Coughlin Sticking with Manning As Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coughlin Sticking with Manning As Starter

I'm not sure if I trade for Brees if I'm Dallas and it's going to cost a first rounder and more. Brees has had one good season to counter one very poor one and another less than stellar season. I'm not sure if that's the kind of production I'd say is proof of anything. Let's not forget he has arguably the best running back in football behind him and a top three tight end to throw to. His receivers aren't big names, but they're not shabby either, especially with the acquisition of McCardell. This isn't to say that Brees's production is because of his supporting cast, but that has to be factored in, especially considering his 2002 and 2003 seasons.

Between Drew Henson and the depth in this year's QB class, I think Dallas can find a capable starter elsewhere, especially considering they have two first round picks in 2005. They could either package both and trade up into the higher rounds to take one of the elite signal callers in Rogers or Leinart (if he decides to come out), or they can take someone like Orton or Walter later in the first day, both of whom I think can be capable starters in a Dallas system that doesn't require heroics from the quarterback.

Comment

Hell, Warner could go to the Titans, the Raiders,The Seahawks , Dallas would end his career, they kinda suck !But Warner could start anywhere given the chance. Don't kid yourself! :tongue:

Comment

Titans could be a possibility IF McNair retires. Raiders....not a chance. Warner has ZERO chance of starting over Collins. Seahawks will go back to Hasselbeck.

I'm not so sure that Warner has as many options or the faith of very many GM's that you guys may perceive he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx
          Seahawks will go back to Hasselbeck.
          As long as, A) they can get him signed, B) they want to sign him after his lack-luster performance this year, and C) he is a higher priority to sign than Alexander, Jones and Lucas, or D) there's enough cap left over after they sign Alexander, Jones and Lucas.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

So much depends on which coaches actually stay or go. I'm not convinced Holmgren will be staying in Seattle. If he takes the San Fran job, like some have speculated, why not take Hasslebeck with him? I don't think Matt's terribly thrilled about the prospect of playing with the "droppsie twins" again next year. Shanahan's a question mark too. It's possible that he won't be in Denver next year and maybe taking the Miami job.

I think Detroit is a viable option for Warner at this point. Marriuci knows Warnrer about as well as any opposing coach in the league and the Joey experiment looks like it might be coming to an end. Mooch didn't draft Joey so I don't know that there's much loyalty there. It will be interesting to see where Warner ends up, that's for sure. I hope he learned his lesson and is fed up with bad offensive schemes/line's and chooses somewhere that at least pretends to try and put a good o-line on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by theodus69
              Hell, Warner could go to the Titans, the Raiders,The Seahawks , Dallas would end his career, they kinda suck !But Warner could start anywhere given the chance. Don't kid yourself! :tongue:
              Yes, Warner could go to all those places. And he could start anywhere, but will teams give him the chance to start is the real question?

It seems as if Kurt will only go to a team that offers him the chance to start - why, I'm not sure. But the Titans have their QB in Volek if something happens to McNair, the Raiders seem to be content with Collins and they have a young gunslinder in Marques Tuiasosopo who many are impressed with. The Seahawks already have a grizzled veteran in Dilfer, so they're looking for a young QB to be the future for their franchise. If it's not Hasselbeck, it certainly won't be Warner.

While Kurt proved he still has what it takes to be efficient on the field, he didn't do much to disprove the idea that he has hand problems that affect his ability to handle the ball. People are going to be thinking of that as much as the positives he's done in his limited time this season.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                Manning startng
                by RamWraith
                ESPN.com news services

Rookie quarterback Eli Manning will make his first professional start when the Giants play the defending NFC champion Panthers in a preseason game Thursday.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin made the announcement Tuesday.

Manning is competing with veteran Kurt Warner for the starting job. Warner started last week's 34-24 victory over Kansas City.

"It's Eli's turn. Eli will go. He will start," Coughlin said. "The decision coming in is that they will compete for the job, and so therefore we're going to give them the opportunity for both of them to have a start. And this is Eli's opportunity.
                -08-17-2004, 11:08 AM
              • Nick
                On 2nd thought, Eli may start
                by Nick
                On 2nd thought, Eli may start
                BY JULIAN GARCIA
                DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tom Coughlin got his first chance to see quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Eli Manning in game conditions when the Giants played the Kansas City Chiefs in the teams' preseason opener on Friday night. Then early yesterday morning, Coughlin got a second look - on tape - and it's clear he likes what he sees from the rookie.

A few days after declaring the race for the starting job dead even, Coughlin still maintains that neither quarterback has taken the inside track at this point. But this much seems clear: Manning has a legitimate chance to start the season as the No.1 quarterback.

"There is a ways to go in this thing," Coughlin said in a conference call with reporters yesterday.

In the Giants' 34-24 win against the Chiefs, Warner played with the first-team offense and completed three of his seven passes for 49 yards. Manning entered to a standing ovation midway through the second quarter and completed seven of 13 attempts for 91 yards.

Neither quarterback threw a touchdown pass or an interception.

Though Coughlin seemed annoyed when a reporter asked him during a postgame press conference whether he would start Manning in Thursday's game at Carolina - the coach snapped: "I'll make that decision later in the week, thank you very much" - he appears to be considering flip-flopping the quarterbacks' roles this week.

Coughlin said he will review the game tape again before making a decision, but he added that he was pleased with the way Manning moved the team, particularly in a two-minute drill at the end of the first half that culminated in Bill Gramatica's 42-yard field goal at the gun.

What stood out most about Manning's performance was how composed he remained during the drill, Coughlin said. Not that he was surprised by that.

"He's done that throughout training camp," the coach said.

Coughlin also said he would like to see Warner get rid of the ball a little sooner.

