Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramsey gets seven-game audition to run Gibbs' offense

Ramsey gets seven-game audition to run Gibbs' offense

ASHBURN, Va. - The fans' constant chants for Patrick Ramsey were a source of locker room humor among the Washington Redskins over the last few weeks, including one running gag involving Ramsey's wife.

``We've been teasing him,'' tackle Jon Jansen said. ``We kept telling him that Ginny was standing there with a sign: 'Put Patrick In.' ``

The truth is Ramsey was more embarrassed than encouraged by the fuss. When he was finally chosen the starting quarterback this week, he offered a tactful admonition to those who orchestrated the calls of ``Ram-sey!'' when they weren't booing Mark Brunell.

``I think we have great fans and they desire for us to be successful,'' Ramsey said. ``I think if they realized how much of a detriment it is to our team, I don't think they would do it, if they really understood the morale that it kind of set for our offense. I think Mark handled it admirably. I'm going to try to battle through everything, but subconsciously, I think it would affect me.''

So goes Washington's velvet quarterback revolution. The rest of the football world sees a coach making a long overdue move to try to revive an awful offense, while the principals involved see it as an awkward exchange of roles between nice-guy hunting buddies.

``If they didn't like each other, it would be easier for them,'' Jansen said. ``But when there's a professional relationship and a personal relationship, it's hard for both of them.''

Touchy-feely stories aside, coach Joe Gibbs' switch has serious implications. The Redskins are 3-6 with the toughest part of their schedule to come. It's time to start thinking about next year, and these last seven games are probably Ramsey's last chance to earn Gibbs' trust.

``I really feel like it's more of an audition to help lead this football team, more so than anything for my future,'' Ramsey said.

Ramsey has had a tough year. He was undermined by Gibbs' decision to trade for Brunell and had his agent ask for a trade. The request was rescinded when Gibbs promised Ramsey a fair shot at the starting job at training camp, but Ramsey failed to take advantage with poor performances in the exhibition games. He had no one to blame but himself.

``I didn't play well enough in the preseason to warrant a start _ or that much playing time early,'' Ramsey said. ``I was very disappointed with the way I played in the preseason. It was tough, but at the same time I knew I deserved not to be in the game.''

Ramsey's struggles stemmed in part from his 16 starts in two seasons under coach Steve Spurrier, who demanded from his quarterback a philosophy and mechanics unique in the NFL. The change to Gibbs' conservative style was as radical as could be, forcing Ramsey to throttle the urge to ``make every single throw 20 yards.''

``Applying it on the field was more difficult for me because there were some adjustments, things I was really focusing on, and I wasn't playing the game,'' Ramsey said. ``I was focusing on a lot of mental things and thinking at the line of scrimmage, whereas I don't think you can do that and play the game successfully.''

Ramsey has been erratic in two relief appearances this season, but both times he was trying to overcome huge deficits without the benefit of a week of practice with the first team. This Sunday at Philadelphia, he gets a shot with the score tied 0-0, albeit for a team that hasn't scored more than 18 points in a game all season.

``I wouldn't say it was on my shoulders,'' Ramsey said. ``I do look forward to trying to complete balls and moving the ball, but it's not going to be a 'Plug Patrick in' and the passing game's going to work.''

If Ramsey doesn't succeed, Gibbs will be backed into a corner in the offseason with the most important position on the team. It's hard to imagine Brunell, 34, returning, but truncating his huge contract would cause a major drain on the salary cap. If the Redskins cut Brunell and then have to spend big bucks for a new quarterback _ say, if San Diego's Drew Brees is available _ the money well will quickly run dry.

At least Ramsey won't be under the pressure of a quick hook. Gibbs showed remarkable patience with Brunell, and it would be a surprise if Ramsey is not allowed to finish the season.

``Hopefully there won't be reason for patience,'' Ramsey said. ``Hopefully I can go in there and play well.''

