• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick
    started a topic Lovie Smith expected to sit out 2013 season

Lovie Smith expected to sit out 2013 season

Lovie Smith expected to sit out 2013 season
    By Sean Jensen on January 16, 2013 1:01 PM

Former Bears coach Lovie Smith interviewed for three NFL head-coaching vacancies but the respective clubs picked other candidates.

And while two openings remain, Smith isn't believed to be a candidate for either.

So Smith is expected to sit out the 2013 NFL season and reconsider his options next offseason, according to a league source.

But Smith will still collect a handsome paycheck.

The Bears owe him what is believed to be at least $5 million for the 2013 season, and they'll have to pay him the entire salary.

While some have speculated that Smith would be a strong defensive coordinator candidate, Smith will not go that route, opting instead to take the first break of his coaching career, since he started at his alma mater, Big Sandy High School, in 1980.

After the Bears fired him following a 10-6 season, Smith immediately became a candidate for several NFL openings. He interviewed with the Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers and Philadelphia Eagles. But the Bills hired Doug Marrone, the Chargers hired Mike McCoy and the Eagles hired Chip Kelly.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Geno Smith won't return for Day 2 of 2013 NFL Draft
    by Nick
    Not sure how I feel about this. The writer may have a point about this being a leadership and character opportunity, but I also can't blame Geno for not wanting every camera on him for his reaction as he waits to be selected for a second night in a row....
    -04-26-2013, 06:10 AM
  • Nick
    UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft
    by Nick
    UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft
    Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 9:30 pm | Updated: 10:00 pm, Fri Dec 27, 2013.
    By Robert Gagliardi
    [email protected] | 0 comments

University of Wyoming junior quarterback Brett Smith has decided he will declare for the upcoming NFL Draft and forego his senior season.

He informed University of Wyoming athletics director Tom Burman of his decision late Friday afternoon.

"In all honesty I thought about it for a long time and I just want to pursue the NFL dream," said Smith in a phone interview from his home in Salem, Ore., Friday night.

"It's been my dream since I was a little kid to be an NFL quarterback. I have an opportunity now and I want to go try and take it."

Smith said he filed paperwork with the NFL and its scouting department as many college players do after their junior seasons. Smith did not elaborate on what feedback he received or where he may be projected in the 2014 NFL Draft May 8-10.

"Based off the evaluation that didn't have anything to do with it, or not a lot to do with it," Smith said. "At the end of the day I wanted to go and try and take on my biggest dream."

Smith said he has not hired an agent, but plans to do so. He also plans to look for a place to train for the draft.

Smith threw for 3,375 yards and 29 touchdowns in 2013 and completed 62.7 percent of his passes. He also ran for 573 yards and four touchdowns.

Smith is UW's all-time leader in total offense with 10,365 yards. He also is the school-record holder for touchdowns responsible for (97) and touchdown passes (76). His 8,834 passing yards in second in school history.

He set the single-game UW record for total offense with 640 yards against Hawaii on Nov. 23.

Smith said his decision had nothing to do with the firing of coach Dave Christensen after the season-finale at Utah State and the hiring of new coach Craig Bohl.

Smith said he met with Bohl and new offensive coordinator Brent Vigen recently at his home in Oregon, and also met with Bohl a couple of time before that.

"(Bohl) is such a great guy and I'm disappointed I never got to play for him," Smith said.

Bohl and Vigen traveled to Oregon and Washington the weekend of Dec. 21 and 22 to visit both Smith and redshirt sophomore quarterback Jason Thompson and talked with them about the future the program.

Thompson was listed as UW's backup this past season, but redshirted and will have three years of eligibility at UW.

“We wish Brett (Smith) and his family the best as he chases his dream to play at the NFL level,” said Burman in a news release from the school. “Brett has been a great ambassador for our athletics department, our university and the state of Wyoming. We will miss him, and I know...
    -12-28-2013, 05:35 AM
  • RamWraith
    Smith NFL Coach of the Year
    by RamWraith
    Lovie Smith was just named AP NFL Coach of the year beating out Tony Dungy of the Colts.
    -01-07-2006, 09:20 AM
  • bigduke18
    Lovie Smith
    by bigduke18
    Am I the only one to be pissed about the success that the Bears are enjoying, thanks to the Rams losing Lovie Smith from the coaching staff?
    -12-16-2005, 06:49 AM
  • Bruce=GOAT
    Lovie Smith's son a Missouri Tiger
    by Bruce=GOAT
    From InsideMizoo's scout.com board:

"If there’s one thing everyone knows about recent Missouri football commit Miles Smith, it’s that he’s the son of Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith. But that’s all we knew, so we made a few calls and got the scoop on Smith, who recently decided to accept an offer to become a preferred walk-on at Mizzou."

To read the rest of the story, you must be a subscriber
    -02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Working...
X