Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Jets] ABRAHAM A NO-GO

By MARK CANNIZZARO
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
    Print Reprint

December 28, 2004 -- Though Herman Edwards sounded as if he's not ruling out having John Abraham ready to play Sunday in St. Louis, Abraham yesterday acknowledged that he'll miss his fourth consecutive game Sunday because of his right knee injury.
    "I'm not playing this week," Abraham said yesterday. "I'm still rehabbing. Even if I played I wouldn't be able to help because I'm not at full speed. Just being out there doesn't help the team. We're not playing chess. I don't think me coming in right now will help. Bryan (Thomas) has been playing well.

"I'm getting better, walking better and feeling more comfortable. My goal is to be back for the first playoff game."

Abraham said he's done little more than jog so far. Edwards said in tomorrow's practice the plan is to have him try to run on it. "We'll know more as the week goes on," Edwards said.

Though Thomas has, indeed, played well in Abraham's absence, the Jets are badly missing his pass rushing prowess.

"Obviously, he's a Pro Bowl player," Edwards said. "He's a dominant guy as far as rushing the passer. That's what he brings to the table. That's why he goes to the Pro Bowl. So he changes his game for you, he changes how you have to block, he changes your protection, as far as rusher. That's what he brings to the table."

Jets' defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said that Sunday's loss to New England "might have been my worst game as a defensive coordinator calling plays."

"I put (the players) in some bad situations," he said. "If you go back and look at the game, some of my calls were great. It's the ones that don't work that beat you. I put them in some situations that were probably uncomfortable for them."

Henderson, for example, took blame for the zone the Jets were in on a Tom Brady scoring pass to TE Daniel Graham, who was wide open.

He said he opted to blitz Brady more than he did in the previous meeting because "I just didn't want to see him stand back there and deliver the ball like he did. I felt if we brought pressure up the middle we'd make him at least move around. For the most part we did that, but there were times he was throwing off his back foot and the guys would catch it."

Henderson praised Brady's poise in the face of blitzes, saying, "I've been around some pretty good ones and he's right in there among the best. He took it like a man."

Henderson has been questioned why he keeps playing veteran CB Terrell Buckley in the nickel packages instead of rookie Derrick Strait.

"As the defensive coordinator I have the right to play whoever I want to play," he said. "I took the stand to let 'T Buck' play over a young kid. That's the decision I made. When (Strait) got hurt he got set back. Once he got hurt we made the change. (Buckley) brings experience."

Edwards was asked if he feels now that he should have gone for the first down on fourth-and-two from the New England 37 trailing 13-0 in the third quarter to try to spark his dormant offense.

"You can always look back at things and say, I wish you would have done that, like I wish we could have caught the ball this or that situation," he said. "No, you decide something there, that's what you feel in your heart and you do it. There's still a lot of time left at that point. So you rely on your defense at that point."

Re: [Jets] ABRAHAM A NO-GO

Hmmmm, interesting, interesting. ;)

Comment

Re: [Jets] ABRAHAM A NO-GO

Chances are Martz just added this to his list of Pro's for the Passing Game over the Running Game.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
        [Jets] QB BRINGS ACHE GAME
        by DJRamFan
        Email Archives
        Print Reprint

December 28, 2004 -- THAT is not Chad Pen nington straining to push the Jets into the playoffs.
        It is Chad Painington.

It has been the dirty little secret around the Jets, because no one wants to give the opponent a competitive advantage, because no one, least of all Pennington, wants to use his pre-surgical shoulder as an excuse for starting 5-0 and now living on the edge of doom with P-Day Playoff Day arriving Sunday in St. Louis.

But everyone, especially defensive coordinators around the NFL, can see with his or her own eyes that the quarterback isn't right.

"It's not an injury, but it's an aggravation," Pennington revealed yesterday at his locker. "It's something that all athletes, all of us have to deal with some sort of inconvenience physically, whether it's tendinitis of the knees, a strained muscle, something like that. It's something that you deal with, and you try to fight through it, and that's what I'm doing. I'm just gonna keep my head up and keep fighting through it."

Have you changed your delivery at all?

"No, I don't think so."

What have you changed?

"To compensate? Nothing. I feel like I don't need to change anything as far as my delivery. Because really, the injured part of the shoulder has nothing to do with the follow-through or anything, it has to do with picking your arm up."

Of course, even when he was Chad Pennington, he couldn't beat the Patriots in October.

So what kind of chance do you think Chad Painington had to beat the Patriots Sunday? What kind of chance do you think he will have to get his team over the hump and beat them, or the Steelers, in January, if he is able to get past the Rams?

