Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Claymores fold

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1906615

GLASGOW, Scotland -- The Scottish Claymores NFL Europe franchise has folded due to falling attendance, leaving the league with only one team outside of Germany.

Shutting down the Claymores was the "toughest decision this league has ever had to make," NFL Europe managing director Jim Connelly said Thursday.

The Claymores had been in the league since 1995. The team averaged attendance of 10,800 over 10 seasons, but the numbers have dropped the past three years.

"The economics of our league and the interest shown by other cities have forced us to look at whether there are other markets that give us a greater opportunity of improving our business," Connelly said. "We believe at this time that such an opportunity exists."

The league said a new franchise will be announced "in the near future." Gelsenkirchen, Germany, has been mentioned as a likely venue.

NFL Europe, which serves as developmental league for the NFL, already has four teams in Germany -- the Frankfurt Galaxy, Berlin Thunder, Rhein Fire and Cologne Centurions. The only non-German franchise is the Amsterdam Admirals.

The league was launched in 1991 as the World League of American Football. The league, which originally featured 10 European and U.S. franchises, shut down after the 1992 season.

Re: Scottish Claymores fold

It has always been my impression, that for anyone who has played rugby, players running around with an abundance of protection on aren't seen as particularly tough and thus not very entertaining. It's a tough sell to convince them that there is more enjoyable violence to be seen in watching men with pads on trying to hurt each other.

Comment

Am I the only one who gets a little uneasy over an organization that is made up primarily of Germans periodically invading the Netherlands?

Comment

The fact that the league is still around is good. I am sure the flights to the island were tough and maybe another team on the "mainland" will help.

Now, Dez and DOD can join the real fans of the Rhein Fire ;)

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
          Am I the only one who gets a little uneasy over an organization that is made up primarily of Germans periodically invading the Netherlands?
          Good blitzing, though.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

LOL Bison!

Comment

NFL Europe, which serves as developmental league for the NFL
              I think this quote represents the underlying reason why NFL europe is unsuccesful...

in other words, we are going to send over our not so great players that can't make it onto an NFL squad, get you to pay to watch them and if they are any good we'll take them back thanks... and by the way, you can have one or 2 of your locals on secial teams to keep you happy.

ofcourse NFL europe is doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by elAcky
                I think this quote represents the underlying reason why NFL europe is unsuccesful...

in other words, we are going to send over our not so great players that can't make it onto an NFL squad, get you to pay to watch them and if they are any good we'll take them back thanks... and by the way, you can have one or 2 of your locals on secial teams to keep you happy.

ofcourse NFL europe is doomed.
                I think you have touched on another reason why success is an uphill battle. People are much smarter than marketing executives want to give them credit for. When the Amsterdam Admirals are actually part of the NFL schedule playing teams like the Rams, then Ricky Williams can smoke dope and play football at the same time and fans are more likely to ante up their hard-earned Euros.

Comment

Lets get something correct here.

The Scottish Claymores did NOT FOLD

They were shut down even though the NFL promised that they would remain open for 2 years to allow a build up of a very sucessfull programme.

A programme that has been adopted by all the other european team.

The 10,000 fan base is very disapointed

Comment

afrightertoo, I agree.. if they want to make a go of the NFL in europe they should promote an extra conference in each of the NFL divisions i.e. 8 new teams from europe/russia/med in NFL etc... I think then they will get their attendences... besides the 4 or 5 german teams and the admirals.. the claymore, dragons, monarchs and others would bite.

the key would be making them competitive as they would also need to hav a certain number of home grown players.

Comment

Your absolutely right.....they should be invading France.
                      Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude
                        Your absolutely right.....they should be invading France.
                        Now that's what I would call politically correct.

Comment

Originally posted by elAcky
                          afrightertoo, I agree ... if they want to make a go of the NFL in europe they should promote an extra conference in each of the NFL divisions (i.e., 8 new teams from europe/russia/med in NFL etc...), I think then they will get their attendees ... besides the 4 or 5 german teams and the admirals, ... the claymore, dragons, monarchs and others would bite.

the key would be making them competitive as they would also need to have a certain number of home grown players.
                          Competition is a legitimate concern. The dilution of the level of competition would worry too many influential people. The National Hockey League of America is now facing the dilemma of how fast should expansion have been. I doubt the NFL wants to jeopardize its cash cow in favor of internationalism.

Comment

The dilution of the level of competition would worry too many influential people
                            true.. but on the other hand it seems to have done basketball no harm !!!

maybe relocation of poor performing franschises to europe is an option i.e . the Berlin cardinals, Amsterdam Bengals !!

whats clear is that there current programme is failing miserably.