"I think Kurt, sometimes to a fault, will want to take advantage of every opportunity he has to allow the receiver to break free," Coughlin said.
                -08-17-2004, 07:52 AM
              • Nick
                SI: Coughlin picked the wrong time to replace Warner with Manning at QB
                by Nick
                Coughlin picked the wrong time to replace Warner with Manning at QB
                Posted: Tuesday November 16, 2004 11:17AM;
                Updated: Tuesday November 16, 2004 1:29PM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin announced the news in his typically stern manner. Eli Manning is the future of his team, Coughlin said during his Monday afternoon press conference, and the future is starting now. He talked about Manning's preparation and attitude and made it seem as if the rookie quarterback was ready to lead a team that is in a mind-boggling free-fall. But Coughlin didn't sound confident. He sounded desperate. And if he thinks Eli Manning is going to change the Giants' fortunes, he's about to be seriously disappointed.

It's one thing for the New York media to clamor for Manning to replace struggling starter Kurt Warner. But for Coughlin to move to Manning now -- with the Giants sitting at 5-4 in a conference in which nine victories might secure a playoff spot -- smacks of sheer lunacy.

What exactly does Manning bring to the Giants offense that Warner didn't? He's just as immobile as Warner, which means he'll be sitting in the pocket and probably taking as many sacks as Warner did over the last four weeks. That's the reality of playing behind an offensive line that has started to perform as poorly as many people expected it would when the season began. Manning certainly won't take better care of the football than Warner did last Sunday, when he didn't not give the ball away in a 17-14 loss to Arizona. Warner atoned for a four-turnover performance a week earlier by not giving the ball away once in a loss to Arizona. And the last time I checked, Manning wasn't playing both ways, so he couldn't help a defense that has blown double-digit leads against offensively challenged teams in consecutive weeks.

There are countless issues for the Giants to address but apparently Manning is the man who will have to overcome them. It's a difficult position to place him in. He's only played in two games, both when the outcomes were clearly decided, so he'll have little feel for the action. He also didn't look so hot in his season-opening debut in relief of Warner, when Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Jerome McDougle hit him so hard that Manning briefly resembled a life-sized Bobblehead doll. Coughlin wisely stuck with Warner as his starter after that game, if for no other reason than that it made more sense for a 33-year-old quarterback to take that kind of abuse than the first pick in the draft. Now Manning is surely going to face worse treatment.

His first opponent up will be Atlanta, a team that had seven sacks in a win over Tampa Bay last Sunday. He then gets an Eagles defense that will be blitzing him all afternoon. Then comes Washington, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, three teams that all rank among the NFL's top five defensive units. If people thought Warner was having problems moving the offense,...
                -11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
              • RamFan_Til_I_Die
                Eli Manning has a gun accident
                by RamFan_Til_I_Die
                Eli Manning Accidentally Shoots Himself with a Water Gun at Chuck E. Cheese

The New York Giants have been able to overcome a myriad of distractions this season, thanks in no small part to the steady hand of quarterback Eli Manning. But it is now Manning himself who has provided the latest distraction after accidentally shooting himself in the thigh last night at a Manhattan nightspot.

“Right now we are just concerned for Eli’s well being,” said head coach Tom Coughlin. “It was really embarrassing for him. The gunshot left a wet spot down the front of his pants, and all the other kids made fun of him, thinking he peed his pants. So he’s upset. He thought he had finally gotten past the years of taunts from bullies.”

Manning shot himself in the leg at approximately 5:25 p.m. when his Super Soaker water gun slipped down his OshKosh B’Gosh overalls as he climbed out of the ball pit, spraying his left thigh.

The quarterback’s mother, Olivia Manning, was at the Chuck E. Cheese with her son and fled the scene with him and disposed of the gun.

“We had to get out of there,” said Mrs. Manning. “We had to change his pants and it was time to go anyway – Eli gets overwhelmed after an hour or so at Chuck E. Cheese because of all the flashing lights and noise and all the other kids. And that gun had been leaking for a while. He has plenty of others.”

Security at the Chuck E. Cheese – namely the establishment’s security guard/janitor, Dale Huntley – said he was unaware of the incident.

“I didn’t see or hear the gunshot,” said Huntley. “But I was keeping my eye on him when I wasn’t emptying trash cans. He had the carriage of pee-pant, and you have to make sure those kids don’t pee in the ball pit or it becomes very unsanitary.”

Manning is currently in his mother’s bed recuperating from the traumatic incident, but the Giants expect him to be able to play on Sunday.

“He’ll be okay,” said Coughlin. “Usually when something bad happens to him, all he needs is a cup of hot cocoa and his Elmo DVD. He’s a trooper.”
                -12-08-2008, 11:56 AM
              • ramsanddodgers
                Emotional Jeremy Shockey gives Eli Manning one last wedgie
                by ramsanddodgers
                Former New York Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey stopped by the team’s facility one last time on Monday to say his goodbyes to his ex-teammates before departing for New Orleans. He also made sure to pull Eli Manning’s underwear deep into the quarterback’s anus one last time.
                “Oh, Eli, you stupid, little dork,” Shockey said, ripping Manning’s underwear strap up over his head. “I know I gave you a hard time. But I’m going to miss trying to jump for your overthrown passes and giving you wedgies and shoving your head in floater-filled toilets. You suck and I hate you. But it was all in good fun, you stupid queer.”
                Manning says he has mixed feelings about Shockey’s departure.
                “You hate to lose good players,” he said. “But I think I’ll play better without him yelling at me all the time. Not to mention that I’ll have less bleeding anal wounds to play through. The other fellas give me wedgies, of course, but not as much as Jeremy did.”

SportsPickle.com - The Sports Humor and Satire Site on the Internet
                -07-23-2008, 06:46 PM
              Working...
              X