• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Reasons Los Angeles Doesn't Deserve An NFL Team

5 Reasons Los Angeles Doesn’t Deserve an NFL Team

By Michael C. Jones | Yahoo! Contributor Network
    Sat, May 5, 2012

As a southern California native, this article is as painful to write as it will be for the three or so Los Angeles readers who will stumble upon it (more to come on the attention spans of southern California sports fans in a little while).

But it has to be said - Los Angeles doesn't deserve an NFL team, and there are a host of good reasons why. Though it is the second-largest media market in the United States and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been on record as saying that he and the league want a franchise to return to the Entertainment Capital of the World, Los Angeles has several reasons not to be a host city for the most popular professional sports league in the United States.

Note that as someone who grew up near Los Angeles, I would love for an NFL team to return to the city. I'm simply very jaded and cynical after having pro football ripped from under me during my formative years.

Here it goes:

Los Angeles is full of fair-weather fans. One of the most frustrating things about being a sports fanatic in southern California is the large number of fans who don't truly care about the home team. 'A'-listers don't make very good sports fans, and neither do people who have very little sports knowledge. Los Angeles is filled with both -- often times the two are mutually inclusive. Celebrities come to sporting events to be seen, not to cheer. Many fans care more about giveaways like the free tacos at Staples Center, than they do the outcome. The NFL would be no exception to this phenomenon in L.A.

There's too much other fun stuff to do. Hollywood, great weather, amazing mountains, and the Pacific Ocean all mean that Los Angelinos and southern Californians have a lot of non-sports related distractions surrounding them. Because of this, there is just no reason for fans to go all-in on a team that it feels like it has no loyalty to. There's too much to do to live and die with the fate of a professional football team.

Who wants another team with its own fans? The Minnesota Vikings have been rumored to make their way to L.A. if a stadium deal gets done. This franchise is nothing to get excited about for fans in California. How could the NFL expect new fans to get excited for a mediocre team with an established fan base in another region?

L.A. is a transplant city .The thing about Los Angeles is that not many of its residents are from Los Angeles. It's a city for tourists and dreamers who hope to make it big. There's nothing wrong with transplants, in fact, it's part of what makes the city so much fun. The people that are natives, however, likely have other loyalties when it comes to the NFL (more on that in a minute). The NFL is a league where fans of regional teams are often spread throughout the country. Los Angeles would be a difficult market for fans to support a new local team given its history with the NFL and the makeup of the population.

L.A. is still a Raiders town, and it lost the Rams, too. For those who are actually from Los Angeles, many of their loyalties lie with a team that broke their hearts when it moved to the Bay Area. The Oakland Raiders once occupied the L.A. Coliseum and were embraced by an entire generation of football fans. When they left, the fans stayed loyal and didn't jump ship. Don't expect those same folks to show any real commitment to a new team. Yes, the Raiders franchise originated in Oakland, but L.A. had embraced it as its own.

The team most know as the St. Louis Rams left southern California too. The former Los Angeles Rams have retained a few loyalists in the area and can claim the real rights to the city as its longest tenured team. But the Raiders or Rams moving back to L.A. at this point would be to its fans like a hot ex-girlfriend who broke your heart, gained fifty pounds, then tried to call you to "talk" after she was deservedly hurt by the guy she left you for in the first place (that's you, Oakland).

Re: 5 Reasons Los Angeles Doesn't Deserve An NFL Team

The former Los Angeles Rams have retained a few loyalists in the area and can claim the real rights to the city as its longest tenured team.
    And the elite of those loyalists can be heard from right here at ClanRam.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Re: 5 Reasons Los Angeles Doesn't Deserve An NFL Team

Very well written article. The league would love it from a marketing (Especially TV) perspective, but i dont see why anyone thinks it will be more viable this time around, unless of course the team is a big winner every year, which is highly unlikely in today's nfl. The new pro team in LA would have a long way to go before it was as popular as the usc trojans.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RAMMAN68
        ANA Angels
        by RAMMAN68
        That's Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles, California.

Any way, any Halo fans out there? I would like to get your take on the upcoming season.
        -02-08-2007, 10:30 AM
      • RAMFANRAIDERHATER
        More NFL, the Rams and Los Angeles
        by RAMFANRAIDERHATER
        This past Wednesday, I was tuned into one of my usual local sports radio shows (KFI 830) as I was driving home and they had John Semcken on as a guest. John Sencken is, for those that do not know, the Majestic Realty Co. partner managing the NFL stadium project with Ed Roski. Majestic Realty Co. is responsible for the Staples Center in which the Lakers, Kings and Clippers play in downtown LA. The proposed NFL stadium site is about 30 minutes east of LA in the City of Industry.

