[Panthers] Gleason apologizes for punching Panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Panthers] Gleason apologizes for punching Panther

New Orleans Saints special teams captain Steve Gleason expects to be fined by the league after being ejected from Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers for throwing a punch.
    Gleason was tossed with 1:26 left in the first half after punching Panthers defensive end Kemp Rasmussen in his groin at the end of a kickoff return.

"There was really no justification for what I did," an embarrassed Gleason said Monday. "That's not my character, not the way I play the game. I'm humiliated."

Gleason was on his knees after the play and Rasmussen was standing in front of him. There was a slight pause and then Gleason threw the punch.

Gleason said he had never drawn a personal foul before, let alone been ejected.

"I should apologize to everyone," Gleason said. "My opponent, my team and my coach. I'm just sick about it."

NFL director of football operations Gene Washington is expected to review the incident.

(The Associated Press)

MORE SACKS ALLOWED: After allowing just 12 sacks in their first 10 games, the Panthers have surrendered eight in the last two games. With 20 for the season, they're currently tied for sixth in the league in sacks allowed.

That's likely to change, since they were tied with Seattle and one behind fifth-place Dallas (19) entering Monday night's game with Seattle.

The league average is 27.9 sacks allowed.

The franchise mark for fewest sacks allowed was 26, set last year. The current line is on pace to allow 26.7, meaning they still have a legitimate shot at the dubious record.

MORGAN MENDING: Coach John Fox seemed optimistic about the possible return of linebacker Dan Morgan.

Morgan was inactive Sunday for the third straight week because of a concussion. He practiced some last week but was replaced in the starting lineup by Vinny Ciurciu.

The (Rock Hill, S.C.) Herald

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Zero: Panthers shut out Rams in Carolina
    by RamWraith
    By Mike Cranston
    AP SPORTS WRITER
    11/19/2006

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Who knew that weekly steak dinners would be the cure to Carolina's defensive struggles?

The Panthers sacked Marc Bulger seven times and shut out St. Louis 15-0 on Sunday, the fifth straight loss for the Rams. Jake Delhomme threw a 62-yard touchdown pass to Steve Smith, and the Panthers' dominating defense made it stand up.

The Panthers came into the season feeling they had the best defense in the league. But Carolina struggled with injuries and chemistry. The problems magnified when Dallas scored 25 fourth-quarter points in a game three weeks ago.

Safety Mike Minter called a players-only meeting a few days later, suggesting all defensive players meet for dinner each Thursday night.
    Advertisement

Since then the Panthers have allowed 10 points in two games. The Rams, devastated by the loss of Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Pace in last week's game, were shut out for the first time since 1998.

Mike Rucker had two sacks, including one for a safety with 2:24 left, while former Ram Damione Lewis and Chris Draft each had 1.5 sacks for Carolina, which tied a team record for sacks in a game.

"I don't know if (the dinners) are the magic formula, but they are a piece of the puzzle," Rucker said. "It's harder for me to shut down on you if I know you personally. I think it makes me play harder if I know you personally."

Rookie DeAngelo Williams took over for injured running back DeShaun Foster and rushed for 114 yards on 20 carries as the Panthers (6-4) won their second straight game and moved into a first-place tie with New Orleans in the NFC South.

The Panthers, coming in ranked 28th in the league in rushing, had a team-record 244 yards on the ground against the Rams, who have allowed seven different running back to rush for over 100 yards.

"Any back in the country that was in the backfield could have been in the backfield for us today would have rushed for 100 yards," Williams said. "They were just doing that good of a job up front."

Bulger was 19-of-34 for 142 yards and two interceptions, while the Rams (4-6) dropped five passes -- three by Isaac Bruce, who left in the fourth quarter with blurry vision.

On 12 possessions, the Rams had nine punts, an interception, a fumble and a safety as they finished with 111 yards. All from a team that was averaging more than 22 points a game.

"For us to come in and put up a dismal performance like that is very humbling," said running back Steven Jackson, who was held to 27 yards on seven carries.

