• Giants have given up on Warner, season

They are down 37-7 after three quarters, and here are Eli's numbers:

Attempts: 17
    Completions: 4
    Yards: 27
    TDs: 0
    Ints: 2
    QB Rating: -21.3!!!!!!!

And still, they haven't brought Warner back in.

Clearly the Giants want Eli to have his trial by fire, and they don't care if the season is burned along with him.

Oh well. At least Kurt showed enough in his nine games to get a gig next year.

Re: Giants have given up on Warner, season

It's impossible to have a negative QB rating. :p

But that said, if they put Warner in and he does well, the Giants will be under fire to make another switch, and they can't do that to Eli, their future. They ended Warner's season by switching to Eli, now they have to live with it come Hell or high water.

Comment

They brought Kurt in and guess what...

3-3, 72 yards and the Giants score a TD!

Man, the New York papers are going to have a field day tonight!!!!

Comment

Man, the New York papers are going to have a field day tonight!!!!
        As well they should. For Coughlin or the FO or who ever to decide to play a rookie quarterback in the heat of a playoff run was sheer lunacy or stupidity, take your pick.

What's worse for the Giants, as bad as Manning has played, and that's BAD, he now looks to have lost what little poise and confidence he managed to hold on to in his first 3 starts. He now looks dazed, confused, timid and unsure of every move he makes.

Comment

Manning has definitely been getting worse every week. When Warner came in, though it was garbage time, the offense at least looked like it was populated with individuals that have a pulse.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
            They ended Warner's season by switching to Eli, now they have to live with it come Hell or high water.
            I'm predicting both Hell AND high water.
            Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Warners numbers 6/9 127, we could have used him today!

Comment

Indeed, Rambos. Indeed. :disappoin

Comment

Would it be wrong to mention the shape the Rams might be in with Warner and Bulger? Since I happen to believe that Warner would have won the job in an open competition. Of course, there would never be one of those with Martz as coach. Or a balanced gameplan. Okay, maybe I'm glad for Warner that he's not in St. Louis anymore.

Comment

I don't think it would be wrong... but I do think, thanks to Martz' lack of people skills, there is no way that both Bulger and Warner could have been satisfied with any possible scenario with them both on the team. Bulger had too much of a taste of success (Which Martz did not sober by pointing out the fact that the way Bulger played raised as many concerns as it did hopes) to settle for a backup job for another few years.

Comment

There's an old saying that John Madden likes to repeat...

If you have two starting QBs, you have none.

Comment

Well Archie, all of a sudden the sunny skies of San Diego look far more appealing than the gloomy shores of Gotham that your baby boy is in now, don't they?
                        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Don't look at just this year. San Diego wins one year then tanks for ten.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                            Don't look at just this year. San Diego wins one year then tanks for ten.
                            So are you predicting a decade of defeats in the Chargers future?
                            The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Regardless of where anyway sits on the Warner-Bulger debate (my opinion will forever remain sealed), all must agree that Warner got a royal shafting in NYC. It's clear their losses were not his fault. The Giants probably could have made a caliant run at the wild card with KW and instead they are an embarassment.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

QB Kurt Warner is set to leave the Giants and become a starter for another NFL team.
                                by Guest
                                December 29, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Kurt Warner believes he can and will be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

QB Kurt Warner is set to leave the Giants and become a starter for another NFL team.
                                Eli Manning is the Giants’ starter. Therefore, the Giants’ Sunday night season finale against the Dallas Cowboys could well be Warner’s final game in a Giants uniform.

“Very possibly,” Warner said today. “I think everybody would foresee that being the case. Who knows what’s going to happen? You never know what the future has in store and what could transpire. But I think that’s everybody’s thought process right now.

“I want to be somewhere starting next year. They know it’s not here with the New York Giants. And they understand my point of view 100 percent.”

Warner, who was signed as a free agent on June 2 after a record-breaking six-year run with the St. Louis Rams, started the first nine games of the season. The Giants were 5-4 in those games and Warner completed 62.8 percent of his passes (174 of 277) for 2,054 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. Warner’s quarterback rating of 86.5 still ranks seventh in the NFC.

