Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT.com: Seahawks will NOT franchise Jones

'HAWKS WON'T FRANCHISE JONES AGAIN

Word around the league is that the Seahawks will not place the franchise tag on left tackle Walter Jones for a fourth straight year.

Since 2002, Jones has pocketed well over $20 million through a series of one-year tenders. His agent justified the refusal to accept Seattle's best long-term offer by explaining that, as the franchise player, Jones would make over a three-year period as much or more than he would have made under the first three years of a long-term deal. And then instead of being in the fourth season of that long-term deal, Jones can sign a long-term deal and pocket an eight-figure signing bonus.

But if Jones signs a long-term deal, it apparently won't be with the Seahawks.

The most obvious reason for Seattle's coming decision not to keep Jones is that, under the franchise system, his one-year cap number will inflate from $7.1 million to $8.5 million, which reflects a 20-percent increase over his current salary. With several key players set to become unrestricted free agents, the Seahawks simply can't afford to tie up that much money in one guy.

But we're also hearing that the Seahawks have grown weary of Walter's ways. They don't like the fact that he has skipped camp in each of the last three seasons while wearing the tag, and Jones has a reputation for being a turd off the field. Plus, the team assumes that Jones and his agent will continue to make inflated demands on a long-term deal after the season.

So, in the end, look for Jones to be one of the guys that the Seahawks allow to leave, as they scramble to determine who they'll be able to keep while at the same time staying on the right side of the salary cap.

Re: PFT.com: Seahawks will NOT franchise Jones

Folks, I'm sorry, but I can't take an article seriously when a player's off-field personality is described as...
    has a reputation for being a turd off the field
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Now.. If was described as a dingle berry.. that would be OK!

Comment

I thought we decided to ban all PFT.com articles from ClanRam.

Comment

I'm keepin' 'em alive, baby!

Comment

No I think we agreed that we would ridicule them to the point of extinction LOL

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
              Jones expected to re-sign with Seahawks
              by RamWraith
              Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
              Posted: 2 hours ago

The Seattle Seahawks do not have their front office in place yet but they have still managed to lock up the NFL's best tackle to a new massive contract.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL.

Jones, who recently played in yet another Pro Bowl, likely would have been designated with the dreaded franchise tag again had the ‘Hawks been unable to lock him up. That number was in the $8.4 million range for one year.

Considering the team has been running its ship with no skipper at the wheel, interim negotiator/team executive Mike Reinfeldt has actually put Seattle in place to secure its top two off-season priorities in Jones and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

The team has already turned its attention toward getting something done with quarterback Hasselbeck. By getting a deal done with Jones — he is expected to officially sign later today — Seattle now has the luxury of franchising the quarterback. If they can lock up Hasselbeck too then they will have the tag to use on another free agent, such as Pro Bowl RB Shaun Alexander.

In related news, the Seahawks are set to re-interview Dolphins executive Brian Wiedmeier, Falcons personnel man Ron Hill and Cardinals Senior Director of Football Operations Jon Idzik for the president of football operations post.
              -02-16-2005, 10:31 AM
            • HUbison
              Hawks got our problem, too
              by HUbison
              Les Carpenter / Times staff columnist
              Camp-cutting Jones due for appearance

In the past, he used to push trucks through the Alabama sun. This was how Walter Jones spent the holdout summers, somewhere finding the perfect technique for stonewalling a pass rusher by putting his gigantic palms on the tailgate of a 4x4 and shoving with all his might.

No one around the Seahawks knows what their best player, the one with all the Pro Bowls, has been doing these last few months. Mainly because no one around the Seahawks has seen or talked to Walter Jones. But the season is starting soon, and one of these days they figure they'll see him walking in through the parking lot, bag in hand, ready to play.

Yesterday, coach Mike Holmgren was asked if he had heard from his starting left tackle. He laughed.

"No, I haven't," he said.

Then he smiled.

"Usually I hear from one of you guys," Holmgren said. "His agent will tell someone something."

But other than a brief, noncommittal conversation with this paper yesterday, Jones' agent, Roosevelt Barnes, has offered nothing.

Nobody even believes this is about money anymore. The last two summers, when Jones sat home, the warm days were filled with demands for millions, for a record-breaking signing bonus and a Seahawks refusal to shatter its salary cap for a single player, even if that player was vital to making its offense move. After Seattle gave Grant Wistrom $14 million in guaranteed money this winter, it would have seemed Jones was justified in asking for a pile of money the size of Mount Rainier.

Strangely, there has been no talk of money this summer. Jones just packed his bags as he does every January and disappeared. If the Seahawks and Barnes have discussed a contract in that time, they have kept those negotiations awfully quiet.