Comment

This may show my complete ignorance of NFL economics and infrastructure, but why can't the NFL adopt some form of a minor league system. Not as elaborate as MLB, but maybe one minor league team that is affiliated with one NFL team. That would give teams a chance to develop their fringe players and create more interest in smaller markets like Memphis, Birmingham, Portland, Orlando, Des Moines, etc.
                              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• LARAM
                                New All American Football League (AAFL)
                                by LARAM
                                Yesterday, I watched a one hour long special, for the 1st inaugural Draft for the AAFL. I'm not sure what to think. It mostly looks like a bunch of players that couldn't make onto NFL rosters. But regardless, I am looking forward to the games. It just might satisfy me during the dead time after the NFL draft. Not really sure what kind of TV contract the league has though.

One thing I like, is the way they have structured the League and draft rights to players, to allow for a sort of local fan base. The current six teams are allowed exclusive rights to players from universities from within their own states, or within neighboring states......in other words

Team Arkansas...Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas

Team Alabama....Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama

Team Tennessee...South Carolina, Kentucky, Tenn

Team Michigan...Illinois, Indiana, Michigan

Team Florida and Texas...only from within their own states, because of the huge player/University base.

***All other states and Universities are up for grabs

Some other notes:

***College style goal posts and Hash marks, 35 yard OT ball spot....all other NFL rules.

***10 game schedule from April thru July, One playoff round and then Championship game.

***Players salaries topped out at $50,000 dollars

***Tickets for games about $13 dollars

***Players must graduate from college

Some of the players I recognized....

Eric crouch.......Drafted 2nd overall
                                Peter Warrick.....NFL BUST
                                Tee Martin......QB Tenn, 8 years ago
                                Tony Bua........Loved this guy out of Arkansas
                                Marcus Randall...QB out of LSU a couple years ago

Check out the site and draft results:

All American Football League
                                -02-17-2008, 09:25 AM
                              • RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                New football League to compete dirtectly with the NFL
                                by RamFan_Til_I_Die

United Football League Announces “UFL Premiere” Season to Kick-off October 2009
                                NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The United Football League, a new professional outdoor fall football league, will kick-off the “UFL Premiere” season in October 2009. As previously announced, the UFL will feature high quality traditional football played by world-class athletes and will provide fans with affordable, innovative and entertaining game-day experiences.

In its “Premiere” year, the UFL will have four teams playing in at least seven cities. The four teams selected for the “Premiere” season are Las Vegas/Los Angeles, New York/Hartford, Orlando and San Francisco/Sacramento. During the course of the six-week season, these four teams will travel to each city for games. The season will culminate with a Championship Game tentatively scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend in Las Vegas.

“With the confirmation of four teams and the announcement of an infusion of a $30 million investment to operate the league, the UFL is excited to bring affordable, accessible football to underserved markets this October,” said Commissioner Michael Huyghue. “The “UFL Premiere” season will allow us to set the foundation within the cities we feel would be a good fit, demonstrate the terrific talent of the coaches and players at our high level of competition, and integrate innovation into all aspects of the league so we are ready for expansion in 2010.”

In addition to UFL Founder Bill Hambrecht and original investor Tim Armstrong, the UFL is being funded by a consortium of investors including Paul Pelosi. Pelosi is the president of FLS, Inc., a diversified investment and consulting company based in San Francisco and serves on many corporate and philanthropic boards.

The UFL will train and house its players in Casa Grande, Arizona where a $20 million training complex is being constructed for both the city and league use. The UFL will begin signing players in July and training camp will begin in Casa Grande on September 1st. League officials are currently in negotiations with various stadiums and these agreements will be announced as they are finalized. The UFL is also in final negotiations with a major sports cable network for a weekly nationally-televised game.

The UFL will continue its highly popular “Name Your Team” campaign via its website and onsite at the “UFL Premiere” games. All entries will be considered for the six to eight teams that will be included in the UFL’s 2010 season.

The executives behind the UFL are experienced NFL franchise builders. Commissioner Michael Huyghue has over 20 years of NFL management experience and is considered the architect in establishing the Jacksonville Jaguars as the winningest franchise of the NFL within a five-year span in his role as the team's Senior Vice President of Football Operations. While with the NFL, Commissioner Huyghue served...
                                -02-10-2009, 09:49 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                No More Nfl Europe
                                by RamWraith
                                NFL International to focus on global impact:
                                NFL Europa discontinued

(June 29, 2007) -- The NFL has determined that it will switch the focus of its international business strategy to presenting the NFL to the widest possible global audience, including broader media visibility and the staging of international regular-season games, and will discontinue NFL Europa.

"The time is right to re-focus the NFL's strategy on initiatives with global impact, including worldwide media coverage of our sport and the staging of live regular-season NFL games," commented Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International.