After a 17-14 loss in Arizona on November 14, coach Tom Coughlin named Manning the new starting quarterback. The first pick in this year’s NFL Draft – and a player the Giants obtained in a trade of draft choices, including this year’s first round pick -- Manning was the quarterback of the future. The only question was when that future would arrive.

Since it did, Warner has played just once in relief, an appearance in a hopelessly lost cause in the fourth quarter of a 23-point defeat in Baltimore, where he led the Giants to their only offensive touchdown.

Throughout what could have been a difficult or uncomfortable position, Warner has carried himself with dignity and grace. He has helped Manning whenever possible. Warner has publicly advocated that Coughlin stick with Manning, even when the youngster struggled, and it seemed he might have a shot to play again. And Warner has never hidden from the media. Today he entered the locker room and said, “Does anybody need me?”

While Warner is an exceptional gentleman, he is also an intense competitor. It is that fire that helped him win two NFL Most Valuable Player awards and twice lead the Rams to the Super Bowl, including a victory five years ago. At 33, Warner insists he has plenty of good football left in him, a notion that was cemented in his own mind by his play early this season.

“I’m not going to be content, right now in my career, where I am and what I believe I can do, being a backup next year,” he said. “It’s just the bottom line. It’s nothing against the New York Giants, it’s nothing against the situation, the coaches, the organization. I love my year here. But I’m not content being a backup. I think...
                                -12-29-2004, 07:57 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Interesting Takes From Warner & Coughlin
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Wednesday, June 9, 2004

By Sal Paolantonio
                                Special to ESPN.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- You can see it in his eyes. Kurt Warner's eyes are wide open, revealing the happiness of a man who has emerged from the long slumber of lost opportunity.

"I feel completely re-energized," said Warner, as he came off the field after his first mini-camp practice with his new team, the New York Giants.

Warner lacked some zip on his passes during practices.
                                Rewind to Giants Stadium, Week 1 last year. Under constant pressure from Michael Strahan and company, Warner was sacked six times and fumbled six times, and started his last game for the St. Louis Rams. Sitting on the trainer's table in the visitors' locker room at Giants Stadium that Sunday afternoon, Warner had just been diagnosed with a mild concussion and his eyes had the vacant look of a man who had just bought a one-way ticket down the rabbit hole.

The contrast between Warner then and Warner now couldn't be more stark. And the situation couldn't be more ironic -- the team that ended his season has now handed Warner a chance at NFL redemption.

It's no wonder that Warner has displayed the same wide-eyed eagerness of the former stock boy from Iowa who emerged from NFL Europe and replaced the injured Trent Green to re-write the history of Rams football in St. Louis.

"Normally, the player will sit down and will have to talk to his agent on the phone," said Giants head coach Tom Coughlin. "He said, 'I don't want any of this. Let's get this done.' He signed right away. He was down the hall, looking for coaches, saying 'Let's go meet.' He wanted to get himself immersed in this offense right away."

There is good reason for Warner to be anxious. Coming to New York means that Warner, who will be 33 on June 22, will be under-going several mid-life, mid-course adjustments.

He must adjust to the demands of Coughlin's offense, which shall we say is a bit more conservative than the Greatest Show on Turf choreographed by Mike Martz. And Warner will be learning the new offense with a newly minted franchise quarterback, Eli Manning, looking over his shoulder.

The Giants invested two first-round draft picks and expended a lot of public relations good will to acquire Manning in a trade with San Diego in this year's NFL draft. Some see Warner as the perfect mentor for Manning, or at least a temporary diversion so that Manning can incubate his talents without being over-exposed by the white, hot lights of the New York media.

Warner will have none of that. You can tell by the tone and conviction in his voice that, for Warner, this is not about Peyton Manning's little brother.

"Obviously, I'm coming in to...
                                -06-10-2004, 05:07 PM
                              • Shadesofgrey
                                The Giants on Kurt Warner
                                by Shadesofgrey
                                The Giants are suddenly 2-1, and while that isn't a total surprise considering that their victories came against the Redskins and, most recently, a severely decimated band of Browns, it is how they are doing it rather than to whom that has been impressive.

