• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Cardinals] Cards feeling defeated

4-9 record takes its toll on Green

Tim Tyers
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 14, 2004 12:00 AM

The demeanor of Cardinals coach Dennis Green on Monday was that of a man ready to cut loose with a refrain from an old country song: "You ripped my heart out and stomped that sucker flat."

The man who predicted a winning season and possible playoff berth upon his arrival had nothing good to say about his four-win team, or the way the season has transpired during his first season with the Cardinals.

San Francisco, with only two wins, is considered the worst team in pro football. But both of its wins have come against the Cardinals, including Sunday's 31-28 win in overtime, so where does that leave the Cardinals? advertisement

Emmitt Smith, the NFL's career rushing leader, said after Sunday's loss that the team is making elementary mistakes and insinuated that some of the problem is coaching.

"You know," Green said, "everybody has their own opinion. I will reserve mine."

To his credit, Green didn't dodge the issue when asked if he was worried about losing the attention of his team.

"Absolutely," he said. "You worry about losing everybody. I don't think (owner) Mr. Bill Bidwill is very happy right now. I don't think he counted on hiring a new coach and having the new coach be 4-9. It's everybody. I don't think the fans counted on being 4-9. I know I didn't count on being 4-9 . . .

"There is a chance to lose everybody when you get into a situation where you are not winning . . . "

Green took on a huge task when he came to Arizona in January to rebuild the franchise. Yet, Sunday's loss guaranteed the Cardinals their 15th losing season in the past 17 years. The question now is, how much progress has been made?

"I would hope to say a lot of things are better, but you know . . . sometimes we are in a bottom line business. In fact, most of the time we are.

"We only had 35,000 people there (Sunday). That's not a very big crowd, not a lot of people for the fifth-largest city in America. That's not a lot of people who want to come and watch you play in your stadium."

In Sunday's game there were five major errors on special teams, the offense didn't report for duty until the second half and Arizona's gambling defense was once again porous against the run. Nondescript Maurice Hicks, an undrafted free agent, not only became the eighth rusher to top 100 yards against Arizona, but his 139 yards came within 5 yards of matching his season total entering the game.

Green said the Cardinals are not physical enough at the point of attack against the run. They've tried to offset that with blitzes, but sometimes the formation takes away the blitz and the lack of physicality and failure to gain penetration in their base defense leaves them vulnerable to the run.

Asked what the mood of his team was in the wake of Sunday's loss, Green said, "I haven't seen them today. I know what my mood is. It's obvious. There's five teams out of 16 in the NFC that have winning records, so there have been opportunities for us to be a winning team, and we are not."

Extra points

Anthony Clement will replace L.J. Shelton at right tackle Sunday when the Cardinals host the St. Louis Rams. The team is expected to learn today whether Shelton's knee injury involves a ligament tear or a sprain.

The same situation applies to linebacker Ray Thompson, who suffered a shoulder injury.

Re: [Cardinals] Cards feeling defeated

Denny Green just had a meltdown this year when he started messing around with his QB situation. It sent his team into a tailspin that hopefully they won't break out of next Sunday. It worries me though that the Rams seem to be the best medicine for every down-and-out team they play. That is of course with the exception of the whiners who wish they were just down-and-out instead of DEAD-and-pathetic.

Comment

Re: [Cardinals] Cards feeling defeated

Arizona scares me a bit with the new coach and everything. As a Big Blue fan, Navarre is a good quarterback and should do well in the NFL with some time and experience. Messing with the QB situation was incredibly idiotic. They, like the Giants, should have stayed with the original QB's. That's not Monday morning quarterbacking either as everyone said that when they made the switch.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bruce=GOAT
        Arizona Cardinals lose player
        by Bruce=GOAT
        Cardinals lose tackle Oliver Ross to knee injury
        Cardinals lose tackle Oliver Ross to knee injury

August 2, 2006

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona Cardinals right tackle Oliver Ross will miss at least three weeks, and possibly as many as 10, because of a right knee injury.

Coach Dennis Green said Ross may have torn his meniscus. The club was awaiting test results.

"We'll just have to see what's going to take place," Green said. "They can get a little more examination of the information and make a decision on him."

Ross, an eight-year veteran, said he hurt his knee during a blocking drill Wednesday morning during practice at Northern Arizona University. "My foot slipped, and then I felt something," he said. "I was just like, 'Football.' I kind of tried to work through it. It started getting tighter and tighter as practice went on."

Ross, who signed a five-year free agent contract last year, missed four games a year ago because of a broken hand.

