• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmes says he'll be back next year

Holmes says he'll be back next year
    Injured Chief ‘definitely, 100 percent' plans on playing
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

A day after his season officially ended, Priest Holmes tried to erase doubts about his willingness to play the next one.

Holmes said Friday that he “definitely, 100 percent” intended to play in 2005.

“In terms of next year, I'm excited because of the fact it gives me an opportunity to heal up and start preparing for the '05 season,” he said a day after the Chiefs placed him on their injured-reserve list. “There are a lot of things we need to do. We left a number of things on the table this year.

“The '05 season is going to be exciting because we know there's a valuable lesson we learned this year. When you start having guys go down, it makes it very difficult to win ballgames.”

Holmes strained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee in a Nov. 7 game at Tampa Bay. At the time, he was the NFL leader in both rushing yardage (892) and touchdowns (15).

Holmes left the Tampa Bay game in the third quarter after the injury but spoke afterward as if he might play the next week in New Orleans.

He never made it back as far as the practice field. Holmes indicated he could have played with a brace, but that was something neither the Chiefs nor Holmes was interested in because of the risk of further injury.

Only in recent days, as the knee failed to respond, did Holmes and the Chiefs realize the wait for improvement would be fruitless.

Holmes, who said he won't need surgery, indicated the decision to shut down for the season was not his alone.

“It was more collective between the Chiefs and myself and the doctors knowing we didn't have enough time left in this season for me to get healthy enough to be able to play,” he said. “It just takes a lot longer for the MCL to heal up. For the most part, I've always been able to determine how long I would be out. This was just a situation where it took a lot longer.

“Each week we were going with the hopes of being able to come back this season. Right now, we do know it's going to take a little longer in order for me to heal up — and that time is going to be after (Jan. 2).”

Quarterback Trent Green said: “He never gave any indication that he wasn't going to come back this year. He was a little worried with the progress he was making. He was hoping to go at a faster rate.”

Holmes is 31, an age when many running backs start to show the long-term effects of playing a brutally demanding position. Few backs have received as much work as Holmes did in the 3½ seasons before the injury.

Holmes also briefly considered retirement before this season. He was serious enough to mention it to Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil and later discuss it publicly.

“I think it would have been unfair for me to go into the season with intentions early on about retirement this past year and not let everyone know,” Holmes said. “It wasn't something that needed to be kept behind closed doors. Whether or not that makes me look as if I'm not ready to play or wanting to play, that's never been the case.”

Holmes also believed he was a target for opponents deliberately taking shots to try to get him out of the game.

“I'm not going to say that's unfair,” Holmes said. “Everything that happens inside the white lines is fair. The same way I believe people have definitely attempted to remove me from the game. … I would encourage our own defense to make sure we could remove anybody else.”

But he said none of that would discourage him from playing next season.

“This particular season that we're getting ready to approach, I'm definitely, 100 percent preparing to play,” he said.

As for the immediate future, until the Chiefs' Jan. 2 season-finale in San Diego, Holmes will rehabilitate the knee, mostly in Kansas City.

“When you're hurt, it's hard,” Green said. “As much as you can be in the locker room, you still don't feel like you're in it. You're not in the huddle, you're not in the meetings, you're not in the games, you're not on the flights going to and coming from games. There's a lot that you miss, and that separation is tough.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• txramsfan
    U.S. tries to close in on World Cup Berth
    by txramsfan
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. - Claudio Reyna is rested, and ready to help lead the United States closer to a World Cup berth.

He skipped a pair of World Cup qualifiers in early June, drawing some criticism from Bruce Arena. But the U.S. coach now praises the decision by his captain, who wanted to heal from leg injuries and get ready for what he hopes will be 12 straight healthy months that will take him through next year's World Cup.

"I just needed a rest. I wanted to get my body right," he said Tuesday, a day ahead of the Americans' World Cup qualifier against Trinidad and Tobago.

The 32-year-old midfielder missed much of last season with Manchester City because of leg injuries and has played just once with the national team since September, the 2-1 loss at Mexico in a World Cup qualifier in March.

He missed the game against Guatemala three days later because of a sprained ankle, then wanted a seven-week rest after the English Premier League season ended. Reyna spent the time with his family in the Hamptons and the Caribbean.

"Being injured for so long is a lot worse mentally than when you're playing and having to deal with just trying to play well," he said. "I was looking at the big picture, the long term. I didn't want to just play through injuries and not really be fit. I think it benefits me and the team if I'm fully fit and mentally rested. I felt I needed it. It was hard because I've never taken a break from the national team since I was 20."

The U.S. captain most of the time he's been on the field since 1999, he also was captain of Manchester City for the first time last Saturday, filling in while regular captain Sylvain Distin is sidelined for the opening month.

"He's been our most consistent player that's played in Europe and has played at the highest level for a long time," Landon Donovan said. "He doesn't yell at people. He doesn't say much, but he's just calming. Our team constantly wants to go, go, go, and he's the guy that knows when to settle it down. But he also knows when to go. You always want him on the ball. He's going to make things happen. It's invaluable."