The Giants are suddenly 2-1, and while that isn't a total surprise considering that their victories came against the Redskins and, most recently, a severely decimated band of Browns, it is how they are doing it rather than to whom that has been impressive.

Starting QB Kurt Warner has regained his swagger, which may be bad news for the remaining defenses on the schedule and perhaps a little dagger to the heart of the St. Louis Rams , who callously let him go and chose Marc Bulger instead.

He is throwing the ball with uncanny precision, enough so that he has actually elicited praise from the normally tight-lipped veteran wide receivers, Amani Toomer and Ike Hilliard .

"Kurt is putting the ball exactly where he has to for me to make the catch," said Toomer, who caught five passes for 126 yards against Cleveland. "He is spreading it around so that one or two of us are usually clear. And because of what he's doing, I think our offense is getting an identity. We are aggressive. You can't load up on our running game and you can't load up on our passing game because we are balanced."

Hilliard, asked the difference between this year's offense and last year's 4-12 disaster, said: "Number 13. It all starts with him."

The secret, of course, is two-fold: The Giants must continue to see the offensive line improve and, at the same time, they must stay away from injuries.
                                -10-04-2004, 09:12 PM
                              • LaRamsFanLongTime
                                Kurt Warner has been benched
                                by LaRamsFanLongTime
                                After another hard loss for the New Yourk Giants, Tom Coughlin announced that Eli Manning will start for the Giants. After the loss Coughlin said Warner would start but Monday the story changed and so did the starting QB for the Giants.

"Eli has been involved in the game plan, he knows the system and he will come in and play the game."

"Kurt will be very supportive of Eli."
                                This sucks for Kurt, man I was pulling for him.
                                -11-15-2004, 12:37 PM
                              • Nick
                                Giants: Warner's agent says they aren't a lock to land QB
                                by Nick
                                Giants: Warner agent says they aren't a lock to land QB
                                Tuesday, June 01, 2004
                                BY KIMBERLY JONES
                                Star-Ledger Staff

Kurt Warner's six-year career with the Rams is expected to end today, after the NFL's 4 p.m. close of business. His career with his next team, possibly the Giants, officially could begin as early as tomorrow.

As teams make their June 1 cuts, Warner, the two-time league MVP who has won one Super Bowl and lost another, will be among the most intriguing players to watch. His signing with the Giants is viewed by many around the league as a foregone conclusion, particularly because the union would appear equally beneficial to both parties.

Not so fast, said Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein. He called that assumption "definitely jumping to conclusions" and said he had discussed "no specific offers" with any club. The Giants were the only team to court Warner publicly last month, though Bartelstein maintained that more expressed interest.

Bartelstein expects Warner's release from the Rams to come tonight and said a signing will follow "very quickly." Warner became expendable in St. Louis after the Rams made a commitment to his former backup, Mark Bulger.

The Giants' quarterback of the future is rookie first-rounder Eli Manning. But Warner, who will turn 33 in three weeks, could be the veteran they need to have a chance to win this season.

Given permission by the Rams to explore his options, Warner visited the Giants on May 10-11, a trip Bartelstein described as "great." Warner left Giants Stadium with the impression he would have a chance to win the starting job, thus providing a unique opportunity to revitalize his career.

Several Giants players would feel more comfortable having Warner as the starter for the Sept. 12 season opener in Philadelphia, provided he is healthy. And his arrival would help to soothe the uneasiness in the locker room left by last month's release of starter Kerry Collins, who was highly regarded among his teammates.

The biggest question about Warner is his health. In his only start last season, he fumbled six times at Giants Stadium, leading to speculation that a thumb injury and concussion history would perhaps end a distinguished career as remarkable for its quick rise as sudden fall. Warner was given a physical during his visit and deemed healthy by the Giants medical staff.

The Giants have two minicamps this month, with the first beginning Monday. Coach Tom Coughlin would prefer a veteran quarterback signed and in attendance.

An off-season that already has seen incredible turnover -- the Giants have added 17 veterans through free agency or waiver claims in the past three months -- will see that total increase. June 1 has become a significant date on the league calendar because the salary-cap hit...
                                -06-01-2004, 09:02 AM
                              Working...
                              X