I don't have a written copy of the converstation, but some of the stuff I heard was very interesting, and encouraging. I wanted to share some of the things I heard with those that care about NFL football in LA.

First of all, Roski and Sencken are "100%" sure that this will happen. In fact, a bond passed recently almost unanimously, and more recently, environmental issues which were thought to be a major hurdle have been approved and cleared. Now, it's just getting an NFL team to commit to coming to LA. This is where it gets interesting.

When asked who he thought might be interested, John stated that, although he couldn't divulge all the details about any talks with teams, the teams that the media has thrown around recently are possible candidates, including: Rams, Raiders, Whiners, Chargers, Jaguars, Bills, Vikings and Saints. What really caught my ear was when a question was posed about what teams were really most likely to move, rather than just posturing and using the LA move for their own stadium deal. Semcken said that a team that is currently up for sale as being a "better candidate", but only two teams were currently "up for sale".

The Jaquars and the Rams.

I find it interesting that a guy with that profile would say that if it were not true.

When asked when this would happen, Semcken said that he believes that an NFL team will be here as early as the 2010 season, playing that season and the 2011 season in either the Rose Bowl or the LA Coliseum until Roski's stadium is completed in 2012.

According to Semcken, the NFL really wants an NFL team back in LA, and this proposal (unlike other proposals in the past) is solid and back financially and they are definitely interested and listening. They expressed the need to get more Superbowls back in Los Angeles, because the revenue in LA and Miami are still, by far, the most profitable.

This interview, along with other articles about Roski and teams like the Rams and Chargers, that are floating around here make me finally really believe that the NFL will be back in LA very soon.
        -01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Eric Dickerson Says Rams Belong In Los Angeles
        by r8rh8rmike
        Hall of Fame RB Eric Dickerson says Rams belong in Los Angeles

17h - NFL, St. Louis Rams
        Arash Markazi, ESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- Eric Dickerson spent the first five seasons of his Hall of Fame career with the Los Angeles Rams, and he's hoping his former team will return to its former home next year.

"I believe the Rams belong here [in Los Angeles]," Dickerson told ESPN. "That's like the Packers not being in Green Bay. You couldn't imagine that. I just feel like they need to be back in L.A. I go to St. Louis and support them, don't get me wrong. I don't care where they go, I'll still support them, but I would like them back in Los Angeles. I live in Los Angeles and a lot of players live here who played for the Los Angeles Rams."

Dickerson, who spoke before his second annual hall of fame golf invitational benefiting the Young Warriors Foundation, still roots for the St. Louis Rams. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and his No. 29 was retired after the Rams had left Southern California, but he has been hoping for a homecoming for the past two decades.

"Honestly, I'm hoping the Rams come back," Dickerson said. "I do go to St. Louis, they're still the Rams and the team I played for, but a lot of guys feel the same way. They'd like to have them back here in town. We need a team now, and I think the perfect fit would be the Los Angeles Rams."

Earlier this year, the Inglewood City Council approved plans to build a $2 billion football stadium that includes Rams owner Stan Kroenke as a partner.

"If the Rams come, they have a great owner in Stan Kroenke, and it's a different organization than when I played," Dickerson said. "I just think it would be great. I don't think you'll find one person who will say L.A. shouldn't have a team. If they do, they don't like football. I think we do need a team here.

"This is a major city. It's the second-largest city in the country and we don't have a football team, and at one point, we had two football teams in town with the L.A. Rams and the L.A. Raiders. I just think it's the perfect time. The NFL is bigger than it has ever been and it's only getting bigger, and to not have a team here is like not having a team in New York. I think we deserve a team. If you had asked me that question 20 years ago, I would have said no. I didn't think the fans were ready, I didn't think they would support the team, but football is so big and everybody loves it and everybody wants to go to football games."

Marcus Allen, who played for the Los Angeles Raiders for the first 11 seasons of his Hall of Fame career, agrees with Dickerson. He believes the Raiders should be the second team to move back to L.A. if they can't get a new stadium in Oakland.

"I think the Rams would be ideal because...
        -07-25-2015, 01:16 PM
      • RamsFan16
        NFL should bring Rams back to L.A.
        by RamsFan16
        NFL should bring Rams back to L.A.
        Story Tools: XML
        Print Email Blog This
        John Czarnecki / FOXSports.com
        Posted: 27 minutes ago

If you are a wealthy fan, or more particularly an owner, the new football stadiums that dot the NFL landscape remain one of outgoing Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's shining stars to his legacy.

It remains an amazing accomplishment, 17 totally new stadiums in the last 11 seasons with five more on the way. The building boom is all the more remarkable considering NFL teams have only eight legitimate home games a season, while costs generally exceed those for the more economically-feasible baseball parks.

