• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Carroll back in the NFL?

Does winning get old?
    Colleagues: Carroll will try NFL again
    By Scott Wolf
    Staff Writer

With a 17-game winning streak and victories in 28 of the past 29 games, it's difficult to see any problems in USC coach Pete Carroll's world.
    The No. 1-ranked Trojans are winning with a frequency not seen since the glory years of the 1960s and '70s as they charge toward a possible trip to the Orange Bowl and a national championship.

"Winning is so much fun," Carroll said. "It's awesome to figure out how to keep it going. I think it's possible to keep it going."

Can winning become too easy? Can a coach bred in the NFL, where parity is the norm, be content winning week after week against the Washington States and Oregon States of the college world?

"I think he's going to get bored," said a close associate, who asked to not be identified. "It's not enough of a challenge for him."

Another friend -- Washington Redskins secondary coach Dwayne Walker, who spent a year with Carroll at USC -- said he wouldn't be surprised if Carroll returned to "the league," as those who work in the NFL call it.

"I know he enjoys what he's doing," Walker said. "He's doing and (has) done everything he set out to do at USC. Knowing Pete like I do, he would be one of the top coaches in the NFL. I still think there's a little bit left in him that wants to prove critics wrong, and try to come back and do in the NFL what he did in college."

Carroll disputes the idea that success breeds contempt, and he's too cagey to admit winning is too easy. But he doesn't argue that winning in the NFL is more difficult than in college football.

"The competition is more even in the NFL," he said. "I think it's an extraordinary accomplishment what the Patriots did, winning 21 straight games. Sometimes the NFL is harder."

USC assistant coach Todd McNair, who spent the past three seasons with the Cleveland Browns, is more emphatic about the contrast.

"(College football) is nowhere near as complex as the NFL," McNair said. "In the NFL, if a protection works one week, it won't work the next week."

For the ultracompetitive Carroll, it might reason that coaching at "the highest level" is vitally important, but he said college teams still impress him when he's watching game film -- most recently Boise State, which he observed while scouting Oregon State, this week's opponent.

"Boise State runs more formations than anyone I've seen," he said. "There's a whole wide range of offenses to face in college. In the NFL, they're sophisticated in a whole different manner. Everyone runs the same offense, but you've got more variants. They tweak more in the NFL."

Carroll carefully chose his words, making sure not to offend any parties at either level. McNair, again, cleared up the disparity between pro and college.

"In the NFL, you play teams, and they learn you twice as fast," he said.

Those who speculate Carroll eventually will return to the NFL believe the opportunity to partake in that kind of competition will sway the Trojans coach.

"The general thought in coaching is the NFL is the ticket," said USC assistant coach Lane Kiffin, whose father, Monte, is the defensive coordinator for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Carroll's mentor.

Lane Kiffin said he had no idea if Carroll is bored, but said he hasn't grown weary of the Trojans' success.

"I'm not getting sick of winning," Kiffin said.

Kiffin thinks it would be impossible for Carroll to accomplish in the NFL what he's done at USC.

"Teams are equal in the NFL because it's built to be equal. College is not," Kiffin said. "If you lose in the NFL, you pick first in the draft. In college, if I win, I get the best players. The NFL is structured to get you back up.

"I've seen my dad work in the NFL for 20 years and win the Super Bowl and then go 7-9. Who was the last (college) national champ to go under .500 the next year?"

Carroll said the primary difference between the NFL and college football is that coaches spend less time with college players. In the NFL, players arrive in the morning and spend the day at a team's training complex. At USC, he's unlikely to see most players until they get out of classes and show up for team meetings at 2:15 p.m.

"It's six hours a day with the players in the NFL," he said. "There's four hours you don't have here."

The theory that Carroll could be getting bored at USC is bolstered by the fact he does not stay as late at the office as he did his first season. But McNair said the work pace is actually tougher at USC than with the Browns.

"The schedule here is go, go, go. There isn't any stopping," he said. "We've got more time to think in the NFL."

Carroll said he has put in more hours at USC than any other job he's held.

"I never worked so hard in my life," Carroll said. "With everything: the camps, recruiting ... just everything."

Kiffin said neither college football nor the NFL hold a monopoly on long hours. It depends on each coach, or who the coach works for.