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
    Portis "running scared" against Rams?
    by MauiRam
    The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    Sep. 28, 2010

Two days after getting benched on first and second downs in favor of the unproven Ryan Torain in the second half of a surprising 30-16 loss at St. Louis, Clinton Portis didn't lash out at coach Mike Shanahan. Far from it.

In fact, the Redskins' No. 1 running back for the last seven seasons was positively at peace when asked during his weekly radio appearance if he expects to start in Sunday's NFC East mathcup at Philadelphia.

"I have no idea, and I don't think it matters," said Portis, who carried seven times for 44 early yards against the Rams but was given the ball just once during the final three quarters. "I'm going forward and preparing, and if my number's called, I'm going to go out on the field and do what I can to help the team. If not, I'm going to cheer on my teammates and congratulate whoever it is, and if we're winning, I'm going to smile like everyone else."

Not that Portis, who's nearing Hall of Famer John Riggins' franchise rushing record, thinks he's nearing the end at 29.

"I always think of myself as the No. 1 back and always prepare myself as the No. 1 back," said Portis, who fended off summer challenges from fellow former Pro Bowl backs Larry Johnson and Willie Parker, each of whom has been released. "When it comes to competition, I'm feel like I'm going to outplay anybody and on the opposing team. I think what I have done for my team the last nine years, you can tell the difference in the games when I'm in or out. What I do for my team, and the excitement level of what I give on the field is always better than the next guy."

A day after Shanahan said that Portis went down on a 27-yard run because his right hand was bothering him, the running back concurred that he was afraid of fumbling.

"I did fall on purpose," Portis admitted. "There are five Rams players behind me, and no Redskins. All week long, we were coached to sacrifice yardage for the ball. Them being some of the top strippers in the NFL, I really couldn't see around me and to continue to fight for a few extra yards and risk losing the ball when we were trying to get momentum; that's not thinking about the team."

Asked if the play showed that he was soft, as some have charged, Portis, known as one of the best blockers among running backs, didn't get angry.

"People are going to believe what they want to believe," he said. "If you ever see me back down from any man on the football field, then my time is up in this league. ... I'm going to look any man eye-to-eye and try to give it to him."
    -09-29-2010, 10:48 AM
  • MauiRam
    More on Rams' trades .. Peter King
    by MauiRam
    Peter King's Football in America

ATLANTA — It should be obvious now, as the Los Angeles Rams feel the slings and arrows from around the league for gorging on the present at the expense of the future, what the identity of this franchise is.

They completed three trades in an afternoon last week, for goodness sake, two involving Pro Bowl players. It’s not about the PSLs or filling the new stadium next year or knee-jerking a response to a three-game losing streak.

It’s about the personality of the people who lead the team.

And in a larger sense it’s about a sea change in how the new wave of GMs and team architects are approaching the sport.

Last Tuesday, when GM Les Snead had completed two deals from his California office—acquiring offensive lineman Austin Corbett from Cleveland and trading cornerback Marcus Peters to Baltimore—he was working on a third.

Snead and GM Dave Caldwell of Jacksonville were close to doing a mega-trade for dissatisfied cornerback Jalen Ramsey of the Jaguars.

In a Ritz Carlton ballroom in Fort Lauderdale, during the NFL’s fall meeting, Rams owner Stan Kroenke and Rams Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff awaited word on the deals.

Around 4:30 p.m. ET, Snead and football VP Tony Pastoors both pinged Demoff with details of the first two trades. Demoff showed Kroenke the news. Not a bad afternoon’s work for Snead and his staff.

Not enough.

Kroenke didn’t pump a fist; it’s not his way anyway. Instead, he asked Demoff about the unhappy Jaguar.

He wondered, Is the Ramsey deal still in play?

It was, and within an hour, that was done too—Ramsey for the Rams’ first-round pick in 2020 and first and fourth-round picks in 2021, even though L.A. is buying Ramsey for only the remaining 1.5 seasons of his rookie contract.

The Rams are optimistic about signing him long-term, but have no guarantee of employing Ramsey beyond the expiration of his contract in 14 months.

