Sources: Redskins brass at odds over ending Robert Griffin III era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources: Redskins brass at odds over ending Robert Griffin III era

Makes that draft trade look even better....

From ESPN:

High-ranking Washington Redskins front-office officials and coaches want to part ways with quarterback Robert Griffin III, but are meeting resistance from team ownership, according to team and league sources.

The Redskins even have had trade conversations about Griffin with a handful of NFL teams, but have found no interest, and it remains unclear whether ownership would allow Washington to trade him, sources said.
    It is becoming increasingly apparent that Griffin has lost his starting quarterback job, and depending on the events and conversations in the coming days, possibly his roster spot. Outside of ownership, there has been a groundswell of support from a strong segment of football people within the organization to change quarterbacks, but there is a question about whether they have the authority to part ways with Griffin, sources said.
    Robert Griffin III's time in Washington could be running out as top-ranking Redskins officials are considering trading or releasing the quarterback, according to sources. Thomas B. Shea/Getty ImagesRedskins general manager Scot McCloughan was hired this past offseason to rebuild the team, so he looms as a possible X factor in any big personnel decision that involves Griffin as teams trim their rosters from 90 to 53 players over the next week. McCloughan's ability to produce a resolution that all sides can live with now looms large.
    One of the main issues now for the Redskins and other teams is Griffin's contract, which is guaranteed for $16.1 million in 2016 for injury only. When the Redskins announced they picked up the fifth-year option in Griffin's contract in April, many expected it to tie him to the franchise through 2016. Instead, it may have the opposite effect.
    If Washington plays Griffin this season -- and the NFL still has not cleared him to return to action from a recent concussion -- and he gets injured again, the Redskins cannot cut him until he's cleared to play again. In addition, should Griffin suffer an injury that extends into the 2016 season, his $16.1 million salary for next season is guaranteed. That could also scare off some teams interested in trading for Griffin.
    Even if ownership prevails and convinces the Redskins' front office to keep Griffin, he is not expected to hold on to his starting quarterback job. The Redskins are determined to start a different quarterback on opening day against the Miami Dolphins, and Griffin's time as the starter now appears over. The more significant question is whether his time in Washington is as well.
    ESPN senior NFL Insider Chris Mortensen contributed to this report.
    temp_4394_1467243487543_20
    RAMS!

Re: Sources: Redskins brass at odds over ending Robert Griffin III era

Talk about an epic fail.

Comment

From reppin' Subway to working at Subway: The Robert Griffin the Third story this Sunday on Lifetime.

I'm still wondering how he went from a pro bowl caliber QB to holding Kirk Cousin's clipboard. Can you really just forget how to Quarterback? Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

Comment

Fate doomed RG3 from the beginning. Whenever there's a Top-2 QB draft, the 1st one off the board is going to succeed, and the 2nd will bum out.

2012 - Andrew Luck and RG3
        1998 - Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf
        1993 - Drew Bledsoe and Rick Mirer
        1989 - Troy Aikman and Tony Mandarich (I know, I know...Mandarich wasn't a QB, but there was crazy talk about him being a better NFL prospect than Aikman at the time, so I threw them in.)

The lone glaring exception.....1999 - Tim Couch and Donovan McNabb

P.S. Makes you wonder about: 2015 - Jameis Winston and Marcus Marriota
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
          The lone glaring exception.....1999 - Tim Couch and Donovan McNabb
          I wonder what crazy team made that selection.

gap

Comment

Hey Hubi so far Marcus looks pretty darn good and Winston not so much but it is waaaaaaay early. But I was betting on Marcus from the outset and never liked Jameis at all. Time will tell on those two... But I like my bet so far allot! As for RG the third I was shocked he had one good season in him... My house odds say he is done, and not able or capable to have another. Only chance I think he has is behind the line in Dallas and he is given a year or two to get his body back as close as possiable to what it was his rookie season. Also studying under Tony Romo and Garret in Dallas would be a good thing for the guy imho. So I see Dallas as a place Robert might maybe make a go of it or in say Green Bay under Aaron but they have Hundley a bigger stronger tougher RG 3 kinda guy they don't need his scrawny buns up there. I still say Dallas might be his only chance... This will be fun to watch and our trade just looks better every season! Man I love our front office and organization now! And more every day stories like this come up...