"My dad goes in the office on Monday and comes home on Friday," he said. "He goes to bed at 2 a.m. and gets up when the cleaning lady comes in at 6 a.m. But my brother-in-law works at South Carolina, and he never leaves before midnight."

For now, Carroll said he is more than sufficiently challenged.

"Every game is an enormous adventure," he said. "This last game, it was the weather. There's always something that happens."

Re: Pete Carroll back in the NFL?

I hear Miami might be looking for a competitive coach. Possible next year?

Comment

Re: Pete Carroll back in the NFL?

Carroll would be out of his gord to return to the NFL. He is the BMOC for the best team in the country. USC would fall over themselves to pay him whatever he wants.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFan16
        Ferentz: Attitude and Effort (What the Rams done have)
        by RamsFan16
        http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.c...020506aae.html

A standing room only crowd huddled in the ballroom of the Sheraton in Downtown Iowa City Sunday morning to hear the keynote address for FanFest 2006 - a presentation by the head coach of the nationally ranked University of Iowa football program, Kirk Ferentz.

And, after the standing ovation and a few thank you's to the organizers of the three-day event, Ferentz did what he hopes his student-athletes would do when, as Hayden Fry used to say, the bullets are flying: Act on the directions from those in charge.

"Matt (Engelbert) counseled me a little bit during the week to consider going away from the I-Club speech to something else," Ferentz confided before delving deep into the philosophy of the Iowa football program in terms of coaching and how that dovetails into recruiting.

Make no mistake, however, he did mention how proud he was of the accomplishments of the 2005 Hawkeyes and how much he is going to miss the Hinkel's, Hodge's and Greenway's of this year's graduating class. But, FanFest is intended to be an inside look at one of the nation's most successful college football programs, and Ferentz shared some of the very basic nuts and bolts.

"First of all, we know that coaches coach positions. D-line coaches coach d-linemen. Quarterback coaches coach quarterbacks," Ferentz said. "However, more importantly, we believe coaches coach people."

Ferentz talked about how it's important that coaches understand that simple fact.

"To us, it's pretty basic. We want to do what we can to make certain our student-athletes, number one, graduate. Number two, conduct themselves appropriately socially. And, number three, play championship caliber football."

Kirk Ferentz

"To us, it's pretty basic. We want to do what we can to make certain our student-athletes, number one, graduate. Number two, conduct themselves appropriately socially. And, number three, play championship caliber football," said Ferentz.

The key to accomplishing that is to know your audience. Ferentz told the story about a television commercial where a coach delivered a brilliant, inspirational speech to a group of football players that appeared have an average age of eight.

"After the coach was done, one of the players raised his hand and asked "Coach, when do we get to go to McDonald's?' " Ferentz chuckled. "Well, there's a pretty good example of a coach needing to know his audience."

Ferentz said at Iowa the coaching staff realizes it's important to teach technique and fundamentals and, importantly, that teaching doesn't end at the start of the season or at the end of the season. It continues year-round.

-02-25-2006, 11:01 AM
      • DJRamFan
        Hawaii's Chang may become most prolific QB in college history
        by DJRamFan
        HONOLULU (AP) -- Hawaii coach June Jones knew special things were in store for his football program when a lanky, baby-faced teenager first stepped onto the Manoa practice field in 2000 and completed eight straight passes.

Since then, quarterback Timmy Chang has thrown for 12,814 yards and 79 touchdowns and is closing in on becoming the most prolific passer in college history.

The senior needs 2,218 yards to break the 13-year-old NCAA career passing mark of 15,031 set by Brigham Young's Ty Detmer, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1990.

Chang, who is 1,030-of-1,834, is also on pace to break the NCAA marks in career completions (1,231) and pass attempts (1,883), held by Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury. With 67 interceptions thrown, Chang is the verge of breaking Purdue quarterback Mark Herrmann's record of 73.

Barring injury or any mental lapses that led to his benching last year, Chang -- who averages 320.4 passing yards per game -- could surpass Detmer's record by midseason.

"I had envisioned this happening if he had stayed healthy," Jones said. "The first time I saw him in our training camp, I knew he would play as a freshman. And anybody that lines up and plays 12 games a year in this offense is going to have a shot at that record."

If he does break Detmer's record, Chang said it is a reflection of all his coaches and teammates -- past and present.