Arena says Reyna looks fit and thinks the rest was beneficial.

"The young player look up to him," the coach said. "The older players obviously are friends with him and he brings confidence to the group."

The United States (4-1) is second in the final round of the North and Central American and Caribbean region with 12 points, one behind Mexico (4-0-1), and can move to the verge of qualifying for its fifth straight World Cup.

Costa Rica (2-2-1), which plays at Mexico, is third with...
    -08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
  • RamWraith
    The Quote Sheet - Wednesday
    by RamWraith
    Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Head Coach Scott Linehan
    11/01/06

(Opening statement and injury report) “Our injury report doesn’t look too bad. Pisa (Tinoisamoa) is still going to be questionable this week, but it looks like he has a better chance. Last week we thought he did too, but with the swelling he wasn’t able to play with that hand. He was able to get in a certain amount of plays today, but didn’t have any contact. The swelling is down, we’ve got some things we’re doing as far as the brace that’s put around it, and there’s even a possibility of not having him in a cast, but he doesn’t seem to have the pain he had last week. Other than that, everybody’s pretty good to go and nobody was limited in practice to day.”

(On the possibility of LB Pisa Tinoisamoa’s injury requiring surgery) “At this point there is not going to be surgery. I think the only benefit of the surgery is that it stabilizes that had a little more. I don’t know if it heels it faster, it just keeps it stable. The semi-cast you put on there is a form-fitted protection guard that keeps his fingers stable. He was working with that yesterday. It looks a little funny, but he felt much more comfortable with that.”

(On CB Travis Fisher’s productivity this season) “It’s like any other player. Because you’ve asked about him, it’s hard to single out players individually at this point. We are deep enough into the season where we’ve had some good days and not so good days. One of the things I think in recent weeks that probably hampered him in playing as consistent as he played earlier in the year was that he wasn’t healthy and did try to play through that groin injury he had. Actually, before he came out against Green Bay, he had played pretty well up until that point. Anytime you don’t win a football game or you get beat on a long pass, that’s the last thing that sticks in your mind. Even last week I think other than them completing a corner route on him in the two minute drill before half, he was actually pretty solid in that game. He hasn’t done anything to disappoint us at all this season.”

(On Michigan State Head Coach John L. Smith being fired) “I’m really sorry to hear about that. I heard about that this morning as well. I know that these things happen in this business, and we all know that it certainly can happen and has happened to a number of coaches that have been in this business for a long time. He’s a great coach, a great person, and he was a great mentor to me. He hired me three times when I really needed a boost to get started in coaching and get out of a bad situation when I had left and went to Las Vegas. When the head coach was not retained at Washington I was looking for a job, and back in 1999 he hired me again. He’s always been there for me. I feel bad about it and I have a couple of friends on that staff as well. There is a little uncertainty there, but he will...
    -11-02-2006, 05:03 AM
  • RamWraith
    Rams on short rest, Chiefs minus Green for Governor's Cup
    by RamWraith
    By R.B. FALLSTROM
    Updated: 5:46 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2005
    ST. LOUIS - The Governor's Cup series between the St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs is never much more than an average preseason game.

This year it may be even more of a yawner given that the Chiefs will be without Trent Green, who's been experiencing numbness in his lower left leg and foot, and that the Rams will be playing their second game in five days. Coach Mike Martz noted it could be worse, given that the NFL had originally wanted this game to be held on Thursday, precious little time in either case coming off a 37-13 victory at Detroit on Monday night.

"You don't want it to be that way," defensive tackle Tyoka Jackson said. "That's not how you would draw it up. I've never played a game this quickly, so this is something new for me."

Like most final exhibition games, it's primarily a test for players trying to make the 53-man roster.

"This is a great opportunity for some of these guys to make this team, and some that may not, to expose themselves to the whole NFL," Martz said. "It's very important for these guys, that's really what we're kind of banking on."

With only two days of practice to prepare for the game, the Rams will be going with a skeletal game plan.

"We did nothing for Kansas City, nothing," Martz said. "So whatever happens, happens out there."

The frontliners won't play much, either.

"We're going to protect our starters in this last game," Martz said. "You have to. Only a fool wouldn't do it."

Jonathan Quinn will start at quarterback for the Chiefs in place of Green, recovering surgery on his lower left leg. He remains on track to start in the opener Sept. 11 at home against the Jets.

Quinn, who was with the Bears last year but was unemployed before the Chiefs signed him two weeks ago, likely will play the first half. The regular backup, Todd Collins, is out with a hand injury.

One of the more intriguing story lines for the Chiefs could be the debut of former Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell, who has one game to audition for a job. The Chiefs picked him up at the start of training camp but he's been sidelined by a knee injury and for a time considered arthroscopic surgery.

"I've got four years of game tape," Mitchell said. "Hey, I was breast-fed on big games. I'm ready to go out there."