;)
            Last edited by Randart; -09-01-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randart
              Hey Hubi so far Marcus looks pretty darn good and Winston not so much but it is waaaaaaay early. But I was betting on Marcus from the outset and never liked Jameis at all.
              I'm with you on this. I believe Marriota will be the better pro. We'll see.
              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Looking at the players they have become, the Skins could have taken Janoris Jenkins at number 6 overall in 2012 and it wouldn't have been a bad pick.
                @EssexRam_

Comment

For all the criticism of fisher and snead, you have to give them credit for making what currently appears to be the single most one sided trade in the history of the NFL (if the RG III era ends now in Washington). Personally, while he may be done in washington, i would be thrilled to take a shot at him if i was a team that had any need for a qb. I dont see how anyone can say that the upside is simply gone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Yah epic let down for those in Washington. But I am of mixed feelings--would have hoped that the Rams coming off the RGIII deal would have seen the playoffs at least ONCE--since that deal the Rams where never close to even sniff at the playoffs

Question:

Which is the greater loser the Redskins or the Rams? The Redskins for throwing away their future on a maybe (certainly the one year of success wasn't worth the price they paid to get it), or the Rams for failing to make the most out of one of the greatest deals in NFL history.

Its rather sobering when that discussion is framed that way. All in all RGIII was a poison pill for both teams...I guess my vote hedges more toward the Rams.

The owner, Synder, was and is the biggest problem with the Redskins and likely will always be. It reminds me of the adage of a BLIND SQUIRRILE LOOKING FOR A NUT...always a when or if he ever finds his nuts. The Rams don't have a Synder excuse

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
                      Yah epic let down for those in Washington. But I am of mixed feelings--would have hoped that the Rams coming off the RGIII deal would have seen the playoffs at least ONCE--since that deal the Rams where never close to even sniff at the playoffs

Question:

Which is the greater loser the Redskins or the Rams? The Redskins for throwing away their future on a maybe (certainly the one year of success wasn't worth the price they paid to get it), or the Rams for failing to make the most out of one of the greatest deals in NFL history.

Its rather sobering when that discussion is framed that way. All in all RGIII was a poison pill for both teams...I guess my vote hedges more toward the Rams.

The owner, Synder, was and is the biggest problem with the Redskins and likely will always be. It reminds me of the adage of a BLIND SQUIRRILE LOOKING FOR A NUT...always a when or if he ever finds his nuts. The Rams don't have a Synder excuse
                      I tend to agree with this. The trade made itself so I don't give Fisher or Snead credit for making it. Where they earn their money on this trade is turning it into wins and that hasn't happened. Sam got injured so it's hard to say where the blame lays but they didn't exactly use those pics to build a prolific offense around their franchise QB. Watkins and Stacy are gone. Pead is a 3rd string RB. Bailey seems to have an upside but they won't put him on the field. Robinson is a run blocking tackle. I can't help but wonder what a coach who wasn't stuck in the 90s would do with all those picks.

I also wonder what Cleveland's really offered. Was it ever disclosed?
                      Last edited by DE_Ramfan; -09-08-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                        Shanahan was ready to quit Redskins last year over RGIII/Snyder
                        by Nick
                        Owner-QB link disillusioned coach
                        Updated: December 8, 2013, 11:09 AM ET
                        By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

As speculation mounts about Mike Shanahan's future in Washington, details have emerged about the coach's dissatisfaction with the relationship between owner Dan Snyder and quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Disillusioned with the way Snyder was running the organization, Shanahan cleaned out his office in advance of January's wild-card playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks and expected to leave the team whenever the season ended, according to a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The source said Shanahan had grown tired of the way Snyder empowered Griffin and openly esteemed him above all other players. Shanahan didn't blame Griffin but did blame Snyder for creating an atmosphere that Shanahan did not believe was conducive to winning. Shanahan privately told people close to him that he felt Snyder's behavior with regard to Griffin was a "complete farce."

In spite of that, Shanahan believed he would be leaving the team on a very positive note, as the Redskins had won the NFC East in his third year as their coach and were preparing for a playoff run. He believed the team had come together and shown strong character during the seven-game winning streak on which it ended the regular season.

But when Griffin injured his knee in that playoff loss, a source said, Shanahan changed his plans. He believed leaving at that point was no longer an option. He didn't want the general public, or possibly even his players, to think he left because of Griffin's injury.

Contacted this weekend about this information, Shanahan declined to comment.

Through team spokesman Tony Wyllie, the Redskins said, "That story is ridiculous."

A team source said Shanahan had grown weary by January of the way Snyder treated Griffin, empowering his quarterback and helping make him feel bigger than the team. The issue apparently carried over into the offseason and into this season.

Snyder regularly sent his security team to accompany Griffin when he went out in Washington. Snyder's personal driver was spotted picking up Griffin's then-fiancee (now wife) at road games.

But it wasn't just Snyder's relationship with Griffin that irked Shanahan. It was also the way in which he dealt with employees who had less star power than his star quarterback, sources said. After Kirk Cousins relieved an injured Griffin last December in Cleveland and led Washington to a 38-21 victory over the Browns, players and coaches spotted Snyder standing at the quarterbacks' lockers, talking only to Griffin while, one source said, Snyder "didn't acknowledge" Cousins.