Three trades in five hours. Now it was Saturday, in the bar of the team’s Buckhead hotel, the day before Rams-Falcons, and Demoff and Snead dissected what the team had done, and what it meant.

“This is who we are,” Demoff said. “This is what we do. This is our belief as an organization. Stan isn’t fearful, Les isn’t fearful, and [coach] Sean [McVay] isn’t fearful. This league is so fast-moving.

It hasn’t been this way forever for us, but now, we’re going to value the great player over the potential of a draft choice.”

The Lead: Jalen Ramsey

For a guy who’d been on the team for four days, Ramsey didn’t seem like much of a newcomer in the 37-10 rout of the pathetic Falcons.

He didn’t give the full...
    -10-21-2019, 01:11 PM
  • MauiRam
    The NFL’s Analytics Revolution Has Arrived.
    by MauiRam
    Football is still well behind baseball and basketball when it comes to embracing advanced metrics, but teams have made significant progress in recent years. Those who do not adapt will be left behind.

By Kevin Clark Getty Images/Ringer illustration

TheThe football analytics revolution may not be obvious, but it is happening in front of you all the time. There is an NFL team that plans to run more offensive plays to the side of the field farthest from its opponent’s bench. It has figured out, using player-tracking data, that a defensive lineman will sometimes run more throughout the course of a game by shuffling from the bench to the field during a substitution than he will during actual gameplay. Thus, running plays to the far side of the field can help tire out rotating defensive linemen.

This strategy is unique but the logic behind it is not. Stories like this are common around the league: A team stumbles upon some shred of data and builds a play, a playbook, a personnel decision, or an entire scheme around it. It changes how a team drafts, calls plays, and evaluates opponents. All of these trends point to one thing: Football’s analytics moment has arrived.

We’ve reached this high point for a couple of reasons. The rise of smarter, younger GMs and coaches is part of it. A bigger part of it, though, is the spread of the NFL’s player-tracking data, which is being shared leaguewide for the first time this season. Having access to that data allows teams to build models to analyze plays and players differently, and to simply know more about the game. That’s been a boon to a movement that had already been embraced by a handful of the smartest teams. As other teams try to catch up, they’ve created an arms race to get the best numbers. Essentially, the smartest teams are getting significantly smarter, the average teams are trying to get better, and the dumbest teams are going to be very dumb if they don’t act soon.
    “It’s about translating that data ASAP and being very, very in tune with the numbers. You can’t be a year behind, you can’t be a month behind.” —Thomas Dimitroff, Atlanta Falcons general manager
    “It’s about translating that data ASAP and being very, very in tune with the numbers. You can’t be a year behind, you can’t be a month behind,” said Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff.

Teams are examining details they’ve never studied before to get an edge. One scouting department graded a defensive back prospect as an undrafted free agent due in part to his slow 40-yard dash. When that department was able to measure his game speed using tracking data, it determined that it should have listed him as a midround pick. Other teams in the market for linebackers have homed in on what kind of closing speed elite tacklers need. For instance, Zebra Technologies, a company whose MotionWorks service collects game-day data, found that the Cowboys’ Leighton...
    -06-02-2020, 12:26 PM
  • Watchdog
    Oh No! Think I upset the Redskin Extremists with this one.
    by Watchdog
    DOH!!
    Oh, well - It's good to get some healthy bantering going before a game. I think they're mad at me ... Awesome!

Posted Dec 20th 2006 8:33PM by The Watchdog
    Filed under: Rams, NFC West, NFL Gossip

Redskins Orgainzation Makes the Rams troubles Look Small

An in depth look at the Rams organization this year reveals really nothing more than a new coaching staff trying to implement a new system and re-create an identity for a football team in renovation mode. Sure there are frustrating things about the team's progress, as well as even more frustration regarding the lack of progress on defensive issues.

But when taking a look at what's happening in Washington with the Redskins, it makes you want to exhale hard in sheer relief that the Rams aren't that kind of mess.and even more assistants to the assistants. It's freaking mind boggling.

This Sunday when the Redskins roll into the Edward Jones Dome, it would be reasonable to expect a group of very frustrated and hungry football players.