Green said Fred Wakefield could replace Ross in the lineup.
        -08-02-2006, 04:20 PM
      • Varg6
        Dennis Green Fired from Cards
        by Varg6
        TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals fired coach Dennis Green on Monday after he failed to turn the downtrodden franchise into a winner in three seasons on the job.

Green was dismissed one day after the Cardinals concluded a 5-11 season with a 27-20 loss at San Diego. He finished with a 16-32 record at Arizona. The Cardinals will pay $2.5 million to buy out the final year of his contract.

He was the seventh coach the Cardinals have had since the franchise moved to Arizona in 1988. Green's mission was to turn around the perpetually losing Cardinals, who have had one winning season since 1984, and put a winner into the new stadium when it opened this season.

The stadium, the signing of running back Edgerrin James and the drafting of quarterback Matt Leinart stirred up interest in the team, which sold out every home game this year.

But after a season-opening home victory over San Francisco, the Cardinals lost eight in a row and quickly fell out of the playoff hunt. The skid included close home losses to St. Louis, Kansas City and, most memorably on a Monday night, Chicago.

Green demoted offensive coordinator Keith Rowen after six games and replaced him with Mike Kruczek, one of many shakeups on his staff during his time with the Cardinals. Leinart replaced Kurt Warner after five games and showed great promise.

However, the team's fortunes didn't turn around until the coach finally settled on who should play on the offensive line. Arizona won four of its last seven but it was too little, too late.

Green was out of coaching after his decade with the Minnesota Vikings ended in 2001. He was lured back by a four-year, $10 million contract and the belief that Arizona was on the brink of becoming a successful team.

He made several moves that seemed to backfire, beginning with the abrupt release of offensive lineman Pete Kendall on the eve of his first training camp. In his first season, Green benched quarterback Josh McCown for Shaun King even though the team had won three of its last four. By the time McCown got the job back, the Cardinals had lost three straight.

Green's three teams in Arizona went 6-10, 5-11 and 5-11. He has a career NFL coaching record of 124-115.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Wow...truly shocking! :P
        -01-01-2007, 10:21 AM
      • Nick
        Arizona looks like (gulp) playoff contender
        by Nick
        Arizona looks like (gulp) playoff contender
        By Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist

EAST VALLEY TRIBUNE (Mesa, Ariz.) Where's the key? Oh, there it is. Top row, right-hand corner.
        I've used the letter P before when writing about the Cardinals. But usually I have to buy a vowel after hitting it.
        Pathetic. Putrid. Pitiful.

Playoffs?

Yeah, way back in 1998, when Jake Plummer was still the darling of Arizona sports fans.

Since then, however, I've avoided the wishful thinking that comes with a Cardinals victory.

If they can win next week they'll be right back in it. Look at their schedule.
        They can win those games.

Then, of course, Arizona loses that winnable game, and the elevator lands with a thud. Or, to put it in football vernacular, the Cardinals 49er it. So, with full awareness of how fragile the limb is that I'm climbing on, I hereby proclaim that the Cardinals are — oh, goodness, am I really saying it? — playoff contenders.

Someone get me a drink to calm my nerves.

Yes, it sounds crazy. Arizona is 4-5 after its 17-14 victory over the New York Giants on Sunday. That's not playoff material. That's a Las Vegas lounge act.

But in the low tide pool that's the NFC, the Cardinals can spread their wings and take flight to parts unknown.

Arizona is one game out of the final wild card spot. More amazingly, it's just one game out of the lead in the NFC Worst, er, West.

If the Cardinals can beat 2-7 Carolina this Sunday, they'll be a .500 team and . . .

Hey, Bordow, didn't you read what you wrote a few paragraphs up? Quit dreaming. These are the Cardinals.

Yeah, I know that.

But at some point, we have to acknowledge coach Dennis Green is onto something.

The Cardinals have gone 4-2 since starting the season 0-3.

They're 3-1 at Sun Devil Stadium and have won three straight at home for the first time since 1999.

Of their final seven opponents, only three — the New York Jets, St. Louis and Seattle — have winning records.

It's enough to make an overgrown man get too big for his britches.

“Winning two straight games is nothing to get excited about,” said nose tackle Russell Davis. “We'll look back on that after our playoff game and say that's
        where the streak got started.”

OK, this may be a good time for a few rational thoughts:

- The Cardinals are 4-5, not 6-3. Who isn't 4-5 in the NFL?

- Had Arizona not successfully navigated the game-winning, fourth-quarter drive in Miami last week, we'd already have written its obituary.