The strain in the Shanahan-Snyder relationship is one of several negative backdrops to a season gone wrong in Washington, and the question now is what happens...
                        -12-08-2013, 10:28 AM
                      • MauiRam
                        Rams reap the rewards of 2012 trade that allowed Redskins to draft Robert Griffin III
                        by MauiRam
                        By Mark Maske, Published: May 2

The final bill for their 2012 blockbuster trade for quarterback Robert Griffin III is about to come due for the Washington Redskins .

While the Redskins are scheduled to sit out Thursday nightís opening round of the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams have the second overall pick in what is being hailed as a talent-rich draft. The Rams possess that prized selection thanks to the trade in which they received a trio of first-round choices and a second-round pick from the Redskins, who increased the value of the dealís last remaining draft choice by going 3-13 last year, in Griffinís turbulent second NFL season.

The Rams thus far have transformed their draft-pick haul from the Griffin trade into seven players, including three promising starters on defense and a running back who was productive last season as a rookie. They could turn Thursdayís choice into a standout player or perhaps trade the pick to continue to try to stockpile talent. But itís clear that while the draft choices that changed hands in the deal at last could be exhausted Thursday, it will be quite some time before a final evaluation of the trade can be made.

ďAs with any of these trades, if the quarterback turns out to be a franchise quarterback, itís always hard to equate it on the other side unless you end up with a couple perennial Pro Bowl players,Ē said Charley Casserly, the former general manager of the Redskins and Houston Texans. ďThe jury is still out to a degree on RGIII. And itís still out to a degree on what the Rams got. You can certainly get a Pro Bowl player second overall. But there are no guarantees there yet that you have any perennial Pro Bowl players there.Ē

Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon said he initially was stunned at how much the Redskins gave up in the deal but, at least for now, he still would like to be on their side of the trade, if forced to choose.

ďIíd still be on the Redskinsí side,Ē Moon said. ďI still think heís going to be a really good player. He changed the mentality of that team. He changed everything around them. They had a great year and went to the playoffs [in Griffinís rookie season in 2012]. Last year he had the injury and he wasnít the same. I think heís healthy again and heíll have a good year with the new coaching staff. There was a lot of bad blood last year between him and [former Redskins coach] Mike Shanahan. The Rams have gotten some good players in that trade. But they havenít progressed as far as the Redskins.Ē

Many draft observers project the Rams to take a top offensive tackle, either Greg Robinson of Auburn or Jake Matthews of Texas A&M, with the second pick Thursday. If the Rams stay put at second overall Thursday, it would be the first time they didnít trade down to turn one of the first-round choices received in the Griffin deal into more picks.

The Rams traded down in 2012...
                        -05-03-2014, 04:59 PM
                      • Rambos
                        Rams - Redskins The RG3 Trade
                        by Rambos
                        First things first, it’s still way to soon to tell how the deal will payoff for both teams. That said after the first year most fans and media did not even want to wait and see what the Rams did with the boatload of picks. That was due to the great play of RG3 at the time. He was playing at such a high level it seemed the Redskins made the right move and the Rams missed out.

Now in the middle of the second year of the trade the impacts on the teams are polar opposite. The Rams are the youngest team in the NFL and the organization and fan base for the most part is thrilled with the direction of the team, even though they may not be thrilled with the team’s current record. The Rams are getting contributions from many of the players so far drafted from the trade.

The best player may have yet to arrive in St Louis as this year pick will be far higher then the 22nd pick or the 14th pick where the Rams selected Alec Ogletree and Michael Brockers.

The Redskins on the other hand maybe in for a coaching change and a new direction going forward. RG3 has brought a huge amount of talent with him but he also has brought a spotlight that burns bright. There seems to be more then the normal issues coming out of the Redskins locker room. Players and coaches seem to be in the media saying all the wrong things during this down turn. RG3 played like a super hero last year but this year he has gone from hero to zero in the eyes of many. Some fans and media calling for him to be benched and some having buyer’s remorse are think they should trade him while he has value to recoup some of those picks. This is silly for the most part as all young QBs need to develop and RG3 is no different. Many fans have high expectations and sometime are a bit unrealistic, we Ram fan know about that. But when you give up three ones and a second that has to come with far more pressure then the norm.

RG3 may become the elite QB the Redskins mortgaged their future for, we will have to wait and see. But in the short term he now has a big question mark with his play, leadership and health.

As far as the Rams are concerned it’s hard to imagine they won’t maximize that last pick. Who knows they may turn it into more then one player as they have done in each of the last two drafts.

Only time will tell how this plays out, but it does look like the pendulum has swung to the Rams side for the moment.
                        -11-27-2013, 08:36 AM
                      • MauiRam
                        Question on the draft picks obtained from the Redskins ..
                        by MauiRam
                        If the Redskins were to trade a player either during free agency or before the trade deadline expires for the 2012 season for a 2013 #1 pick, that would give them 2 number one draft picks next year. Since we own at least one, is there anything that would determine which team would get the higher of the two picks? Or is it simply the draft order, and any 1st round pick they obtain through a player trade (or whatever) are off limits?