The Rams, forced to shuffle their offensive line after losing Pace, had no answer to the Panthers' pass rush. Carolina, sending six or seven defenders on nearly every play,...
    -11-19-2006, 05:31 PM
  • MauiRam
    Double Coverage: Rams at Panthers
    by MauiRam
    By David Newton and Nick Wagoner

Quarterbacks Sam Bradford and Cam Newton led their teams to victory last week.
    The Carolina Panthers and St. Louis Rams put on an offensive showcase in a 2003 NFC divisional playoff game at the Edwards Jones Dome. The Rams overcame an 11-point deficit in the final 2:39 of regulation and the Panthers ended the 29-23 double-overtime thriller with a 69-yard touchdown catch by Steve Smith.

They were two teams loaded with offensive weapons, from St. Louis' Marshall Faulk and Isaac Bruce to Carolina's Smith and Stephen Davis. They had identities.

Fast-forward 10 years to Sunday's game at Bank of America Stadium, where both the Panthers (2-3) and Rams (3-3) are searching for an identity. ESPN.com Panthers team reporter David Newton and Rams team reporter Nick Wagoner are here to break down the 2013 version of this matchup:

David Newton: Nick, it seems both teams have been waiting for their quarterbacks to become consistent winners since they were drafted No. 1, St. Louis' Sam Bradford in 2010 and Carolina's Cam Newton in 2011. Why has it taken so long for Bradford to get there, if he is?

Nick Wagoner: Well, I don't think he is there yet. This is the first year Bradford has had any sort of continuity in terms of scheme, and in the past he's dealt with a mediocre receiver corps and offensive lines that aren't much better. He's not devoid of blame, though. Bradford has had issues in the past with going through progressions and locking onto receivers, among other fundamental problems. He's been up and down this year, but has done a really good job of protecting the ball. Now that the Rams seem to have some semblance of a competent running game, he's been better in the past couple of weeks.

Ultimately, the jury is still out on whether he's the long-term answer, but if he can continue to take care of the ball and toss touchdown passes in leading the Rams to more wins, that picture suddenly gains clarity.

I'm going to ask you to try to analyze Newton. From afar, it seems he struggles with consistency. Is that the case and how do you think he's adjusted to life after Rob Chudzinski?

Newton: Cam Newton's consistency remains a question. Yes, his career-high 143.4 passer rating against Minnesota in Game 5 was impressive, but do you know the last time he topped 100.0 in consecutive weeks during the first six games? Never. Sunday was only the second time this season he completed more than 60 percent of his passes and only the eighth in the past 21 games. His passer rating looks like a yo-yo -- 97.3 to 79.8 to 104.4 to 47.8 to 143.4.

As for life without Chudzinski, it has been a learning process. New offensive coordinator Mike Shula is attempting to go with a more traditional ground game out of the I-formation, but each week he's figuring out better ways to utilize his quarterback's natural abilities....
    -10-18-2013, 11:14 AM
  • DJRamFan
    [Panthers] Talk of playoffs hasty for 5-7 team
    by DJRamFan
    STAN OLSON

Staff Writer

With talk growing about the Carolina Panthers' revived playoff chances, quarterback Jake Delhomme offered a little perspective.

"We're still just 5-7; we've got a long way to go," he said Wednesday. "I've said, 'Maybe the week of (Jan. 1); if we can still be winning and there's a possibility, we'll talk about it.' "

Then someone asked if Sunday's home meeting with St. Louis would be Carolina's biggest game of the season.

"I want to say yeah, but when we played San Diego, that was a big game, because we needed the next win," Delhomme said. "... If you win in December, you give yourself a chance."

'A cheap shot'

Kemp Rasmussen was in the kickoff return wedge Sunday when he collided with the Saints' Steve Gleason.

"I knocked him down and I was standing over him," Rasmussen said. "I guess he was just frustrated. I didn't say anything to him. As he got up he just hit me down low."

The punch to the groin got Gleason ejected.

"I thought it was a cheap shot," Rasmussen said. "I would never do that."

Gleason was fined $5,000 by the NFL. He said he felt the Panthers continued to block him after the play.

Holt's support

St. Louis wide receiver Torry Holt is a good buddy of Seattle wideout Koren Robinson. Both were stars at N.C. State. Holt said he's been in touch with Robinson, who was suspended for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

"I just told him to hang in there and keep his head up," Holt said. "I told him if there was anything I could do to help him, if he wanted to bounce anything off of me, I'm here to help and support him as much as I possibly can."