The Redskins are the New York Yankees of the NFL in how they try to buy their way to success with high-priced coaches and players. But they're in a league of their own when it comes to mis-managing their team and mis-evaluating their talent.

Washington Post:

When you look at some of the decisions being made by the Washington Redskins, you are led to wonder whether Joe Gibbs can ever fix all this, and, with all due respect to the Hall of Fame coach, how much of the dysfunction is his fault.

Any routine examination of the Redskins now reveals a team that constantly (and unsuccessfully) tries to remake itself, that repeatedly misevaluates personnel, that throws away high draft picks, that has too many coaches (and possibly the wrong ones).

They can spend whatever energy they want at Redskins Park trying to shoot the messenger, but the fact is the Redskins are no better off than the Arizona Cardinals or the Cleveland Browns, the NFL's perennial bottom feeders. No amount of money spent on veteran players and high-profile coaches has helped the Redskins do any better than 4-8.

All of a sudden I feel a whole lot better about the situation in St. Louis. While the Rams record is no better, there seems to be far less head (or other) scratching going on and surely alot less Prozac going around.

Compared to the high-profile mess going on in our nation's capital - the Rams woes are small time.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments [4]
    Share This Post: Netscape | Yardbarker | Digg | Fark | Del.icio.us

Reader Comments
    (Page 1)
    1. I don't know whats worse in this blog... The picture of Spurrier, the miss on the actual record in DC (5-9 by the way)or... The selective memory that conveniently lost the fact that the Redskins lost in...
    -12-21-2006, 12:04 PM
  • RamWraith
    Wednesdays quotes
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

(Opening statement)

“Victor Adeyanju had quite a bit more work today. He’s getting closer. Like we said last week, we’ll make the decision by Friday, but it looks pretty encouraging that he’ll be up this week. Jerome Carter’s still kind of nursing that ankle around a little bit. Based on what I saw today I think it’s better. I don’t know how much closer he is to being in the lineup. I’m going to watch the practice and evaluate that, and then talk to the defensive staff and see what they think. Probably go another day before we really decide on that. Stephen Davis’ hand x-rays were negative, so he’s fine. Richie Incognito has a mild right toe sprain, but he didn’t miss any snaps today. Paul Smith is doubtful. He’s still experiencing some discomfort from the stinger he has. He has the bulging disc back there that really isn’t improving much, so it’s pretty unlikely he’ll be able to return, at least, this week. Adam Timmerman’s still questionable. He did do some limited contact stuff today in practice. Matt Turk’s fine with his neck, just a little stiff. Will Witherspoon’s got a bone bruise on his knee which is creating some discomfort. He’s been playing with it. He played through the game last week, but was limited in his reps today in practice. That’s pretty much it. Other than Will, everybody’s pretty much the same as Monday.”

(On having contact with G Claude Terrell)

“The contact’s been general. He asked for permission and it was granted for him to be able to go to Texas and try to work rehab. I think the next step, which we’ve concluded, we’ve got to probably pursue the surgery we were originally hoping we would be able to get done in the offseason, or early fall. We’ve asked Claude to be back by today actually, so hopefully we will see him sometime today or tomorrow and start pursuing the possibility of getting his wrist fixed.”

(On if Terrell had surgery)

“He was supposed to have it, and then…you can’t make a person have the surgery, and just opted not to. Which, now he’s in the same spot he was in when we originally wanted him to have it done, so hopefully we are going to push those buttons and get it done.”

(On the necessity of Terrell’s surgery)

“Mainly because there was no guarantee that letting it rest was going to correct the problem. I’m not sure there’s any guarantee when you have surgery, but we felt that it was the best thing to alleviate the pain in there and all those things. Like I said, you can only tell people the best professional advice you can give them, and when it comes to having surgery, you can’t make somebody do it. It does, however, complicate a person’s ability to continue to play the game or stay in this profession, so if he doesn’t get it done, it will be highly unlikely...
    -12-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Working...
X