"Football is the biggest team game," he said. "You got 11 guys on the field that need to work together to accomplish one goal. It would be selfish to award myself, so I would never do that."

Hawaii is also touting Chang as a Heisman hopeful. He could have a big season, given that 10 offensive starters are returning from last year's 9-5 squad, which was second in the nation in passing.

He has already set or tied 36 school records and eight Western Athletic Conference marks. Not bad considering he didn't play the sport until junior high school.

"Football wasn't a part of my childhood experience other than on the streets," Chang said. "I love basketball more than football, even now. But football was a tool for me to get ahead."

The youngest of three children, Chang said he focused on football to lessen his parents' financial burden of paying for a college education. He expects to graduate next spring with a liberal arts degree.

Despite his lofty numbers, Chang has struggled with injuries and inconsistency.

Last year, he was booed by the home crowd and benched late in the season for ineffectiveness. However, he came off the bench and threw for 475 yards and five touchdowns in a 54-48 triple-overtime victory over Houston in the Hawaii Bowl.

Chang said his most difficult time was when he suffered a season-ending wrist injury just three games into...
        -08-30-2004, 09:15 AM
      • MauiRam
        Possible sleeper in the late rds??
        by MauiRam
        School of hard knocks
        Injuries, adversity have made Ducks' Colvin stronger
        Posted: Friday March 14, 2008 9:35AM; Updated: Friday March 14, 2008 3:00PM

Speedy receiver Cameron Colvin showed flashes of brilliance in his career at Oregon and hopes to impress NFL types at the Ducks' Pro Day next week.
        Icon SMI

By Stewart Mandel, SI.com

Like a lot of college seniors, Oregon's Cameron Colvin has a job interview next Thursday. In fact, he'll be auditioning for multiple employers on the same day. Like most of those peers, Colvin would really like to ace his interview. In fact, he's spent the past several months preparing for it. Unlike the typical college senior, however, Colvin has to ace this interview. It may be his one and only chance to enter the profession of his choosing.

If things had worked out as planned for the former Ducks receiver, there would not be so much riding on this singular performance at his school's 2008 Pro Day, where he will run, lift, catch passes and perform other assorted drills in front of the watchful eyes of NFL personnel men. Like a Chris Long or Darren McFadden the audition would barely affect his draft status.

Colvin, however, was not even among the 330-plus players invited to last month's NFL Scouting Combine. The Web site NFLDraftCountdown.com lists him 61st among receiver prospects. TFY Draft analyst (and SI.com contributor) Tony Pauline puts it bluntly: "He's not going to get drafted."

Oh, and did we mention Colvin is still recovering from a broken ankle suffered last October?

If any of this has dissuaded the cheery, soft-spoken 22-year-old Pittsburg, Calif., native from pursuing his NFL dreams, he hasn't shown it. If so, he would not have spent the past two months shuttling back and forth between Eugene, where he is in the midst of completing a degree in political science, and Florida, where he trains with a former Olympic gold-medalist.

"I'm one of the most motivated people on the planet," said Colvin. "A lot of people go through their whole lives not knowing what they want to do. I've always known I was born to be an NFL receiver."

When you've endured as many personal tragedies and setbacks as Colvin, the thought of disproving an entire league full of skeptics probably seems like a walk in the park.

Over the past decade, football fans have become increasingly obsessed with two rituals that take place away from the gridiron: National Signing Day and the NFL Draft. Colvin's once-certain rise to stardom dovetailed somewhere between the former and the latter.

Four years ago, the De La Salle (Calif.) receiver was such a hot commodity that his Signing-Day press conference was broadcast live on SportsCenter. With his godfather and mentor, Jay Lightner, by his side, Colvin...
        -03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
      • DJRamFan
        Spurrier excited about SEC revival with Gamecocks
        by DJRamFan
        Aug. 28, 2005
        By Dennis Dodd
        CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
        Tell Dennis your opinion!

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- You really can't believe he's 60. On a random offseason weekday, Steve Spurrier is bounding around his office like a kid in Toys R Us.

South Carolina fans hope Steve Spurrier can do for them what he did for Florida. (Getty Images)
        "Have you seen Cocky?" Spurrier says, flipping on the switch of a two-foot replica of the South Carolina mascot that begins dancing across a ledge.

