• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haslam To Johnny Manziel: 'This Isn't Hollywood'

Haslam to Johnny Manziel: 'This isn't Hollywood'

By Kevin Patra
    Around the League writer
    Published: May 12, 2014 at 03:43 p.m.

Johnny Manziel entered Cleveland drenched in celebrity and immediately became the most popular man on the team. His selection provided a suffering fan base with brief euphoria -- some went a bit loco.

The team, however, plans on reining in Johnny Football's expectations.

Owner Jimmy Haslam said Monday that the team told Manziel to act "like a backup quarterback," per ESPN.com.

"We were frank with (Manziel) on Friday that's the expectation, you're the backup quarterback," Haslam said while speaking at a Pro Football Hall of Fame luncheon in Canton, Ohio, per The Plain Dealer. "This is a hard-working, blue-collar town, this isn't Hollywood. We want you to come in and go to work."

The Browns open rookie minicamp Saturday, with organized team activities to follow next week. Haslam said the team plans to begin with Brian Hoyer as the starting quarterback.

"It's his job to lose," Haslam said of Hoyer.

Manziel's teammates said before the team's annual charity golf outing that the rookie wouldn't be automatically granted the job.

"I think good old Johnny Football is going to be a good addition to Cleveland," center Alex Mack said Monday. "Don't know who the starter is going to be, though."

That is the man snapping you the ball, Johnny.

"There's no handing over the job," tight end Jordan Cameron added.

At the end of the day, the players acknowledged that Manziel's off-field popularity is meaningless as long as the team wins.

"New England is probably the most secretive of any NFL program, and they still have Tom Brady doing Ugg commercials," offensive tackle Joe Thomas said. "He has TMZ following him everywhere he goes. It's just a matter of how the player handles it."

Re: Haslam To Johnny Manziel: 'This Isn't Hollywood'

I've been able to obtain exclusive video of Johnny Manziel's reaction to this news...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
      Manziel Enters Treatment Facility
      by AvengerRam_old
      [/I]While I certainly wish him well and hope he gets his act together, I am soooooooo glad the Rams did not take him....
      -02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
    • AvengerRam_old
      I'm not saying Johnny Manziel is overhyped, but _________ (finish the joke!)
      by AvengerRam_old
      I'm not saying Johnny Manziel is overhyped, but Pro Football Focus has already rated him as the No. 4 QB in the NFL for 2014.
      -05-05-2014, 12:39 PM
    • Rambos
      Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel enters NFL draft
      by Rambos
      USA TODAY Sports

In his two years at Texas A&M, Johnny Manziel accounted for 93 total touchdowns. Now he'll see how the Johnny Football Show will play at the next level.

Manziel wrote a thank you letter to Texas A&M fans for his two years in College Station while announcing his intent to enter the 2014 NFL draft Wednesday. "The decision was not an easy one," he wrote.

NFL.com and ESPN first reported Manziel's decision to enter the draft.

In 2013, Manziel completed 69.9% of his passes for 4,114 yards and 37 touchdowns. He also rushed for 759 yards and nine touchdowns. In 2012, his Heisman year, Manziel rushed for 1,410 yards and 21 touchdowns.

His career totals: 7,820 yards passing and 63 touchdowns with 22 interceptions, and 2,169 yards rushing and 30 touchdowns.

The Aggies finished the 2013 season 9-4.

"The sky's the limit for Johnny Manziel," said Florida State QB Jameis Winston, who became the second freshman, after Manziel, to win the Heisman. "He's an amazing person and amazing player on the field.

"The things he does with the ball in his hands, people always have faith in Johnny. His teammates are going to love him, because they know anything is possible with Johhny Football."

Most of the questions about Manziel's passing ability were answered this season, leaving only the bigger-picture arguments about his final legacy and where his two-year run puts him in the pantheon of great college quarterbacks.

"It's pretty incredible when you look at his two-year totals and numbers he's been able to put together," Duke coach David Cutcliffe said in the days before losing to Manziel and the Aggies in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. "The excitement meter in the way he plays takes it through the roof. To become somewhat legendary in one year puts you right at the top of the ladder in the historical sense of what an individual player has meant to college football."

Manziel also will leave, as Cutcliffe noted, with the distinction of being the first pop culture phenomenon from college football in the era of social media, making him the most talked-about, Tweeted-about, Instragrammed player the sport has ever seen.
      2013-12-29 johnny manziel presser

At the intersection of fame and immaturity, Manziel admittedly struggled at times to reconcile living life on his terms with the

responsibility of being a Heisman Trophy winner and legitimate celebrity.