L.A. fans might not be wild about having a team ran by Georgia Frontiere, but the Rams' owner rarely attends games anymore. (Doug Benc / Getty Images)

These thoughts bring me to California, the NFL's most-embarrassing location. There is no team in Los Angeles and stadium woes in San Diego, San Francisco and Oakland.

People speculate all the time that the Chargers, the best team in California, could end up in Orange County if San Diego, more than a billion dollars in debt, can't help them build a new stadium. Over the last three seasons, the ***** and the Raiders have an identical (and disturbing) 13-35 record with little personnel hope on the horizon. With so much else to do in California, who wants to pay $100 to see such a bunch of losers?

Tagliabue wants to put a team in Los Angeles, but many feel that after the league's $30 million charitable experiment ends in New Orleans, the Saints will be asked to relocate to sunny California.

We don't need a straw poll to tell the NFL that Los Angeles fans aren't clamoring for the Saints. Fans here love their doubleheaders on television or going to a sports bar to watch their favorite team. Funny, but California is full of fans from other parts of America.

You may laugh, but there are a couple solutions available for this mess, one that may actually help stadium construction in California and also upgrade the economic viability of franchises like the Raiders and Chargers. With a new stadium operational in Arizona, the Raiders will rank last in league revenue this season — despite the fact that they remain a top seller nationally of jerseys and T-shirts. We all know that much of the league likes keeping Davis in last place.

NFL OFF-SEASON LINKS
        NFL draft ...

Mock draft: Latest projection
        1.0 | 2.0 | 3.0 | 4.0 | 5.0 | 6.0
        Player Tracker ...
        NFC: East | North | South | West
        AFC: East | North | South | West

Top free agents ...
        Overall | Offense | Defense

Draft diaries ...

Darnell Bing
        Maurice Drew

NFL DRAFT VIDEO CENTRAL
        Click...
        -04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
      • larams1980
        New Stadium news
        by larams1980
        LOS ANGELES -- Ed Roski wants your NFL team.

The billionaire real estate developer from Southern California is closely tracking the stadium and hometown dysfunction that plagues the three California franchises in San Francisco, Oakland and San Diego. He knows where fans are weary, where facilities are second-rate.

He's got bull's-eyes centered on Buffalo, Jacksonville, Minnesota and St. Louis, too.

Give Roski your poor, your tired, your NFL huddles and masses longing for a state-of-the-art outdoor facility. Bring them to the City of Industry in the San Gabriel Valley, where he is convinced the fruitful Los Angeles market will welcome you.

Yes, that L.A. market. The same sprawling, Kobe Bryant-obsessed region that seems to have forgotten the ghosts of the Los Angeles Raiders and Rams and has embraced USC and UCLA football on Saturdays, and its choice of 32 teams on television come Sunday.

"There are NFL franchises out there that want a world-class facility, that want this huge market, and I'm ready to give that to them,'' says Roski (above), chairman and CEO of Majestic Realty Co., a key developer of the privately financed Staples Center and a co-owner of the L.A. Lakers and Kings.

Roski's an unassuming guy. "I did the Staples Center,'' he says casually. Well, he and fellow billionaire Phillip Anschutz did the Staples Center. On their dime. So Roski knows about getting stadiums and arenas built in the Golden State despite the notorious, choking loops of California development red tape that have stalled NFL stadium efforts across the state.

Yeah, you've heard this before. Dead Los Angeles NFL stadium projects -- buried everywhere from Irwindale to Irvine to Carson to Hollywood Park -- are as ubiquitous to Southern California as a Sig alert on the Santa Monica freeway.

So when Roski, 70, shows off that spectacular architectural model of his proposed $800 million, 75,000-seat NFL stadium as part of a shopping and entertainment complex he'll plant near the 57 and 60 Freeways in Industry, east of downtown Los Angeles, he's not kidding.

"Full-steam ahead,'' Roski says. All he needs are at least one -- ideally, two -- hungry NFL franchises to commit to relocating to his planned NFL palace and he'll turn the shovel on this thing.

"They'll play in the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl for two years while we're under contruction,'' Roski envisions, "and we plan to open by 2013." And play host to a Super Bowl in Los Angeles in 2016.

So how does Roski figure pull this off? Well, he's wealthy -- worth an estimated $2.5 billion and ranked No. 163 on The Forbes 400 list of richest Americans in 2008. He's got the financial chops to say the heck with buying up land, waiting out costly environmental impact reports or haggling with local cities for bond money.

The City of Industry isn't just...
        -07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
      Working...
      X