Cornerback Eric Warfield also figures to get his only extensive action in the preseason. He's suspended for the first four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

This will be the third trip back to St. Louis for Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, who coached the 1999 Rams to their only Super Bowl championship. The Rams have 12 players that played for him,...
    -09-01-2005, 06:05 PM
  • RamWraith
    Coach Scott Linehan August 26
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

August 26, 2008

(Opening remarks)

“Basically today was our largest probably work day of the week. We are basically playing a game after five days rest which gets a little tricky. We got a lot a lot done in the last two days and we have a lot to do tomorrow. We will travel on Thursday, game day, which is a little bit of a change but it has been done before here. It is a short trip, so it enables us to get a little bit more work done here at home.”

(On how WR Drew Bennett performed before his injury)

“I thought he was having a real solid camp. Again, he has had a little bit of a setback here at the end of training camp but I don’t think it is going to be serious; it wasn’t more than a strain. He did pull his groin basically the week before our last game and re-aggravated it in the game Saturday. But he has been playing very well, playing extremely hard and unfortunately he has had a little temporary setback but he will be back on the field here by next week, I would think.”

(On his concerns with the number of drops Drew Bennett’s has had so far)

“Well no receiver is going to be satisfied if they don’t catch balls that they feel they can catch, which is good. He is holding himself accountable to a very high standard and he will play very good football for us and has performed well for us in practice. Again, that’s not excuse or reason for anything. It is just, he expects a lot more of himself and because of that he will get better.”

(On if there is any reason for traveling the same day to Kansas City)

“Just to try to get more done here. Really you kind of loose a day if you travel on a short week, if you could help it on Wednesday. This makes sense. It is our last road trip in preseason and it is just across state.”

(On if tomorrow’s practice will be a walk through)

“It is going to be mostly walk through. It is going to be 24 hours before the game. We will try to get a little more done because of the short week. But we have set it up so we can get a little more meeting time and then get on the field for a little more than what we would normally do before a game.”

(On if this game is a rivalry game with the Kansas City Chiefs)

“Of course, cross-state rivals, it is the Governor’s Cup. It is important, we probably hear and see a lot of each other. We had some basic plans to begin with, to even work with each other when we were considering one of the sites closer to their training camp site in Wisconsin. So all those would have been and made a lot of sense for interest and things like that. I think both teams probably follow each other a little bit because we are so close to each other.

(On how long QB Trent Green...
    -08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
  • Nick
    PD: Rams prepare to face another star RB
    by Nick
    Rams prepare to face another star RB
    10 hours ago • By Jim Thomas

This Rams’ season began with them facing Adrian Peterson. There was DeMarco Murray, the LeSean McCoy-Darren Sproles tag team, then Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch.

Is there an opponent on the Rams’ 2014 schedule that doesn’t have an elite running back?

That’s what defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is wondering, and the Rams aren’t out of the woods yet. On Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium, it’s time for Jamaal Charles of the Kansas City Chiefs.

“Every week we’ve got one that’s one of the tops in the business,” Williams said Friday, shaking his head. “Charles presents a lot of things. He can get into space like Sproles and McCoy could at Philadelphia.

“He can put his head down and get the tough yards like Murray and all the other guys that we’ve faced. So yeah we’ve got a tough job right there, and on how they’re committed to the run.”

Committed they are. The Chiefs average 31 rushing attempts per game; only Dallas (33.6), Cleveland (32.5) and Indianapolis (31.6) run more often. And in this pass-crazy league only Dallas (235 runs, 214 passes), Cleveland (195-191) and the Chiefs (186-186) haven’t thrown the ball more than they’ve run it this season.

After a poor start on run defense, the Rams have been noticeably better the past two weeks. OK, quarterback scrambles and keepers are a different matter, but when it comes to running backs they limited Lynch to 53 yards on 18 carries last Sunday — or just 2.9 yards per tote.

In the Oct. 13 Monday night game against the *****, Gore had a mere 38 yards on 16 carries — just 2.4 yards per carry. Now comes Charles, the AFC’s leading rusher a year ago with 1,287 yards.

“Completely different challenge this week in the run game,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s a lot of read-option, a lot of that stuff.”

The Chiefs have a “power” element to their game as well, but they also attack the edges. They run a lot of “stretch” plays, in which it seems as if the entire offensive line is heading one direction and the back picks his spot and goes. All things considered, Fisher said it’s the most diverse running game the Rams will see all season.

The past two weeks, the Rams have focused on the power-running games in the NFC West.

On that score Fisher said, “there’s a lot of similarities between San Francisco and Seattle. This run game this week is going to be a big challenge for us.”

The Chiefs do have a big power back in Knile Davis, who actually has more carries than Charles so far this season because Charles missed time because of a high ankle sprain. But Charles is now healthy and beginning to assert himself in the backfield.

“He can get to full speed in about a step-and-a-half,” Fisher said. “It takes him literally two steps and he’s full speed, he’s by you. He’s got the quickness...
    -10-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Working...
X