When he was accused in August of receiving payments from memorabilia brokers to sign autographs — which led to an NCAA investigation and ultimately a suspension for the first half of Texas A&M's opener, it seemed the NCAA's amateurism rules would be as big a factor as anything in driving him to the NFL after this season....
      -01-08-2014, 06:51 PM
    • Nick
      Browns already done with JFF?
      by Nick
      Browns owner Jimmy Haslam jumps off Johnny Manziel bandwagon: ‘We’ve got to get a quarterback and got to get it fixed’
      By Nate Ulrich
      Beacon Journal sports writer
      Published: January 22, 2015 - 08:51 PM | Updated: January 23, 2015 - 06:57 AM

CLEVELAND: Browns owner Jimmy Haslam’s love of quarterback Johnny Manziel has transformed to disillusionment.

The shift in Haslam’s attitude toward Manziel was glaring Thursday night when he addressed the media backstage during the Greater Cleveland Sports Awards at the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel.

Haslam said selecting a quarterback in the first round of this year’s NFL Draft is on the table because the Browns have no idea who their starter will be next season. That’s an indictment of Manziel, the 22nd overall pick in last year’s draft who led the Browns to just three points in six quarters as a starter this past season.

“We’ve got to get a quarterback and got to get it fixed,” Haslam said. “Now that’s not to say Connor [Shaw], who in the last game played really well [as an undrafted rookie]. Right, for a first time? Hadn’t worked with the first team any against a really good [Baltimore Ravens] team on the road, played well. And that’s not to say Johnny can’t do it, but they both have to prove it, that they can do it over a period of time.

“You’ve got to have a really good quarterback and our situation, as coach [Mike] Pettine says, is still muddy, and we don’t know who our quarterback is going to be next year. And what I would say to our fans is we’re going to continue to work really hard to find that quarterback who can make us a championship team.”

Manziel has shown a dedication to partying but not a commitment to doing everything in his power to ensure he’ll improve as an NFL quarterback.

“I think Johnny has to show on and off the field he can be a professional,” Haslam said. “He knows that. Everybody in the organization has told him that. It’ll be up to [new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo] and Pett to decide whether he can be the kind of quarterback we need him to be. He knows what we expect of him on and off the field, and it’s up to him to prove he can do that.”

Haslam mentioned veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer as an afterthought.

Hoyer, who went 7-6 as a starter last season, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent March 10. The Browns benched him and started Manziel after Hoyer threw eight interceptions and one touchdown in a four-game span.

Asked where the Browns stand with Hoyer, Haslam said, “I think every option is open on the table for us in terms of who’s going to play next year.”

Will they try to negotiate with Hoyer soon?

“That will be up to [General Manager] Ray [Farmer] and Pett to decide what direction we go there,” Haslam said.

This much is certain: The Browns are going to focus this offseason...
      -01-23-2015, 05:22 AM
    • Nick
      PFT: Manziel says he’s healthy, still interested in football
      by Nick
      Manziel says he’s healthy, still interested in football
      Posted by Zac Jackson on July 17, 2016, 12:37 PM EDT

Kent Baab of The Washington Post wrote an in-depth feature on the past, present and future of Johnny Manziel, and the story indicates that Manziel has made good on his previous vow to quit drinking as of July 1.

Manziel did not respond interview requests for the story. His spokeswoman, Denise Michaels, told Baab that Manziel is “content and settled,” and she emailed a statement from Manziel.

“I’m actually doing well,” he said in the statement. “I have good friends around me supporting what I do and I try to support them in what they want to do. I’m not saying I’m never drinking again, but for now just mostly being healthy. I’ve got a killer gym in my house and I can spend time working out. I’m interested in doing a lot of different things in my life — including football — but, right now, I’m just exploring options and waiting to see what the future holds.”

Manziel has only given interviews to TMZ since March, when he was released by the Browns. He’s had various legal issues, a public squabble with his father after his father called his son “a druggie,” and had a lawyer resign after he accidentally texted the Associated Press.

Saturday, Manziel was posting Instagram videos from Hawaii, where he appeared to be out for a run. He’s been relatively quiet on social media, though earlier this week he had a post mocking a clearance rack of his Browns jerseys.

The Washington Post story quotes a friend of Manziel it also identifies as his tattoo artist as saying he hasn’t seen Manziel drink alcohol in weeks but has seen him working out.

“He’s a young dude trying to have a good time,” the friend, Rafael Valdez, said. “He’s not the only one out there. We’re all doing this.”
      -07-17-2016, 09:43 AM
    Working...
    X