"I was lucky on the hair genes," he remarks after a reference to his perfectly coifed hair helmet that looks like it has been preserved since he won the Heisman in 1966 -- as a dashing senior.

You simply can't believe he's 60. A doctor checked Spurrier's heart last year during his year off from football. It looked better than in 2003, his last year with the Washington Redskins. What was he doing different? Relaxing. Well, that and a new interest in the StairMaster.

"It gets you huffin' and puffin'," says the smiling man who used to eat quarterbacks for lunch, even when they followed instructions.

Lunch was served again in the spring. Spurrier, you see, reads everything. Not many people know that about him. Newspapers, TV, Internet. He likes to keep track of the condition of the program.

After a scrimmage, quarterbacks Blake Mitchell and Antonio Heffner were asked how they thought they did. "Pretty good," they were basically quoted as saying.

"You call that, 'pretty good?'" he shot back next time the three came together.

Spurrier sat down his quarterbacks and showed them a film of Florida's 54-17 victory at South Carolina in 2001. Rex Grossman threw for 302 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. The Gators scored the last 44 points of the game.

"It was a game we never punted," Spurrier said. "Now that's pretty good, not hitting one out of three. You guys have to understand what playing well means."

This is the Spur Dog in full. At an age when a lot of men are counting the days to retirement, Spurrier is counting the days toward the opener in his new job.

"Sometimes as a young coach in your 30s, you're trying to act like you're 45," Spurrier said. "When you get to be above 60 or so, you want to act like you're 45. Health-wise I feel like I can do more than I did at 45. Hopefully my mind is still as good as it was then.

"I think it is."

Consider that a warning shot. The college football world is on the edge of its cleats, waiting for The Tao of Steve to return to the game. That opener against Central Florida is now three days away. National television is moving...
        -08-29-2005, 06:07 PM
      • RamsFanSam
        A Message to those who think McCollum's too old:
        by RamsFanSam
        Linebacker, 59, to Play College Ball

Email this Story

Aug 22, 4:40 PM (ET)

By JAIME ARON

ALPINE, Texas (AP) - Mike Flynt was drinking beer and swapping stories with some old football buddies a few months ago when he brought up the biggest regret of his life: Getting kicked off the college team before his senior year.

So, one of his pals said, why not do something about it?

Most 59-year-olds would have laughed. Flynt's only concern was if he was eligible.

Finding out he was, Flynt returned to Sul Ross State this month, 37 years after he left and six years before he goes on Medicare. His comeback peaked Wednesday with the coach saying he's made the Division III team's roster. He could be in action as soon as Sept. 1.

Flynt is giving new meaning to being a college senior. After all, he's a grandfather and a card-carrying member of AARP. He's eight years older than his coach and has two kids older than any of his teammates.

"I think it was Carl Yastrzemski who used to say, 'How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?' I'd be in my late 20s or early 30s, because that's how I feel," said Flynt, who has made a living out of physical fitness. "That's been my approach to this whole thing. I feel that good. I'm just going to find out if I can perform and make a contribution to the team."

A longtime strength and conditioning coach at Nebraska, Oregon and Texas A&M, he's spent the last several years selling the Powerbase training system he invented. Clients include school systems and the military. His colorful life story includes being the son of a Battle of the Bulge survivor and having dabbled in gold mines and oil wells - successfully.

Flynt's life was supposed to be slowing down this fall. With his youngest child starting at the University of Tennessee, he and Eileen, his wife of 35 years, are planning to take advantage of being empty-nesters for the first time.

Instead, they've moved to this remote patch of West Texas so Flynt can mend an old wound and, he hopes, inspire others.

He became emotional discussing his goal of "helping a bunch of young men to make up for those guys that I let down." Then he laughed about the reality that fellow Baby Boomers are getting the most out of his comeback.

"People are kind of in awe. They keep comparing me to themselves and where they are physically," he said. "If I can help anyone out by what I'm doing, then it's all worth it."

Flynt's position is still being determined, but he used to play linebacker. Wherever he lines up, he'll likely become the oldest player in college football history. Neither the NCAA or NAIA keeps such a statistic, but research hasn't turned up anyone older than...
        -08-22-2007, 05:50 PM
      Working...
      X