- The Cardinals were 4-2 in 2002 and 6-6 in 1999. They finished 5-11 and 6-10, respectively.

“Man, anything can happen,” said tackle...
        -11-16-2004, 07:38 AM
      • Nick
        Things continuing to come undone in Arizona
        by Nick
        James angered by lack of running plays
        Kent Somers
        The Arizona Republic
        Oct. 9, 2006 12:00 AM

Running back Edgerrin James harshly criticized the team's play-calling after Sunday's 23-20 loss to Kansas City, saying the Cardinals didn't run the ball enough in the fourth quarter.

"We just got away from the run," said James, who gained 71 yards on 24 carries. "That's the stupidest thing. You have to be able to finish the game. You got to give us a chance, you know."

James carried four times for 10 yards in the fourth quarter.

Beginning with a possession that started with 9:29 remaining, the Cardinals passed on four consecutive plays. They were leading 20-17.

"That's like something new to me," James said. " I thought we played to win the game. You sit back and you wait and you say, 'OK, this is when my opportunity will come, this is when we're gong to wear them down and we're go to play to win the game.' But it's like we're doing the opposite."

The Cardinals did try to run on the last possession of the third quarter. James gained 9 yards on first down but was stopped on second and third downs.

Coach Dennis Green said that probably had something to do with the decision to pass later.

"We've got a certain amount of confidence in our passing attack," Green said. "I don't know if that's misplaced or not. And we don't have as much confidence in the running game, and I don't know if that's misplaced or not, to be honest with you. When you're 1-4, you're not sure of anything."

MRI for Fitzgerald
        An MRI exam today should reveal the severity of Larry Fitzgerald's right hamstring injury, sustained during the first quarter Sunday.

The Pro Bowl receiver said he injured it on a "pretty stupid play." The ball went to the opposite side of the field and he tried to position himself for a block.

"I was trying to crack back on a guy, and he just kind of moved out of the way at the last minute," Fitzgerald said. "When I was lunging, he wasn't there. I felt it pop on me."

Fitzgerald had caught two passes for 15 yards, including a 5-yard touchdown pass from Matt Leinart, but he knew he was finished for the day.

"I couldn't even straighten my leg out, so I knew I (couldn't) continue," he said.

Green considered the injury "fairly serious," but Fitzgerald refused to speculate.

Two thoughts
        Down 17-10 at halftime, Kansas City coach Herm Edwards had two thoughts: The score could have been worse, and the Chiefs couldn't afford to allow the Cardinals to score another touchdown.

"If we let them score one more touchdown, it's over," he said. "We did a pretty good job of that, holding them...
        -10-10-2006, 08:13 AM
      • Nick
        Green guarantees Cardinals playoff birth
        by Nick
        Cards coach to CofC: Expect 10-6 year
        Josh Kelley
        The Arizona Republic
        Jun. 24, 2004 12:00 AM

Dennis Green sounded more like a motivational speaker than a head football coach during a speech to the Tempe Chamber of Commerce at a luncheon Tuesday.

The first-year Arizona Cardinals coach told the crowd of about 300 that his mission is to inject an attitude of winning into a franchise with a legacy of losing.

"The Arizona Cardinals have never won before," Green said. "That has nothing to do with winning now."

Green, who lives in Ahwatukee Foothills, guaranteed a playoff berth and predicted a record of 10-6, a far cry from the Cardinals' record of 4-12 one year ago.

"I believe in fair play," Green said. "Every team should get a big, juicy bite of the apple."

Green described a team with plenty of young talent on offense, which figures to be the team's backbone, he said. Wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, last year's Heisman Trophy runner-up from the University of Pittsburgh,have impressed Green with their talent, along with tight end Freddie Jones and quarterback Josh McCown.

But Green's cheerleading turned sour when he expressed his displeasure over the Cardinals' first preseason game Aug. 14 in Minnesota against the Vikings, Green's former team.

"I think that's the National Football League's sense of humor and not mine," he said. "That was a terrible decision on their part . . . that game should be played here."

Because so many Vikings fans live in the Valley, the crowd turnout for a Vikings game would have been much larger than what's expected for the Cardinals' other scheduled preseason games, Green said.

He also called on residents to "defend your city" during the next NFL draft from the likes of Eli Manning, who wouldn't play for the San Diego Chargers despite the team using its No. 1 draft pick on him this year.

"Never allow a 23-year-old, snotty-nosed guy" to do that, Green said to a chorus of laughs.
        -06-24-2004, 10:16 PM
      Working...
      X