The presumption is that Jones has simply grown accustomed to missing training camp and likes the idea of life without two-a-days and sleeping on tiny beds in a college dorm. And since he has been able to stroll in sometime in early September the last two seasons and still manage to make the Pro Bowl, well, why not do it again?

This seems to be a growing trend around the league. Players like Jones, who have been designated their team's franchise player and therefore are not allowed to be free agents, have the luxury of holding their employers over a barrel. Oakland cornerback Charles Woodson missed all of the Raiders' training camp, as did St. Louis tackle Orlando Pace.

It's the best scam in football: miss camp and get paid.

In Jones' case, the payout will be a little more than $7 million for this season — a fine sum but paltry compared to the tens of millions he could make if he signed a long-term contract. But what's a few more million when you...
              -09-01-2004, 12:46 PM
            • HUbison
              Jones expected to re-sign with Seahawks
              by HUbison
              Story taken from FOXSports.com

The Seattle Seahawks do not have their front office in place yet but they have still managed to lock up the NFL's best tackle to a new massive contract.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL.
              Jones, who recently played in yet another Pro Bowl, likely would have been designated with the dreaded franchise tag again had the ‘Hawks been unable to lock him up. That number was in the $8.4 million range for one year.

Considering the team has been running its ship with no skipper at the wheel, interim negotiator/team executive Mike Reinfeldt has actually put Seattle in place to secure its top two off-season priorities in Jones and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

The team has already turned its attention toward getting something done with quarterback Hasselbeck. By getting a deal done with Jones — he is expected to officially sign later today — Seattle now has the luxury of franchising the quarterback. If they can lock up Hasselbeck too then they will have the tag to use on another free agent, such as Pro Bowl RB Shaun Alexander.

In related news, the Seahawks are set to re-interview Dolphins executive Brian Wiedmeier, Falcons personnel man Ron Hill and Cardinals Senior Director of Football Operations Jon Idzik for the president of football operations post.
              -02-16-2005, 09:00 AM
            • Rambos
              Seahawks agreed to terms with Julius Jones.
              by Rambos
              NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the Seahawks agreed to terms with Julius Jones.
              -03-07-2008, 06:58 PM
            • RamWraith
              Jones' Leg A Strength for Rams
              by RamWraith
              By Bill Coats
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
              09/21/2008

When Donnie Jones last visited Seattle, he drilled an 80-yard punt, the longest of his five-year NFL career, in the Rams' 33-6 loss. After the long flight home, he hustled to the hospital where his wife, Aubrie, was about to give birth to their first child.

"I spent the night there on a very uncomfortable pull-out bed," Jones said. Weston Jones was born at 4:16 the next afternoon.

In military time, that would be 1616. "We thought that was interesting," Jones said, explaining that the youngster was conceived at 1616 Passion Vine Circle, where they lived in Miami.

Happenstance has intervened before in Jones' life:

— He didn't get a chance to punt until his junior year of high school, and only after a senior abruptly quit the team.

— Another member of that squad at Catholic High in Baton Rouge, La., was Travis Minor, a current Rams teammate and fellow special-teams stalwart.

— Jones' beloved Louisiana State refused to offer him a scholarship until it learned that Ohio State and Oklahoma were after the hometown star.

— He left the Dolphins after a bitter spat with a member of former LSU coach Nick Saban's staff there and wound up with the Rams last year. "I said a prayer, I was so thankful," said Jones, who promptly cobbled together his best season as a pro.

Jones averaged 47.2 yards on 48 punts, toppling Danny Villanueva's 45-year-old Rams record (45.5). His 56.0 average on four punts Oct. 7 vs. Arizona is a single-game team mark, and his 80-yard bomb was the longest for the Rams since Bob Waterfield launched an 86-yarder in 1947.

The good news for the Rams — who at 0-2 really need some — is that Jones is doing even better as the team returns to Seattle to face the Seahawks on Sunday.

His 51.2-yard average — on a league-high 16 punts — is No. 1 in the NFL. The record for a season is 51.4, set by Washington's Sammy Baugh in 1940.

Jones also saved a touchdown in the opener at Philadelphia, dragging down DeSean Jackson after a 60-yard return. "I wasn't going to let him score," said Jones, who picked up a nasty bruise on his right (nonkicking) knee making the tackle.

Al Roberts, the Rams' special-teams coach, said Jones' breakout is no surprise. "Donnie has always had a big left leg, and he's maturing mentally," Roberts said.

That Jones uses his left leg is a puzzle that even he can't explain.

"I do everything righthanded — throw, eat, golf, everything," he said. But punting lefty "always felt natural," Jones added. "My dad always said, 'Son, you're righthanded; why are you trying to kick with your left foot?' He tried to get me to kick with my other foot, and I was like, 'I can't do it that way.'"...
              -09-21-2008, 06:31 AM
            Working...
            X