He can't borrow Joe Namath's arm. He can't trade Paul Hackett for Charlie Weis, and probably wouldn't want to, given their relationship. But if he can't throw the deep ball, and if his ball can't cut through the wind on sideline routes, then he had better lead, and manage the game, and be accurate, and Curtis Martin's running game and Donnie Henderson's defense had better rally around him like never before.

I asked Pennington whether he ever had to deal with the kind of inconvenience he is dealing with now.

"No," he said, "because last year it was the left hand. This is a central part of what I do. But I don't look at it as a hindrance. Hey, look at all quarterbacks; you gotta play with something normally every year."

Pennington at one point said he felt as well physically as he has since he returned. That only underscores the condition of his throwing shoulder when he returned. One insider, lauding Pennington's toughness, said: "It bothers him when he gets hit."...
        -12-28-2004, 11:05 AM
      • DJRamFan
        [Jets] Verge of collapse
        by DJRamFan
        Doubts start to creep in for reeling Chad and Jets

By RICH CIMINI
        DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Chad Pennington has no answers on Sunday, but still faced the press yesterday.

The only things missing yesterday at Weeb Ewbank Hall were a shrink and a leather couch in the middle of the Jets' locker room.

"It's like waking up from a bad dream," said Chad Pennington, describing the psyche of the team. "You wake up and you just don't believe that it happened."

Oh, it happened all right, a 23-7 meltdown against the Patriots, putting the Jets in a familiar back-to-the-wall scenario for the season finale Sunday in St. Louis. For Pennington, it was his second personal nightmare in three weeks and it seemed to hit him hard.

For the first time in his mostly successful tenure as the starting quarterback, Pennington expressed self-doubt. In a candid self-evaluation, he acknowledged that his recent struggles have caused him to wonder if his on-the-field demeanor has changed from 2002, the year he led the NFL in passing.

His conclusion: No, he hasn't changed. But a Monday morning Freud might say it was telling that the question crossed his mind. "Am I different than I was, say, in '02? I don't think so," said Pennington, who has compiled a poor touchdown-interception (28-21) ratio since 2002. "I think the difference between '02 and these last two years is that everything didn't go smooth coming back from an injury.

"I feel like my demeanor is good," he continued. "Obviously, ask my teammates and see how they feel, but I feel like they feed off me. It's just a matter of ... I don't know, I can't explain it right now. I'm looking for answers and I've got to find them quick because time is running out."

It's a one-game season for the Jets (10-5). If they beat the Rams, they clinch a wild-card berth and the fifth seed in the playoffs. If they lose, and the Bills and Broncos (both 9-6) win their final games, the Jets will miss the playoffs in what would be one of the biggest collapses in recent memory.

Some players admitted the offense lacks the necessary confidence to beat elite teams, which could be perceived as a dig at Pennington, who prides himself on being the sparkplug.

On Sunday, all eyes will be on Pennington, who has played miserably in the Jets' three biggest games. In two games against the Patriots and one against the Steelers, he has only one touchdown pass, five interceptions, two touchdown drives and an 0-3 record. Since returning from a strained rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder, which likely will require off-season surgery, Pennington is 2-2. Against the Steelers and Patriots, he made bad decisions and floated some passes.

Is his shoulder bothering him more than he's letting...
        -12-28-2004, 10:56 AM
      • DJRamFan
        [Jets] Jets' Chrebet Has No Plans to Retire
        by DJRamFan
        By ANDREA ADELSON
        AP Sports Writer

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- His role has diminished and so have his numbers, but Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet is happy.

He is healthy, no longer battling the effects of postconcussion syndrome. And he is thrilled to be a part of a team fighting for a playoff spot. Though he is in his 10th season with the Jets, Chrebet has no plans of retiring anytime soon.

"A third of my life has been in this locker room," Chrebet said this week. "This is where I want to be."

The decision might be out of his hands. Because the 31-year-old Chrebet has a smaller role these days, the Jets might cut him in March, when he is set to make a $400,000 roster bonus. Chrebet is scheduled to make $1 million in 2005, a lot of money for a role player.

Chrebet does not want to think about donning another uniform, brushing aside questions about his future with the team until after the Jets complete their season.

"I'm a Jet. I've been a Jet my whole career and I plan on being a Jet more," Chrebet said. "I can't think about that stuff now. It wouldn't be fair to myself or my teammates to go out there thinking that way. I need to be completely focused on the task at hand, which is obviously making plays to get us to the playoffs.

"When the season's over and I have time to sit down, we'll see what happens then. But it's not something I need to be thinking about right know. There's a lot of football left."

Of all the receivers in the NFL, only Troy Brown of New England and Isaac Bruce of St. Louis have been with their teams longer than Chrebet. Coincidentally, Bruce and the Rams play Chrebet and the Jets on Sunday, with playoff hopes on the line for both teams.