Toys for Tots

The Panthers will host the 8th Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots drive Sunday. Reserves will collect new, unwrapped toys for at-need children in the region at 20 points at entry gates from 2 p.m. through the first quarter.

Notes

Linebacker Dan Morgan, who has missed three games recovering from his second concussion of the season, practiced. He is listed as questionable on the injury report.

Three others listed as questionable didn't practice, defensive tackle Brentson Buckner (knee), offensive tackle Todd Fordham (ankle) and punter Todd Sauerbrun (quadriceps).

Kicker John Kasay has been named the NFC's special teams player of the week after his six field goals Sunday.
    -12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
  • ZigZagRam
    Panthers linebacker coach Sam Mills dead at 45
    by ZigZagRam
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Sam Mills, an undersized linebacker who became a Pro Bowl player with New Orleans and Carolina and was later an assistant coach for the Panthers, died Monday after fighting cancer for nearly two years, the Panthers said. He was 45.

Mills, who was diagnosed with cancer of the small intestine in August 2003 but continued to coach Carolina's linebackers between chemotherapy treatments, died at his home.

"Sam was one of the finest people you will ever meet. You would never know that he was a player who made Pro Bowls and had all this attention because he treated everybody the same no matter who they were," Carolina general manager Marty Hurney said. "He never had a bad thing to say about anybody and had a great ability to laugh at himself.

"He was the type of guy you want your kids to grow up to be."

A five-time Pro Bowl selection, the 5-foot-9, 225-pound Mills spent the final three seasons of his 12-year NFL career with the Panthers, beginning with their inaugural season in 1995.

There is a statue of him outside Bank of America Stadium and he is the only player in the team's Hall of Honor. Mike McCormack, Carolina's first team president, is the only other inductee in the Hall.

"Words are inadequate to express what Sam meant to the Panthers organization," Carolina owner Jerry Richardson said. "We were privileged to have him as a member of our family, and we are devastated over this loss."

Mills spent his first nine NFL seasons with the New Orleans Saints, following three seasons in the United States Football League. He finished his career with 1,319 tackles while starting 173 of 181 games.

He joined the Panthers' coaching staff upon his retirement.

"He's definitely the best coach I ever had," Panthers linebacker Will Witherspoon said. "I got to talk to him the last couple of weeks and I knew that he wasn't doing well, but he never wanted to bring that up.

"He always wanted to focus on how I was doing. There's nothing better than the fact that he concentrated more on other people than he did himself."

Mills was an undersized linebacker out of Montclair (N.J.) State who tried - and failed several times - to catch on with NFL and Canadian Football League teams. He gave professional football one last shot when the USFL debuted in 1983.

Every day, Stars coach Jim Mora asked his assistants who the best player on the field was. Every day, they told him "Sam Mills."

"I don't need a 5-9 linebacker," Mora kept saying.

Mills ended up as one of Mora's favorite players and when Mora went to the Saints after the USFL's demise, he brought Mills with him in 1986.

Mills went to his first four Pro Bowls with the Saints and was elected to Louisiana's...
    -04-18-2005, 02:30 PM
  • Nick
    Peppers tells Panthers he wants out of Carolina
    by Nick
    Panthers could franchise Peppers
    ESPN.com news services
    Friday, January 16, 2009

Defensive end Julius Peppers let the Carolina Panthers know he is looking for a change of scenery.

"The front office has been informed of my desire to explore opportunities with other NFL teams following the expiration of my contract next month," Peppers said in a statement released by his agent Carl Carey. "At this point in my NFL career, I am seeking new challenges that will allow me to grow, develop and reach my personal potential on the football field.

"I strongly feel that making a move at this time is in my best interest. I appreciate the entire Panthers organization and am thankful for the seven seasons I've spent with the team."

The Panthers have the option to franchise Peppers, which would mean paying him nearly $17 million next season.

"Julius is firm in his decision that he needs a change," Carey said. "He feels that he can thrive in another system. While he has been selected to four Pro Bowls and designated as an All-Pro during his career, he feels that he has yet to develop to his full potential. This is the case of a great player who seeks to become an elite one."
    -01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Working...
X