Jay Glazer
                        Updated Mar 10, 2012 4:34 AM ET

The Washington Redskins have agreed to a trade with the St. Louis Rams in which Washington will receive the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft ó and plan to use it to select Heisman Trophy-winning Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III, FOXSports.com has learned.

Washington is trading up from the No. 6 pick in the April 26 draft.

The trade cannot become official until the start of the new league year, which begins next week (4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, the first official day of free agency).

Under the deal, the Redskins and Rams will swap first-rounders this year, sources said. The Rams also will receive two future first-round picks and a second-round pick, Rams vice president and chief operating officer Kevin Demoff confirmed to The Sports Xchange after the story first broke.

Redskins owner Dan Snyder had targeted Peyton Manning in free agency, but Manning did not reciprocate interest in playing in Washington. With Andrew Luck all but a foregone conclusion to go to the Colts at No. 1 overall, the Redskins then moved quickly to make sure they could acquire the other most coveted quarterback of the draft.

Assuming the Redskins take RG3, the Minnesota Vikings would then be on the clock with the No. 3 pick. Their short list likely includes offensive tackle Matt Kalil of USC, wide receiver Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State, and cornerback Morris Claiborne of LSU.

The bold move demonstrates how badly the Redskins are in need of a franchise quarterback after two decades of struggles. Coach Mike Shanahan has already whiffed on three in his two seasons in Washington, with Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck combining to produce an 11-21 record.

The Rams were in the market to trade because they already have their franchise quarterback, 2010 No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford. The Redskins had to make an offer they felt would outbid the quarterback-needy Cleveland Browns, who could have offered both the No. 4 and No. 22 selections in this year's draft.

Cleveland general manager Tom Heckert acknowledged Thursday he had talked to the Rams.

''We feel very comfortable staying at four and getting a good player there, and that could happen,'' he said. ''And we feel comfortable in moving down and getting more picks, we really do. It's way early to start talking about this stuff.''

By sacrificing four...
                        -03-10-2012, 12:03 PM
                      • MikeB1603
                        Barnwell: What's next for RG3
                        by MikeB1603
                        By Bill Barnwell
                        Nov. 25, 2014

The Robert Griffin III era appears to be drawing to a close in Washington. Once such a beloved figure that fans hunted down his wedding registry to send him gifts, Griffin has quickly become more isolated by the week. It was one thing when he was enduring calls for Kirk Cousins from a misguided subset of the fan base; itís another to have DeSean Jackson subgramming Griffin while Jay Gruden publicly excoriates his starting quarterback.

You can understand why Gruden would be aggressive about challenging Griffin and questioning his professional viability; he doesnít want to go down with the ship. Itís not out of the question for Daniel Snyder to fire his head coach after one season ó he sacked a far more renowned coach in Marty Schottenheimer after a lone 8-8 season to hire Steve Spurrier in 2002 ó and Gruden wants to have a shot at succeeding with a quarterback of his choosing. Thatís probably not anybody on the current roster.

It would be one thing if Griffin were playing at the level of an above-average starting quarterback, but that just hasnít been the case in his 119 pass attempts this season. Heís completing 69.7 percent of his attempts, which seems impressive, but his average throw has gone just 7.5 yards in the air, which is 23rd in the league among current NFL starters. His other metrics are around league-average, but Griffin has taken sacks on an unreal 13.6 percent of his dropbacks this season, and has fumbled four times. The sacks are the biggest reason why Griffinís QBR is just 26.7, a figure that beats out only Michael Vick, Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel, and Chad Henne among quarterbacks with 100 dropbacks or more.

Griffin has also stopped running, which added a significant chunk of value to his high-efficiency, low-volume work as a passer. Even in that now-distant 2012 season, Griffin threw just 393 passes in 15 starts, averaging a mere 26 pass attempts per contest. He supplemented that by running the ball an average of exactly eight times per game, producing an average of 54.3 yards per start. In his five starts this season, Griffin has run the ball a total of just 22 times and produced an average of 20 rushing yards per game.1

Griffin has also regressed mechanically. Greg Cosell put together a useful breakdown of Griffinís problems for Yahoo, including a play against the Buccaneers in which Griffin actually had each of his five eligible receivers open at the same time and failed to find any of them. Griffinís footwork is erratic, his throwing mechanics have been adversely affected by knee and ankle injuries, and his decision-making is spotty at best.

He hasnít looked anything like the guy who excelled in 2012, in part because Gruden has taken out the packaged plays and Baylor concepts that Kyle Shanahan installed in his scheme for Griffin coming out of college. Per ESPN Stats & Information, Washington has...
                        -11-25-2014, 07:52 PM
                      Working...
                      X