Having a chance to make the playoffs again means so much to Chrebet, especially after last season. Not only did the Jets go 6-10, but Chrebet was limited to seven games because of postconcussion syndrome. Chrebet came back this season knowing one more hit to the head could end his career.

He also returned knowing he would be the No. 3 receiver behind Santana Moss and Justin McCareins.

"When you're a competitive guy like Wayne, you just want a chance to be able to do the things you've normally done for some years," Moss said. "This is what he loves, this is what he's been doing for 10 years now. It's hard to leave it if you still have it in you. He's still shown he has it in him. Regardless of the situation, for him to handle it that way was great.

"You can learn from that. You can look at him and say this is how he handled the situation. He still hung in there and fought with us every week."

Because of Chrebet's...
        -01-01-2005, 04:09 PM
      • DJRamFan
        [Jets] Suddenly shaky Pennington
        by DJRamFan
        Chad Pennington quickly has reached a defining moment in his career.

He will either guide the Jets into the playoffs with a big game against a bad Rams team or, after presiding over their first 5-0 start, be held accountable for the biggest collapse/choke in team history.

"I'm like a volcano inside," Pennington said yesterday. "Sunday can't get here fast enough."

The tension was evident in the locker room on a day the Jets followed the handbook for teams in crisis and held an obligatory players-only meeting. They've been going at this non-stop since the end of July and now for the fourth time in the last five seasons, their playoff fate will be decided on the season's final day. After not losing until Oct. 24 then sitting in great shape at 9-3, a team meeting to fire each other up was not supposed to be on the agenda. Neither was a potential single-elimination season finale.

But these are the Jets. So nothing ever comes easy.

Pennington is only 2-2 since coming back from his shoulder injury. He played horribly in the December losses to Pittsburgh and New England with one touchdown and five interceptions as the Jets scored only 13 points. Suddenly it was appropriate to wonder if he will ever be an elite quarterback.

"I feel good," he said. "I'm not down on myself. I don't doubt myself at all."

This has been a difficult few weeks for the $64 million QB. He admits it's been the most "challenging" time of his career. Two years ago, he was Joe Montana coming down the stretch. This year he's been Joe Pisarcik.

"Every game is a defining moment," Pennington said. "I'm excited about it. But you know what? I can't talk about it. I just got to go do it."

Reputations are made or destroyed in season-deciding games. Pennington's career was set to take off after he carried the Jets into the playoffs two years ago. But he's since gone backwards. Now, so much is at stake for him in St. Louis.

"It's a hump game. Get over the hump," he said. "It's a hump game for me to play well in a big situation and perform well and win."

If the Jets win, they get to 11-5, tying the second-most regular-season victories in their 45 years. If they lose, they still get in the playoffs with a Bills or Broncos loss, but they're out if they lose and the Bills and Broncos win. They don't want to back in.

So, what happens Sunday? The Jets will beat the Rams and Pennington will play like he did against Seattle.

It's evident the Jets can't yet play with the big boys of the NFL. The Patriots are better than them. So are the Steelers. Probably the Colts, too. When the Jets step up in class, they can't handle it. But they...
        -12-30-2004, 02:15 PM
      • DJRamFan
        [Jets] Chrebet: I'm not finished
        by DJRamFan
        BY RICH CIMINI
        DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wayne Chrebet has no intention of retiring after the season.
        Expounding on comments he made last week, the Jets' wide receiver said yesterday that he still has "plenty of football left in me."

Asked if he wants to play in 2005, he said: "Oh, without a doubt. I don't think my ability has decreased or anything. I'm not on the field as much as I used to be, and my opportunities have decreased, but I guess at this point in my career, I guess that's what I want to do.

"I love football," he continued. "One-third of my life has been spent in this locker room. This is where I want to be."

The thing is, Chrebet, 31, could be released in the offseason. The Jets want to get bigger and faster at wide receiver. Justin McCareins and Santana Moss will return, rookie Jerricho Cotchery will have a bigger role and they may look to add a free agent.

Chrebet is due to make $1 million in 2005. His status could be determined by March, when he's scheduled to receive a $400,000 roster bonus.

Chrebet, who has a history of concussions, has played in every game, but he has only 29 receptions and one touchdown.

IMPROVEMENT?: Curiously, DE John Abraham (sprained knee) was upgraded to questionable even though Edwards acknowledged that his sack leader won't play against the Rams. Abraham, sidelined for three games, was expected to start running yesterday at practice. He hopes to play next week if the Jets qualify for the playoffs.

HERM GETS HARSH: NT Jason Ferguson, describing Herman Edwards' rousing speech to the team, said the coach didn't pull any punches.

"He was letting us know, 'Believe you're a good team. You better start winning.' He made some threats."

Originally published on December 30, 2004
        -12-30-2004, 02:17 PM
      Working...
      X