday before Seattle’s final preseason game against the Oakland Raiders.

“[Lane]’s pretty clear on what he did and what he was trying to express and I think it is very simple and so we’ll leave that up to him,” Carroll told the Times.

In addition to Lane and Wagner, starting wide receiver Doug Baldwin has publicly expressed support for Kaepernick on social media. After Kaepernick started receiving blowback for refusing to stand up for the national anthem, Baldwin defended the protest and cast Kaepernick’s critics as ignorant of what free speech entails....
          -09-09-2016, 12:46 PM
        • r8rh8rmike
          Another Monkey For The Seahawks
          by r8rh8rmike
          Just when the Seahawks think they shook the monkey, along comes the Ram dominance in Seattle issue. One of these teams will take a big hit to their mental health on Sunday. I'm looking forward to Isaac Bruce pointing to his helmet on a conquered Qwest Field. I know how you Seahawk fans feel about the good Reverend and I'm sure we all hope he plays, albeit for different reasons.

A Ram win would turn the tables in so many ways, as would a win for the Seahawks. This game is SO huge for both teams in so many ways. It should be a good one.
          -11-07-2005, 09:36 PM
        • r8rh8rmike
          Rams Favored Against Seahawks
          by r8rh8rmike
          If this year has shown us anything, it’s that anything can happen. Here we are again with a huge game against Seattle. A win and we’re back in first place with a chance to control our own destiny. A loss and we’re two games behind, in trouble and in need of help to win the division. They’re up, we’re down. So what’s going to happen? Both teams have looked good, and both teams have looked woeful. Depending on what teams show up to play, we could have any number of outcomes. Considering what has happened the last two weeks and how things look on paper, it’s interesting that the Rams are a slight favorite this weekend. Good omen or bad?

I honestly don’t know what to make of this game, but nothing would surprise me.
          -11-09-2004, 11:57 PM
        • Nick
          What's wrong with the Seahawks?
          by Nick
          By TIM KORTE, AP Sports Writer
          November 15, 2004

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) -- Last summer, the Seattle Seahawks were a trendy pick to reach the Super Bowl.

As they keep reminding themselves, that goal remains attainable. Yet one day after their second loss to NFC West rival St. Louis, everyone from coach Mike Holmgren down was asking the same question.

``Some of the things that happened yesterday, I'm struggling for answers,'' Holmgren said Monday. ``And I don't like that feeling.''

This was one of Seattle's most celebrated games so far, a rematch with the Rams who struck for 23 unanswered points in the final eight minutes on Oct. 10, when St. Louis won 33-27 in overtime.

This time, the Seahawks (5-4) allowed 17 quick points. Seattle's offense couldn't keep up, nor could it reach the end zone. Matt Hasselbeck was 15-of-36 for 172 yards with an interception, and was plagued by poor decisions and drops.

``I expect us to be better than that,'' Holmgren said. ``We missed. We just didn't execute. We didn't catch it very well. We didn't throw it very well, as well as I think we can.''

Shaun Alexander gained 176 yards rushing to put him over the 1,000-yard mark in the ninth game, but he had a key fumble after a nice 35-yard run in the fourth quarter when Seattle was trying to close a 20-12 margin.

Nobody knows what's wrong.

``If I knew, I would tell you,'' Alexander said. ``Obviously, we haven't figured it out. We all have different ideas of what would help. As a team, we're not doing it. We'll eventually figure it out and go from there.''

Holmgren said repeatedly back at training camp that a deep postseason run was possible, provided Seattle's best players all performed well throughout the season.

So far, that hasn't happened.

A Seattle defense that stormed its first three opponents has been up-and-down since. Marc Bulger made six straight completions on the Rams' opening drive Sunday, and he was 11-of-13 with a 14-0 lead after seven minutes.

``We made it too easy,'' Holmgren said.

Hasselbeck -- a Pro Bowler last season -- has had some solid games, mixed with struggles that leave Holmgren scratching his head.

``We're not far from it really exploding and being good,'' Hasselbeck insisted. ``Just like the week before when there were a lot of good plays, it's just 6 inches and it's a good play. That's kind of where we're at.''

Great, but they've been saying that for weeks now. Hasselbeck believes the Seahawks ``are on the other side of that fine line,'' and he maintains there's optimism flowing through the locker room.

Seattle, though, is teetering -- poised to go one way or the other.

-11-16-2004, 07:37 AM
        Working...
        X