"We will continue to build our international fan base by taking advantage of technology and customized digital media that make the NFL more accessible on a global scale than ever before and through the regular-season game experience. NFL Europa has created thousands of passionate fans who have supported that league and our sport for many years and we look forward to building on this foundation as we begin this new phase of our international development."
                                -06-29-2007, 10:31 AM
                              • DJRamFan
                                Arena League eyes Salt Lake for possible expansion
                                by DJRamFan
                                By Aaron Cole
                                Deseret Morning News

Among the bevy of current major-league franchise rumors in Salt Lake City, add one more: an Arena Football League team.
                                An AFL spokesperson confirmed Monday that an ownership group from Salt Lake City has contacted the league about a possible expansion to the Salt Lake area.
                                "We have received a preliminary inquiry from an ownership group in Salt Lake. We will be exploring Salt Lake as a possibility," AFL representative Chris McCloskey said. "Salt Lake is a good market for an AFL team and has a good track record with pro sports franchises, namely the Utah Jazz."
                                While Salt Lake will have to meet several requirements before an expansion team is granted, it does not appear to be beyond reach.
                                No indication has been given as to whether or not Salt Lake would be granted an AFL franchise or a developmental franchise in the AF2 league. The AF2 is the AFL's equivalent of baseball's minor leagues.
                                If placed in the AFL, Salt Lake would be a smaller market, but not the smallest. Current teams exist in Grand Rapids and Austin, both smaller than Salt Lake in relative size. The AFL currently has teams in seven of the 10 major markets in the United States, with several expansion options such as Washington, D.C., and Houston.
                                If placed in the smaller developmental AF2, Salt Lake would be bigger than most current teams, such as Bakersfield and Birmingham.
                                The AFL's popularity and attendance have grown over the past several years, prompting recent expansion to cities such as Denver and New Orleans, and attracting owners such as John Elway and Jon Bon Jovi.
                                Strong ownership is one of the stringent qualifications a potential franchise will have to meet before an AFL team is approved.
                                Although representatives from the AFL league office have said that contact from an interested party from Salt Lake has been preliminary, several additional steps will be necessary in the expansion process.
                                First, an informal inquiry needs to be made from a potential ownership group. Then the AFL will investigate its potential new market. Then, contingent on an approval from the AFL Expansion Committee and Executive Board, three-quarters of the Board of Directors must approve the bid.
                                There are 19 teams in the AFL and 25 teams in the developmental AF2 league.
                                -06-30-2004, 10:01 AM
                              • OldRamsfan
                                5 Things You may not have Known: About The NFL
                                by OldRamsfan
                                5 Things You Didn’t Know: The NFL

Its season is shorter and has fewer scheduled games than any other major American pro sport; nonetheless, the NFL has a firm hold on the title of "national obsession" in the U.S. In fact, it’s a Sunday and Monday night (and sometimes Thursday night) ritual from September through early February for its tens of millions of fans.

As the nation’s top dog, the powerhouse league has faced more than its share of challengers through the years, all eager to get a piece of its hugely lucrative pie. They include the World Football League of the early 1970s, the USFL of the early ‘80s, Vince McMahon’s 2001 XFL, and (excluding the AFL of the 1960s) its toughest challenge, the All-America Football Conference of the 1940s -- none of which lasted beyond four seasons. The NFL has an impressive -- though not perfect -- winning record as the defendant in antitrust lawsuits, and its tremendous influence is slowly stretching beyond America’s vast and lucrative borders.

Without further ado, we present five things you didn’t know about the NFL.

1- The Redskins were the NFL’s last segregated team
                                By 1961, 13 of the league’s 14 teams had, to some degree, been desegregated and featured black players on their rosters. The one hold-out could be found in the nation’s capital. The Washington Redskins were the league’s last all-white team, and whether it was coincidental or not, they were also the worst (from 1959 through 1961, their record was 5-30). Team owner George Marshall had staunchly refused to desegregate, claiming he would do so when the Harlem Globetrotters hired white players. That all changed with the incoming presidential administration.

JFK had been elected, in part, thanks to his pro-civil rights platform, and having the league’s only all-white team in the nation’s capital was an eyesore for the administration. JFK, therefore, instructed his Secretary of the Interior, Stewart L. Udall, to threaten Marshall with federal retribution if the team didn’t hire black players; namely, they would be evicted from District of Columbia Stadium. In doing so, it became the first time in history that the federal government had attempted to desegregate a professional sports team.

2- The NFL scores forfeits 2-0
                                According to the official NFL rulebook, a forfeit occurs: “... when a game is not played because of the failure or refusal of one team to participate. In that event, the other team, if ready and willing to play, is the winner by a score of 2-0” (the points earned in a safety). Why a two-point safety? Because those points are the league’s only scores that are not credited to any one player.

This little-discussed rule is even less frequently applied, since dating back to 1920 there has been just one forfeit. Specifically, December 4, 1921, when the Rochester Jeffersons lost by forfeit to the Washington Pros/Senators....
                                -07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X